Body Modifications

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
26 replies to this topic

#1 Linda V

Linda V

OHLOOKIEME.

• 212 posts

Posted 19 September 2009 - 05:17 PM

So I know all of us here are big in to computer customizations but I'm curious to know about what you guys think of body modifications. In example: piercings, stretching, tattoos, etc. etc. I noticed that many people here listen to heavy metal or a form of rock, and looks have always been synonymous alongside the music, which is why I'm asking ;).

I personally have two monroes and I recently stretched my ears from a 12 to a 4 (yes on my own, OUCHIES). Tattoos are in the works and I already have the basis of what I'll get, all with their own special meanings rather than the common stars. I always get mixed reviews ranging from "Oh, it looks so cute! It looks good on you!" to "Why would you do that to your face!?" and even some "You're going to hell!" and "You'll never get a good job!" which I am perfectly aware of. I even got suspended from school 2 years ago, though I still didn't take my piercings out when I came back ;)

To me, body modifications have always been an aesthetic, an enhancement to the face or body part you choose. It's an art form, a way of life. Adding to the blank canvas that is your body. Yet I notice that it has also become a trend of sorts, with the "rawkstar" thing going around and the insane hair dying. Mine is black, simple, long with no specific cut.

What about you? What do you think? Just take a look at my avvy to see my monroes, I'll post a peekcha with my stretched ears later.
Just decided to post something since it's been a few days x)

#2 SharmanNet

SharmanNet

Super WinMatrixian

• 1,543 posts

Posted 19 September 2009 - 06:35 PM

Not a big fan of piercings but I like tattoos. I have one on my arm.
I like your Monroe piercing btw. :)

#3 Linda V

Linda V

OHLOOKIEME.

• 212 posts

Posted 19 September 2009 - 09:38 PM

^That's sweet! Can I ask what you have on your arm? I plan on getting a full arm sleeve of a snake wrapping around my arm surrounded in rose petals and thorns. And thank you! :)

@everyone
Just a quick question, but would you ever date anyone with piercings/tattoos?

#4 xsever

xsever

ECE

• 996 posts

Posted 19 September 2009 - 10:08 PM

No offense and I do not mean anything personal here, but I would not. I do not think they make a human being prettier (physically and morally) in any way. It's the opposite actually.

A good looking case with a Pentium 2 in it is not as impressive as a Core i7 in a decent case! :D

(The case being the physical aspect while the CPU being the moral aspect.)

#5 K.L.Devine

K.L.Devine

Active WinMatrixian

• 898 posts

Posted 19 September 2009 - 10:09 PM

@everyone
Just a quick question, but would you ever date anyone with piercings/tattoos?

Why not? Tattoos are cool. :D

#6 Linda V

Linda V

OHLOOKIEME.

• 212 posts

Posted 19 September 2009 - 11:14 PM

@xsever
Haha, everyone's entitled to opinions and if people get offended it's all on them.
But can you please elaborate on the morally part for me? A person is still a person despite ink & metal right?

@K.L. Devine
Well would you ever get one yourself?
And as you can see from xsever's post, that's why I asked the whole dating question. :P

#7 CommonSense

CommonSense

Super WinMatrixian

• 2,620 posts

Posted 19 September 2009 - 11:20 PM

I think ear piercings are fine as long as it isn't overkill. Belly button piercings are pretty sexy. A nose stud isn't a problem. I don't like every other piercing though.

Tattoos are cool. But as long as it isn't overkill. Like for a girl, a sleeve is too much in my opinion. But something small on her body would be okay, like back shoulder or something.

Uhm as long as it's not overkill with the piercings and tattoos, I would date them, as long as their personality is amazing too. It's more than just the outside for me, and I think it's like that for most people. But the first thing is physical attraction. If you can't be attracted to what they look like, you wouldn't date them, would you?

#8 PurplePeopleEater

PurplePeopleEater

I'm an Android fanboy sue me

• 4,090 posts

Posted 19 September 2009 - 11:34 PM

I like piercings but I hate tatoos, well I think snake bites are the dumbest thing ever

#9 Linda V

Linda V

OHLOOKIEME.

• 212 posts

Posted 19 September 2009 - 11:49 PM

@CommonSense
Overkill as in a row of piercings on the lining of the ear? I hate that too haha.

What do you think of her sleeve?
VVVVVV
Spoiler

I think the only thing I hate about tattoos on certain people, is the fact that it mostly means nothing or they get something utterly retarded, like a fleur de lis, nautical star, candy and sweets, or some other thing like that.

I've always thought that tattoos like this we're beautiful :
Spoiler

And that's exactly what I think for the relationship spectrum.

@PurplePeopleEater
I started thinking snakebites were the most stupid thing ever when I saw 12 year olds with them at the venue I work/volunteer at. <_<

@everyone
I'll be honest, I hate eyebrow piercings and tongue rings. ERGHHHHH.

#10 xsever

xsever

ECE

• 996 posts

Posted 20 September 2009 - 12:04 AM

@ Linda V

A person is still INDEED a person despite ink & metal, but there's a difference between a normal person and a metal-pierced, ink-painted person.

To me they look ugly and unauthentic. They do not make a better person in any way. I understand that not everyone tries to become a better person, but think about it. What are you gaining?

I also do not know how old you are, but some things look/sound very stupid as you grow up/mature. Some learn from their mistakes, and some learn from others'.

#11 Linda V

Linda V

OHLOOKIEME.

• 212 posts

Posted 20 September 2009 - 12:27 AM

@xsever
When it goes deep down in to it, were basically all the same just a few physical differences. I understand your view though, because this was the same exact issue I had when I got suspended two years ago and the dean was TRYING, I repeat TRYING, because I'm too pig headed to listen to anyone with a disillusioned form of higher authority, when she spoke of "Only people who are drug dealers and trash get piercings." Yet I still was the same person, who made the same grades with a slight, PHYSICAL extra. My mentality doesn't change. I don't do drugs, I don't drink, and I certainly don't "sleep around" nor have I ever "slept" at all.

It's not all about gaining, it's about what makes you feel comfortable. Different fashion sets that just fit right. It's just like how you should ask why don't you get piercings? What aren't you gaining? It's nothing either way.

And I'm 16. Though age shouldn't have to constantly play a part in these things, because experience makes a person rather than the age everyone seems to bring up and latch on to. I know what I want, I understand the repercussions of my actions.

:) Please, don't get offended because I was re-reading what I wrote and it sounds all high and mighty, I'm sorry haha.

#12 CommonSense

CommonSense

Super WinMatrixian

• 2,620 posts

Posted 20 September 2009 - 12:38 AM

Yup that girl's is too much for me. I prefer them hidden. I don't like tattoos large and out there. That guy's is pretty artistic though.

#13 Linda V

Linda V

OHLOOKIEME.

• 212 posts

Posted 20 September 2009 - 12:50 AM

^This is where I rant about feminism and how women are equal with men in everything. :lol:

OH, AND ALSO
if you guys don't mind piercings, would you ever get one for yourself? a tattoo also? any plans as to what you want? etc. etc. haha

Edited by Linda V, 20 September 2009 - 12:51 AM.

#14 CommonSense

CommonSense

Super WinMatrixian

• 2,620 posts

Posted 20 September 2009 - 12:52 AM

^This is where I rant about feminism and how women are equal with men in everything. :lol:

A girl can have a tattoo like that guy's. I just won't talk to her. I like my girls "clean". I'm not saying tattoos are "dirty" though. :P

#15 zool

zool

Kohzoku Oni

• 1,064 posts

Posted 20 September 2009 - 01:01 AM

^Same here. They look like "death metal" for me. You'll get a lot of attentions when tattooing your body. There is a lot of people out there that will stare at you with scary looks. Does it bother you if someone stare you like and thinking you as a freak?

#16 Linda V

Linda V

OHLOOKIEME.

• 212 posts

Posted 20 September 2009 - 01:11 AM

@CommonSense
Haha, I understand what ya mean.

@zool
I've gotten a lot of mixed reviews and the main question I ask myself is, "Why should I care what people think?" and then I reply "Oh wait, I don't." :P

I know this one particular time, I went to Toys-R-Us and this lady looked as if she wanted to KILL me, HOLY CRAP, I was frightened at the probability of her getting a toy pitchfork, setting it on fire, and running after me with it.
But that was my imagination on overdrive, she just looked like she wanted to do it the whole time.

#17 xsever

xsever

ECE

• 996 posts

Posted 20 September 2009 - 01:16 AM

@ Linda

Please do not feel like I am trying to change you or anything. I am simply stating my opinion and I wanted to make things clear.

I agree with you about the age part. It has nothing to do. But remember me, that your perspective to a lot of things will change as you grow up. "Some age, others mature." :D

As I said, if it does not make you a better person, why bother with it? Why inject your skin with metals and/or ink? It looks ugly and unnatural for me. It's like someone is trying too hard to impress. That's just how I see it.

#18 fediaFedia

fediaFedia

Super WinMatrixian

• Elites
  • 2,553 posts

Posted 20 September 2009 - 07:29 AM

I agree with xserver, any kind of permanent body modifications don't make a person better or any more attractive. And it's sometimes malicious because there are a lot of people who overdo it. Example http://media.ebaumsw...9ee97fdbfef.jpg (warning: cannot be unseen) I wouldn't want to be within the radius of 100 meters with this guy.

#19 Ace Starr

Ace Starr

the winmatrix addict

• 289 posts

Posted 20 September 2009 - 10:19 AM

I have got to respond to this but I don't even know where to begin being so late to this discussion.

@ Linda:
I respect you Linda, for taking no bull from that princi. And I respect your views on this.

When it goes deep down in to it, were basically all the same just a few physical differences. I understand your view though, because this was the same exact issue I had when I got suspended two years ago and the dean was TRYING, I repeat TRYING, because I'm too pig headed to listen to anyone with a disillusioned form of higher authority, when she spoke of "Only people who are drug dealers and trash get piercings." Yet I still was the same person, who made the same grades with a slight, PHYSICAL extra. My mentality doesn't change. I don't do drugs, I don't drink, and I certainly don't "sleep around" nor have I ever "slept" at all.

Exactly. I think the only thing that changes is the perception of strangers about you. I mean, when I first saw you pic, I thought, "hmmm... this gal is a kook". But I'm 22. A thirty year old would probably think differently about you (Which is probably why you won't get the job :P ) But then to hell with them. If you don't care about the world, then, do just what you feel like.

Having said that, however, My own thoughts are more like Commonsense and xserver. Being a pagan/vegetarian (vegan if you discount my wallet)/universalist/simplest(KISS)/green activist, I just hate the idea of changing anything thats natural. (This question of "how would you like it if an elephant painted itself blue or fiery orange?" pops into my head, god knows why :o).
Girls with pierced ears and noses are fine, but tongues or any other part, I would keep my distance. Girls with tattoos like the first one, I would befriend and hang out with, but might not date. (Call me a hypocrite - maybe I am one).

offtopic: That second pic reminds me of a story of a man going to a foreign country and getting tattooed and then finding himself being not allowed to get back, as he has become the last and the greatest, the masterpiece, of that tattoo artist, and something about the country's law that says that masterpieces of artist can't get out of the country. Can't recall the story completely :)

#20 Abhi

Abhi

Geek...

• 1,113 posts

Posted 20 September 2009 - 10:41 AM

OH, AND ALSO
if you guys don't mind piercings, would you ever get one for yourself? a tattoo also? any plans as to what you want? etc. etc. haha

I'm not a fan of tattoos, and one reason is that it's not easy/possible to undo them. So if someone ever wants to hide it for any reason, be it for some job interview for a decent profile (not related with looks, entertainment industry etc), or any similar thing, it's not so easy to hide.
Whereas with piercings, you can just do away with the accessory/ring/ornament. I have done it so I know.

I got my left ear pierced when I was in 3rd year of my engineering degree...and wore a small earring for some time, but easily got rid of it at times when I didn't want it to be noticed, like my campus recruitments, presentations etc. (Imagine the case had it been a tattoo instead of just the piercing, chances are pretty much, I wouldn't have got the job offer-letter.)
I don't wear any earring now, but the piercing is still there, and people don't easily notice it, good for me. But when I want to wear one, I can!

And yeah, I just hate other kinds of piercings, like nose, tongue.

So what I'd suggest is, go for something that you would not regret over the time...coz with things like permanent tattoos, there is no Ctrl+Z! :D

Want to comment?

Register or Sign In to go completely ad-free!