40 replies to this topic

#1 Burned Phoenix

Burned Phoenix

WinMatrix Addict

• News Poster
  • 3,488 posts

Posted 14 August 2009 - 07:12 PM

Posted Image

15 years ago Marc Andreessen developed Netscape browser that introduced millions of people to the Internet. Netscape was defeated by Microsoft's Internet Explorer in the so-called browser wars of the 1990s.

Now Andreessen appears to want a rematch. He is working on a new web browser called RockMelt.

Full Story
RockMelt

#2 Linda V

Linda V

OHLOOKIEME.

• 212 posts

Posted 14 August 2009 - 07:33 PM

Well, looks like someone's been holding a grudge for quite a whileeeee.

To be honest, I don't think this RockMeIt is going to go anywhere. ESPECIALLY with that name haha.

#3 PurplePeopleEater

PurplePeopleEater

I'm an Android fanboy sue me

• 4,090 posts

Posted 14 August 2009 - 07:35 PM

To be honest, I don't think this RockMeIt is going to go anywhere. ESPECIALLY with that name haha.

Agreed :lol: +1

Edited by PurplePeopleEater, 14 August 2009 - 07:45 PM.

#4 punkrockerz

punkrockerz

-M-

• 486 posts

Posted 14 August 2009 - 07:43 PM

Yeah, it definitely needs a new name but who knows it could be the next big thing if it has the time to catch up. If you think about it this is from the guy who made Netscape which was a good browser. Also, am I the only one who thinks the icon looks to much like Firefox's? It's got the earth and it looks like the firefox is bout to bust outta it.

#5 RickSOLET

RickSOLET

Super WinMatrixian

• 1,793 posts

Posted 14 August 2009 - 09:20 PM

I like the name and the logo too.

#6 InlineSkate

InlineSkate

WinMatrix Addict

• 3,182 posts

Posted 14 August 2009 - 10:42 PM

Maybe just maybe they'll pass Opera.

But I don't think they'll be able to hang with the big boys(Microsoft, Apple, Google, Mozilla) and unfortunately considering rumors have it that IE 9 is supposed to be a groundshaker and will finally be in league with other browsers. I wish them luck.

Edited by InlineSkate, 14 August 2009 - 10:42 PM.

#7 Freka

Freka

Super WinMatrixian

• 2,758 posts

Posted 14 August 2009 - 10:53 PM

Hate the name, sounds really nerdy.

#8 MaximusAxis

MaximusAxis

The Greatest Form of Complexity is Simplicity

• 484 posts

Posted 14 August 2009 - 11:56 PM

Who gives a sh*t about the name. If that browser is fast, easy, secure and looks pretty, people are going to flock to it. I know I will.

#9 Linda V

Linda V

OHLOOKIEME.

• 212 posts

Posted 15 August 2009 - 12:50 AM

@MaximusAxis
If you hadn't already noticed, people are shallow. And that it also takes time for a browser to become popular. Crappy name = lesser recognition than what you would have had to feed into people if you actually thought out a good name. Added to that fact, Netscape was a crap filled browser and a reputation will always follow you or in this case, Andreessen.

If anything from this browser, it'll be a common underdog like Flock, Shiira, or Webkit. Even reading the article felt like the developer was trying to hard to get in with the "younger" generation with their promise of keeping with the pace of the internet. & C'mon RockMeIt? Sounds like something my great-grandma farted out of her butt.

#10 coldemone

coldemone

Sleeping Winmatrixian

• 2,029 posts

Posted 15 August 2009 - 01:49 AM

in other words, people give shit on names.

You can't choose a bad name like winBrowser or winInternet it will add a barbwire fence to new users.

#11 jag_g

jag_g

New WinMatrixian

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 15 August 2009 - 03:00 AM

Maybe just maybe they'll pass Opera.

But I don't think they'll be able to hang with the big boys(Microsoft, Apple, Google, Mozilla) and unfortunately considering rumors have it that IE 9 is supposed to be a groundshaker and will finally be in league with other browsers. I wish them luck.

i wouldnt listen to people bigging up ie9, those same people bigged up ie8 and that didnt turn out that great. There is still room in the market for more browsers but people dont really need this much choice these days. Firefox which is based on the popular gecko engine is a good all rounder so i guess people will steer towards them. I think browser companies should start pooling their resources to make one really good browser not like 5 ok browsers that leave users hopping from one to the other. I have a friend whos obsessed with chrome and to be honest its ok but doesnt do a lot that i want it to, also it just doesnt feel how a browser should, cant put my finger on why.

#12 pm_41

pm_41

CS student

• 1,394 posts

Posted 15 August 2009 - 03:02 AM

It needs to beat Firefox (which is derived from Netscape) before I'll use it.

This sounds like a bloated SeaMonkey.

#13 CAS91572

CAS91572

Active WinMatrixian

• 640 posts

Posted 15 August 2009 - 03:26 AM

Nice logo, bad name.. It will be interesting to see where this goes. Even though I think there's enough browsers to choose from. None of which are as good as Firefox.

#14 coldemone

coldemone

Sleeping Winmatrixian

• 2,029 posts

Posted 15 August 2009 - 03:53 AM

make one really good browser not like 5 ok browsers

so it's like Microsoft and Apple and Linux fuse together then even better all the PS3 Xbox and Wii fuse too (and cause mass suicide).

These things don't really fit together that's why we have choices, since 9000+ choices is a no-no for a single product.

Edited by coldemone, 15 August 2009 - 03:53 AM.

#15 MaximusAxis

MaximusAxis

The Greatest Form of Complexity is Simplicity

• 484 posts

Posted 15 August 2009 - 10:20 AM

@MaximusAxis
If you hadn't already noticed, people are shallow. And that it also takes time for a browser to become popular. Crappy name = lesser recognition than what you would have had to feed into people if you actually thought out a good name. Added to that fact, Netscape was a crap filled browser and a reputation will always follow you or in this case, Andreessen.

If anything from this browser, it'll be a common underdog like Flock, Shiira, or Webkit. Even reading the article felt like the developer was trying to hard to get in with the "younger" generation with their promise of keeping with the pace of the internet. & C'mon RockMeIt? Sounds like something my great-grandma farted out of her butt.

Or, maybe it's just you!haha

Seriously though, how often do people look at the name. All they see on their desktop is that nice fox icon, or red,yellow, blue and green color sphere. I'll bet you anything that if RockMeIt is decently built and has a nice UI, then people will be dropping FF like unwanted prom pregnancies.

OK, is it ROCKMEIT OR ROCKMELT?

Edited by MaximusAxis, 15 August 2009 - 10:23 AM.

#16 The Black Manba

The Black Manba

New WinMatrixian

• 21 posts

Posted 15 August 2009 - 02:57 PM

I think that if they go the right way abiut it, they can make some noise. I mean they were the one who introduced the whole idea odf broswer to the world. But again that have to come with simnwthiing that we never seen before....likw that willmake you go: DANM...that pretty good.

#17 Loveliet

Loveliet

Blah

• 149 posts

Posted 15 August 2009 - 04:50 PM

People sure have fantastic ideas about business, its good to be ambitious though.

#18 Ace Starr

Ace Starr

the winmatrix addict

• 289 posts

Posted 15 August 2009 - 05:02 PM

@MaximusAxis

Or, maybe it's just you!haha

Seriously though, how often do people look at the name. All they see on their desktop is that nice fox icon, or red,yellow, blue and green color sphere. I'll bet you anything that if RockMeIt is decently built and has a nice UI, then people will be dropping FF like unwanted prom pregnancies.

OK, is it ROCKMEIT OR ROCKMELT?

compared to RockMeIt, Rockmelt sounds better but still odd. I remember hearing opera six years back and thinking what kind of a name was that for a browser. My initial inhibitions were name related. I liked the name Pheonix the instant it was released and was kinda sad that they changed it to firebird but firefox was way better (Especially since it started 'foxing' around IE's marketshare ). So I do also think name matters. But I do agree that performance can win us over. I mean I use opera full time now. And my download manager is named Internet Download Manager (how pathetic is that) but its still the best imho. :)

I think that if they go the right way abiut it, they can make some noise. I mean they were the one who introduced the whole idea odf broswer to the world. But again that have to come with simnwthiing that we never seen before....likw that willmake you go: DANM...that pretty good.

I think that would be Mosaic. It introduced browsing. Mosaic -> Netscape -> Firefox :)

Edited by Ace Starr, 15 August 2009 - 05:08 PM.

#19 Linda V

Linda V

OHLOOKIEME.

• 212 posts

Posted 15 August 2009 - 07:19 PM

@MaximusAxis
You're right, I am shallow when it comes to my laptop :P
When push comes to shove, I'll probably test it myself besides the crud name. I'm just saying people look at aesthetics first and then think about the actual use itself later on once they read reviews and other things. Basically, exactly what Ace Starr said!

And oh damn, crappy logo text making causes a confusion of names.
I THINK it's ROCKMELT now instead of ROCKMEIT, hopefully because of the icon. Still iffy about it.

Edited by Linda V, 15 August 2009 - 08:11 PM.

#20 yanike

yanike

I am YM. If you don't know me, you will.

• Global Moderator
  • 4,631 posts

Posted 15 August 2009 - 08:02 PM

I not saying anything about RockMelt until I try it.

I hope it kicks Firefox, Chrome, Internet Explorer and others a$$!
Posted Image

For some reason I think I have an idea of what it's going to look like. I will have to wait and see.
Posted Image

Edited by yanike, 15 August 2009 - 08:04 PM.

Want to comment?

Register or Sign In to go completely ad-free!