• This topic is locked This topic is locked
158 replies to this topic

#61 Elijah?

Elijah?

Believe it.

• 1,246 posts

Posted 11 August 2009 - 09:26 PM

Wow...some really nice posts there!
This is getting tougher now...would be fun judging, still quite some time left. :)

You're right, there sure is some good competition :) . Makes it all the more interesting...

#62 winmodif

winmodif

Skinning Website Admin

• 83 posts

Posted 11 August 2009 - 10:32 PM

It's pretty hard to come up with one feature I like the most, There are actually three I cannot choose from, though number one has a slight advantage.

1. My job is selling and repairing computers, therefore I work with Windows a lot. I come across a lot of people who have their desktop cluttered with all kinds of icons. Not only the desktop itself is full but also the quicklaunch taskbar and the space next to the clock on the bottom right. We all know the more programs (and often matching icons) are installed, the slower a computer starts up, or works overall. Not mentioning the number of popup windows (notifications) that opens at startup. I always knew a way around that because I work with Windows alot. The 'normal' home user doesn't. In Windows 7 it is very easy to configure what notifications for which programs (icons) you want. And also if you want the icon to display all the time, or not. That's the biggest improvement for me personally. I know how many people are annoyed with all the icons and notifications by the number of people complaining about it. People can now easily configure it and it also makes my job a bit easier.

2. In Windows Vista the directory 'Documents' contains directories with blue/greenish icons. If you make a new directory it's a yellow icon. It looks awfull and I always wished it to be more neat, all yellow or all blue/green-ish, but not both. They fixed it in Windows 7. That makes me very happy.

3. XP mode... How cool is that... getting 2 operating systems for the price of one. I come across lots of small and medium sized companies who will not buy vista because of the fear that older hardware and/or software is not going to work. Not all companies have enough money to keep all hardware and software updated and this will be a great selling point for me to tell people that they can always fall back onto XP Mode whenever something will not work on Windows 7.

#63 i-n33d-m0ney

i-n33d-m0ney

champ

• 18 posts

Posted 12 August 2009 - 03:56 AM

choices choices choices! windows 7 brought so many features i do not know where to begin..!

although it is clear that there are very fancy tools to make windows 7 look beautiful i would have to go with the simple feature which i practically use in everyday situations. no, im not talking about the tool bar because frankly i believe that even windows xp provided what i needed. it could've been the fact that i grew up using that operating system so i am used to it however that is what i believe.

anyways! the feature that i think to be most beneficial to my working lifestyle is the ease of use of stacking windows side by side using the taskbar or mouse gestures!

there were so many times in xp where i had to manually split the screen between my code and debugger and it wasted a fair bit of time. dragging and dropping the window on either side of the screen easily split the window to 50%. to undo, all that was needed was dragging the window back in the open. this feature can be can also be used to full screen a window by dragging and dropping the window to the top portion of the screen.

dont like using mouse gestures or is it not working properly due to dual screen?! problem solved. you can easily move the window to show 50% on the left , 50% on the right or full portion of the screen by focusing on the window, holding the windows key, and pressing either the left, right or up arrow key. (left will make the window 50% of the screen on the left side, right will make the window 50% of the screen on the right, and up will full screen the window)

lastly, if you want all the applications to be shown side by side, by right clicking on the taskbar, then clicking on "show windows side by side". this will show all windows side by side. If you dont like how that looks, you can easily undo by right clicking on the taskbar, and then clicking "undo show side by side". however the difference between this feature and the mouse and keyboard gesture is that it puts all applications side by side. for example, if you're using one monitor with three applications open, it will show all three applications side by side. if you're using two monitors with three applications open on one monitor and another two on the other. it will show the three applications side by side on monitor one, and the two applications side by side on monitor two.

well that is my favourite feature on windows 7! if my explainations are a bit fuzzy or confusing please let me know and i will be glad to change it to help you understand. very handy feature in my opinion.

Attached Files

Edited by i-n33d-m0ney, 12 August 2009 - 03:57 AM.

#64 coldemone

coldemone

Sleeping Winmatrixian

• 2,029 posts

Posted 12 August 2009 - 08:33 AM

They try to make the easiest OS and you guys are always complaining about them.

complaining = competition + fussiness.

people who complain too much are either fanboys or really lazy and fussy people. but that's what keeps the business going. people are lazy and too fanboy.

#65 Guest_alan_*

Guest_alan_*

Posted 12 August 2009 - 12:34 PM

i like the fact they changed the side bar from you can you the gaget's where you want on your screen and the easy to back up and recover / the only good version is ulitmate i would like a x64 key as it sports my 8gb ram

xp was good vista is better i dont see why i hear all the complain about vista i was part of the beta testers on vista i recieved the beter rc1 and rc2 on disk in the post sp1 fixed most problems but most problems i had was the games i had had no new updates to fix the vista problems / then again i would still had the same problem with xp because of my video card was too new for the game redfaction does not like all video cards out there like my 1gb nvidia 9800

#66 andrey

andrey

New WinMatrixian

• Validating
  • 25 posts

Posted 12 August 2009 - 02:30 PM

I do not understand what is the big deal with WIN7 ?
You still need to run antivirus , antispyware , defrag HD , clean registry and so on .
As far as performance goes , with mess that Vista was , it is easy to speak about improvements when your bar is set so low .Maybe now it will be as fast as XP was.
As for eyecandy , Mac level is still out of reach for MS folk and Compiz in linux is preaty damn good to .
So i guess MS still ha lots of work to do , but i am glad they are improving .

WTF!? :blink:

Go and use a Linux if you find trouble with using Microsoft's OS's.

I just don't get it why you guys complain about Microsoft so much. They try to make the easiest OS and you guys are always complaining about them.

It's just totally unfair! At least they are the inventors of modern GUI OS's!

I am not complaining . Actually i did say that i am glad they are improving .
As for being easiest OS to use , that leaves lots of room for improvement . I do not even count how many times did i hear , where did windows put my stuff , what is this d3dihvg#%(RFGK125 error , why does this website tell me i need updates and so on .
Do not get me wrong , i do not have problems using MS products, or MAC or LINUX , i just do not go all gaga over pretty UI .
As for antivirus , antispyware , defrag HD , clean registry it is still needed and security and file system improvements are needed . Internet is becoming vital to so many of us , to much of our lives are there , files are becoming bigger and OS should take good care of our things and data .
And this is also true , As far as performance goes , with mess that Vista was , it is easy to speak about improvements when your bar is set so low .Maybe now it will be as fast as XP was.
I do like all the tweaking under the hood and any improvement is welcome , so do not say life is not fair . Little constructive criticism never killed anyone , but it may have hurt someones feelings .
Mac and Linux have their own problems and shortcomings and unless nobody points them out they will not be fixed .

P.S. is it even legal giving away MS product keys without original media aka DVD kit ?

#67 The Digital Pioneer

The Digital Pioneer

New WinMatrixian

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 12 August 2009 - 05:24 PM

What do I like about Win7? Well, it's quite simple, really. Vista was a steaming pile of ****, and XP was slower than molasses on my computer (which had a whopping 256MB of RAM). Win7 ran with decency in a virtual machine with 128MB of RAM. So simply put, what I like about Win7 is that it is a windows that FINALLY exhibits decent resource handling. I have been using Linux only for a LONG time now (and I don't consider that a bad thing, nor will I give it up for Win7) but now perhaps there is finally a windows that can be used for daily life. I haven't had a chance to try the latest build or RC yet, so I'm not sure how well it performs now, but the version I did get performed VERY well.

#68 Zipotron

Zipotron

My First Post!

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 12 August 2009 - 08:19 PM

Because I have tried Vista and Windows 7, I can say that the thing I prefer is the lightness of the OS and its speed,
I must say that the RC version I tried worked well on my old PC but not Vista.

Sometimes it is good to recognize his mistakes ... :whistle:

Thanks for these contest, it's cool!

See Ya!

:D

Tout Homme est Dieu, Tout Homme est Libre !
All Man is God, All Man is free !

#69 NealTheGuitarist

NealTheGuitarist

Nothing is sound

• 621 posts

Posted 12 August 2009 - 08:25 PM

They try to make the easiest OS and you guys are always complaining about them.

complaining = competition + fussiness.

people who complain too much are either fanboys or really lazy and fussy people. but that's what keeps the business going. people are lazy and too fanboy.

Yeah, you are right.

Because I have tried Vista and Windows 7, I can say that the thing I prefer is the lightness of the OS and its speed,
I must say that the RC version I tried worked well on my old PC but not Vista.

Sometimes it is good to recognize his mistakes ... :whistle:

Thanks for these contest, it's cool!

See Ya!

:D

Tout Homme est Dieu, Tout Homme est Libre !
All Man is God, All Man is free !

Dude! Get 10 posts first!

#70 eder.g

eder.g

New WinMatrixian

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 13 August 2009 - 12:00 AM

some of my favorites feature include preview thumbnail, a good one is for media player. is more productive than vista. take advantage of your hardware. and I really need it. :woot:

Posted Image

#71 OldTimer

OldTimer

New WinMatrixian

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 13 August 2009 - 12:03 AM

The best thing about Windows 7 is the speed and ability to run 8gig of Ram and have it all recognized! It is super simply to use, has Zero usn issues and even installed my blue tooth drivers on install. Microsoft has really hit the nail on the head with this version, the polish shows through in almost everything you do.

#72 TonyStark

TonyStark

My First Post!

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 13 August 2009 - 12:23 AM

Posted Image

Okay, so here it is! Your chance to win Windows 7 License keys, without doing much.

Since Windows 7 has been Released to Manufacturing now, WinMatrix has decided to give away three genuine Windows 7 License keys to the winners of this contest.

Please keep in mind, only keys would be given, not the installation media or the ISO file.

License keys would be given courtesy of Abhi and lareeth.
Posted Image
1st prize: Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit or 64-bit key.

2nd prize: Windows 7 Professional 32-bit or 64-bit key.

3rd prize: Windows 7 Home Premium 32-bit or 64-bit key.

Please go through the Rules and Conditions carefully before posting, as you can only post your entry once.

Eligibility to participate:

• Members with 10 or more posts can participate.
  • You need to join the WinMatrix Facebook page and mention the link to the entry that you post here on the Facebook page.
  • After you submit the entry here, click on the post # at the top of your post on the right hand side, this will give you the link to that post. You need to mention this link on the WinMatrix Facebook page (on the Wall), or your entry will not be considered. This is being done to avoid spammers/troll here, and to ensure that you're active at both the places.

Contest Rules & Conditions:

Contest starts: from the moment the first person replies to this topic.
Contest ends: Saturday, August 15, 2009 at 12:00:00 UTC/GMT. Entries submitted after that would not be considered.

Task:
Here's what you have to do.
The participants need to write a post about their Favorite Feature or thing in Windows 7 in not more than 500 words. You can include screenshots if you wish, but don't post large images.

If you're not aware of all the new features, have a look here: What's New in Windows 7

Judging criteria would be:
Quality of the post, which would be indicative of the Reputation Points the post gets, from other members.

Judging would be done at the close of the contest, by Jatin, Abhi and lareeth and in case of any tie (members getting same reputation points for posts), their decision would be final.

The winners would be announced here at WinMatrix and also at Facebook after that, and would be notified of their prizes through Personal Messages as well.

Winners need to specify which key they want, that is, either 32-bit or 64-bit. Only one would be given.

Lastly,
Please avoid making unnecessary comments at other's posts, and if you're not interested in participating, please do not post.

In case of any confusion or problem, please PM either Jatin, Abhi or lareeth.

So Ladies and Gentlemen, lets kick of this one of a kind contest. Please play fair.
All the best to everyone!

DIGG : http://digg.com/soft..._7_License_Keys

My Favorite thing about Windows 7 is the way it looks and feels. It so modern that it looks better or equal than OSX. Other thing is the way browsers are more faster in Win7 that is a great thing because I use very often heavy JS pages.

I want a 32bit please.

#73 K.Saad

K.Saad

My First Post!

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 13 August 2009 - 12:43 AM

I think this contest is a little unfair for those who don't have Facebook accounts, and I'm one of them.
Is it really that necessary to join your group on Facebook? Pardon, but I don't see the point.

#74 CommonSense

CommonSense

Super WinMatrixian

• 2,620 posts

Posted 13 August 2009 - 12:49 AM

No it's not required. But you do need at least 10 posts. ;)

#75 Guest_Sohum_*

Guest_Sohum_*

Posted 13 August 2009 - 01:08 AM

I can't say exactly what i love about it. I love everything! I like how all the drivers are already there, which saves me a lot of hassle when I put new hardware in. I like the new desktop backgrounds. Even more, I like how stable the OS is. It runs SUPER fast, eve with only 1 gig ram. I think this is MUCH better than vista. I love the new start bar and the sleekness of everything. I hope this is better than XP

#76 SUBRAMANIAN57

SUBRAMANIAN57

New WinMatrixian

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 13 August 2009 - 01:42 AM

Windows 7 is an upcoming version of Microsoft Windows, a series of operating systems produced by Microsoft for use on personal computers, including home and business desktops, laptops, tablet PCs and media center PCs. Less than three years after the release of its predecessor, Windows Vista. Windows 7's server counterpart, Windows Server 2008 R2, is slated for release at the same time.
Unlike its predecessor, which introduced a large number of new features, Windows 7 is intended to be a more focused, incremental upgrade to the Windows line, with the goal of being fully compatible with applications and hardware with which Windows Vista is already compatible. Presentations given by the company in 2008 focused on multi-touch support, a redesigned Windows Shell with a new taskbar, a home networking system called HomeGroup, and performance improvements. Some applications that have been included with prior releases of Microsoft Windows, including Windows Calendar, Windows Mail, Windows Movie Maker, and Windows Photo Gallery, will not be included in Windows 7 some will instead be offered separately as part of the free Windows Live Essentials suite.desktop-Introducing improved taskbar previews, bigger icons, pinning, and creative ways to personalize.Speedy access to your favorite pictures, songs, websites, and documents.A quick (and fun) new way to resize and compare windows on desktop.It's designed to sleep and resume quicker, be less memory hungry, and spot USB devices faster.Pair Windows 7 with a touch-sensitive PC and you won't always need a keyboard or mouse.Windows 7 gets online in fewer clicks.

#77 xsever

xsever

ECE

• 996 posts

Posted 13 August 2009 - 02:15 AM

I like how we started getting new members just for this thread! :D

#78 BilliShere

BilliShere

New WinMatrixian

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 13 August 2009 - 02:15 AM

My favourite feature in windows 7 is the new Window management mouse gestures.

This of course, includes Aero Snap and Aero Shake.

To me these are not two different features. They go together, just like Win+Space and Win+Shift+Up can be classified as keyboard shortcuts. The fact that I use my mouse much more than my keyboard means that using mouse gestures was not only easy but improved the efficiency of my work too.

With Aero Snap, users can easily drag a window to the top of the screen to maximize them. Then when if you change your mind later on, simply drag them away to restore them. Even more useful is if you drag a window to the side of the screen. This allows the window to take exactly half the width of the screen, letting you work with two different windows side by side. Additionally, resizing windows to the bottom of the screen extends the window fully but retains its width. The transitions are animated wonderfully and are not very resource intensive.

Similarly Aero Shake provides the user with an easy way to clear clutter on their screens. Shaking the active window once results in minimizing all other inactive windows, whereas repeating the same action again results in undoing the minimization. This incredibly fun and intuitive way of working with windows allows the user to multitask while staying organized and clutter-free at the same time.

As a result of these window management mouse gestures, one can work with many different windows efficiently and effectively, resulting in a more organized and stress free experience.

Would absolutely love to have a x64 key! :D

#79 andrey

andrey

New WinMatrixian

• Validating
  • 25 posts

Posted 13 August 2009 - 03:54 AM

I do not understand what is the big deal with WIN7 ?
You still need to run antivirus , antispyware , defrag HD , clean registry and so on .
As far as performance goes , with mess that Vista was , it is easy to speak about improvements when your bar is set so low .Maybe now it will be as fast as XP was.
As for eyecandy , Mac level is still out of reach for MS folk and Compiz in linux is preaty damn good to .
So i guess MS still ha lots of work to do , but i am glad they are improving .

WTF!? :blink:

Go and use a Linux if you find trouble with using Microsoft's OS's.

I just don't get it why you guys complain about Microsoft so much. They try to make the easiest OS and you guys are always complaining about them.

It's just totally unfair! At least they are the inventors of modern GUI OS's!

I have no problem using MS or MAC or linux , kiddo ! All i did was point out few areas that need real improvement . While so many posts are going on and on about how pretty it is and taskbar this and that i asked about things under the hood . If your system ( being MS more like when )gets infected with all kinds of junk , your registry corrupted , or HD all fraged up from manipulating large video files during editing and you get your nice BSOD , what then ? Pretty wont be of any help. I also said that i am glad MS is improving and that i am glad. All computer users will benefit from more secure and robust system . Internet will be safer and faster and anyone would hope for most popular system to achieve that .

I am no fanboy of any system , and have no loyalty to any corporation . I like to choose and use what works for me so please do not get all tied up in knots if i do not see world as you do .
As for WIN7 i hope it lives up to what people are excepting from it .

#80 Amv Playa

Amv Playa

EPIK :P

• 27 posts

Posted 13 August 2009 - 04:28 AM

My favorite feature of Windows 7 is definitely the improved UAC (User Account Control) Features that have greatly improved since the Vista days. In Windows 7 we have the option to disable the dimming of the background when UAC requires a permission, but still require the permission to be granted or denied. I personally despised having to entirely disable UAC in Vista in-order to save time. However, this ended up causing me more problems than it solved because this allowed unidentified programs to change system settings that ended up in me having to reset my computer back to restore points a couple of days back. In Windows 7 however I have not had such a problem seeing as how I can easily control and customize UAC into several different settings; allows me to keep the option enabled. The new ability to customize the control of UAC greatly saves a lot of time and effort. Windows 7 will, without a doubt, keep life simple for all of us who do not wish to put up with overcomplicated tutorials on disabling features that are not needed, or not wanted.

I would love a x64 key :D

With Thanks,
AMVPlaya

Want to comment?

Register or Sign In to go completely ad-free!