vladstudio

WinMatrixian

• 229 posts

Posted 25 August 2009 - 03:38 PM

Posted Image

Download here (Windows, Mac):

http://vladstudio.co...lacement_icons/

What are these icons?

This is the replacement of Adobe Creative Suite 4 default icons. Some time ago, when Adobe released CS3 (and then CS4), many designers around the world were not happy with the new style of application icons and came up with their own ideas (example, example, example, example). I know I am a couple of years late :-) but you might like my icons as well.

Why did I design them?

I was mostly inspired by this article by Mike Hopkins, and I agree that:

- the icons of creative applications should inspire, and default icons do not;
- the use of name abbreviations is arguable - ideally, icons should reflect what the app does, not how it is called;

There were, however, some ideas in default icons that I liked:

- colors (if you use my icons you will notice you can easily recognize them, because they use the same colors);
- consistent shape (boring square, but you can quickly idenfity any icon form Adobe CS4 family by its shape).
I also felt that Mike Hopkins' icons were too much work of art, too complex. I tried to keep them simple but at the same time I put as much meaning as I could into each icon, using apps' interfaces as inspiration. Most icons have "rulers" on top and left, Photoshop icon means "pixels", Illustrator means "vector", Lightroom means "histogram" etc.

Are my icons better?

I don't think so! For me this was just a quick spare-time project, and Adobe surely spend more time and efforts. But my approach is different and so far, I like it more. If time permits I will polish the icons. Meanwhile, your feedback is welcome!

Help! How to change icons?

- How to change icons in Windows
- How to change icons in Mac OS X Leopard

#2 Laguna

Laguna

Active WinMatrixian

• 830 posts

Posted 25 August 2009 - 04:26 PM

Stunning vlad! As always! I won't use them but the concept is awesome. :rolleyes:

#3 ShadowCoder

ShadowCoder

xIntegrated Technologies

• 315 posts

Posted 25 August 2009 - 04:41 PM

:punk: Nicely done. :punk: I am assuming that these would work for CS3 as well? I'd love to have CS4, but unfortunately my laptop would kill over and die If I installed it. It quakes with fear even as I'm talking about it. LOL.

#4 vladstudio

vladstudio

WinMatrixian

• 229 posts

Posted 25 August 2009 - 05:17 PM

:punk: Nicely done. :punk: I am assuming that these would work for CS3 as well? I'd love to have CS4, but unfortunately my laptop would kill over and die If I installed it. It quakes with fear even as I'm talking about it. LOL.

Sure they would work - in fact you can put these icons on any file on your computer :-)

#5 RickSOLET

RickSOLET

Super WinMatrixian

• 1,793 posts

Posted 25 August 2009 - 07:56 PM

Isn't it your first ever icon set? Amazing job! :D

#6 pcHuntqwerty

pcHuntqwerty

QWERTY

• 1,999 posts

Posted 25 August 2009 - 09:25 PM

I noticed you made special 16x16 px icons too. Great job!

#7 MaximusAxis

MaximusAxis

The Greatest Form of Complexity is Simplicity

• 484 posts

Posted 26 August 2009 - 01:07 AM

Photoshop and Dreamweaver icons seem kinda weird. I guess it could work for some people, just not my cup of tea.

#8 Gragier_521

Gragier_521

WinMatrixer

• 1,785 posts

Posted 26 August 2009 - 08:13 AM

Good work but I prefer glossy and shiny icons. :D

#9 PurplePeopleEater

PurplePeopleEater

I'm an Android fanboy sue me

• 4,090 posts

Posted 26 August 2009 - 06:15 PM

Photoshop and Dreamweaver icons seem kinda weird. I guess it could work for some people, just not my cup of tea.

yea the Pshop one looks almost like excel but they look really good

#10 coldemone

coldemone

Sleeping Winmatrixian

• 2,029 posts

Posted 27 August 2009 - 08:21 AM

photoshop is too general that we don't need any new icon for it. Btw, flash have used the artsy f for a long time.

Want to comment?

Register or Sign In to go completely ad-free!