Photo
- - - - -

Change external HD or thumb drive icons.

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 One Lump Sum

One Lump Sum

Accumulator

• 38 posts

Posted 25 September 2009 - 08:14 PM

Just to clarify, I know how to change the icons when the drive is plugged into my computer, what I want to know is, I have a thumb drive that I used unetbootin to make a portable Ubuntu. When I make Ubuntu bootable from the thumb drive, the icon for my drive is changed to an Ubuntu icon, and this appears in ever computer its plugged into. What I want to know, is there a way to change my icons for my external hard drives, so no matter what computer their plugged into, the icon shows??

#2 poolsharkzz

poolsharkzz

XP - 'till the world blows up!

• 403 posts

Posted 25 September 2009 - 08:40 PM

Is this what you are looking for?

This is for XP...

Launch RegEdit and navigate to:

HKEY / Local Machine / Software / Microsoft / Windoes / Current Version / Explorer

If a subkey named "DriveIcons" is present, open it; if not, right-click in the right-hand pane, select New | Key and name the key: "DriveIcons". (without the quotes)

Under the DriveIcons key, find or create a subkey named C (or the letter of the drive whose icon you want to change). And under this C key find or create a subkey named DefaultIcon.

Double-click the (Default) entry in the right-hand pane and set its value to the full pathname of the icon-holding file, a comma, and the icon index.

Again you'll need to restart Windows.

http://www.pcmag.com...,1847172,00.asp

poolsharkzz

I have another idea:

Look for a file called "AutoRun" or "Desktop" located inside your External Hard Drive -

There should be a setting or two that you can change - see attached screen shots...

Attached File  AutoRun.png   71.54K   18 downloads

Edited by poolsharkzz, 25 September 2009 - 08:46 PM.

#3 One Lump Sum

One Lump Sum

Accumulator

• 38 posts

Posted 25 September 2009 - 09:04 PM

There isn't an autorun file in the drive, even w/ view hidden files enabled. Do you think I could create an autorun.inf file and that would work??

#4 poolsharkzz

poolsharkzz

• 403 posts

Posted 25 September 2009 - 09:22 PM

It might work...

You could also try deleting your Icon Cache File and then restart your computer to rebuild it - it could be corrupted.

Are you running XP? It's a hidden file...

Just run a search for "IconCache.db"

Also, it could be the size of your Icon Cache:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced\IconCache]
"Text"="Icon Cache Size"
"Type"="group"
"Bitmap"="%SystemRoot%\\system32\\SHELL32.dll,253"
"HelpID"="update.hlp#51140"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced\IconCache\Huge]
"RegPath"="Software\\Microsoft\\Windows\\CurrentVersion\\Explorer"
"Text"="8192 Icons"
"Type"="radio"
"CheckedValue"="8192"
"ValueName"="Max Cached Icons"
"DefaultValue"="2048"
"HKeyRoot"=dword:80000002
"HelpID"="update.hlp#51140"

Then go to Control Panel, and click on Folder Options, then on the View tab, and then scroll down and make sure under "Icon Cache Size" is says: 8192 Icons

Attached File  Folder Options.png   231.92K   13 downloads

#5 One Lump Sum

One Lump Sum

Accumulator

• 38 posts

Posted 25 September 2009 - 10:16 PM

Thanks for helping, I appreciate it. I'm on Windows 7 RC. Heres where I'm at so far. I'm trying to do my bootable thumb drive 1st, since it has an autorun file. Heres what it looks like when inserted to a computer:

Posted Image

And here is the autorun file:

Posted Image

I placed a .png named Ubuntu in the drive and tried changing the autorun using Ubuntu.png; Ubuntu; Ubuntu.png,0; and Ubuntu,0. Restarted every time, and when I do, the icon shows up as a generic unknown icon. I deleted my IconCache too, and tried the same thing using a .ico file.

Also, I do not see the icon cache size in my folder options, or in my registry. Is that something I have to add manually??

Thanks again.

#6 poolsharkzz

poolsharkzz

• 403 posts

Posted 25 September 2009 - 10:34 PM

I'm sorry, I am a full-blown XP guy with just a bit of Vista - I have very little experience with Windows 7...

There has to be someone here who can help with this...

Ladies and Germs?

If there is no one you could try checking out: www.askvg.com

That dude really knows his stuff!

poolsharkzz

Attached Files

Edited by poolsharkzz, 25 September 2009 - 10:52 PM.

#7 One Lump Sum

One Lump Sum

Accumulator

• 38 posts

Posted 25 September 2009 - 10:46 PM

Yeah, askvg was my next stop. Thanx for the help though, appreciated.

#8 One Lump Sum

One Lump Sum

Accumulator

• 38 posts

Posted 25 September 2009 - 11:55 PM

Thank you for the useful info poolsharkzz. I created an autorun.inf file for the externals and added a .ico, named it in the file and BAM!! Now I have a custom icon for my externals, plugged them into 3 different computers, 7, Vista, and XP, showed up in all. Thanx again!! By the way, you play pool?? I was in the APA for a few years. Division champ 3 time, twice for 8 ball, 1 for Double Jeopardy, and went to Regionals once as individual 8 Ball.

#9 poolsharkzz

poolsharkzz

• 403 posts

Posted 26 September 2009 - 01:32 AM

Your welcome - I am glad I could help...

Yes, your post brings back some good memories!

I also used to shoot with the APA - did a stint or two as a Junior Master, competed a few times in the World Pool Masters Tourney...

I just recently took 9th out of 43 in a local 9 ball competition. I don't shoot much anymore - the Wifey wants me at home most nights but I sneak out once in a while.

I best known locally, I grew up in a bar so all them old timers taught me the trade...

Here ya go:

During my "golden years", I would walk into a bar and find some schmuck and bet him $50.00 that I could leave the cue ball after my shot within 1 inch of a quarter that I allowed him to place wherever on the table... and the dummy could set the shot up as well!

Most of the time the cue ball would all-so-very gently stop just right next to that quarter...

Can you say: "Bottom left English"??? LOL

I had a good run for a few years. I never held a job during college - pool paid for most of my bills!

poolsharkzz

PS. I still keep one of my trophies sitting on my desk...

Attached File  Trophy.gif   154.99K   5 downloads

#10 PurplePeopleEater

PurplePeopleEater

I'm an Android fanboy sue me

• 4,090 posts

Posted 26 September 2009 - 01:51 AM

I did write a guide to make an autorun.inf file but then I read the thread and relised this topic is solved

Edited by PurplePeopleEater, 26 September 2009 - 01:53 AM.

#11 One Lump Sum

One Lump Sum

Accumulator

• 38 posts

Posted 26 September 2009 - 02:29 AM

Nice Trophy!! I never went that far. My Uncle was a Harley ridin bar hopper who used to hustle a few tables in his day. He taught me how to play when I was younger. Taught me how to make a lil money, had me practice for hours shooting left handed, and I'm a righty :whistle: . LoL. After high school, I dedicated 4-6 days a week at a local hall. Had a couple vets help hone my skills. Mostly played 9 ball, 3 ball, and pea pool. Wasn't til I started in the APA that I learned a whole new game. Way different rules, didn't learn so much about defense til the APA. I'll tell you what, bar players get pissed when you lock them up with a safety shot!! Don't get to play much now, was in between jobs for a while (Good ole automotive), ended up selling my Joss and McDermott cues. Regret that. Been working steady now for a year, had a son in March, and working on getting A+ Certified. Love to get into it again. I too have my Plaques on my wall in my office. Had my own team for a while too, we were called Bad English, LoL.

#12 Eranda Gunathilaka

Eranda Gunathilaka

My First Post!

• 1 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 11:44 AM

External Flash Drive, External Hard Disk, both of them are USB storage devices,

To change icon, the method is same,

Visit this site,

There are many incredible things like Change Icon

SmartUSB.net

Want to comment?

Register or Sign In to go completely ad-free!