Yet Another Freeware Antivirus Question

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
51 replies to this topic

#21 xEks

xEks

Pronounciation: \`eks\

• 650 posts

Posted 05 August 2009 - 12:24 AM

I recommend Avast! Home Edition, its free and it is very good for be free too. =]

The only reason that people like you recommends Avast is that you want to wreck other people's computers as I have seen several times Avast finding a virus and the only way to get rid of the virus is to format drive C: and reinstall windows...........STOP Trying TO WRECK PEOPLE'S COMPUTERS WHEN THEY ASK FOR ADVICE PEOPLE WITH AVAST AS IT IS THE WORST ANTIVIRUS PROGRAM OUT THERE AS I HAVE SEEN

LET ME USE CAPS LOCK ON YOU! F**K! That's annoying.

There are other ways to remove most viruses than by formatting the OS drive. Viruses slip by if their definitions are not in the list that the AV is using. Maybe you or whomever did not update Avast, and thus a virus slipped through. Maybe it was a new virus. Conficker slipped through A LOT of detections. Even PAID AVs. So stop saying Avast is just to wreck people's computers. It is a great AV! And you still haven't proved me otherwise. All you do is say it wrecks the computers. If you f**king tell us why it is a bad AV, then maybe we will stop recommending it. But so far, you haven't said anything but worthless opinions. So quit busting Avast's balls.

This is why I want the -rep back! So I can give this and his other post -1! :angry:

+1 for getting -1 back.

#22 absenteekamsunshine

absenteekamsunshine

New WinMatrixian

• 41 posts

Posted 05 August 2009 - 12:41 AM

I recommend Avast! Home Edition, its free and it is very good for be free too. =]

The only reason that people like you recommends Avast is that you want to wreck other people's computers as I have seen several times Avast finding a virus and the only way to get rid of the virus is to format drive C: and reinstall windows...........STOP Trying TO WRECK PEOPLE'S COMPUTERS WHEN THEY ASK FOR ADVICE PEOPLE WITH AVAST AS IT IS THE WORST ANTIVIRUS PROGRAM OUT THERE AS I HAVE SEEN

There are other ways to remove most viruses than by formatting the OS drive. Viruses slip by if their definitions are not in the list that the AV is using. Maybe you or whomever did not update Avast, and thus a virus slipped through. Maybe it was a new virus. Conficker slipped through A LOT of detections. Even PAID AVs. So stop saying Avast is just to wreck people's computers. It is a great AV! And you still haven't proved me otherwise. All you do is say it wrecks the computers. If you f**king tell us why it is a bad AV, then maybe we will stop recommending it. But so far, you haven't said anything but worthless opinions. So quit busting Avast's balls.

This is why I want the -rep back! So I can give this and his other post -1! :angry:

The only reason I used caps is that in several sections in this forum that people have asked for advice for a antivirus program people have recommended Avast where I have said several times what is wrong with Avast and people are still trying to wreck other people's computers by recommending Avast where I want to help people out by telling people that with certain viruses with Avast the only way to clean the computer is to format drive C: and to reinstall windows where I have seen this problem on several computers.........and computer stores recommend that people stay away from Avast and that they use AVG as I have said in another section of this forum where I have always kept my antivirus program up to date and got the problem I have said and also when I have helped out friends that have used Avast first thing I did to help fix their computer was to update Avast then run the scan only to have Avast say that their was a virus that couldn't be cleaned...............The only free anti virus programs that will clean all the viruses that I have seen is AVG and Antivir

#23 Airflow

Airflow

wolfriA

• 796 posts

Posted 05 August 2009 - 01:01 AM

The only reason I used caps is that in several sections in this forum that people have asked for advice for a antivirus program people have recommended Avast where I have said several times what is wrong with Avast and people are still trying to wreck other people's computers by recommending Avast where I want to help people out by telling people that with certain viruses with Avast the only way to clean the computer is to format drive C: and to reinstall windows where I have seen this problem on several computers.........and computer stores recommend that people stay away from Avast and that they use AVG as I have said in another section of this forum where I have always kept my antivirus program up to date and got the problem I have said and also when I have helped out friends that have used Avast first thing I did to help fix their computer was to update Avast then run the scan only to have Avast say that their was a virus that couldn't be cleaned...............The only free anti virus programs that will clean all the viruses that I have seen is AVG and Antivir

1. Who the hell are you? You manage to show that through your 34 posts, most of them are total bullshit.
2. If you don't like Avast, don't use it. And recommend your own. But stop acting like a f**ktard to people that recommend something that you don't like.

I'd recommend ESET NOD32, but I'm not sure if it actually shuts it off completely..

#24 coldemone

coldemone

Sleeping Winmatrixian

• 2,029 posts

Posted 05 August 2009 - 01:08 AM

Avast! is good. Why?

AVG had gone down. It was once okay, but it ended.

Avira is naggy. Otherwise okay.

You can also yell freedom and have no AV. But you have to dodge ads (adblock), popups, unsafe sites(go with WOT), USB viruses and such. Even a savvy computer user can get viruses from USB.

#25 absenteekamsunshine

absenteekamsunshine

New WinMatrixian

• 41 posts

Posted 05 August 2009 - 01:13 AM

1. Who the hell are you? You manage to show that through your 34 posts, most of them are total bullshit.
2. If you don't like Avast, don't use it. And recommend your own. But stop acting like a f**ktard to people that recommend something that you don't like.

I'd recommend ESET NOD32, but I'm not sure if it actually shuts it off completely..

My posts are not bullshit I am trying to help people out by letting people know the trouble that people have with Avast that I have seen after F**K jerks recommend Avast I don't use anymore free anti virus programs I just don't want people that don't know how to fix a computer after Avast finds a virus that it can't clean have to pay a computer store to fix their computer and after I have said what Avast is like anyone that suggest Avast on this forum is a F**K jerk that don't know what they are talking about and should not be allowed to post on these forums

#26 Linda V

Linda V

OHLOOKIEME.

• 212 posts

Posted 05 August 2009 - 01:40 AM

I recommend Avast! Home Edition. It saved my butt a couple of times already. It also has on access protection which is always a plus!

#27 CommonSense

CommonSense

Super WinMatrixian

• 2,620 posts

Posted 05 August 2009 - 01:42 AM

@absenteekamsunshine: What the f**k are you talking about? :blink:

Edited by CommonSense, 05 August 2009 - 01:55 AM.

#28 zool

zool

Kohzoku Oni

• 1,064 posts

Posted 05 August 2009 - 01:42 AM

Guys, if you want to use Avira and didnt want that stupid popups to come out, here is the solution..

Windows 2000 / Windows XP Pro
Go to Start > Run.
Type gpedit.msc and click OK.
Navigate through User Configuration > Administrative Templates > System.
Double click "Don't run specified Windows applications".
Enable it and click show.
Add "avnotify.exe".
Click OK on all open windows.
Restart.
Alternate:

Start > Run: secpol.msc (You can also access this program through 'Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Local Security Policy' this is useful if it is easier the location of this rather than the file name)
Right click "Software Restriction Policies," Choose "New Software Restriction Policies." (Skip this step if there are subfolders in Software Restriction Policies already.)
Right Click "Additional Rule" folder > New Path Rule.
Where it says Path, Type the path of avnotify.exe on your computer, or use the Browse button to find it. (On XP64 using a default install of Avira, the path is: (C:\Program Files (x86)\Avira\AntiVir PersonalEdition Classic\avnotify.exe)
Make sure the "Security Level" Dropdown menu is selected as "Disallowed"
If you would like to make sure it went through correctly, open the Additional Rules folder, and verify the path and security level.
Enjoy the absence of nag windows.
Windows XP Home
Boot into Safe Mode.
Open [driveinstalledon]:\Program Files\Avira\AntiVir PersonalEdition Classic.
Right click on avnotify.exe and go to Properties > Security > Advanced.
Click on Edit-> Traverse Folder / Execute File-> deny-> OK.
Repeat for all users.
Reboot your computer normally.
or
Run the command "cacls “%SYSTEMDRIVE%\Program Files\Avira\Insertpath\avnotify.exe” /e /d Everyone" to change the rights without restarting. Everyone can be exhanged with another user account when needed

Windows Vista Business/Ultimate
Open the control panel through Start > Control Panel.
Go to Administrative Tools > Local security policy.
Click on Software Restriction Policy > Action > Create new restriction policy.
Right-click, and go to additional rules > new path rule.
Click Browse and navigate to C:\Program Files\Avira\AntiVir Desktop\ and double-click avnotify.exe.
Set the security level to Disallowed.
Click apply and OK.

Windows Vista Home
Go to C:\Program Files (x86)\Avira\AntiVir Desktop\avnotify.exe for the current version, 9. For earlier versions, go to C:\Program Files\Avira\AntiVir PersonalEdition Classic\avnotify.exe.
Right-click avnotify.exe and go to Properties > Security.
Under the group or username SYSTEM, click edit.
Put a checkmark under the DENY column for "read and execute".

BUT BE WARNED THAT Disabling the popup ads may be considered a violation of Avira's End-user license agreement (EULA). The licensee is not authorized without the written express permission of Avira, to change, translate, retro-develop, decompile or disassemble the Software, or to create works derived from the Software or the documentation, or to reproduce, translate, change or create works derived from the documentation , insofar as this is not absolutely necessary within the context of contractual use. Understand that Avira has the right to terminate your software without notice in the case of substantial violations of contractual obligations

CAUTION: Group Policy Editor and the other tools mentioned in this article are very powerful. Improper use may turn your computer into a paperweight. Please, do not mess around in there unless you know exactly what you're doing.

Credit to http://www.wikihow.c...n-Avira-Antivir
PEACE.. :punk:

Edited by zool, 05 August 2009 - 02:48 AM.

#29 absenteekamsunshine

absenteekamsunshine

New WinMatrixian

• 41 posts

Posted 05 August 2009 - 02:22 AM

Since you don't know what I am talking about I guess you don't understand my post...but as a Christian I do know that I have to let people know what trouble I and other people have had with Avast when some F**K jerks on this forum wants to keep recommending a anti virus program which is garbage so as a Christian I do know that I have done the right thing and with the post that I have put here telling people the Avast problems when the time comes I am ready to meet God with trying to protect peoples computers.I do know that with what I have put in my post about Avast that people that keep recommending Avast will have to answer to God on why they are trying to wreck peoples computers.....where I keep praying that God will forgive them for trying to wreck other people's computers

#30 CommonSense

CommonSense

Super WinMatrixian

• 2,620 posts

Posted 05 August 2009 - 02:26 AM

Since you don't know what I am talking about I guess you don't understand my post...but as a Christian I do know that I have to let people know what trouble I and other people have had with Avast when some F**K jerks on this forum wants to keep recommending a anti virus program which is garbage so as a Christian I do know that I have done the right thing and with the post that I have put here telling people the Avast problems when the time comes I am ready to meet God with trying to protect peoples computers.I do know that with what I have put in my post about Avast that people that keep recommending Avast will have to answer to God on why they are trying to wreck peoples computers.....where I keep praying that God will forgive them for trying to wreck other people's computers

Buddy I'm Catholic okay? So I really take offense to everything you just said. Maybe you do pray to God for people to have good AV, and to forgive me and others for recommending Avast, but I still think that was unnecessary. Another thing, God doesn't want you to have selfish ideas, and to hate others for their ideas, but to love them like you love God.

Edited by CommonSense, 05 August 2009 - 02:29 AM.

#31 Linda V

Linda V

OHLOOKIEME.

• 212 posts

Posted 05 August 2009 - 02:28 AM

@ absenteekamsunshine

Did you just connect recommending an anti virus program with religion?

LOL

#32 coldemone

coldemone

Sleeping Winmatrixian

• 2,029 posts

Posted 05 August 2009 - 02:32 AM

Everyone thinks they are smart.

that's why people are stupid.

and that's why there are f**king one sided people who never considers other people's opinion.

#33 zool

zool

Kohzoku Oni

• 1,064 posts

Posted 05 August 2009 - 02:40 AM

Hey, chill down guys/girls. No need to flame each other.

@absenteekamsunshine: It seems that you having a bad experience with Avast, when is the last time you used Avast? Like me, i also having a problem with Avast but that was 4 years ago. So, i don't know if the new version is more better or not. I also having problem with Avira but that was last year and now, I'm using AVG but still got problem with that last month(luckily i have my system restore).

Everyone experiencing different problems with AV. It also depends on virus that infected you, every AV has pros and cons. Just suggest your AV and state the reason if you want.

Edited by zool, 05 August 2009 - 02:46 AM.

#34 coldemone

coldemone

Sleeping Winmatrixian

• 2,029 posts

Posted 05 August 2009 - 02:48 AM

AVs are always a hot topic. I don't know why try looking at other's topics.

Freeware AVs also have their own weakness. They're basically weak versions of the paid version. Buying the paid version is not good though.

#35 xEks

xEks

Pronounciation: \`eks\

• 650 posts

Posted 05 August 2009 - 02:54 AM

I say if you really are fretting over what anti-virus to get and can't settle on a free one and don't want to pay for one, then just unplug your internet. There isn't anything that is perfect.

#36 mhunkeyz

mhunkeyz

WinMatrixian

• 55 posts

Posted 05 August 2009 - 03:36 AM

Avira free edition... the best today.. faster virus scanner & high detection of virus.

#37 Syzygy

Syzygy

Zing.

• 3,470 posts

Posted 05 August 2009 - 03:46 AM

Okay, so I've been using AVG for a long time now, but ever since they redid the interface it's been nothing but trouble for me. And, you can't turn it off completely without uninstalling. So my question is what antivirus to choose. It has to fit the following:

1: It has to be free.
2: It has to not be so bloated that it's useless. XD
3: It has to have the option to completely shut it down. (AVG continued to run in the background even after being shut off.)

So what antivirus solution fits these criteria?

NOD32 + nod321.com or nod325.com

Those sites give you trial keys, so every month you'll have to renew using another key. 12 times a year, it's not that painful and it's worth it.

NOD32 looks nice and professional, and for the trial version it doesn't bug you like crap. Nod32 is also one of the leading AV's out there.

#38 navy

navy

WinMatrixian

• 91 posts

Posted 05 August 2009 - 04:52 AM

try NOD32

#39 absenteekamsunshine

absenteekamsunshine

New WinMatrixian

• 41 posts

Posted 05 August 2009 - 07:16 AM

Hey, chill down guys/girls. No need to flame each other.

@absenteekamsunshine: It seems that you having a bad experience with Avast, when is the last time you used Avast? Like me, i also having a problem with Avast but that was 4 years ago. So, i don't know if the new version is more better or not. I also having problem with Avira but that was last year and now, I'm using AVG but still got problem with that last month(luckily i have my system restore).

Everyone experiencing different problems with AV. It also depends on virus that infected you, every AV has pros and cons. Just suggest your AV and state the reason if you want.

yes I have had bad experience with Avast along with a lot of other people in the last 6 months in the area that I live in and you have said something about my saying which AV that I am running....with only getting $1000 a month on my pension I am buying McAfee 1 copy for my desktop computer and another copy for my laptop.................where I don't care what the people suggesting Avast think of me as long as I have been able to protect someone's computer from the problem that Avast causes on computers that I have seen a lot of in the area that I live in with Avast being up to date most of the time and on my computer I always keep my AV up to date

#40 CommonSense

CommonSense

Super WinMatrixian

• 2,620 posts

Posted 05 August 2009 - 11:14 AM

Okay, so I've been using AVG for a long time now, but ever since they redid the interface it's been nothing but trouble for me. And, you can't turn it off completely without uninstalling. So my question is what antivirus to choose. It has to fit the following:

1: It has to be free.
2: It has to not be so bloated that it's useless. XD
3: It has to have the option to completely shut it down. (AVG continued to run in the background even after being shut off.)

So what antivirus solution fits these criteria?

NOD32 + nod321.com or nod325.com

Those sites give you trial keys, so every month you'll have to renew using another key. 12 times a year, it's not that painful and it's worth it.

NOD32 looks nice and professional, and for the trial version it doesn't bug you like crap. Nod32 is also one of the leading AV's out there.

Thanks Syzygy! I'm definitely going to be using this now! :D

Want to comment?

Register or Sign In to go completely ad-free!