Posted 15 July 2009 - 02:34 PM

Now yanike has a supporter. :lol:

#22 Villain

Villain

An Old Geek

• Global Moderator
  • 6,003 posts

Posted 15 July 2009 - 03:05 PM

He is right! the PC OSX Experience IS different. I have used my friend's "Real" Mac plenty of times, but this just feels so much more Exciting.

I will attribute my Gnome user experience (I always set up the desktop and panels to be like OS X, with a dock also, so the swap over is a bit easier of a transition.

The RAM, BTW< was a different type than what i needed, so 512 it is, and the wireless card ran perfect first time (It says AirPort!), who knew for a cheap $30 broadcom wireless card? (Dynex, BTW.)

Still no sound, but hell, i will use my mp3 player!

*Joins Yanike on the PC OSX bandwagon*

#23 FalseAgent

FalseAgent

your average joe (tm)

• Elites
  • 6,694 posts

Posted 15 July 2009 - 03:38 PM

you'll jump out of the PC OSX bandwagon soon enough. Trust me.

also, yanike, please don't get the wrong idea! i'm not a PC fanboy! you'll see that in all of my arguments, I, to the best of my abilities, bring up both sides of the argument to make it fair, and not biased. You can still argue that i'm a PC fanboy, but you'd be wrong. I actually do have a Mac sitting right in my room.

I never said mac sucked, I just said it has untapped potential thanks to apple's arrogance. It's this stupidity of Apple's that i'm all out to prove. Other than that, Macs have always been good. It's just that Apple...

Edited by FalseAgent, 15 July 2009 - 04:00 PM.

#24 PurplePeopleEater

PurplePeopleEater

I'm an Android fanboy sue me

• 4,090 posts

Posted 15 July 2009 - 03:40 PM

Ends up Shapeshifter will not work with 10.5.x, so i found Magnifique, a free (Beer!) app. it is a whole theme manager! Dock, Icons, Window skins, Wallpaper, the who shebang, for free!

I lol'd I should put the comments I think of in parenthesis.

I am really happy and at home on the machine, like i have only been with Linux. but as much as I love and adore linux, this has the better UI. Everything is simple, and makes sense.

It just works. Very well, i might add.

Who knows, given a few days, i may just put the "new" XP machine in the closet, and be a Mac only type of guy. Start making Mac freeware, and iPhone apps.

I felt the same way about OSX when I installed my hackintosh (Kalyway 10.5.2) everything is commonsense (not you, the OS). It looks great and just has some appeal about it,
Consider this scenario:
"Hey nice computer,"
"Thanks its running Windows Vista"
"Ohh, cool"

"Hey nice computer"
"Thanks its running Mac OSX"
"Thats soo cool! Can I try it out?"

Now yanike has a supporter. :lol:

I'm invisible? :P

Edited by PurplePeopleEater, 15 July 2009 - 03:45 PM.

#25 Freka

Freka

Super WinMatrixian

• 2,758 posts

Posted 15 July 2009 - 04:07 PM

I love my Mac and the OS X on it. Got my Macbook Pro last week and I have been loving it so much. I still like Windows and I still use it, but its only for games. I've moved on from Windows to, my oppinion, a better OS and no regrets :).

Edited by Freka, 15 July 2009 - 05:22 PM.

#26 CommonSense

CommonSense

Super WinMatrixian

• 2,620 posts

Posted 15 July 2009 - 05:27 PM

I know I don't program, but I am learning. Can you program for Windows under Mac OS X, I know of Mono or is that the only choice?

And yeah Villain I agree with you about the OSx86 project. It's way better than a real Mac experience. It's more thrilling. But my laptop works almost flawlessly with iDeneb (thanks PurplePeopleEater). I think I might partition and get Mac up again, but I would rather have a dedicated computer to an OS than multi-booting.

@Villain: Was I one of the first people to IM you on your new Mac? :P

Edited by CommonSense, 15 July 2009 - 05:33 PM.

#27 Villain

Villain

An Old Geek

• Global Moderator
  • 6,003 posts

Posted 15 July 2009 - 07:57 PM

You were THE First man!

#28 CommonSense

CommonSense

Super WinMatrixian

• 2,620 posts

Posted 15 July 2009 - 08:02 PM

You were THE First man!

Awesome! :D

Did I find the answer to my question (Programming for Windows under Mac OS X)? Or are there more answers? :unsure:

#29 Villain

Villain

An Old Geek

• Global Moderator
  • 6,003 posts

Posted 15 July 2009 - 08:38 PM

i already have Mono installed, but Monodevelop is horribly alpha. there is another IDE out there, but i cant remember what it is called, but i am going to look for it.
I remembered what it is called. SharpDevelop.

#30 The Flashing Fish

The Flashing Fish

om nom nom nom

• 684 posts

Posted 15 July 2009 - 10:04 PM

Mac OSX is good....only when you first try it. Just like what Villain did. After a long period of time, you'll realize PCs are in fact better.

I disagree. I've had my Macbook Pro for 2 years, and I still love it. Tiger was nice, but I loved the changes Leopard brought. Stacks, Time Machine, webclip for Dashboard, and yes, some of the new eye candy (translucent menu bar and the 3D Dock). I use both Vista and Leopard about 50/50, and while after I graduate college, I may not buy another Apple laptop (or any laptop for that matter), I would probably consider a Mac Mini, depending on my situation.

You are of the opinion that Windows is better, and that is fine. But please avoid the word "fact" when talking about opinions. It doesn't add strength to what you're saying, it only makes me facepalm.

Me, personally, I feel that Windows and Mac OS X are different, with neither being worse or better than the other... I don't take part in fanboyism. I view an OS as a tool that allows me to accomplish certain tasks, and often times, it comes down to preference.

Hell, Apple is all about business and making money, instead of actually admitting and realizing the fact that open-source IS the future. There are many, many other reasons why i'd like to shun apple (such as their advertising practices), but i'll end it here.

Businesses are typically about business and making money. You're a pretty shitty business if you're not turning a profit.

And I don't know where you think that Apple needs to admit anything about open-source software. Your statements would be better directed at MS.

If anything, Apple has embraced open-source more than MS. Mac OS X's kernel? Open-Source. Yup. That's right. You can download the source code for the kernel.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darwin_(operating_system)

And we must not forget that Mac OS X can run X11, making it possible to run numerous Linux and Unix programs.

And Apple is much more receptive to open-standards, like Single UNIX Specification. Starting with Mac OS X Leopard, Mac OS X is Unix compliant. Any program that is programmed to meet Unix compliance should work without any problems on Leopard and above.

And I suppose it means nothing that Apple is a part of the Khronos Group, responsible for maintaining OpenGL. Apple has contributed towards OpenCL, which not only will be in Snow Leopard, but I see no reason why it can't be added to Windows, much like OpenGL. It would have to be provided through drivers, but with Intel, Nvidia and AMD in the group, I don't see that as being an issue.

If anything, MS has done very little to promote open-standards and open-specifications, because doing that would mean that programs that use MS's proprietary API can't work on Linux, Unix or Mac OS X, without a lot of blood, wine, sweet and tears, and even then compatibility with Wine is still mediocre. However, if MS supported open-standards and open-specifications, then that would mean that people wouldn't be locked into Windows, which would be very bad for MS.

Don't like IE8? go ahead, in win7, remove it!

Because MS did it out of the goodness of their hearts.... :rolleyes: Wait... They did it because their asses are in deep with the EU. :lol:

but most of their products end quality is crap compared to OSX.

Then why does the God damned wallpaper switcher in Mac OS X Leopard lag to f**king hell when it switches wallpapers!!!??? Jesus Christ, please tell my why the wallpaper switcher in Windows 7 on the same exact laptop works flawlessly, yet it it's like playing Crysis on a damn x486! :angry: It worked flawlessly in Mac OS X Tiger as well.

Yeah, it's a minor problem, but for a company that prides itself on details, drivers is one thing they seemingly always overlook...

Edited by The Flashing Fish, 15 July 2009 - 10:05 PM.

#31 yanike

yanike

I am YM. If you don't know me, you will.

• Global Moderator
  • 4,631 posts

Posted 15 July 2009 - 10:26 PM

Then why does the God damned wallpaper switcher in Mac OS X Leopard lag to f**king hell when it switches wallpapers!!!??? Jesus Christ, please tell my why the wallpaper switcher in Windows 7 on the same exact laptop works flawlessly, yet it it's like playing Crysis on a damn x486! :angry: It worked flawlessly in Mac OS X Tiger as well.

Yeah, it's a minor problem, but for a company that prides itself on details, drivers is one thing they seemingly always overlook...

??? On my Hackintosh, it switches fast.... Oh wait.. LOL.. I downgrade my Hackintosh to Tiger do to mouse glitches with Kalyway's Leopard. I know, a stupid reason to downgrade when everything else was working flawless, but for some reason I can't stand it. I will go back to Leopard with my new laptop though.

#32 The Flashing Fish

The Flashing Fish

om nom nom nom

• 684 posts

Posted 15 July 2009 - 10:45 PM

??? On my Hackintosh, it switches fast.... Oh wait.. LOL.. I downgrade my Hackintosh to Tiger do to mouse glitches with Kalyway's Leopard. I know, a stupid reason to downgrade when everything else was working flawless, but for some reason I can't stand it. I will go back to Leopard with my new laptop though.

Don't give me question marks. I'm using Apple software on official Apple hardware and their software doesn't f**king work properly. You said that Apple's product end quality is better than MS's, yet simple functionality that's worked great in Mac OS X Tiger, now does not work properly in Leopard, even after 7 updates. To make matters work, the Wallpaper Switcher has worked flawlessly on my MBP in Windows 7 all the way back to the Beta...

Apple's product end quality can be better than MS's, but it can also be worse, as in my case, and quite a few others out there.

Anyway, it's all because of Apple's shit drivers. I'm not the first person to have driver problems with Apple. Hell, people have reported getting better performance on newer Macbook Pros, with the 9400M and 9600M GT combo, on the 9400M in Mac OS X... The driver's just offer piss poor performance. Disabling the translucent menu bar and the 3D dock boosts performance significantly and allows the Wallpaper Switcher to work like it did in Tiger. However, you have to restart, or log out, the computer in order for Core Image to be disabled for the Menu Bar.

#33 henrydtv

henrydtv

Super WinMatrixian

• 1,111 posts

Posted 16 July 2009 - 12:17 AM

VILLIAN!!!! you of all people man!!!
we need you workin on a windows pc

#34 Laguna

Laguna

Active WinMatrixian

• 830 posts

Posted 16 July 2009 - 02:31 AM

I've given up with Hackintosh because of the wireless card. I couldn't get it working. I hope I can buy one BookPro soon. :D

#35 FalseAgent

FalseAgent

your average joe (tm)

• Elites
  • 6,694 posts

Posted 16 July 2009 - 02:51 AM

But please avoid the word "fact" when talking about opinions.

i'll take that into consideration, thanks for the pointers! :D

Businesses are typically about business and making money. You're a pretty shitty business if you're not turning a profit.

true...but I dunno. Apple seems to be more profit-driven than Microsoft, if you know what I mean. Microsoft's business looks like they're more service quality-driven.

Because MS did it out of the goodness of their hearts.... Wait... They did it because their asses are in deep with the EU.

Actually, MS doesn't have to do that at all. They can jolly well leave IE8 there. So yes, MS did it out of the goodness of their hearts. Apple doesn't get sued for bundling Safari (or pretty much anything else) with OSX, but Microsoft gets sued by third-parties for bundling their own software in their own OS. Villain even removed Safari from his hackintosh OSX because he didn't like it himself.

There is no other company in the world out there that has to work with crappy third-parties, and still get trashed by them. Seriously, give them Microsoft a break.

I think what yanike was trying to say is that, everything on Mac has a certain level of fit-and-polish that windows apps don't have. Everyone knows that's true. Mac's stuff always, always, ALWAYS are more polished and refined than windows's, even IF the product was lousy and had less features (like utorrent for mac). Its basically more form over function, like most of Apple's stuff. Some people like this, some people don't.

Microsoft recently have been working on polishing on their stuff too, but sadly, looks-wise, windows7 dissapoints. Office 2010 and Windows Live apps have their own polish and refinements also, but they'll never be as polished and refined as Apple's iWork or iLife suite.

Office 2008 for mac is crap, it's UI is all over the place. But even then, Office 2008 for mac has a nice polish to it, which makes it that much more usable.

i'm not sure if you guys get what I mean =/.

Edited by FalseAgent, 16 July 2009 - 02:52 AM.

#36 Villain

Villain

An Old Geek

• Global Moderator
  • 6,003 posts

Posted 16 July 2009 - 03:00 AM

VILLIAN!!!! you of all people man!!!
we need you workin on a windows pc

dont worry, the "new" 3Ghz PC is still sitting beside the desk on the floor, XP installed and all, working very well.

lol, i logged in to XP today (i left it running) to turn it off. have not been in XP at all.

I will start doing more XP items, just for things i cant do in OSX, say, vb6 and rip DVDs. (backup copies)

#37 coldemone

coldemone

Sleeping Winmatrixian

• 2,029 posts

Posted 16 July 2009 - 03:15 AM

go liberal anti-status quo people! YEAH! Let's turn winmatric into winmacnux! Let's divide the whole world in 3 parts equally!

But seriously, Macs are not that bad, except maybe they advertise it evilly.

#38 PimpPharaoh

PimpPharaoh

pwn0r

• 246 posts

Posted 16 July 2009 - 05:00 AM

i have a mac
the only 3 things i hate on it are
1) no games, well there are some but once again, u have a shitty graphics cards, unless u have the brand new macbooks
2) the mighty mouse, lol my scroll ball stopped workin
3) adium is an awesome IM agent, but no webcam or having a group chat unless someone invites you

but other than that its awesome

but windows 7 is awesome as well, well done microsoft
but still cant wait for snow leapord, unlike microsoft, apple's update is pretty cheap...so u dont have to resolve to other means of acquiring the OS, cough cough

#39 Syzygy

Syzygy

Zing.

• 3,470 posts

Posted 16 July 2009 - 05:19 AM

actually, as i said, i have used it before. i just now have the machine to dedicate to it.

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.

Damn you Yanike!

he had nothing to do with it.

I blame him for every person that converts to Mac.

FalseAgent, wow. I couldn't agree with you more.

I've use Mac before, and I liked it when i first started using it. It was nice, it was simple, it had eye candy. So I used it. But after a few weeks, I thought to myself. "What am I doing?" It just didn't feel right. I wasn't using Windows. I've grown up using Windows, and I can't live without it. So I went back to Windows.

You know what, that's exactly how I feel about Windows 7. I really don't know why the hell I even bothered downloading the RC. My place is stuck at vista unfortunately. Maybe I might change my mind when it comes to RTM :D

Edited by Syzygy, 16 July 2009 - 05:22 AM.

#40 MistaBishi

MistaBishi

MSI and Apple Fanboy :D

• 622 posts

Posted 16 July 2009 - 06:12 AM

actually, as i said, i have used it before. i just now have the machine to dedicate to it.

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.

Damn you Yanike!

he had nothing to do with it.

I blame him for every person that converts to Mac.

FalseAgent, wow. I couldn't agree with you more.

I've use Mac before, and I liked it when i first started using it. It was nice, it was simple, it had eye candy. So I used it. But after a few weeks, I thought to myself. "What am I doing?" It just didn't feel right. I wasn't using Windows. I've grown up using Windows, and I can't live without it. So I went back to Windows.

You know what, that's exactly how I feel about Windows 7. I really don't know why the hell I even bothered downloading the RC. My place is stuck at vista unfortunately. Maybe I might change my mind when it comes to RTM :D

Hopefully it will change. I liked Vista, but I LOVE Windows 7. I'm a bit disappointed, due to lack of changes.

Want to comment?

Register or Sign In to go completely ad-free!