Yet Another Freeware Antivirus Question

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
51 replies to this topic

#1 Tygr

Tygr

HOLY CRAP IT'S A TYGR GET IN THE CAR!

• 276 posts

Posted 04 August 2009 - 03:12 PM

Okay, so I've been using AVG for a long time now, but ever since they redid the interface it's been nothing but trouble for me. And, you can't turn it off completely without uninstalling. So my question is what antivirus to choose. It has to fit the following:

1: It has to be free.
2: It has to not be so bloated that it's useless. XD
3: It has to have the option to completely shut it down. (AVG continued to run in the background even after being shut off.)

So what antivirus solution fits these criteria?

#2 CommonSense

CommonSense

Super WinMatrixian

• 2,620 posts

Posted 04 August 2009 - 03:18 PM

Avast! Home Edition or Avira Free.

#3 Villain

Villain

An Old Geek

• Global Moderator
  • 6,003 posts

Posted 04 August 2009 - 03:27 PM

use avast, just dont install it's skinning system.

#4 zool

zool

Kohzoku Oni

• 1,064 posts

Posted 04 August 2009 - 03:42 PM

I used to have Avast in 2005(before i got problems with Brontok) then switched to Avira in 2006-2008(another virus keep buggging me although i always update it) and lastly AVG(i didnt see anymore viruses that can pass this one).. this is only my experience..

#5 Munkypoo7

Munkypoo7

Proud WinMatrix Member

• 1,015 posts

Posted 04 August 2009 - 03:59 PM

+1 for Avast

#6 Tech

Tech

Super WinMatrixian

• Elites
  • 1,873 posts

Posted 04 August 2009 - 04:02 PM

I've been using AVG for years and never had any problems, recently the pop up ad to buy and upgrade is buging me....Im debating wether to switch to Avast or not.

#7 Guest_stealth49_*

Guest_stealth49_*

Posted 04 August 2009 - 04:27 PM

+1 Avast been using it for years

#8 M.Sudoku

M.Sudoku

Super Duper WinMatrixian

• 2,191 posts

Posted 04 August 2009 - 04:52 PM

I'd suggest Avira Antivir. It has the best detection rate!

#9 FalseAgent

FalseAgent

your average joe (tm)

• Elites
  • 6,694 posts

Posted 04 August 2009 - 05:37 PM

+1 for running no AV at all. Really, I don't know how you guys get viruses these days. Windows and internet browsers these days are so safe on their own.

#10 CommonSense

CommonSense

Super WinMatrixian

• 2,620 posts

Posted 04 August 2009 - 05:45 PM

+1 for running no AV at all. Really, I don't know how you guys get viruses these days. Windows and internet browsers these days are so safe on their own.

Yeah that's what I do. But when I have to recommend an AV, it's Avast! :D

#11 zool

zool

Kohzoku Oni

• 1,064 posts

Posted 04 August 2009 - 06:13 PM

Hoho.. my university "cyber cafe" is infected with tons of viruses.. before they started using Norton this year, almost everyday i got viruses and thanks to Avira.. but there is one particular virus that annoyed me bcoz Avira didnt detect it for weeks.. bcoz of that i changed to AVG..

btw.. i got the viruses coz my frens always plug their pen drive inside my pc..

one more things, viruses from asia spread quickly especially from Indonesia(the most popular virus was Brontok)

#12 SharmanNet

SharmanNet

Super WinMatrixian

• 1,543 posts

Posted 04 August 2009 - 06:22 PM

No anti-virus is a bad idea!
Download Avira or AVG or Avast.

#13 absenteekamsunshine

absenteekamsunshine

New WinMatrixian

• 41 posts

Posted 04 August 2009 - 06:44 PM

since there is lots of topics in this forum that people have asked for advice on a free antivirus program and people keep suggesting Avast a antivirus program that will find a virus on the computer but it won't clean the computer up and get rid of the virus I now know this forum is filled with people that only want to wreck other people's computer. Which I think it would be best if someone in the future asks about a antivirus program that Avast is not metioned here since Avast is proven to wreck people's computer's so stop trying to wreck people's computer's with Avast...............I am going to suggest that if you want to use a free antivirus program that antivir would be a good 1 to try along with doing the free online scan with a antivirus program of your choice........which on a pension I will never ever use a free antivirus program again as you get what you pay for.

#14 CommonSense

CommonSense

Super WinMatrixian

• 2,620 posts

Posted 04 August 2009 - 07:37 PM

since there is lots of topics in this forum that people have asked for advice on a free antivirus program and people keep suggesting Avast a antivirus program that will find a virus on the computer but it won't clean the computer up and get rid of the virus I now know this forum is filled with people that only want to wreck other people's computer. Which I think it would be best if someone in the future asks about a antivirus program that Avast is not metioned here since Avast is proven to wreck people's computer's so stop trying to wreck people's computer's with Avast...............I am going to suggest that if you want to use a free antivirus program that antivir would be a good 1 to try along with doing the free online scan with a antivirus program of your choice........which on a pension I will never ever use a free antivirus program again as you get what you pay for.

And that is why Avast is one of the top free AV? I find that Avast does an excellent job, and I haven't heard of it wrecking people's computers. I know AVG does that, it detected iTunes as a virus FFS. The free edition of Avast is their professional edition, but for non-commercial use.

Avira has great free AV, but it's naggy. It nags you to buy the full version, unless they changed that.

Yes, paid AVs are always better, but that is not the topic here. It is on FREE AV.

Edited by CommonSense, 04 August 2009 - 07:39 PM.

#15 Preath

Preath

Elite WinMatrixian.

• 2,352 posts

Posted 04 August 2009 - 07:47 PM

I recommend Avast! Home Edition, its free and it is very good for be free too. =]

#16 mjr4189

mjr4189

WinMatrixian

• 66 posts

Posted 04 August 2009 - 09:03 PM

I'd suggest Avira Antivir. It has the best detection rate!

I could never stand Avira Antivir because it would spam me with advertisements about their paid version. I hate that, I use Avast.

#17 CAS91572

CAS91572

Active WinMatrixian

• 640 posts

Posted 04 August 2009 - 09:35 PM

I switched. The pop ups asking me to buy the pro copy got annoying. I'm using the free one from Microsoft right now, but might end up switching to Avast. i don't like Avira either because of it's pop ups.

Edited by CAS91572, 04 August 2009 - 09:36 PM.

#18 absenteekamsunshine

absenteekamsunshine

New WinMatrixian

• 41 posts

Posted 04 August 2009 - 11:25 PM

I recommend Avast! Home Edition, its free and it is very good for be free too. =]

The only reason that people like you recommends Avast is that you want to wreck other people's computers as I have seen several times Avast finding a virus and the only way to get rid of the virus is to format drive C: and reinstall windows...........STOP Trying TO WRECK PEOPLE'S COMPUTERS WHEN THEY ASK FOR ADVICE PEOPLE WITH AVAST AS IT IS THE WORST ANTIVIRUS PROGRAM OUT THERE AS I HAVE SEEN

#19 xEks

xEks

Pronounciation: \`eks\

• 650 posts

Posted 04 August 2009 - 11:37 PM

It really is hard to get a virus with all the OS and Browser security. Unless you are downloading a lot from unsafe sources (ahem pirates) I don't see how you'd get a virus unless someone personally is attacking you.

Personally I use AVG and have had no issues with the pop-ups until this week but it's rare for them to pop up; maybe once a day. What's the point of using an anti-virus if you want to completely shut it down...oh wait are you trying to shut it down to patch programs with cracks? Lol

I say no anti-virus + unplug your internet = win, but we all need the internet so AVG gets my +1.

#20 CommonSense

CommonSense

Super WinMatrixian

• 2,620 posts

Posted 05 August 2009 - 12:06 AM

The only reason that people like you recommends Avast is that you want to wreck other people's computers as I have seen several times Avast finding a virus and the only way to get rid of the virus is to format drive C: and reinstall windows...........STOP Trying TO WRECK PEOPLE'S COMPUTERS WHEN THEY ASK FOR ADVICE PEOPLE WITH AVAST AS IT IS THE WORST ANTIVIRUS PROGRAM OUT THERE AS I HAVE SEEN

LET ME USE CAPS LOCK ON YOU! F**K! That's annoying.

There are other ways to remove most viruses than by formatting the OS drive. Viruses slip by if their definitions are not in the list that the AV is using. Maybe you or whomever did not update Avast, and thus a virus slipped through. Maybe it was a new virus. Conficker slipped through A LOT of detections. Even PAID AVs. So stop saying Avast is just to wreck people's computers. It is a great AV! And you still haven't proved me otherwise. All you do is say it wrecks the computers. If you f**king tell us why it is a bad AV, then maybe we will stop recommending it. But so far, you haven't said anything but worthless opinions. So quit busting Avast's balls.

This is why I want the -rep back! So I can give this and his other post -1! :angry:

Edited by CommonSense, 05 August 2009 - 12:07 AM.

Want to comment?

Register or Sign In to go completely ad-free!