• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Jatin

Jatin

Administrator

• Admin
  • 4,862 posts

Posted 28 July 2009 - 03:43 PM

Now when we have reCAPTCHA installed, we can allow guests to post here without worrying about spam.

The disadvantage of allowing guests to post is that, the quality of posts/content may be poor. For avoiding this problem we are taking these steps:

• Guest posts wont appear instantly. WinMatrix staff will approve them.
  • Old threads won't be dug up, unless the post is very important.
  • Any post which doesn't contribute something useful to a discussion thread won't be approved.

The reason for allowing guests to post is that, here a lot of members post just once and never come back. I don't want to fill our database with them. Moreover, if a guest feels to post again then I think he would be encouraged to register instead of filling the CAPTCHA again and again.

#2 InlineSkate

InlineSkate

WinMatrix Addict

• 3,182 posts

Posted 28 July 2009 - 04:01 PM

Sounds like a fair solution.

#3 CommonSense

CommonSense

Super WinMatrixian

• 2,620 posts

Posted 28 July 2009 - 04:03 PM

Why don't you just send out a massive set of emails to all the registered members, and if they don't reply or click a link, then their account gets deleted. Or members that haven't logged on since they registered should be deleted... or some with 0 post count.

Good move on the guests though.

#4 InlineSkate

InlineSkate

WinMatrix Addict

• 3,182 posts

Posted 28 July 2009 - 04:09 PM

Why don't you just send out a massive set of emails to all the registered members, and if they don't reply or click a link, then their account gets deleted. Or members that haven't logged on since they registered should be deleted... or some with 0 post count.

Good move on the guests though.

Not everyone uses the same email they did when they registered.

He just needs to do a prune of old inactive accounts with like one post.

#5 Jatin

Jatin

Administrator

• Admin
  • 4,862 posts

Posted 28 July 2009 - 04:10 PM

@CommonSense
It's a good idea. I thinking of doing so.

#6 The Alpha Gamer

The Alpha Gamer

Active WinMatrixian

• 992 posts

Posted 28 July 2009 - 04:17 PM

I agree with the mass deletion, if people who want to stay get deleted, they can easily register again.

#7 fediaFedia

fediaFedia

Super WinMatrixian

• Elites
  • 2,539 posts

Posted 28 July 2009 - 04:21 PM

Well, I don't know about mass deletion of members, we have a lot of lurkers too. If this must be done the administrator should send a email asking to confirm membership within 30 days or so, that should be enough time.

Also we could remove all ex-spammers whose accounts are disabled indefinitely anyway.

#8 CommonSense

CommonSense

Super WinMatrixian

• 2,620 posts

Posted 28 July 2009 - 04:34 PM

Well, I don't know about mass deletion of members, we have a lot of lurkers too. If this must be done the administrator should send a email asking to confirm membership within 30 days or so, that should be enough time.

Also we could remove all ex-spammers whose accounts are disabled indefinitely anyway.

What about the banned accounts? Some of them did make contributing posts before their ban, so removing their account would remove their posts right?

#9 fediaFedia

fediaFedia

Super WinMatrixian

• Elites
  • 2,539 posts

Posted 28 July 2009 - 04:36 PM

What about the banned accounts? Some of them did make contributing posts before their ban, so removing their account would remove their posts right?

I never said banned accounts, only ex-spammer's.

#10 PurplePeopleEater

PurplePeopleEater

I'm an Android fanboy sue me

• 4,090 posts

Posted 28 July 2009 - 04:36 PM

This seems like a fair solution, good idea Jatin and Commonsense

#11 CommonSense

CommonSense

Super WinMatrixian

• 2,620 posts

Posted 28 July 2009 - 04:37 PM

I never said banned accounts, only ex-spammer's.

I know. I was talking about banned accounts. :lol:

#12 InlineSkate

InlineSkate

WinMatrix Addict

• 3,182 posts

Posted 28 July 2009 - 04:50 PM

What about the members no longer using their email they registered with I think were forgetting about that..

#13 PurplePeopleEater

PurplePeopleEater

I'm an Android fanboy sue me

• 4,090 posts

Posted 28 July 2009 - 04:58 PM

What about the members no longer using their email they registered with I think were forgetting about that..

Then we can assume they used a fake email to make the account, they just wanted to post once and really forget about the forums. So it's safe to assume they can care less.

#14 Jatin

Jatin

Administrator

• Admin
  • 4,862 posts

Posted 28 July 2009 - 05:13 PM

No, there posts won't be deleted but I think only members with 0 posts should be deleted who haven't logged in since last 6 months.

#15 The Alpha Gamer

The Alpha Gamer

Active WinMatrixian

• 992 posts

Posted 28 July 2009 - 05:42 PM

What about adding a big announcement on the front page aswell for the people who have changed email addresses?

#16 lareeth

lareeth

Super WinMatrixian

• 1,167 posts

Posted 28 July 2009 - 06:16 PM

I think allowing guests to post makes the forum look untidy and deleting old accounts will make it look even worse as the posts will still be there, surely your host gives you enough space for the database?

#17 Afzal

Afzal

Super WinMatrixian

• 1,668 posts

Posted 28 July 2009 - 06:38 PM

whatever u do, don't delete my account by mistake :P

its a good idea, this cleanup is necessary and nice move on the guests jatin

umm...lareeth, deleting accounts deletes their posts as well (atleast on vbulletin, it does)

Edited by Afzal, 28 July 2009 - 06:39 PM.

#18 lareeth

lareeth

Super WinMatrixian

• 1,167 posts

Posted 28 July 2009 - 07:34 PM

umm...lareeth, deleting accounts deletes their posts as well (atleast on vbulletin, it does)

That's even worse, other messages that are related to the posts that have been deleted wont make sense making the forum even more untidy

#19 CommonSense

CommonSense

Super WinMatrixian

• 2,620 posts

Posted 28 July 2009 - 07:35 PM

No, there posts won't be deleted but I think only members with 0 posts should be deleted who haven't logged in since last 6 months.

Yeah if they made 0 posts then why keep them? Or just 1 post and haven't logged in since registration. Be careful though, there are active members who haven't been on in a while. I agree with Lareeth, having posts from members who don't exist looks "untidy" and the guest accounts really don't help that situation.

#20 FalseAgent

FalseAgent

your average joe (tm)

• Elites
  • 6,694 posts

Posted 29 July 2009 - 01:28 AM

heheh, Winmatrix always had a problem with this. There's like a new member registering here every 5 minutes or something.

Want to comment?

Register or Sign In to go completely ad-free!