• This topic is locked This topic is locked
42 replies to this topic

#1 Jatin

Jatin

Administrator

• Admin
  • 4,867 posts

Posted 08 September 2009 - 11:20 AM

Microsoft today sent an email titled "Mac Fanboy turns to Windows 7" to all the TechNet newsletter subscribers in India. Here in Aditya Tripathi who is, a computer science engineer from Mumbai has expressed his experience of Windows 7. After going through the content of this email, you would feel that the title of this email should have been "Mac Fanboy turns into Windows 7 Fanboy" :P

But if taken seriously, his views definitely carry some weight. :)

The main content of the email is being copy/pasted here under.

Posted Image

In the words of Aditya Tripathi who is, a computer science engineer from Mumbai.

For the first time Microsoft's approach to building an Operating System, right from the ground up, seems different. The Engineering Windows 7 blog, for instance, with someone of Steve Sinofsky's stature driving it is a superb signal to the online community. It's like, "look here, we've got a few hundred great ideas, and we're making an OS out of them". I am sure, curious engineers world over have been flocking over to the site to see every new post. It's become a reference blog for tons of good software practices.

Microsoft admitted that it lacked the visual 'cool' associated with Apple products, and went all out to work up this beautiful, if not opulent upholstery on their new OS.

For the first time in as many as four iterations, Microsoft has brought to the table amazing usability extensions, that utilize existing means of input (i.e. the mouse), in incredibly smart ways! (think Aero Peek, Aero Shake, Aero Snap.. its just fantastic!).

So, in a few lines, what do I love about Windows 7?

Beautiful look and feel. It's glorious to look at! Aero is a stunning achievement. Macs look red hot because they have super computers powering their UI underneath. I've run Aero on modest configs (a 2.8 Ghz rig on 512 SD RAM, amongst others), and the results are stunning.

Impressive and intelligent usability design. Apple taught the world new tricks with new kinds of input metaphors (click wheel, multi-touch screen), Microsoft has innovated using existing metaphors (the mouse), albeit on a very different platform. The bold new usability gestures (peek, shake, snap) are a wonderful addition. Telling people, in a subtle way, that they were intelligent enough to do their tasks better used to be a strictly Apple thing, apparently not anymore.

Not playing 'an eye for an eye'. This might be difficult to put in a few words, here it goes .. Apple's advertising is hip, cool and young. But I'll risk the collective ire of other Apple fanboys out there and say that it can also be very rude. "I'm a Mac, and I'm a PC" is an effective but impolite campaign. There's nothing noble about it. I like it that MS doesn't have campaigns where the PC guy hits the gym, and comes out v2.0. An interesting and new 'brand ecosystem' was built before the new Windows came out..

• Microsoft confirmed publicly that IE8 would follow interoperatibility standards governing web development
  • Zune HD was demo'd for the hugely popular engadget.com by none other than Steve Ballmer
  • Bing! OMG!! When was the last time you saw Google silently put in a feature After Microsoft introduced the world to it? Never would be my guess. I am talking about the 'Show Options' link in Google search results that basically mimics bing's USPs.

I appreciate that Microsoft has sent out soft signals for the discerning eye, and not played 'an eye for an eye' with other competitors in every space, as far as public branding goes in the all important "run up to the launch" months. I could go on and on..

I am sending along these thoughts because of genuine appreciation for Microsoft's strategy.

#2 Borix

Borix

Active WinMatrixian

• 823 posts

Posted 08 September 2009 - 12:58 PM

I am getting my macbook pro 13" tomorrow ;)

(long live the competition between MS and Apple: better products lower prices!)

Edited by Borix, 08 September 2009 - 01:39 PM.

#3 ViViDboarder

ViViDboarder

WinMatrixian

• 115 posts

Posted 08 September 2009 - 03:04 PM

The "Show Options" for google was available in some form through Google Labs. They've been working on those filters for years. :D I used to do timeline searches all the time.

I've been a Mac user for just about 4 years now and have been a Linux user for just a bit longer. (Win user since 3.1 :D) I'd have to say, Windows 7 is REALLY nice. I like it a lot. Looks very nice and they took some of the best elements from Compiz Fusion and OSX and put into a really great system. The one downside is that it's still Windows... I've gotten BSOD already. I was getting error messages before I even had the thing installed!!! A cryptic message came up asking me to insert a driver disk. I later found out after a good web search that Windows didn't have drivers for my DVD drive... That it was reading off at the time... I had to install from a USB drive to get it working.

Competition is great for the consumer. I'm excited to have a usable windows distro out there that now competes with OSX and Ubuntu. This is just going to make them step up their game just as they made M$ do with Seven.

PS. Aero Snap FTW! Anyone know of a Compiz plugin for this feature?

#4 Guest_daniel fariña_*

Guest_daniel fariña_*

Posted 08 September 2009 - 03:23 PM

apple?! lower prices?!
thats one of the problems that apple has...
they sell you a "beauty PC" for 4 times the price of a PC with the same configuration...
even if you buy their OS, you can only install in it apple system...
so where is the competition?? if i were you, i will buy a PC for the half of price....
and if you like the apple OS, use hackingtosh or something like that...

#5 ViViDboarder

ViViDboarder

WinMatrixian

• 115 posts

Posted 08 September 2009 - 05:23 PM

apple?! lower prices?!
they sell you a "beauty PC" for 4 times the price of a PC with the same configuration...
so where is the competition?? if i were you, i will buy a PC for the half of price....

The 4x the price is a myth. Show me a computer with the same config as an Apple for a quarter the cost.

#6 Ace Starr

Ace Starr

the winmatrix addict

• 289 posts

Posted 08 September 2009 - 05:46 PM

After going through the content of this email, you would feel that the title of this email should have been "Mac Fanboy turns into Windows 7 Fanboy" :P

I am dying to know what yeoworks yanike thinks of this. Must be crawling the web searching for a counter blog, i suppose :P

apple?! lower prices?!

Ever heard of bootcamp? :P

#7 yanike

yanike

I am YM. If you don't know me, you will.

• Global Moderator
  • 4,631 posts

Posted 08 September 2009 - 05:57 PM

WOW! This just sounds like an Microsoft advertisement. I love the way they do shout outs: "Zune HD was demo'd for the hugely popular engadget.com by none other than Steve Ballmer."

This is all b*llsh*t. Microsoft is making advertisements, but making it seem like a person is promoting it and not them.

Windows 7 is great, but when newsletters get released like this, there's only one place for them... Trash!

#8 Frylock86

Frylock86

WinMatrixian 1337

• 3,075 posts

Posted 08 September 2009 - 06:25 PM

apple?! lower prices?!

The 4x the price is a myth. Show me a computer with the same config as an Apple for a quarter the cost.

I can show you better systems for half the cost of a Mac... They're not that hard to find.

#9 FalseAgent

FalseAgent

your average joe (tm)

• Elites
  • 6,694 posts

Posted 08 September 2009 - 06:29 PM

POPULAR

This is all b*llsh*t. Microsoft is making advertisements, but making it seem like a person is promoting it and not them.

I don't like you. Seriously. You're one hell of a stubborn Apple fan boy who either:
1) posts to defend apple
2) posts regarding apple's cool new stuf
and you always refuse to weigh both sides of an argument, plus never fail to use profanities in your sentences.

I mean, come on. I know Microsoft's advertisements may not be that great, but heck, everyone knows that Apple's ads are a thousand times worse.

Edited by FalseAgent, 08 September 2009 - 06:32 PM.

#10 Munkypoo7

Munkypoo7

Proud WinMatrix Member

• 1,015 posts

Posted 08 September 2009 - 07:01 PM

POPULAR

I don't like you. Seriously. You're one hell of a stubborn Apple fan boy who either:
1) posts to defend apple
and you always refuse to weigh both sides of an argument, plus never fail to use profanities in your sentences.

I mean, come on. I know Microsoft's advertisements may not be that great, but heck, everyone knows that Apple's ads are a thousand times worse.

Wish i could rep more than once for this....

#11 ViViDboarder

ViViDboarder

WinMatrixian

• 115 posts

Posted 08 September 2009 - 08:11 PM

I can show you better systems for half the cost of a Mac... They're not that hard to find.

Still waiting...

http://gizmodo.com/5...t-the-apple-tax

And that's with the Old Mac prices. They are slightly lower now. The thing is that people have a perception that Macs are "Soooooo expensive!!!" Well, they just don't have much low-end hardware. The high end hardware is close to the costs of other major PC brands. And, if you like the OS enough it's worth the extra couple hundred (the cost of updrading an XP box to Win7 anyways) which people clearly pay.

So please. Show me a computer that's the same that's 1/4 or even just less than 1/2 the cost of a Mac.

You're just as bad as the Mac users who say won't even admit that they are more expensive. You're just making stuff up.

#12 fediaFedia

fediaFedia

Super WinMatrixian

• Elites
  • 2,553 posts

Posted 08 September 2009 - 08:25 PM

ASUS K50: AMD Turion X2, 4GB RAM, 320GB, ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4570 $649.99

MacBook Pro: Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM, 320GB, nVidia 9400M $1,749.00

That core 2 duo is about 25% faster than Turion X2, the Radeon HD 4570 is about 50% faster than 9400M, so consider that equalized.

I could find a even better deal

Edit: hah, just noticed, extra 4GB of RAM for a MBP costs $1000 :woot:
I could add 4GB to my notebook for less than 150$

#13 ViViDboarder

ViViDboarder

WinMatrixian

• 115 posts

Posted 08 September 2009 - 08:31 PM

ASUS K50: AMD Turion X2, 4GB RAM, 320GB, ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4570 $649.99

MacBook Pro: Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM, 250GB, nVidia 9400M $1,699.00

That core 2 duo is about 25% faster than Turion X2, the Radeon HD 4570 is about 50% faster than 9400M

(...)

That's an awesome deal if it's true. Where did you find that?

http://www.newegg.co...ASUS-_-34220574

This is a little more and is stuck with integraded video, lower res screen, and half the memory.

#14 zool

zool

Kohzoku Oni

• 1,064 posts

Posted 08 September 2009 - 08:34 PM

Oh wow, another contest between Windows fans and Mac fans. Where is the Ubuntu fans? Show them your steel :P

#15 ViViDboarder

ViViDboarder

WinMatrixian

• 115 posts

Posted 08 September 2009 - 08:38 PM

Oh wow, another contest between Windows fans and Mac fans. Where is the Ubuntu fans? Show them your steel :P

Woop woop! :P

If I can get a laptop as good as described above w/o Windows I'd love to run it on Ubuntu. :D

Just sucks that most places include OS on their computers. Screw the "Browser Ballot" I want to be able to buy laptops with no OS.

#16 fediaFedia

fediaFedia

Super WinMatrixian

• Elites
  • 2,553 posts

Posted 08 September 2009 - 08:38 PM

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16834220569 :whistle:
I've seen even better deals though

#17 ViViDboarder

ViViDboarder

WinMatrixian

• 115 posts

Posted 08 September 2009 - 08:41 PM

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16834220569 :whistle:
I've seen even better deals though

Woah, that's crazy that the price between the Intel and AMD are so drastic. I'm going to do some looking of my own and see if I can find a C2D that matches up.

#18 fediaFedia

fediaFedia

Super WinMatrixian

• Elites
  • 2,553 posts

Posted 08 September 2009 - 08:42 PM

AMD + ATI = best bang for teh buck :yes:

If you want to find a C2D that matches up I'd suggest looking for T5XXX and T6XXX series, they're in the same class as Turion RM and ZM

/offtopic

#19 yanike

yanike

I am YM. If you don't know me, you will.

• Global Moderator
  • 4,631 posts

Posted 08 September 2009 - 08:51 PM

1) posts to defend apple

Wish i could rep more than once for this....

@FalseAgent,
Duh! It's no secret that you don't like me. I can really careless about you and some others as well.
WOW! You are an idiot! LOL! I always tell about both. You just hate that Windows isn't as good as it should be. I recently gave props to Microsoft on how great Windows 7 is. Where have you been?! Stick your head out of Microsoft's butt.

I would go around bashing people and praising Microsoft to get meaningless points on this forum, but I'm not that much of an fanboy and loser.

Also, I don't really like Apple's Ads much. I think Microsoft's are better. Apple is just repeating the same thing.

Edited by yanike, 08 September 2009 - 08:54 PM.

#20 Frylock86

Frylock86

WinMatrixian 1337

• 3,075 posts

Posted 08 September 2009 - 08:55 PM

Still waiting...

http://gizmodo.com/5...t-the-apple-tax

And that's with the Old Mac prices. They are slightly lower now. The thing is that people have a perception that Macs are "Soooooo expensive!!!" Well, they just don't have much low-end hardware. The high end hardware is close to the costs of other major PC brands. And, if you like the OS enough it's worth the extra couple hundred (the cost of updrading an XP box to Win7 anyways) which people clearly pay.

So please. Show me a computer that's the same that's 1/4 or even just less than 1/2 the cost of a Mac.

You're just as bad as the Mac users who say won't even admit that they are more expensive. You're just making stuff up.

Because they are more expensive.

15' Macbook Pro: Intel Core 2 Duo 2.8GHz; 4GB RAM; 500GB HDD; NVIDIA 9400M = $2,299.00
ASUS 15.6' G Series: Intel Core 2 Duo 2.8 GHz; 4GB RAM; 320GB HDD; NVIDIA GeForce GTX 260M = $1,549.99

Here we have a laptop that has the same and and better specs than the mac for at least a grand less. (http://www.newegg.co...N82E16834220577)

Want to comment?

Register or Sign In to go completely ad-free!