Best Internet Browser

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#1 aznsmartj0ck

aznsmartj0ck

New WinMatrixian

• 45 posts

Posted 23 August 2009 - 02:44 AM

Hi, I'm new here, so I hope I'm doing this right. If I'm not, please tell me. Anyway, I was wondering which internet browser was really the best. Every single browser's webpage says that they're the fastest and the most secure. Personally, I haven't had too much experience in this field. Can some of you please tell me your favorite browser and why you like them? Thanks.

Oh and btw, please no fanboy posts like "OMG FIREFOX AWESOMEBAR FTW" or "I LOVE OMNIBOX". Reasonable and rational posts please. :D

Thanks in advance.

#2 Syzygy

Syzygy

Zing.

• 3,470 posts

Posted 23 August 2009 - 02:58 AM

OMG FIREFOX AWESOMEBAR FTW.

No seriously, if you want something that's simple - try Chrome.

Firefox is only needed if you can't live without any extensions

#3 hab

hab

Active WinMatrixian

• 996 posts

Posted 23 August 2009 - 03:08 AM

But extensions are exactly why firefox is very popular. You can get rid of ads and have a lot of different custom themes to make firefox how you want it to look. Whatever you're looking for, There's an app for that :P

And for some reason, Chrome still has a buggy video playback feature and youtube seems to crash my Chrome a lot.

In terms of speed, sure one browser may be slightly faster than the other but seriously, you won't notice a thing because it's probably a difference of a few milliseconds. So it really matters what you want. Another thing that might help is just using both browsers and seeing which one is better for your personal needs and sites you go to often may run better in a certain browser.

Edited by hab, 23 August 2009 - 03:23 AM.

#4 Tygr

Tygr

HOLY CRAP IT'S A TYGR GET IN THE CAR!

• 276 posts

Posted 23 August 2009 - 03:26 AM

In my experience, Firefox seems to have the best balance of flexibility, speed, and usability.

I've just downloaded Opera, and my first impression is very favorable. Slick out-of-the-box interface, and more features without installing any add-ons, nice bookmark manager (I like how it opens in a tab instead of a separate window) and in short, a very feature-rich and visually-appealing browser.

Another thing that may or may not concern you is portability. I'm VERY big on a piece of software being able to run off of a flash drive. And when your OS crashes, and you have to pull your files off onto another computer, it'll be a hassle to get your bookmarks and such if you're not using the portable version of a browser. I use the portable version of Firefox exclusively for my browsing, but I have other browsers installed for testing purposes.

BTW, does anyone know where to get a good Portable Opera? I'm going to give it a whirl, and it must be portable to be my primary browser.

#5 Ace Starr

Ace Starr

the winmatrix addict

• 289 posts

Posted 23 August 2009 - 03:31 AM

OMG Opera 10 beta 3 build 1699 FTW! :P

(Seriously what were you thinking when you typed that? The people here are really tech minded who don't get into fanboy rhetorics unless provoked! You just gave us a reason to :D )

Which Browser? Depends on the level of your patience, geekiness and the urge to do things 'tha geek way'.

Use:

1) IE if you can't be bothered with speed or style or security, don't care how ungeeky IE is, or if you like web slices and MS accelerators unfortunately :)

2) Chrome if you are a little geeky but speed is the absolute criterion, and also don't mind sending google your usage statistics. (If you do mind the latter, give iron a try).

3) Firefox if you are a geek who knows his/her stuff but is willing to trade extensibility for security or an ubergeek who doesn't quite have the time to be one :)

4) Opera (my main web interface btw) if and only if you are an ubergeek who has the time, thinks that security and speed is paramount, thinks customizing the hard way (bookmarklets, buttons, userjs) is better that just adding an addon, or just likes the thought of being one of 2% of netizens (this might be lower still :o ). Mind you, if you do decide to be an opera user, you must also be willing to face the butt end of many a flame wars ignited by Opera's crazy lawsuits :)

@Tygr: Allo mate.

Portable Opera
The guy Tamil whose release this is, is quite a geek, with many a opera customization codes to his credit. quite trusty. :)

Edited by Ace Starr, 23 August 2009 - 03:39 AM.

#6 aznsmartj0ck

aznsmartj0ck

New WinMatrixian

• 45 posts

Posted 23 August 2009 - 04:39 AM

So far its been:
Chrome: speed
Firefox: extendability
Opera: speed + security

So opera's the best of both worlds?
Btw, using Opera 10b3 and it IS very snappy....I Don't know about security though...does anyone have any experience?

#7 Ace Starr

Ace Starr

the winmatrix addict

• 289 posts

Posted 23 August 2009 - 05:41 AM

So far its been:
Chrome: speed
Firefox: extendability
Opera: speed + security

So opera's the best of both worlds?
Btw, using Opera 10b3 and it IS very snappy....I Don't know about security though...does anyone have any experience?

Well, not exactly. There is a third world - ability to customize. Opera sucks when it comes to this but not quite as much as Chrome.

#8 Gideon

Gideon

WinMatrixian

• 111 posts

Posted 23 August 2009 - 11:52 AM

opera is not fast

#9 Bogo

Bogo

Bogdan

• 651 posts

Posted 23 August 2009 - 11:56 AM

Safari on Mac OS and Chrome on Windows.

Both are fast and easy to use.

#10 fediaFedia

fediaFedia

Super WinMatrixian

• Elites
  • 2,553 posts

Posted 23 August 2009 - 12:57 PM

Firefux if you want a lot of features (extensions)
Chrome if you want faster program response (because firefux takes a while to start)

#11 The Alpha Gamer

The Alpha Gamer

Active WinMatrixian

• 996 posts

Posted 23 August 2009 - 02:57 PM

If you want speed: Firefox
If you want to add whatever extra feature you want: Firefox
If you want a browser that isn't as ugly as sin: Firefox

#12 FalseAgent

FalseAgent

your average joe (tm)

• Elites
  • 6,694 posts

Posted 23 August 2009 - 04:11 PM

Firefux if you want a lot of features (extensions)
Chrome if you want faster program response (because firefux takes a while to start)

i'm going to take behind what's behind this door number win.

If you want speed: Firefox
If you want to add whatever extra feature you want: Firefox
If you want a browser that isn't as ugly as sin: Firefox

Fail blog material.
and really, Firefox's default skin is ugly as sin, especially on Vista/Win7. Also, Chrome is proven to be faster than Firefox.

Edited by FalseAgent, 23 August 2009 - 04:12 PM.

#13 Preath

Preath

Elite WinMatrixian.

• 2,352 posts

Posted 23 August 2009 - 04:14 PM

Internet Explorer is fast, and very secure and it doesnt use so much space with its interface. Posted Image

Edited by Emil2k, 23 August 2009 - 04:14 PM.

#14 Freka

Freka

Super WinMatrixian

• 2,758 posts

Posted 23 August 2009 - 06:17 PM

I say it's Chrome for its simplicity and its wicked speed.

#15 aznsmartj0ck

aznsmartj0ck

New WinMatrixian

• 45 posts

Posted 23 August 2009 - 06:18 PM

Thanks for all your posts guys, here's what I've found on my own so far:

Firefox 3.5 (I didn't try minefield): kinda overrated, laggy javascript, laggy flash, but smooth transitions between pages
Chrome (dev channel): fast, but often crashes on a flash-heavy site, transitions are not smooth.
IE: haven't used it in years, not planning to either
Opera 10b3: very VERY fast when you have a good internet conection - otherwise its kinda slow, but that may just be based on hwo ti renders pages.

#16 maxmaister

maxmaister

MaxLieb

• 72 posts

Posted 23 August 2009 - 07:03 PM

Thanks for all your posts guys, here's what I've found on my own so far:

Firefox 3.5 (I didn't try minefield): kinda overrated, laggy javascript, laggy flash, but smooth transitions between pages
Chrome (dev channel): fast, but often crashes on a flash-heavy site, transitions are not smooth.
IE: haven't used it in years, not planning to either
Opera 10b3: very VERY fast when you have a good internet conection - otherwise its kinda slow, but that may just be based on hwo ti renders pages.

Tried Safari 4 ?

#17 Airflow

Airflow

wolfriA

• 796 posts

Posted 23 August 2009 - 07:26 PM

Internet Explorer is fast, and very secure and it doesnt use so much space with its interface. Posted Image

Lol'd. Hard.

#18 InlineSkate

InlineSkate

WinMatrix Addict

• 3,182 posts

Posted 23 August 2009 - 07:36 PM

Lol'd. Hard.

Actually he does have a point on security.

#19 mediar

mediar

Active WinMatrixian

• 468 posts

Posted 23 August 2009 - 07:53 PM

I recommend Opera.

#20 Airflow

Airflow

wolfriA

• 796 posts

Posted 23 August 2009 - 08:01 PM

Lol'd. Hard.

Actually he does have a point on security.

Yeah but the fast and space taking is a big nono.

Want to comment?

Register or Sign In to go completely ad-free!