Beginner's guide to Rainmeter

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 PurplePeopleEater

PurplePeopleEater

I'm an Android fanboy sue me

• 4,090 posts

Posted 12 August 2009 - 01:59 AM

I've always loved the Rainmeter looks people are getting on their desktops but it looked cumbersome to customize like miranda was for me, can anyone help me get started with rainmeter?

I really want a clock like in this desktop:
http://www.winmatrix..._0

I also want a cool little now playing thing to match

I've read through this thread and found it's easy to control
http://forum.noteboo...ad.php?t=221572

but can anyone guide me to get that popular white line minimalist style that I see alot?

#2 Airflow

Airflow

wolfriA

• 796 posts

Posted 12 August 2009 - 03:15 AM

Haha, well, that's my desktop, so I'll tell you how. First of all, you should install Rainmeter, hopefully you've done that, but if you haven't, just Google "rainmeter google code" and then, you'll find the Google Code page for it, go to downloads, and download and install the latest version. Now, it's recommend that you keep it off for right now so that you can move the folders into the skin folder in C:\Program Files\Rainmeter (assuming that C: is your default system path, and that is where you've installed it of course). Now, that clock is easily found in DeviantART, by searching Enigma. In that setup, you'll find that clock. So now, all you need to do is download it, and extract the Enigma folder into your C:\Program Files\Rainmeter\Skins. Now, launch Rainmeter, right click on the rainmeter tray icon, go to configs, find the clock in there, and open it up. You'll find it on your desktop, move it around to fit for your needs, and there you're done.

Now, well, if you want that now playing thing, its alot simpler to use CD Art Display (CAD), instead of using Rainmeter. Now, all you need to do is install CD Art Display from Google, then just use your themes by downloading them from DeviantART, hitting the browse button in CAD, and selecting it. CAD works with, unlike Rainmeter, all music applications, for instance, iTunes, foobar2k, WMP, etc.

Tell me how it goes after this :)

#3 zool

zool

Kohzoku Oni

• 1,064 posts

Posted 12 August 2009 - 03:26 AM

Another newborn rainmeter fan Posted Image i used rainmeter in my Win 7 too.. currently, i'm using two themes inside my RM: Enigma(default skin in new RM) and HUD.Vision . These two themes are my fav..

Spoiler

The clock from the http://www.winmatrix..._0 is from HUD.Vision theme.. you just have to configure the theme..

Edited by zool, 12 August 2009 - 03:34 AM.

#4 Airflow

Airflow

wolfriA

• 796 posts

Posted 12 August 2009 - 03:34 AM

Well, I didn't configure it one bit, I just started it up, selected the clock, and there it was lol.

Although, see, I'd recommend that you'd do some more, especially HUD.Vision from zool's post, that skin is excellent.

#5 Linda V

Linda V

OHLOOKIEME.

• 212 posts

Posted 12 August 2009 - 03:44 AM

To be honest, there's not much thought you have to put in to rainmeter unless you're making the actual config and .ini file, and even then it's pretty darn easy.
Airflow basically explained everything :)

One of my current personal favorites is Geosans Black
http://customize.org...ter/skins/61120

Hope you have fun with rainmeter!

#6 xEks

xEks

Pronounciation: \`eks\

• 650 posts

Posted 12 August 2009 - 03:50 AM

I personally enjoy Rainmeter with Enigma. I'm currently toying around with Ubuntu and Compiz Fusion :D

#7 PurplePeopleEater

PurplePeopleEater

• 4,090 posts

Posted 12 August 2009 - 03:53 AM

ok so I've got something basic going now here take a look:

1. the shaded areas like the one I dragged to the top, how to close just that and open just the shaded area?

2. how do I close the notes app I cant close stuff I can only open them 0.o
I found out how to do it, it was just that each gadget is referred to as a skin
I'm loving rainmeter

3. Is there a way to stop the show desktop button from hiding rainmeter as well?

BTW:
The music plugin on rainmeter works fine i like it

Edited by PurplePeopleEater, 12 August 2009 - 03:58 AM.

#8 zool

zool

Kohzoku Oni

• 1,064 posts

Posted 12 August 2009 - 04:00 AM

ok so I've got something basic going now here take a look:

1. the shaded areas like the one I dragged to the top, how to close just that and open just the shaded area?

2. how do I close the notes app I cant close stuff I can only open them 0.o

3. Is there a way to stop the show desktop button from hiding rainmeter as well?

BTW:
The music plugin on rainmeter works fine i like it

Rightclick at the the spot you want to disable, go to Skin Menu>Close Skin

You can't stop from hiding RM when using show desktop button

#9 PurplePeopleEater

PurplePeopleEater

• 4,090 posts

Posted 12 August 2009 - 04:15 AM

Aww man,

Well thanks for the support everyone , I expected this to be much harder but it's actually very easy and fun!

EDIT:

I spoke to soon, I added the gmail reader skin to rainmeter and it crashed, now I cannot open rainmeter as it crashes on start up. How would I go about closing gmail reader without direct access to rianmeter

Edited by PurplePeopleEater, 12 August 2009 - 04:38 AM.

#10 Linda V

Linda V

OHLOOKIEME.

• 212 posts

Posted 12 August 2009 - 05:11 AM

You can try deleting the folder holding the gmail config or just delete the config itself. :)

#11 zool

zool

Kohzoku Oni

• 1,064 posts

Posted 12 August 2009 - 05:28 AM

Aww man,

Well thanks for the support everyone , I expected this to be much harder but it's actually very easy and fun!

EDIT:

I spoke to soon, I added the gmail reader skin to rainmeter and it crashed, now I cannot open rainmeter as it crashes on start up. How would I go about closing gmail reader without direct access to rianmeter

If you are using Windows 7, Rainmeter crashed every time startup and need to use "Run as Administrator" to open it again.. my current solution is to disable UAC completely.. i didn't dig enough to find the solution on the internet..

#12 PurplePeopleEater

PurplePeopleEater

• 4,090 posts

Posted 12 August 2009 - 05:10 PM

Aww man,

EDIT:

If you are using Windows 7, Rainmeter crashed every time startup and need to use "Run as Administrator" to open it again.. my current solution is to disable UAC completely.. i didn't dig enough to find the solution on the internet..

That worked, but will it automatically do that on start up?

#13 Guest_Airflow_*

Guest_Airflow_*

Posted 12 August 2009 - 05:17 PM

Disabling UAC? It remains disabled forever lol.

#14 zool

zool

Kohzoku Oni

• 1,064 posts

Posted 12 August 2009 - 05:29 PM

Unfortunaltely nope.. i tried all options for adding admin rights to applications dat linked to Rainmeter but they didn't work after i reboot.. so the only option is to disable UAC completely in Control Panel and pray no viruses will mess up your Windows 7 :P

#15 PurplePeopleEater

PurplePeopleEater

• 4,090 posts

Posted 12 August 2009 - 05:59 PM

Unfortunaltely nope.. i tried all options for adding admin rights to applications dat linked to Rainmeter but they didn't work after i reboot.. so the only option is to disable UAC completely in Control Panel and pray no viruses will mess up your Windows 7 :P

Does this happen in Vista aswell?

Hopefully they can update program when RTM is in retail, I wouldn't mind if the problem is fixed

#16 zool

zool

Kohzoku Oni

• 1,064 posts

Posted 12 August 2009 - 06:04 PM

Dunno coz i'm not using Vista.. BTW the new version Rainmeter just released couple days ago to support Windows 7.. i think they gonna fix this before RTM is in retail..

#17 PurplePeopleEater

PurplePeopleEater

• 4,090 posts

Posted 12 August 2009 - 06:07 PM

Dunno coz i'm not using Vista.. BTW the new version Rainmeter just released couple days ago to support Windows 7.. i think they gonna fix this before RTM is in retail..

I'm assuming it updates itself right?

#18 Airflow

Airflow

wolfriA

• 796 posts

Posted 12 August 2009 - 06:11 PM

To be honest, there's not much thought you have to put in to rainmeter unless you're making the actual config and .ini file, and even then it's pretty darn easy.
Airflow basically explained everything :)

One of my current personal favorites is Geosans Black
http://customize.org...ter/skins/61120

Hope you have fun with rainmeter!

If I did, then rep me :lol:

#19 zool

zool

Kohzoku Oni

• 1,064 posts

Posted 12 August 2009 - 06:19 PM

Nope.. you have to check at the website.. i'll post the update that related to Windows 7 problems..

#20 Fugal

Fugal

Fugality

• 121 posts

Posted 03 October 2009 - 08:58 AM

Ok so I need some help.
I use XP SP3
I have NO idea how to use the mail feature.
I don't know what to do with the dll. file.
I use a hotmail account, will this not permit me to use the mail feature?
thank you in advance
hugh

Want to comment?

Register or Sign In to go completely ad-free!