• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 WinXPro

WinXPro

Active WinMatrixian

• 353 posts

Posted 18 October 2004 - 10:37 PM

I just don't get it?

how is iMac G5 expensive if its only $1,699.00 CAD?

I got a PC last year and it costed 1,000. with only

15 inch LCD (maximum 1024x768),
2.39Ghz intel P4,
16x DVD reader only with 48x cd writer+ 48x CD reader,
no mouse nor keyboard,
no software except for a screwed CD of powerdvd, nero quick 5,
60Gb hard-disk
512 Mb ram
crappy soundcard
floppy
crappy speakers in LCD

VS

a space-saving iMAC, about 70% faster in photoshop cs, firewire, 2 inch thin, faster, 3D display

17 inch widescreen monitor (16:10 aspect ratio- 1440 x 900 pixels (native))

1.6GHz PowerPC G5

Combo Drive (DVD-ROM/CD-RW)

cool keyboard with 2 usb 1.1 with mouse (at least)

80 Gig Hard disk

256MB PC3200 (400MHz) DDR SDRAM, supports up to 2GB

Headphone/optical digital audio output; audio line in

Two FireWire 400 ports; three USB 2.0 ports, two USB 1.1 ports (on keyboard); VGA output2; S-video and composite video output2

Mac OS X version 10.3 “Panther,” includes Classic environment, Mail, iChat AV, Safari, Sherlock, Address Book, QuickTime, iSync, iCal
Software iLife (includes iTunes, iPhoto, iMovie, iDVD and GarageBand), AppleWorks, Quicken 2004 for Mac, World Book 2004 Edition, Nanosaur 2, Marble Blast Gold, Microsoft Office 2004 for Mac Test Drive and Apple Hardware Test

Built-in stereo speakers, Apple Keyboard, Apple Mouse, modem cable

#2 optimaloptimusprime

optimaloptimusprime

New WinMatrixian

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 11 December 2004 - 08:25 AM

try amiga then you see why its expensive. Secondly, u got ripped.
Mac is always more expensive in price performance ratio. B)

#3 AppleXY

AppleXY

Apple - The only way to describe quality

• 763 posts

Posted 11 December 2004 - 09:21 AM

Mac mite not have the perfect performance; but in Software wise (eg. Mac OS X) it whooooooops windoze by a mile!

#4 Dark-Articuno

Dark-Articuno

Active WinMatrixian

• Members
  • 554 posts

Posted 11 December 2004 - 10:14 AM

Yeah i think you got ripped

#5 optimaloptimusprime

optimaloptimusprime

New WinMatrixian

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 15 December 2004 - 09:28 AM

Mac mite not have the perfect performance; but in Software wise (eg. Mac OS X) it whooooooops windoze by a mile!

whatever dude you must be high if you think that :lol:

#6 giuliame

giuliame

Using Powerbook night and day

• 626 posts

Posted 15 December 2004 - 12:16 PM

I've been working on a mac for some months now (working, not playing FPS) and if I had to choose, I would toss my pc out of the window. ;)
It runs applications faster (photoshop is smooooth), it's more reliable and the workflow is just perfect.
Just an year ago I used to say "what's the big deal about macs?"; try it. :lol:

#7 Villain

Villain

An Old Geek

• Global Moderator
  • 6,003 posts

Posted 15 December 2004 - 04:52 PM

If you have ever used any Mac OS before X, then you would know why people used to say that the mac was a good machine, but it had crap performance.

Before X, there was the world's worse task swapping ever. it relied 100% of off ram, and if you did not have enough, it relied on a 64Mb Swap file ... yeah 64Mb!

OSX Fixed that problem when they used the FreeBSD kernel and other various parts of a free opensource OS to "fix" everything that was wrong.

So while your running Apple OS, it is using a Unix/Linux kernel.

want proof? open the console and try out a command like this.

ls /F /color

what does that do? in linux linga, it gives you a directory read-out of the file names in colorized syntax.

the equivilent of the old dos "dir" command

Anyway, OSX was made great when it started using a unix kernel. If you do a search, you will find TONS of freeware linux apps that have been re-compiled for OSX. Just do a google for it.

Solo, Linux Advocate.

Edited by Solosturm, 15 December 2004 - 04:53 PM.

#8 Aqua Structure

Aqua Structure

long-time listener, first-time caller

• 1,595 posts

Posted 15 December 2004 - 08:42 PM

Before X, there was the world's worse task swapping ever.  it relied 100% of off ram, and if you did not  have enough, it relied on a 64Mb Swap file ... yeah 64Mb!

To be certain. Task swapping in Mac OS 8/9 is a nightmare.

Edited by Josh The Mac Addict, 15 December 2004 - 08:43 PM.

#9 Kyuubi

Kyuubi

Active WinMatrixian

• 544 posts

Posted 15 December 2004 - 09:05 PM

If you have ever used any Mac OS before X, then you would know why people used to say that the mac was a good machine, but it had crap performance.

Before X, there was the world's worse task swapping ever. it relied 100% of off ram, and if you did not have enough, it relied on a 64Mb Swap file ... yeah 64Mb!

OSX Fixed that problem when they used the FreeBSD kernel and other various parts of a free opensource OS to "fix" everything that was wrong.

So while your running Apple OS, it is using a Unix/Linux kernel.

want proof? open the console and try out a command like this.

ls /F /color

what does that do? in linux linga, it gives you a directory read-out of the file names in colorized syntax.

the equivilent of the old dos "dir" command

Anyway, OSX was made great when it started using a unix kernel. If you do a search, you will find TONS of freeware linux apps that have been re-compiled for OSX. Just do a google for it.

Solo, Linux Advocate.

Finally someone who know what they're talking about...

Mac is better from both asspect of Software and Hardware....how can it be not?.....think about it...

Apple make and design their own computer and make their own hardware. Therefore they can do anything they want to the machines to make them look the way they are and to perform the way they are. A lot less bottlenecks in every single asspect of hardware, and their software will be in perfect harmoney with the hardware becaue...

They make Software also. MAC OS X is the perfect compliment to the amazing Hardware Apple has provided. It just work!...

No question, Apple is wayyyy better...go get your self a PowerBook and you'll see how thin and nice they really are...

#10 aleandro

aleandro

wanabe artist

• 621 posts

Posted 15 December 2004 - 11:07 PM

Game library kinda sucks, and also I can argue that mac is not always faster than pc. My old athlon xp running on windows 2k is faster than my sister's new pressario laptop running on XP with a P4. Yeah I know it has nothing to do with mac. But you can not compare the two because there is no companie that fouses as much on software hardware relation when designing their pc. for exemple if sony was to design their desktop the same way then there could be a real comparison

Edited by aleandro, 15 December 2004 - 11:17 PM.

#11 elositocandela

elositocandela

DJ AZTEC IN THE HOUSE

• 1,154 posts

Posted 15 December 2004 - 11:46 PM

simple mac's suck lol

#12 Caleb

Caleb

Super WinMatrixian

• 1,672 posts

Posted 16 December 2004 - 01:21 AM

simple mac's suck lol

:lol:

Want to comment?

Register or Sign In to go completely ad-free!