#21 fediaFedia

fediaFedia

Super WinMatrixian

• Elites
  • 2,553 posts

Posted 08 August 2009 - 07:31 AM

My favorite feature in Windows 7

Posted Image

That's right, the jumplists. This is actually the only feature in the superbar that I like (besides the mouseover hovering and colorization).
With this new feature, accessing important files and folders has never been easier, simply right clicking the program icon in the superbar (or dragging it up with the left mouse button) brings up the jumplist. But that's not all, depending on which program you use, the jumplists can have more, like, for instance, windows live messenger has status controls and some other functions in it's jumplist. I believe that later on this feature will be included in other popular software, allowing users to get access to most important features right from the taskbar, or maybe even include entire mini-program interfaces in the jumplist, replacing the traditional context menu so widely used in some tray applications.

#22 Afzal

Afzal

Super WinMatrixian

• 1,668 posts

Posted 08 August 2009 - 11:29 AM

An essay on Windows 7

The subject of Windows 7 is a controversial ....

Dont tell me that is a real entry! totally off the topic (no discussion of any feature :P ) hilarious read though
and why aren't people repping in this thread?

Edited by Afzal, 08 August 2009 - 11:29 AM.

#23 TechGuy

TechGuy

aka. TheGater

• 73 posts

Posted 08 August 2009 - 01:05 PM

My favourite feature in Windows 7 is the compatability. As a previous sufferer of compatability issues (our printer didn't have drivers for XP and we had to fork out about £150 for a new one), I was insanely exited to hear that compatability would be a key focus of the latest iteration of Windows. I personally beleived that they have delivered on this promise, not only Windows XP Mode, which is a huge help when converting videos, but the working with OEMs to ensure compatability with current systems is a huge plus which, in my opinion, makes in my opinion Windows 7 better than anything that came before it. Also, this feature will mean that more people will buy Windows 7 instead of sticking with Vista, or even XP, as you don't have to buy new stuff, unless you need more RAM or a better Graphics Card, if upgrading from XP, as many probably will.

#24 Syzygy

Syzygy

Zing.

• 3,470 posts

Posted 08 August 2009 - 01:53 PM

An essay on Windows 7

Dont tell me that is a real entry! totally off the topic (no discussion of any feature :P ) hilarious read though

You never know, I might win with laziness lol.

#25 bhast2

bhast2

Hi I'm Win8

• 633 posts

Posted 08 August 2009 - 01:55 PM

I would have to say that my favorite improvement of Windows 7 would have to be "Faster, more responsive performance".
The fact that it doesn't take long to boot up or shut down. Programs open up faster. Less memory usage means I am have more memory for programs such as Photoshop. To me running Windows 7 is a dream compared to Vista. The improvements with x64 is unbelievable as that is all I run.

#26 CommonSense

CommonSense

Super WinMatrixian

• 2,620 posts

Posted 08 August 2009 - 02:38 PM

An essay on Windows 7

That was hilarious man! I hope you win for that. :rofl:

#27 Afzal

Afzal

Super WinMatrixian

• 1,668 posts

Posted 08 August 2009 - 03:45 PM

An essay on Windows 7

lmfao!! :D

#28 nikhil14b

nikhil14b

WinMatrixian

• 104 posts

Posted 08 August 2009 - 06:51 PM

Windows 7 Multi-Touch Feature
Windows 7 has enriched the Windows experience with the multi touch feature, making touch a first-class citizen as another way to interact with the PC alongside the mouse and keyboard. When paired it with a touch-screen PC, user can browse online newspapers, flick through photo albums, and shuffle files and folders - using nothing but fingers.

Windows 7 support the following touch features:
  • Tap : The screen ripples outward, like water, plus there's a tiny crosshair where you are actually tapping. The TouchSmart makes a beep (and when you tap with a second finger at the same time, that touch emits a higher-pitch beep).
  • Tap and hold : Tapping and holding, makes a circle swirl around the finger.
  • Flick : Enabling flicks, can let the user swim through longer pages and menus a lot faster, both vertically and horizontally.When user reaches the end of the menu or screen, the window recoils a bit, indicating the termination.
    Posted Image
  • Type : Tapping the screen's edge brings in front an on-screen keyboard.
  • Zoom : Put two fingers on the screen and move them together to zoom out, and separate them to zoom in.
  • Rotate : Move two fingers in a circular fashion, and the photo rotates.
  • Draw: Drawing with fingers.
Legacy Support - An interesting touch feature provided in Windows 7 is that, for existing applications which are touch-unaware, Windows 7 provides free, out-of-the-box support for a few basic gestures; thus making such applications touch usable.

Applications utilizing the multi touch feature:
  • Map Navigation (like Google earth)
  • Photo albums
  • Games
  • Drawing
  • Browsing online newspapers
  • Multimedia Applications
    Posted Image
    Surface Globe - Virtual Earth 3D
Microsoft has introduced a cool Windows 7 Touch Pack
This package includes six multi-touch optimized applications and games:
  • Surface Collage : Photo Manager
  • Surface Globe : Virtual Earth
  • Microsoft Blackboard : Puzzle game
  • Surface Lagoon : Screensaver
  • Microsoft Garden Pond : Try your creativity with water ripples
  • Microsoft Rebound : Game

Edited by nikhil14b, 08 August 2009 - 07:29 PM.

#29 Abhi

Abhi

Geek...

• 1,113 posts

Posted 08 August 2009 - 08:56 PM

Nice posts guys! :)

I can see that there are some confusions, I'll try to clear them.

If you're worried about the results being based solely off the rep. points that the posts get, don't worry, we're here to see that.
The content would be judged too, so there is no need to worry.

Also, some people have issues with the Facebook thing. You can still submit your posts here, and not worry about the same.
If your entry is good, it would be considered.

I hope I have cleared some doubts, if not, feel free to PM me.

Have fun and good luck, again! :)

#30 Afzal

Afzal

Super WinMatrixian

• 1,668 posts

Posted 08 August 2009 - 09:14 PM

Nice posts guys! :)

I can see that there are some confusions, I'll try to clear them.

If you're worried about the results being based solely off the rep. points that the posts get, don't worry, we're here to see that.
The content would be judged too, so there is no need to worry.

Also, some people have issues with the Facebook thing. You can still submit your posts here, and not worry about the same.
If your entry is good, it would be considered.

I hope I have cleared some doubts, if not, feel free to PM me.

Have fun and good luck, again! :)

good to see this :)
1 important question: Is Syzygy's entry valid? :D

Edited by Afzal, 08 August 2009 - 09:15 PM.

#31 Abhi

Abhi

Geek...

• 1,113 posts

Posted 08 August 2009 - 09:32 PM

Would decide at the end of the contest. :)

#32 Syzygy

Syzygy

Zing.

• 3,470 posts

Posted 09 August 2009 - 12:28 AM

Would decide at the end of the contest. :)

:P

It better be ^^

#33 coldemone

coldemone

Sleeping Winmatrixian

• 2,029 posts

Posted 09 August 2009 - 05:23 AM

how about mine? It talks about piracy.

#34 Lord Devrexster

Lord Devrexster

Hardcore Winmatrixcian

• 999 posts

Posted 09 August 2009 - 11:38 AM

I was going to post about jumplists but the obvious merits of it has already been posted.

Anyways if anybody cares, click and hold ur Left-MButton on any taskbar icon then drag it outwards from the taskbar. A nice effect with the jumplists will appear. And it is things like these that interest me most about W7. And since I am a somewhat developer, I was quick to realize the logic behind the "Recent" lists in the jumplists. The more frequently used a program is the more frequently is its jumplist updated. For example Media Players will have there lists updated almost on every launch, while other less frequently used things lets say an mp3 converter will have its jumplists updated after every 4-5 launches. Also the pinning and unpinning saves a lot of time out of redundant work. The taskbar itself has probably more than a 1000 subroutines running at a time. I cudnt believe it when I saw that the new taskbar can aquire a scrollbar in its display area if icons exceed its length. Amazing !!

Soooo much thought has gone into every detail, its overwhelming. And this is the same reason why Vista felt like a "hurried to release" OS. People had to look around for stuff. Which is nowhere the case with W7. It feels solid, it is solid. And also I am hoping for some great api's this time to help me with the "bling" factor of any program I may do for W7.

edit : 32 bit key plz !!

#35 PurplePeopleEater

PurplePeopleEater

I'm an Android fanboy sue me

• 4,090 posts

Posted 09 August 2009 - 07:28 PM

I was going to post about jumplists but the obvious merits of it has already been posted.

Anyways if anybody cares, click and hold ur Left-MButton on any taskbar icon then drag it outwards from the taskbar. A nice effect with the jumplists will appear. And it is things like these that interest me most about W7. And since I am a somewhat developer, I was quick to realize the logic behind the "Recent" lists in the jumplists. The more frequently used a program is the more frequently is its jumplist updated. For example Media Players will have there lists updated almost on every launch, while other less frequently used things lets say an mp3 converter will have its jumplists updated after every 4-5 launches. Also the pinning and unpinning saves a lot of time out of redundant work. The taskbar itself has probably more than a 1000 subroutines running at a time. I cudnt believe it when I saw that the new taskbar can aquire a scrollbar in its display area if icons exceed its length. Amazing !!

Soooo much thought has gone into every detail, its overwhelming. And this is the same reason why Vista felt like a "hurried to release" OS. People had to look around for stuff. Which is nowhere the case with W7. It feels solid, it is solid. And also I am hoping for some great api's this time to help me with the "bling" factor of any program I may do for W7.

Yea the jumplists are really awesome, I love seeing some of the programs get updated with the feature, iTunes for example just got jumplists in the 8.3 update, I use it alot because it has my top 5 recently played.
Firefox uses the jumplist as a recent download window so there is definitely alot of possibility with the jumplist feature (which also can be accessed through a Right Click)

#36 NealTheGuitarist

NealTheGuitarist

Nothing is sound

• 621 posts

Posted 09 August 2009 - 08:03 PM

My favourite feature in Windows 7 is definitely the low-resourced graphical improvements. I am not a user of Windows 7 but from various resources I really liked the GUI improvements in Windows 7. Not much more than Vista but the GUI improvement, in my opinion, is totally awesome!

And about the other things, Windows 7 is fast, reliable. Like we heard about XP in the past days. So it should be a great opportunity for the XP users to upgrade into this fast, reliable OS that Microsoft is going to release.

I don't have much more to say, but as a regular user (Customising, playing games and doing other stuffs), in my opinion that Windows 7 is going to bring a new Vista in Microsoft's OS history and I am eagerly waiting for it's release.

I liked every bit of it without using it. When the final release comes out, I'll definitely try to try it out.

Thanks for reading and good luck to you all!

#37 Abhi

Abhi

Geek...

• 1,113 posts

Posted 10 August 2009 - 01:18 AM

We'll know in 5 days. :)

#38 PurplePeopleEater

PurplePeopleEater

I'm an Android fanboy sue me

• 4,090 posts

Posted 10 August 2009 - 03:54 AM

biggest hype maker ever lol

#39 Abhi

Abhi

Geek...

• 1,113 posts

Posted 10 August 2009 - 05:59 AM

biggest hype maker ever lol

Not creating any hype, that's when the entries will be judged finally! :)

#40 coldemone

coldemone

Sleeping Winmatrixian

• 2,029 posts

Posted 10 August 2009 - 09:16 AM

it was supposed to be joke. Ultimate keys meh.

Want to comment?

Register or Sign In to go completely ad-free!