Snow Leopard Contains an Antivirus

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 K.L.Devine

K.L.Devine

Active WinMatrixian

• 898 posts

Posted 27 August 2009 - 08:47 AM

Mac OS X Snow Leopard contains an antimalware feature. This feature has been added quietly. There's nothing about this on Apple's website.

Posted Image

Now watch these latest "Get a Mac" ads again and say "WTF".

Source

#2 pm_41

pm_41

CS student

• 1,394 posts

Posted 27 August 2009 - 08:49 AM

Moar Apple phailure... :P

#3 Guest_blinking_123_*

Guest_blinking_123_*

Posted 27 August 2009 - 09:05 AM

Apple is, by far, the best OS on planet Earth. This just makes it better.

#4 dtack68

dtack68

^^^ Me and my girl, Rachel :) ^^^

• 470 posts

Posted 27 August 2009 - 09:48 AM

bbbbbut macs don't get viruses! Thats impossible. Its like reaching absolute zero! A black hole will exist at every mac once 10.6 comes out.

#5 fediaFedia

fediaFedia

Super WinMatrixian

• Elites
  • 2,553 posts

Posted 27 August 2009 - 10:54 AM

Posted Image

#6 WhistAler

WhistAler

WhistA

• 1,866 posts

Posted 27 August 2009 - 11:16 AM

WTF :D

#7 FalseAgent

FalseAgent

your average joe (tm)

• Elites
  • 6,694 posts

Posted 27 August 2009 - 11:31 AM

at first, I was thinking this was a nice addition, but then again, WTF

more Apple fail, and yet,...

#8 MaximusAxis

MaximusAxis

The Greatest Form of Complexity is Simplicity

• 484 posts

Posted 27 August 2009 - 12:05 PM

So it's a Fail to have a precaution feature in a Mac? Quit hating people!

#9 Abhi

Abhi

Geek...

• 1,113 posts

Posted 27 August 2009 - 12:26 PM

Not hating them for being a 'failure' for having a 'precaution feature' this time...everyone fails some time or the other.
Hating them for being a bunch of 'hypocrites' which they always have been...targeting and accusing their counterparts for something and falsely advertising it as their selling point, which they themselves now are open to...whether they :publicly: would like to admit or not.

Really, is it that difficult to understand?

It's a pity you didn't understand this...or maybe you didn't want to.

#10 MaximusAxis

MaximusAxis

The Greatest Form of Complexity is Simplicity

• 484 posts

Posted 27 August 2009 - 02:42 PM

Not hating them for being a 'failure' for having a 'precaution feature' this time...everyone fails some time or the other.
Hating them for being a bunch of 'hypocrites' which they always have been...targeting and accusing their counterparts for something and falsely advertising it as their selling point, which they themselves now are open to...whether they :publicly: would like to admit or not.

Or...........you're just hating 'cuz you're a Windows fanboy. LOL

Seriously, though, I don't give a damn about either one 'cuz I've got both, but you guys sound a lot like haters.

Edited by MaximusAxis, 27 August 2009 - 03:13 PM.

#11 hab

hab

Active WinMatrixian

• 996 posts

Posted 27 August 2009 - 02:47 PM

it's funny how the Mac words their advertisements. In their new ad, the person says she doesn't want a computer with thousands of viruses on them (or something like that). She never says no viruses, just not a lot of viruses :P

#12 PurplePeopleEater

PurplePeopleEater

I'm an Android fanboy sue me

• 4,090 posts

Posted 27 August 2009 - 03:21 PM

it's funny how the Mac words their advertisements. In their new ad, the person says she doesn't want a computer with thousands of viruses on them (or something like that). She never says no viruses, just not a lot of viruses :P

Thats advertising for you, say what you want them to hear and keep quiet about the rest, Apple has a loophole

Edited by PurplePeopleEater, 27 August 2009 - 03:21 PM.

#13 kth7

kth7

WinMatrixian

• 161 posts

Posted 27 August 2009 - 03:54 PM

but the problem is PCs(nor Macs) don't ship with viruses. The user get it on the system himself/herself.

#14 The Flashing Fish

The Flashing Fish

om nom nom nom

• 684 posts

Posted 27 August 2009 - 04:55 PM

Mac OS X Snow Leopard contains an antimalware feature. This feature has been added quietly. There's nothing about this on Apple's website.

Posted Image

Now watch these latest "Get a Mac" ads again and say "WTF".

Please link to an article and don't use a picture to lead people on.

http://www.macrumors...ning-publicity/

All Snow Leopard has is the ability to identify 2 trojan horses. So I don't know why you put "Antivirus" in the thread title, but used the correct term "anti-malware" in the post...

bbbbbut macs don't get viruses! Thats impossible. Its like reaching absolute zero! A black hole will exist at every mac once 10.6 comes out.

Just stop... Really.

"Hypocrites?" Look. I don't like their commercials either, not because they're "hypocrites," but because they're misleading to the uneducated consumer. They're not "falsely advertising" anything. They always explicitly say the word "virus." However, the word "virus" has become synonymous with "malware" with people who don't know any better. But Apple themselves mean "virus" in every sense of the literal word. They do use it, while knowing that the audience will take it to mean something that isn't correct. But it's not illegal and it's not their fault that the audience doesn't know any better. So, yes, they are getting caught up in semantics, but they're not "falsely advertising" anything.

If you took the OP's advice and re-watched the ads, then you would know that the girl says, "I want one that works, without thousands of viruses." You and I both know that a Mac does not have "thousands," or even "hundreds," or even "tens," of viruses. So yes, they're once again getting caught up in semantics.

Speaking of pity. It sure is a pity you didn't take the time research the OP's claim... or maybe you didn't want to.

#15 Abhi

Abhi

Geek...

• 1,113 posts

Posted 27 August 2009 - 05:19 PM

^If you read again, you'll notice that my post was in reply to MaximusAxis' post, and not concerning the OP.
And if you're telling that Apple have never tried to sell anything by just focusing on their competitors' points (or drawbacks, if you want to call them), irrespective of whether they themselves have some, I'll disagree.

#16 mjr4189

mjr4189

WinMatrixian

• 66 posts

Posted 27 August 2009 - 05:47 PM

but the problem is PCs(nor Macs) don't ship with viruses. The user get it on the system himself/herself.

I dont get viruses. i use windows. do i win?

#17 PcModer

PcModer

working on pcmoder

• 716 posts

Posted 27 August 2009 - 06:11 PM

I dont get viruses. i use windows. do i win?

Same here i have not got one in about 8 months!

#18 The Flashing Fish

The Flashing Fish

om nom nom nom

• 684 posts

Posted 27 August 2009 - 07:33 PM

[quote name='Abhi' date='27 August 2009 - 01:19 PM' timestamp='1251393585' post='244318']
^If you read again, you'll notice that my post was in reply to MaximusAxis' post, and not concerning the OP.

I'm more than aware of who you were responding to. But your points are not valid. You called them a hypocrite and said their ads are false advertising, both of which are false. Misleading would be a better word (but still not 100% accurate).

[quote]And if you're telling that Apple have never tried to sell anything by just focusing on their competitors' points (or drawbacks, if you want to call them), irrespective of whether they themselves have some, I'll disagree.
[/quote]

I didn't say that, did I?

I didn't think so either.

#19 dtack68

dtack68

^^^ Me and my girl, Rachel :) ^^^

• 470 posts

Posted 27 August 2009 - 08:00 PM

Just stop... Really.

Chill. I was just messing around. If you knew me in real life you would know how I act. And the absolute zero thing was referring to the kelvin scale.

When you reach absolute zero (which is the coldest temperature achievable (or not achievable) you have destroyed energy, which is impossible. So when you have destroyed that energy, you have destroyed matter, which is impossible. Thus, I just like making jokes about how black holes appear where you destroy energy, thus destroying matter.

Just a little lesson on how absolute zero.

#20 kth7

kth7

WinMatrixian

• 161 posts

Posted 28 August 2009 - 06:57 AM

close this thread before it gets flamed?
I'm a Windows user and i'm happy.

Want to comment?

Register or Sign In to go completely ad-free!