50 replies to this topic

#1 Villain

Villain

An Old Geek

• Global Moderator
  • 6,003 posts

Posted 15 July 2009 - 04:56 AM

Three days with a Hackintosh.

So, I got a new (to me) PC from a family member. Nothing to swift, a 3Ghz processor, 1GB Ram, hdd, the usual, you know. It is an upgrade from my 2.4 Ghz machine with only 512 Ram (4 ram slots, 128Mb per slot).

"Cool" i remember thinking, "I can upgrade to XP on a better machine, or try Vista or, HEY, even get a hackintosh working on a better machine!"

Alas, It was not ment to be on the new machine. iAtkos 4.x failed on the new machine, miserably. No boot, nothing. "Ok, So XP it is" i remember thinking, for the new machine.

A few hours (2) later on, XP humming like a content kitten, on it's new machine, i looked at my old machine, a Dell dimension. I realized that I had the unique chance to FINALLY have a dedicated, 'Alternative' OS machine.

So I gave some tough to OS X again, seeing as how after i fiddled with the CMOS settings, it finally worked for me, but due to my love of Programming and Visual Basic 6, i could never have it as a primary OS.

"Hell", i remember thinking"why not?"

So roughly 2 hours (damn 512 mb Ram...) later on, i had a working OS X (10.5.4) machine. Granted, no sound, networking worked by wired only, and resolution was stuck at 1024x768, but hey! it worked!

I think i spent only 1 hours that day on the mac, the allure of a speedy machine was to much for me to resist, so off to XP i went again.

The next day, i hooked up the cat 5 to the router, and i was online! I did my normal fir network connections (used safari to get Firefox 3.5, then i got Shiira web browser (for WebKit reasons), then i promptly removed safari from the dock and so on... i hate all OS's included browsers.

I signed on to iChat, it was cool (AIM protocol only) and i did some research for drivers (.kexts) for my SB Live! soundcard. there has to be something...

So, i found something, and i even found some video mode resolution hacks that i will be trying out soon... cool.

After calling later on during the day to my local Mac guru, a female friend, (i had to swallow my pride on the phone call, let me tell you!) she told me to Dump iChat, get AdiumX. Ends up it is biased off of libPurple (Pidgin, AKA GAIM, they made that library), so i was happy. AIM, MSN, Yahoo, GTalk, Facebook, all in one. woot! I was connected again!

Then i remembered about the GMail notifier for mac, and i grabbed that too. Woot indeed!

Then, i found Neo Office (a bit of a big download, and to much of it for my paltry bandwidth), then i found a cocoa build of Abiword, Arguably Linux's 3rd best word processor. Woot x3!

I had to have graphics editing, and i knew all about the Gimp ... but there are different builds... what one to use? I played around, and i found the one that worked for me the best, so i was happy again.

I went to sleep happy, loving my new Hackintosh.

Waking up actually early the next day, i ignored windows totally.

So, i have my email checker, my IM manager, my word processor, graphics editor, only one thing was left before i was really happy.

An app that i could use to customize the OS.

Ends up Shapeshifter will not work with 10.5.x, so i found Magnifique, a free (Beer!) app. it is a whole theme manager! Dock, Icons, Window skins, Wallpaper, the who shebang, for free!

So What will i be doing for my 4th day on a Hackintosh?

How about gutting the new, fast, speedy XP machine for it's wireless card (broadcom, AKA Apple's Airport standard chipset) along with at least 1 512 stick of ram for the Hackintosh.

I am really happy and at home on the machine, like i have only been with Linux. but as much as I love and adore linux, this has the better UI. Everything is simple, and makes sense.

It just works. Very well, i might add.

Who knows, given a few days, i may just put the "new" XP machine in the closet, and be a Mac only type of guy. Start making Mac freeware, and iPhone apps.

#2 Vienna™

Vienna™

Viva la Vista

• 83 posts

Posted 15 July 2009 - 05:07 AM

And another Mac fanboy is born :(

#3 Villain

Villain

An Old Geek

• Global Moderator
  • 6,003 posts

Posted 15 July 2009 - 05:30 AM

actually i have always been one, since OS 7.5 OS 8 was the first one that supported multiple resolutions.

so yeah... i have been one, just i am finding it nice to be in a friendly environment. very calming.

#4 Syzygy

Syzygy

Zing.

• 3,470 posts

Posted 15 July 2009 - 05:40 AM

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.

Damn you Yanike!

#5 MaximusAxis

MaximusAxis

The Greatest Form of Complexity is Simplicity

• 484 posts

Posted 15 July 2009 - 05:40 AM

This is another reason why people shouldn't knock Macs until they try it. Look at the Villian Mod, instant converter. lol

#6 Villain

Villain

An Old Geek

• Global Moderator
  • 6,003 posts

Posted 15 July 2009 - 05:45 AM

actually, as i said, i have used it before. i just now have the machine to dedicate to it.

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.

Damn you Yanike!

he had nothing to do with it.

#7 MistaBishi

MistaBishi

MSI and Apple Fanboy :D

• 622 posts

Posted 15 July 2009 - 07:21 AM

I tried Mac, i can't stand it. Its too simple for me lol

#8 SharmanNet

SharmanNet

Super WinMatrixian

• 1,543 posts

Posted 15 July 2009 - 08:03 AM

Mac OS X isn't bad, it's just....not Windows. ^_^

When I started using Mac I missed my games, favorite apps, customization and WinMatrix. :lol:

#9 Lord Devrexster

Lord Devrexster

Hardcore Winmatrixcian

• 999 posts

Posted 15 July 2009 - 09:33 AM

iPhone apps make good money. One of my friends did a chat program and got f**king rich. But there is a "about-"$100 kit u need to buy first.

Have a go ...

#10 FalseAgent

FalseAgent

your average joe (tm)

• Elites
  • 6,694 posts

Posted 15 July 2009 - 09:55 AM

Mac OSX is good....only when you first try it. Just like what Villain did. After a long period of time, you'll realize PCs are in fact better.

Take it from someone who knows. I used to adore Macs.

When windowsXP was being trashed with viruses, I was so impressed with TigerOSX. It had iTunes, and I loved it all.

Then, Microsoft came up with windows vista. Apple had Leopard OSX. Windows Vista was a huge improvement over XP, but people shunned it. I liked windows vista alot. Leopard OSX wasn't much of a change from Tiger OSX, but it brought important and necessary changes, which made it a worthy competitor of vista, especially when vista was shunned for various valid reasons. Vista had Media Center, Photo Gallery, DVD maker, and such. Leopard had a slightly improved iTunes, and I...liked it all.

Microsoft is coming up with Windows 7. Apple came up with Snow Leopard OSX. Windows 7 offers a new user experience for anyone who uses it, and unlike vista, windows7 has a good reputation even before its been released. Windows 7 has a newer Media Center, a brand new WMP12, and such. Snow Leopard OSX doesn't seem to have any changes at all on the "surface", instead, Snow Leopard OSX only has under-the-hood changes, to make OSX run faster, according to Apple. However, speed has never been a problem with OSX. Apple should've instead worked on a new user-experience for their OSX users. Among the list, Snow Leopard doesn't include a new version of any of the apps. It has the exact same iTunes (which is available on Leopard AND windows), and...I hate it all.

So yeah, there you go. I used to like Macs alot, they have alot of potential. Too bad, Apple's arrogance got the better of the company, and their refusal to make a serious change to their platform is going to cause them their own fall. With Microsoft, I can't imagine a single moment where they actually stopped improving windows. And i'm talking about serious improvements here, not stuff like adding coverflow into safari.

You'll like macs only when you first start using it. You'll realize it's useless, and move back to windows (like me). This will be the case for everybody who discovers macs are good, until the day comes when Apple actually gets off their arrogant arses, and start working on OSX, to tap into it's potential, and star making serious improvements and changes to it, and not some shiny new expensive hardware to run it.

What's worse is that Google has announced it's own ChromeOS. And mind you, Google is a really, really, really good competitor. Google's announcement is a threat not only to Apple's OSX, but even to Windows. If Apple continues its arrogance and doesn't improve, strike three, they're out.

Hell, Apple is all about business and making money, instead of actually admitting and realizing the fact that open-source IS the future. There are many, many other reasons why i'd like to shun apple (such as their advertising practices), but i'll end it here.

Windows has been shaped to a point, where there is really nothing wrong with it. Anything that you don't like, you can get rid of. Don't like IE8? go ahead, in win7, remove it! There's nothing wrong with windows now, everything's been re-thought, and re-written, or as what apple would say, "re-everythinged". Don't you dare say Windows is slow, don't you dare say windows is full of viruses. That was then, this is now.

Edited by FalseAgent, 15 July 2009 - 10:24 AM.

#11 uch_haiden

uch_haiden

WinMatrixian

• 224 posts

Posted 15 July 2009 - 10:05 AM

Nice that you made yours perfectly. My hackintosh is still in some trouble, trying to figure things out. But yes, the moment you worked on your Mac, 90% chance you will like it.

What hackintosh are you using anyway? It might be better than what I got installed.

#12 MistaBishi

MistaBishi

MSI and Apple Fanboy :D

• 622 posts

Posted 15 July 2009 - 10:49 AM

FalseAgent, wow. I couldn't agree with you more.

I've use Mac before, and I liked it when i first started using it. It was nice, it was simple, it had eye candy. So I used it. But after a few weeks, I thought to myself. "What am I doing?" It just didn't feel right. I wasn't using Windows. I've grown up using Windows, and I can't live without it. So I went back to Windows.

But now Google have announced its ChromeOS. People are saying its going to be a serious competitor. If Apple want to keep in the market with their operating system, they're are going to have to make some drastic changes, otherwise its all over for them.

Windows is going to be the operating system I use for all my life. For me, it just works. Unlike other operating systems, which I've had to muck around with to try and get to work. Even if the ChromeOS overtakes Windows and Mac in the market share, I'm still always going to use Windows. For me, Windows is the best operating system. Always has been, always will be.

Windows Forever and Always.

Kinda hi-jacked your thread there Villain, my bad :P

#13 coldemone

coldemone

Sleeping Winmatrixian

• 2,029 posts

Posted 15 July 2009 - 10:54 AM

Macs appeal to novices, damnly rich people, and liberal anti-status quo people.

#14 USG Ishimura

USG Ishimura

Super WinMatrixian

• 1,787 posts

Posted 15 July 2009 - 11:26 AM

^^
+1
:rolleyes:

#15 FalseAgent

FalseAgent

your average joe (tm)

• Elites
  • 6,694 posts

Posted 15 July 2009 - 11:40 AM

yep, that's why people who start trying out macs go "OMG I USED MAC FOR 3 DAYS AND IT ROX MY SOX"

...and threads like these appear. But truth be told, 3 years down the road,

"OMG I USED MAC FOR 3 DAYS, IT WAS AWESOME, BUT I'VE BEEN USING WINDOWS FOR 3 YEARS AND I REALIZED IT CAN DO MOAR. I ARE NOT GOING BACK, NEVAR EVAR"

see the problem? Mac is good, it's great even. It just has untapped potential, for Apple has alot of arrogance to sell.

Edited by FalseAgent, 15 July 2009 - 11:42 AM.

#16 DeadWrong00

DeadWrong00

WinMatrixian

• 75 posts

Posted 15 July 2009 - 12:57 PM

Ok... I'll throw in my 2 cents on this one.

I had tried in vain to get any Hackintosh distro up and running on my old P4... Yanike tried to help, but it just wasn't meant to be. I built a new PC after I got my 4TB NAS online because I realized i didn't need a big tower, so I built a smaller form factor pooter with a Shuttle kit and a nice chip and 4gb of RAM.

Currently (after not too much, but some, work), I primarily use the iPC MaxOSX distro and have successfully updated to 10.5.7. I have all functionality, and I really do enjoy using the Mac. The machine is setup as a triple boot with Windows 7 RC, Ubuntu 9.04, and Mac 10.5.7. I find that while a lot of people say XX sucks and XX is better than XX... i like them all. I find that I use different OS's for different reasons. In the end, I use them all because I like to be well versed in the main OS's that the general public is using on a regular basis.

Do I miss having the same "tear it down to nothing and build it back" mentality that I had on XP as far as modding and such to prepare for my monthly Desktop Screenshot post? A little, but I find that most of the time, i was just trying to emulate a lot of Mac desktop/shell characteristics, and had to do so at the cost of processes running in the b/g. I generally like the look of Windows 7, so i haven't modded it at all, and Ubuntu as well.

I've changed icons, dock themes and a few other things on the Mac, but for the most part, its a wallpaper change and that's it for the month. I find that I spend my time now doing things that might be better to my overall development at this point like writing scripts and such.

#17 Villain

Villain

An Old Geek

• Global Moderator
  • 6,003 posts

Posted 15 July 2009 - 02:09 PM

Nice that you made yours perfectly. My hackintosh is still in some trouble, trying to figure things out. But yes, the moment you worked on your Mac, 90% chance you will like it.

What hackintosh are you using anyway? It might be better than what I got installed.

all i remember is that it is the iAtkos that was released a year ago, version 4.something.

i did some looking up, ands up my Dell dimension was a perfect Mac clone, save for the not-working PS2 interfaces. But that is what we have USB Mice and keyboards for, right?

oh! and i edited (read up on it first) com.apple.boot.plist, and added the key and string that resizes my resolution to 1280x1024x32 bits... so now al i have to do is get my sound blaster live working, and gut the Pc for it's wireless card...

#18 hab

hab

Active WinMatrixian

• 996 posts

Posted 15 July 2009 - 02:17 PM

Well I hope this doesn't turn out into another Mac vs PC fight but it really matters what you do. Personally I have no use for a Mac as I'm not a big mulimedia guy and my bro has a Mac and it DOES crash and it's a b*tch to turn off.

#19 Villain

Villain

An Old Geek

• Global Moderator
  • 6,003 posts

Posted 15 July 2009 - 02:26 PM

yeah, i have crashed the desktop, but i now know what NOT to do, so it is ok.

getting sound working is my now priority, but i think i will gut the Pc now and see if i can speed it up, and get wireless working.

#20 yanike

yanike

I am YM. If you don't know me, you will.

• Global Moderator
  • 4,631 posts

Posted 15 July 2009 - 02:28 PM

WOW! Welcome Villain :)

Mac OSX is great :)

I just knew somewhere in this post I would read a Windows fanboy comment. Mac OSX is what you make it. The same goes with Windows. People from Windows usually go back because they can't get used to a different OS. They try their best to make it like Windows and they can't... Thank Goodness :)

Both OSes are great now and both have their strong points. Microsoft has been stepping it up and adding more apps of their own, but most of their products end quality is crap compared to OSX. Even their Microsoft products for OSX are better than the Windows ones. Disagree if you want, but you know more Apple products give you a better end result than Microsoft's products.

I will say the OSX PC experience is different than the OSX Mac experience.

As far as the iPhone Apps go, if you do things right, there's a lot of GOOD money that you can make.

Want to comment?

Register or Sign In to go completely ad-free!