41 replies to this topic

#1 Villain

Villain

An Old Geek

• Global Moderator
  • 6,003 posts

Posted 18 July 2009 - 11:01 AM

Hackintosh: Seven days later

So, a week ago I got the idea in my head to try to take my old PC and use is as a “Hackintosh”, that is, a PC with Apple’s OS X installed on it. The legality is, well, not legal at all, but seeing as how it considered a good Geek Cred thing to do, that is, IF you can get OS X to install, and even run on your PC, then you get major geek points.

I had no real problem getting OSX 10.5.4 to install, in fact, it was almost painless in itself. I had to re-configure a few BIOS options a bit, but once that was done, then the install was pretty much smooth as silk.

I did have to look around the internet (At first on my XP machine, because my new Hackintosh had no internet connection), but with Google as my friend, i discovered the way to getting my ethernet port working in Mac , as how it was an actual supported hardware version.

So, once i get the Cat 5 cable stretched out and i simply rebooted the Hackintosh, the DHCP configured itself, and I had ‘net access. Cool :D

I did some more research by Google, and found out how to change my video resolution by a clever hack, and that most AirPort wireless cards are Broadcom biased, so with this knowledge in hand, I got my video resolution from 1027 by 768 to a wonderful 1280 by 1024... that is, more desktop space.

I liberated my Broadcom wireless card from the XP machine and put it in the Hackintosh, and upon first reboot, I had wireless working flawlessly, once I told the Mac what network to connect to.

So, by day three, I had most of the bugs ironed out. Only one major problem remained. No sound. And seeing as how Apple’s arguably most famous app is iTunes, I felt some what upset, but it is ok, i have my mp3 player (Not an iPod) for now.

As how wonderful the Mac experience is, after a day or two of no real hardware hacks were needed, a slow realization was dawning up on me.

I feel the need to point out that apple has one thing wonderfully right, yet horribly wrong at this point. Installing applications. Most of the time, it is done with a simple Drag and Drop to the Applications folder, then a File Copy progress dialog will show up, and Voila! It’s done.

Some times, it is in Apple’s .pkg format, and that is good, as how the installer walks you through hand in hand with installing the app.

Uninstalling an app, however, is a mixed case. Normally, uninstalling is as simple as dragging the offending app to the Trash, and then having the trash delete the offending app. Some times, however, If the app was installed with Apple’s .pkg system, an uninstaller comes with it, and that is good too.

However, almost all apps at some time make it’s own needed files, and I can promise you that those wiles will get left over, cluttering up the hard drive some where. This needs to be fixed.

Also, Macs have just enough software to get you going at first. No real additional “extras” were provided. That is, no included games, no real word processor, just iTunes.

So, with this knowledge in hand, I did what i do best. I Googled for free mac apps to fulfill my requirements.

It will be pointed out that I do have a Mac Guru friend, and that she has helped me out a bit with finding stuff and such with the Mac discovery process, so I owe a bit to her.

I discovered a web site with link to Open Source Mac softwares, and she pointed me to another website that has free softwares, two very good start off points.

The FreeMacWares.com website has lots of good apps and suggestions, I really do recommend that all Mac users go visit it every now and then. I found AbiWord there, a good Open Source word processor that has been ported to several different OSes (almost all of them, it seems).

Naturally Firefox was there, and it was an obvious download, even before I knew of the web sites, but it is good to see it listed there. Shiira is a good WebKit biased browser, for when I need an alternative browser.

The first review that I made was wrote in AbiWord, but it had some flaws that made me decide to ditch it. OpenSourceMac, however, led me to find Bean, a Cocoa biased word processor, that I am using to write this article in fact right now, and I am severely happy and impressed with it.

OpenSourceMac ( http://www.opensourcemac.org ) also let me to find Xee, a free, Open Image biased viewer that is faster than Apple’s Preview (for images only though), and Seashore, a Gimp biased image editor, native for the Mac. I already have the Gimp on the mac working fine, but another one wont hurt, while I look at the differences and compare the two, before I decide to toss one of the two off the hard drive and in to the Trash bin.

That leaves me to most of my Mac requirements done , with the exception of one. Games. Macs come with No Game. That is, as my Mac Guru pointed out, unless if you bought the original hardware. And I did not.

Seriously, what in the World is Apple thinking? No Games in Upgrades?

After searching for games one well, universal solution came to me. See if some one has ported Linux’s KDE4 to Mac.

And some one did. KDE4 is some what Mac like in it’s own right, meaning that it had widgets, a different file navigation system, etc... So it seems to be the perfect Add On to Mac.

Only problem is the Download size to get Everything KDE4 for mac. It is close to 2 Gigs.

This is where the Mac Guru friend comes in. I asked her to grab it for me, nicely of course, and hopefully she will. Anyhow, having used KDE4 in Linux before, I can see how KDE4’s apps and such would be a prefect Add on to Mac’s existing apps.

Now, of course, Apple would not want use using Amarok, KDE4’s media player, not KOffice, as how it would hurt sales of iLife, but on the whole, they would do well together.

So, after a week with the Hackintosh, here is what I have decided.

If your going to have OSX, Buy a Mac, that way, you can alleviate any and all hardware problems, plus you have the Genius Bar to help you out. I have been to the Apple Store a time or two with my Mac Guru, and it is always worth it, and it keeps the headaches down to a minimum.

If, however, you want a Mac just for the thrill or doing something for geek cred or simply because you cant afford a Real Mac, then I highly suggest looking in to the different pirate editions, checking the Hardware Compatibility List, finding the one distro that will work with your hardware, then go out and buy new hardware to replace whatever wont work off of the list at OSx86.

Once you get it done with, it seems to be worth it. I just wish that there was a better selection of mac apps and games.

Dont get me wrong, I love the Mac, i really do. I have just had some real problems getting some items to run. Case in point is a freeware game called Secret Maryo Chronicles, it is OpenSource, freeware, a Mario platform clone. I have played it on Linux and Windows, and for what it is, i like it.

However, getting it to run on OSX, even when it was compiled FOR OSX, was like pulling eye teeth. Impossible.

The only flaw that I have with the Mac OS is not even a product of the Os, nor even apple, just it’s community. Not enough Great apps. And if you DO find that one shining jewel in the sand, then the makes wants money for it. Obviously, the concept of Truly Freeware is lost on macs.

This is a hugely different Point in View from Linux, where everyone is like a good, nice Hippie biased community. That being, everyone shares, for free, no charge needed. Windows has so many apps for it, hell, Google enough and you will find one app that has been made at least 5 different times. Mac, however... Even thought Apple give away it’s developer to old for free (like Linux), to many apple people are out there to make money, not good apps.

What the Apple community needs is more people that believe in free, good software that is willing to write a great app or three, and then release it. for free.

They need people like me.

So will i be keeping the Hackintosh, and working on it on a daily basis? Yes. Even for it’s Communal shortcomings, it is still a solid OS to have and use.

Villian.

#2 Syzygy

Syzygy

Zing.

• 3,470 posts

Posted 18 July 2009 - 11:13 AM

https://www.blogger.com/start

#3 MistaBishi

MistaBishi

MSI and Apple Fanboy :D

• 622 posts

Posted 18 July 2009 - 12:18 PM

Nooo!! Villain is going to make Mac Apps now :( . Please say your still making Windows apps??

+ 1, make a blog Villain, I'll read it :D

#4 fediaFedia

fediaFedia

Super WinMatrixian

• Elites
  • 2,553 posts

Posted 18 July 2009 - 12:20 PM

+2
A blog would be a good idea, because usually I don't expect to read a long blog entry on a forum :P

#5 Syzygy

Syzygy

Zing.

• 3,470 posts

Posted 18 July 2009 - 12:32 PM

+2
A blog would be a good idea, because usually I don't expect to read a long blog entry on a forum :P

Or you can make ridiculously long twitters to update us every minute on what you're doing on OSX. :lol:

www.twitter.com

#6 MistaBishi

MistaBishi

• 622 posts

Posted 18 July 2009 - 12:43 PM

Or you can make ridiculously long twitters to update us every minute on what you're doing on OSX. :lol:

www.twitter.com

They're called tweets, and aren't they limited to a certain amount of characters?? :woot: :lol:

#7 dtack68

dtack68

^^^ Me and my girl, Rachel :) ^^^

• 470 posts

Posted 18 July 2009 - 12:56 PM

Yes, 140. But he can post a link on twitter to a long blog post! GENIUS!

#8 Vienna™

Vienna™

Viva la Vista

• 83 posts

Posted 18 July 2009 - 01:03 PM

Actually, I've found Villain's posts insanely helpful. Two days ago I was a diehard Windows fan. Now, inspired by these blogs to install Hackintosh, I think Im in love with Macs hahaha. Thanks dude, I appreciate all that you've (unknowingly) done for me :)

#9 CommonSense

CommonSense

Super WinMatrixian

• 2,620 posts

Posted 18 July 2009 - 01:33 PM

The only pain in the ass for me with Hackintosh is that I can't Combo Update. Even with the patched Combo Updates, it doesn't boot after the install. I could probably find a way around that (with Google)... maybe... eventually.

#10 dtack68

dtack68

• 470 posts

Posted 18 July 2009 - 01:55 PM

Actually, I've found Villain's posts insanely helpful. Two days ago I was a diehard Windows fan. Now, inspired by these blogs to install Hackintosh, I think Im in love with Macs hahaha. Thanks dude, I appreciate all that you've (unknowingly) done for me :)

OS 10 =/= Macs

#11 InlineSkate

InlineSkate

WinMatrix Addict

• 3,182 posts

Posted 18 July 2009 - 03:25 PM

www.twitter.com

They're called tweets, and aren't they limited to a certain amount of characters?? :woot: :lol:

And people who make them are called twits

#12 Villain

Villain

An Old Geek

• Global Moderator
  • 6,003 posts

Posted 18 July 2009 - 04:12 PM

actually i DO have a blog, several in fact. almost all of them lie dead. anyhow, i dont care for twitter, i find the idea silly to let the world know what your doing every moment of the day.

i have been debating making my own news / opinion blog though. yall have read my first two articles, tell me what you think, ok?

#13 CommonSense

CommonSense

Super WinMatrixian

• 2,620 posts

Posted 18 July 2009 - 04:14 PM

actually i DO have a blog, several in fact. almost all of them lie dead. anyhow, i dont care for twitter, i find the idea silly to let the world know what your doing every moment of the day.

i have been debating making my own news / opinion blog though. yall have read my first two articles, tell me what you think, ok?

I say yes. But you can't be lazy about it. I know it's a pain in the ass to update blogs and such (laziness), but you have great ideas. Go for it.

#14 dtack68

dtack68

• 470 posts

Posted 18 July 2009 - 04:20 PM

Pertaining to Twitter, you don't have to update everytime you do something. If you have a question, post it. If you are finding a really cool picture, post it. It has the same function as the Facebook status feature.

As for a blog, do it. If it dies, it dies. Just buy a domain name and use blogger. It is free to link blogger to your domain name, unlike wordpress. You can get rid of the top bar with a little coding in your html, and you can get awesome themes for them if you do a little google search. Make sure you keep one theme, because you widgets will disappear if you keep changing it.

Edited by dtack68, 18 July 2009 - 04:21 PM.

#15 FalseAgent

FalseAgent

your average joe (tm)

• Elites
  • 6,694 posts

Posted 18 July 2009 - 06:58 PM

ha! see what I told you guys? no one can ever switch officially to a mac completely.

However, almost all apps at some time make it’s own needed files, and I can promise you that those wiles will get left over, cluttering up the hard drive some where. This needs to be fixed.

this is one of Mac's biggest problems. They don't come with wizards the help you uninstall the app completely. There are installing/uninstalling wizards for mac, but only some apps have it, while others don't. This is a serious design flaw and inconsistency on Mac. Macs may not have DLL hell, but not being unable to uninstall a program completely leaves your hard drive just as cluttered as a DLL hell.

also, do check out https://www.blogger.com/start, it's great for documenting your experiences, such as this one.

Edited by FalseAgent, 18 July 2009 - 07:09 PM.

#16 PurplePeopleEater

PurplePeopleEater

I'm an Android fanboy sue me

• 4,090 posts

Posted 18 July 2009 - 07:07 PM

^
The majority of people I met using macs only use it for the web browser, IM and iTunes. They dont really install stuff that they will ever remove.

#17 FalseAgent

FalseAgent

your average joe (tm)

• Elites
  • 6,694 posts

Posted 18 July 2009 - 09:30 PM

^ that's still not a valid reason for not providing a user with a UI during a installation/uninstallation process.

#18 MistaBishi

MistaBishi

• 622 posts

Posted 18 July 2009 - 09:40 PM

Actually, you know what Villain? You've inspired me. I'm gonna install Hakintosh on my computer, give it another go. You never know, I might become the next yanike :P

#19 FalseAgent

FalseAgent

your average joe (tm)

• Elites
  • 6,694 posts

Posted 18 July 2009 - 09:45 PM

^ OSH-

but, it's okay. I respect yo decision. Macs are alright, but Apple just had to f**k it up over the years with their arrogance.

#20 dtack68

dtack68

• 470 posts

Posted 18 July 2009 - 10:01 PM

I wish I knew what would work for my computer. I tried and failed numerous amount of times, never would even install.

Want to comment?

Register or Sign In to go completely ad-free!