Got a virus, need urgent help!

• Please log in to reply
103 replies to this topic

#41 The Alpha Gamer

The Alpha Gamer

Active WinMatrixian

• 996 posts

Posted 24 September 2009 - 07:53 PM

2.) I thought you had an HP laptop because acording to your Hijack This Log you are running HP Software - possibily an HP Printer?

Ah yeah, one of my mum's printers was a HP, but the laptop itself is a Packard Bell

Let's do this: Provide me with the general basics of your system. You can find this info by using the System Control Panel Applet

Which details do you want?

3.) Why can't you change the anti-virus software you currently using?

Because it's my dad's laptop and he doesn't want me changing it

It is good to see that you ran both SUPERAntiSpyware and Spybot S&D again - how many nastys? Some were Tracking Cookies - What were the others? Can you provide me with some kind of report or log?

338 nastys with SUPERAntispyware, 320 ware Tracking cookies, I have no idea what the others were, here's the log

Spoiler

Okay - You have your marching orders - follow the advise that gave Syzygy gave you.

I showed that thread to my dad and he said not to. The guy on that forum had more viruses than we have, how can you be sure what he was told to use would be what I should use? Besides, the instructions for Combofix and SDFix say you should only using them if you have a professional helping you.

#42 poolsharkzz

poolsharkzz

XP - 'till the world blows up!

• 403 posts

Posted 24 September 2009 - 08:56 PM

Attached File  Confused.gif   4.74K   0 downloads Attached File  Weird.gif   18.04K   0 downloads Attached File  Idiot.gif   10.45K   0 downloads

Edited by poolsharkzz, 25 September 2009 - 07:55 PM.

#43 The Alpha Gamer

The Alpha Gamer

Active WinMatrixian

• 996 posts

Posted 24 September 2009 - 09:09 PM

First of all, my dad doesn't use the laptop at all, never said anything about you personally and hasn't even seen this thread. Second, why tell mods to close it when all I've done is ask for help? Third, maybe it would have helped to tell me you had 10 years of experience with this stuff at the start of the thread.

So, if I scan with one of the programs I already have in safe mode it should fix everything? How easy is it to use safe mode?

#44 The Alpha Gamer

The Alpha Gamer

Active WinMatrixian

• 996 posts

Posted 24 September 2009 - 09:47 PM

Ok I just tried starting the laptop while pressing F8, all I got was a menu saying Boot device with four options: Floppy, CD, Harddrive and something else. No mention of a safe mode.

#45 poolsharkzz

poolsharkzz

• 403 posts

Posted 24 September 2009 - 10:52 PM

Try using Google, it can be your best friend:

"safe mode on a Packard Bell laptop"

http://www.google.co...op&aq=f&oq==

I would also check out:

http://forum.packardbell.com/en/

http://support.packardbell.com/uk/

http://packardbell.c...ny/contact.html

All the answers are throughout this thread -

Good Luck!

poolsharkzz

Attached File  Land Mine.gif   17.7K   0 downloads

Edited by poolsharkzz, 25 September 2009 - 08:09 PM.

#46 The Alpha Gamer

The Alpha Gamer

Active WinMatrixian

• 996 posts

Posted 24 September 2009 - 11:14 PM

Is there a need for that attitude?

#47 CommonSense

CommonSense

Super WinMatrixian

• 2,620 posts

Posted 24 September 2009 - 11:40 PM

I don't think that was called for poolsharkzz, it really wasn't.

Just scan in Safe Mode. You can also activate booting Safe Mode with msconfig in the normal Windows mode. Yeah I'm just reinforcing Syzygy's advice. Just do it, or live with the virus until you reinstall. It's good to backup every once in a while though, if you can.

#48 Syzygy

Syzygy

Zing.

• 3,470 posts

Posted 25 September 2009 - 12:30 AM

Is there a need for that attitude?

Okay, lets hope this gets you a bit more comfortable.

Safe mode can be accessed by pressing F8 continuously before the boot-load animation (On XP, it has the blue/green bar moving across the screen).

Posted Image
Remember, you have to keep pressing F8 BEFORE THIS^ screen is shown.

If pressed correctly, it should display this (It may require a few turns, don't expect to get it first go):

Posted Image

Once accessed, the screen will have 'safe mode' written in all corners, and the Build number on the top. It can only be accessed by the F8 button - or if your computer has crashed and windows asks you to go into it.

Once you restart after using safe mode, windows will boot into normal mode. The only difference between normal mode, and safe mode is that most services and programs are not started up - only the core essentials for the system to run are on (Hence, why this is the best time to scan for viruses, as they are NOT running).

Now back to the virus removal. Use the thread link that I gave you, he did have another strain of virus but the point is that SDFix and ComboFix did the job - they do the same as other virus scanners but are better for that type of virus (E.g. SDFix can remove your trojan, but Spybot SD can't). To be honest, that professional use only thing is jargon that people use to get their names out there - there is nothing you can't try. There's not going to be any damage done to your computer if you use ComboFix/SDFix or anything else (Unless you got rogue ware scanning your computer).

Just do what the thread tells the other guy to do - and post your Logs here, it's common sense to be able to read them and a professional is NOT needed to do any of that. Trust me, although I'm young - I know what I'm doing (Not the first time...)

Edited by Syzygy, 25 September 2009 - 12:33 AM.

#49 The Alpha Gamer

The Alpha Gamer

Active WinMatrixian

• 996 posts

Posted 25 September 2009 - 01:17 AM

(E.g. SDFix can remove your trojan, but Spybot SD can't).

If SDFix can remove it, why do I need Combofix aswell?

#50 coldemone

coldemone

Sleeping Winmatrixian

• 2,029 posts

Posted 25 September 2009 - 08:11 AM

really nasty virus, wow.

Edited by coldemone, 25 September 2009 - 08:16 AM.

#51 The Alpha Gamer

The Alpha Gamer

Active WinMatrixian

• 996 posts

Posted 25 September 2009 - 07:20 PM

Ok I just went into safe mode and scanned with SDFix. After it had finished in normal mode I tried to do a scan with Spybot but my laptop froze again, so I turned it off and on and scanned with Spybot

SDFix report
Spoiler

Spybot results
Spoiler

#52 poolsharkzz

poolsharkzz

• 403 posts

Posted 25 September 2009 - 08:07 PM

I see you are still struggling with this.

Needless to say, after sleeping on it, I realized that I was a bit too harsh...

So I edited a few of my last few posts.

poolsharkzz

Attached File  Baker.gif   16.49K   0 downloads Attached File  Pancakes.gif   14.86K   0 downloads

#53 The Alpha Gamer

The Alpha Gamer

Active WinMatrixian

• 996 posts

Posted 25 September 2009 - 08:37 PM

Still struggling? Don't the SDFix and Spybot results mean I've gotten rid of it? o_O

#54 poolsharkzz

poolsharkzz

• 403 posts

Posted 25 September 2009 - 10:09 PM

I am not sure...

You computer was and still is somewhat of a mess!

This is what I would do:

Before you do anything, I want you to take a screen shot of your Task Manager - click on the "Processes Tab" first - I want to see what's going on there and what's still running after start-up.

I still want the basics of that system: Processor, RAM, HD, Model, and it's approx age.

1.) Uninstall everything that you do not need to run that compter, such as:

All the Toolbars:

Google Toolbar
MSN Toolbar
ImageShack Toolbar
Windows Sidebar

2.) Uninstall all the Crapware you don't need, such as:

Adobe Reader
QuickTime Player
Free Download Manager
Megaupload Mega Manager
Gmail Notifier
ViOrb
Taskbar Shuffle
Real Player - it's spyware!

And anything else that is not necessary to run this computer - make a list of what you are uninstalling cause you can always reinstall everything later!

3.) Finally, uninstall Avast Antivirus - It's what got you into trouble in the first place - you can reinstall it later:

http://www.avast.com...ast_4_home.html

I want to run additional scans in Safe Mode using a few other Antivirus and Spyware Apps before I would feel safe!

You shouldn't have more than 1 Antivirus Software running on your computer at the same time because it will cause conflicts and false positives.

4.) After that, I would take a gander at all the background running processes you have going on there and shut off or set to manual everything that you are not using or do not need - use this guide:

http://www.theelderg...vices_guide.htm

After you dealt with the Services as explained in "The Elder Geek's" Guide - I will have your next group of assignments.

Curious, are you learning anything yet?

poolsharkzz

Attached Files

Edited by poolsharkzz, 25 September 2009 - 10:17 PM.

#55 CommonSense

CommonSense

Super WinMatrixian

• 2,620 posts

Posted 25 September 2009 - 10:20 PM

Still struggling? Don't the SDFix and Spybot results mean I've gotten rid of it? o_O

It looks gone to me, but I'm not a professional. Are you still experiencing the network usage? How come you didn't remove those other spywares that were in the results?

#56 The Alpha Gamer

The Alpha Gamer

Active WinMatrixian

• 996 posts

Posted 25 September 2009 - 10:44 PM

poolsharkzz: Half of that stuff I do need though.

CommonSense: Haven't really been paying attention to the network usage since, and what other spywares? o_O

#57 poolsharkzz

poolsharkzz

• 403 posts

Posted 25 September 2009 - 11:11 PM

I understand...

You do not need them this very minute - You can reinstall them all at a later date!

Why do you argue? Just follow my simple instructions...

I mean, you still cannot run and finish a simple Spybot scan without overheating and crashing your system..

Need I say more?

Read over again my last post. The whole post - not just what you wanted to read, okay?

Do you enjoy arguing and fighting with the folks who are trying to help?

"Those other spywares" - the ones from your latest screen shot, I believe CommonSense was getting at...

poolsharkzz

Attached File  Bloody_massacre.gif   68.85K   0 downloads

#58 The Alpha Gamer

The Alpha Gamer

Active WinMatrixian

• 996 posts

Posted 25 September 2009 - 11:33 PM

I understand...

You do not need them this very minute - You can reinstall them all at a later date!

Why do you argue? Just follow my simple instructions...

I mean, you still cannot run and finish a simple Spybot scan without overheating and crashing your system..

Need I say more?

Read over again my last post. The whole post - not just what you wanted to read, okay?

Do you enjoy arguing and fighting with the folks who are trying to help?

"Those other spywares" - the ones from your latest screen shot, I believe CommonSense was getting at...

poolsharkzz

Attached File  Bloody_massacre.gif   68.85K   0 downloads

I can do a Spybot scan without my laptop overheating, I've proved that atleast twice in this thread, I just can't do it everytime.
I did read your last post and I argue because all I want to do is get rid of the virus, not do a whole spring cleaning job.

And if that's what CommonSense meant, I did get rid of those, I just took the printscreen first.

#59 poolsharkzz

poolsharkzz

• 403 posts

Posted 26 September 2009 - 12:34 AM

"I can do a Spybot scan without my laptop overheating, I've proved that at least twice in this thread, I just can't do it everytime."

Hmm... Don't that get you thinking? I mean, are you serious?

"I argue because all I want to do is get rid of the virus, not do a whole spring cleaning job."

This means either you are too lazy to completely fix your computer or your are not skilled enough to follow simple directions so that you never have these kinds of problems ever again and learn a thing or two during the whole process.

Hold the phone: I get it now - This means you will never again ask anyone here at WinMatrix for help with any future virus or spyware problem?

Ansewer these questions:

Can you tell me if the virus is gone?
Can you tell me if there isn't other nastys in your system - you found how many?
Can you tell me if that virus or some other nasty did some serious harm to your system?
What Service Pack are you on? What Service Pack should you be at?
What other Security measures do you have in place?
Would you like your computer to run better?
Would you like to have your internet connection a bit faster?

Even though your system today may be totally clean of the virus and all the other nasties - there is a whole lot more to do - otherwise you will be back here asking for our help again in 6 months!

Just because you ran a Spybot scan doesn't mean your clean - it's just means your are clean from the stuff Spybot scans for...

There are many Antivirus and Spyware Apps out there - some only scan for a few things or many things, others scan for all kinds of things but not one of them scans for everything...

Trust me when I say that anyone who knows would not be caught dead using that system until you did some "spring cleaning".

It's your system - you live with it.

You can take a horse to water, but you cannot make it drink...

poolsharkzz

PS. For Future reference, I would not argue with the folks that are trying to help you...

Review how this thread went - do you see the difference?

http://www.winmatrix...ver-properties/

Attached File  Hammer_time.gif   14.83K   0 downloads

Edited by poolsharkzz, 26 September 2009 - 05:49 PM.

#60 The Alpha Gamer

The Alpha Gamer

Active WinMatrixian

• 996 posts

Posted 26 September 2009 - 12:46 AM

"Can you tell me if the virus is gone?"

How? You just said yourself that you can't trust just one scan

"Can you tell me if there isn't other nastys in your system - you found how many?"

Again, how when I've only done one scan so far?

"Can you tell me if that virus or some other nasty did some serious harm to your system?"

Well it's working, so if it did, it couldn't have been that serious, could it?

"What Service Pack are you on? What Service Pack should you be at?"

SP2. SP2.

"What other Security measures do you have in place?"

Well I have antivirus, two antispyware scanners, an antimalware scanner, Combofix and SDFix

"Would you like your computer to run better?"

It's running fine aslong as that virus is gone, if it aint broke, why fix it?

"Would you like to have your internet connection a bit faster?"

Well I use Dial-up and Mobile Broadband, so I'd like it alot faster! Alas, I don't think any of us here are miracle workers.

Want to comment?

Register or Sign In to go completely ad-free!