Movie Recommendations?

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#1 Linda V

Linda V

OHLOOKIEME.

• 212 posts

Posted 06 September 2009 - 01:34 AM

Hi guys. I'm a big movie/documentary nerd and I'm lacking anything that I really want to watch these days. Any movies you really like to help me out here?

I liked RocknRolla, Snatch, Watchmen, The Dark Knight, V for Vendetta, 300, Harold and Kumar 1&2, SLC Punk!, Amelie, Hitman, Pride & Prejudice, Final Fantasy:Advent Children, Requiem For A Dream, Steal This Film, Generation RX, Woodstock 70, etc. etc.

So, my taste in movies are pretty vast. Action is always YESPLZ though.
Not excessive action like Pearl Harbor though, I got SOOOO bored with all the exploding helicopters. Oh, and please no excessive, not neccessary unepic blood and gore like Silent Hill. Something like Resident Evil and 28 Weeks Later is a-okay.

No chick flicks like John Tucker Must Die or Twilight pwease, they all amount to the same uninteresting story line.

Thanks.
Oh, and guess what? Second tawpic, mwahahaha.

Edited by Linda V, 06 September 2009 - 01:48 AM.

#2 Abhi

Abhi

Geek...

• 1,113 posts

Posted 06 September 2009 - 06:44 AM

"District 9" is good, watch it if you still haven't.

I liked "The Hangover" too.

"Inglourious Basterds" is getting good reviews as well.

Please note all that these have been rated R for pervasive language, violence or other reasons. So if you're not the right age, decide accordingly.

#3 zool

zool

Kohzoku Oni

• 1,064 posts

Posted 06 September 2009 - 07:05 AM

You Should Watch all Kamen Rider Movies.. J/K..

How bout Pink Panther 1 or 2, Jumper, Step-up 2..

#4 CommonSense

CommonSense

Super WinMatrixian

• 2,620 posts

Posted 06 September 2009 - 01:51 PM

Step Up 2's main girl is so hot. Anyway, I liked the Crank series due to the random violence and explosions. Pineapple Express, The Hangover was great, Thick As Thieves, Charlie Bartlett, WallE, Fired Up (more of a guy's movie - look it up on IMDB), ehhh Step Brothers, The Godfather Pt.1, Transformers... Okay, now I'm just naming movies I like and you've probably seen them. :lol:

#5 PurplePeopleEater

PurplePeopleEater

I'm an Android fanboy sue me

• 4,090 posts

Posted 06 September 2009 - 05:15 PM

I want to see District 9 and Inglorious Bastards.

My friends saw The Hangover and said it was hilarious, while they saw that I saw Funny People which sucked.

#6 Linda V

Linda V

OHLOOKIEME.

• 212 posts

Posted 07 September 2009 - 02:08 AM

Awh man, I'd love to see Inglorious Bastards and District 9. They look so good. Did you guys see the trailer for Whiteout? Pretty nice. I'm trying to look for movies that are already out on DVD though, everytime I go to the movies a smug comment happens and I don't handle it well haha.

@Abhi
Thanks! I'm going to definitely check out The Hangover now.

@zool
I didn't like The Pink Panther too much. And LOL, Kamen Rider is giving me old memories of Power Rangers from that costume.
You're in to anime right? Can you recommend me anything similar to Ergo Proxy or Samurai Champloo?

@CommonSense
I loved most of the movies you named. Have you seen Transformers 2? Alot of unneeded sexyness from Megan Fox dude! And it's supposed to be a kids movie! Haha. Keep naming s'more please so I can look them up, it looks like we have similar tastes.

@PurplePeopleEater
Nevermind, I got it. I thought that movie was going to be sort of okay, considering I like Adam Sandler.

Edited by Linda V, 07 September 2009 - 09:50 PM.

#7 CommonSense

CommonSense

Super WinMatrixian

• 2,620 posts

Posted 07 September 2009 - 01:30 PM

@CommonSense
I loved most of the movies you named. Have you seen Transformers 2? Alot of unneeded sexyness from Megan Fox dude! And it's supposed to be a kids movie! Haha. Keep naming s'more please so I can look them up, it looks like we have similar tastes.

Are you kidding? I thought Transformers 2 wasn't as good as the first one, but she was far more sexy in 2. And it was definitely needed. :P

I'll let you know if I find some others worth mentioning. :yes:

#8 zool

zool

Kohzoku Oni

• 1,064 posts

Posted 07 September 2009 - 02:32 PM

Owh.. You watch anime too.. How about Samurai 7, Samurai X, Cowboy Bebop, Ghost in the Shell, Witch Hunter Robin, R.O.D(Read Or Die), Spirited Away(Movie only), Honey and Clover, Deathnote, etc.. Most of the listed are both series and movie. I watched too many anime, even i can't list all of it at here :P

My all-time favorite anime is Cowboy Bebop ;)

Posted Image

Edited by zool, 07 September 2009 - 02:35 PM.

#9 NealTheGuitarist

NealTheGuitarist

Nothing is sound

• 621 posts

Posted 07 September 2009 - 08:48 PM

Go to IMDb and view the list of Top 250 rated movies and start to watch them. :D

#10 Linda V

Linda V

OHLOOKIEME.

• 212 posts

Posted 07 September 2009 - 09:40 PM

@CommonSense
WOAH, I never said T2 was good! I just said that Megan Fox had a little too much sexy in it. Like the very first scene where she's all bent over under the hood of the car, that was definitely not needed. And then all the sex references, like that one part where the bulldozer autobot turned into his transformer and then his balls are literally where his balls should be. I was the only laughing for a bit when I saw that. The 7 year old next to me was looking at me like 'WHATTT' hahahaha. But you're right with the lack of a plot it needed lots of Megan Fox ass :P

And thanks ya!

@zool
I liked Ghost In The Shell, Cowbot Bebop, Death Note, and Spirited Away from the ones you named.
What about anything close to Fate/Stay Night, Time Of Eve, Trinity Blood, BLACK LAGOON (IS MY ULTIMATE FAVORITE<3), Tenjou Tenjhe, Hellsing, Elfen Lied (it's so bloody O__O), .//hack, and Blood+, to name a few? I watch a lot of anime too :P, I use to cosplay but I don't anymore.

@NealTheGuitarist
Haha, thank you. But the list tends to be too subjective and has a lot of classics I already know about. I want recent movies :)

#11 CommonSense

CommonSense

Super WinMatrixian

• 2,620 posts

Posted 07 September 2009 - 11:42 PM

Hahaha I rewrote what I was going to say and I left the "Are you kidding?" in there. But that was referring to Megan Fox, like "Are you kidding? She was needed!" or whatever. Yeah that was an awesome scene. I liked the explosions more though! :D

#12 PurplePeopleEater

PurplePeopleEater

• 4,090 posts

Posted 08 September 2009 - 12:00 AM

Owh.. You watch anime too.. How about Samurai 7, Samurai X, Cowboy Bebop, Ghost in the Shell, Witch Hunter Robin, R.O.D(Read Or Die), Spirited Away(Movie only), Honey and Clover, Deathnote, etc.. Most of the listed are both series and movie. I watched too many anime, even i can't list all of it at here :P

My all-time favorite anime is Cowboy Bebop ;)

Posted Image

I watch that a few times on Adult Swim it's really good but my favorite anime is Ruroni Kenshun
Posted Image

#13 Linda V

Linda V

OHLOOKIEME.

• 212 posts

Posted 08 September 2009 - 12:20 AM

@CommonSense
Explosions and action are always A++++++++++.
Just not too much as explained partially in this graph with helicopters.

Posted Image

Mwahahahaa.
But dude, seriously, if you haven't seen RocknRolla, GO SEE IT. It's perfect action and narration to me. The director is Guy Ritchie and it is so so so good if you can deal with cockney accents. Now Gerard Butler, he's something to talk about ;D

---------------------------

@zool and PurplePeopleEater
Well, since we're posting anime pictures, I will show you one that pwns and that I cosplayed for, for a year (without all that boobage of course, anime artists are insane with the boobage level lol)

Posted Image

Edited by Linda V, 08 September 2009 - 12:23 AM.

#14 CommonSense

CommonSense

Super WinMatrixian

• 2,620 posts

Posted 08 September 2009 - 12:40 AM

RocknRolla is one of my favorite movies! :D My brother and I constantly quote from that.

"Slap him, send him to school, I can't take much more of this." :lol:

#15 Linda V

Linda V

OHLOOKIEME.

• 212 posts

Posted 08 September 2009 - 01:27 AM

^LOL I love that part of the movie and how Archie goes 'Now, if you can master a smack like that, there's no need for your clients to walk back.' I always quote it in that accent when slappin' somebody. Hahaha.

I love the scene where they're trying to steal the second batch of money and how the Russians would NOT die. And then how One Two just goes 'What are these guys made of?' with his awesome scottish accent. :P

I can't wait for the second movie from this!

#16 CommonSense

CommonSense

Super WinMatrixian

• 2,620 posts

Posted 08 September 2009 - 01:43 AM

^LOL! Yeah I can't wait either! Was RocknRolla even in theaters in the US? I don't remember seeing previews or anything.

#17 PurplePeopleEater

PurplePeopleEater

• 4,090 posts

Posted 08 September 2009 - 01:50 AM

^LOL! Yeah I can't wait either! Was RocknRolla even in theaters in the US? I don't remember seeing previews or anything.

I saw most of that movie at my friends house I wanna finish it. It was really good

'Now, if you can master a smack like that, there's no need for your clients to walk back.'

MY Fav quote too!

I said it when my mom slapped my brother for being fresh, sadly I'm the only one who found it funny

Edited by PurplePeopleEater, 08 September 2009 - 01:53 AM.

#18 Linda V

Linda V

OHLOOKIEME.

• 212 posts

Posted 08 September 2009 - 05:21 AM

@CommonSense
To be honest, I'm not really sure. Because I didn't see any trailers for it either and I'm pretty sure a movie THIS good would've had some sort of recognition. I found out about it after intense searching for would be good movies on the intahnetz. I mainly can't wait because the best characters from this movie are going to be in that one. I hope it won't take forever to come out. I thought the ending was amazing with the whole real rocknrolla thing from johnny.

@PurplePeopleEater
LOL, good joke at the wrong time. I would've laughed had I seen it happen though.

oh, and @everyonelurking
Join in and tell me some tight gangster movies, damnit!

Edited by Linda V, 08 September 2009 - 05:22 AM.

#19 NealTheGuitarist

NealTheGuitarist

Nothing is sound

• 621 posts

Posted 08 September 2009 - 06:55 AM

Linda, you want gangster movies? Well, I don't think there has been any gangster movies recently.

You can see the movie "The Departed". I saw this movie a lot of time and I'm still watching it. It's awesome! :D

Actually, I totally like Martin Scorsese films. :D

#20 FalseAgent

FalseAgent

your average joe (tm)

• Elites
  • 6,694 posts

Posted 08 September 2009 - 06:39 PM

watch "The Notebook".

it's the most romantic movie i've ever seen, and you can actually relate to it!

Want to comment?

Register or Sign In to go completely ad-free!