Photo
- - - - -

What's the Best OS for Netbook?

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

Poll: OS for Netbook (54 member(s) have cast votes)

What OS do you prefer for Linux?

1. Windows XP (7 votes [13.46%])

Percentage of vote: 13.46%

2. Windows 7 (27 votes [51.92%])

Percentage of vote: 51.92%

3. Linux Desktop Editions (Ubuntu, Fedora, etc.) (3 votes [5.77%])

Percentage of vote: 5.77%

4. Linux Netbook Editions (Ubuntu Remix, Moblin, Linpus Lite, etc.) (15 votes [28.85%])

Percentage of vote: 28.85%

5. Other? (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

Vote Please sign in to vote.

#21 Borix

Borix

Active WinMatrixian

• 823 posts

Posted 10 September 2009 - 01:14 PM

Triple Boot Hackingtosh Kalyway OS X + Windows 7 RC + Ubuntu Netbook Remix 9.04

Hehe, that would be my choice too! :)

#22 ViViDboarder

ViViDboarder

WinMatrixian

• 115 posts

Posted 10 September 2009 - 01:33 PM

Ubuntu is a full featured OS too! :P

Windows 7 uses more resources than Ubuntu. But Windows 7 can run on 1GB of RAM, and a low-level graphics chipset, so either way you can't lose.

Although I think the point that was being made is you'd be overpaying for a glorified web-browser. :D

With Ubuntu you're not going to be paying anything. I don't think Firefox in Win7 is going to run any better than Firefox in EasyPeasy or Ubuntu NBR :P

#23 CommonSense

CommonSense

Super WinMatrixian

• 2,620 posts

Posted 10 September 2009 - 01:50 PM

Windows 7 uses more resources than Ubuntu. But Windows 7 can run on 1GB of RAM, and a low-level graphics chipset, so either way you can't lose.

Although I think the point that was being made is you'd be overpaying for a glorified web-browser. :D

With Ubuntu you're not going to be paying anything. I don't think Firefox in Win7 is going to run any better than Firefox in EasyPeasy or Ubuntu NBR :P

Hehe yeah I know.

I would use Linux on a netbook over Windows personally (cheaper). Most people would use Windows though because they wouldn't know HOW to install even the simplest application (I've read a funny article about a girl trying to install MS Office on a netbook running Ubuntu), unless a Linux friend told them. The Netbook versions look really great, especially Moblin and Jolicloud. I think I'm going to have to give them a try. :D

#24 Frylock86

Frylock86

WinMatrixian 1337

• 3,075 posts

Posted 10 September 2009 - 03:20 PM

Hehe yeah I know.

I would use Linux on a netbook over Windows personally (cheaper). Most people would use Windows though because they wouldn't know HOW to install even the simplest application (I've read a funny article about a girl trying to install MS Office on a netbook running Ubuntu), unless a Linux friend told them. The Netbook versions look really great, especially Moblin and Jolicloud. I think I'm going to have to give them a try. :D

Do you have a link to that article?

#25 CommonSense

CommonSense

Super WinMatrixian

• 2,620 posts

Posted 10 September 2009 - 03:56 PM

Hehe yeah I know.

Do you have a link to that article?

WKOW TV via NeoWin

In a nutshell, she bought a notebook from Dell running Ubuntu and not Windows. The Dell technician said that college student love Ubuntu and that she doesn't need to worry about it. However, she was unable to install her Verizon High-Speed Internet using their CD, or MS Office. So she had to drop out of her online courses.

#26 ViViDboarder

ViViDboarder

WinMatrixian

• 115 posts

Posted 10 September 2009 - 04:32 PM

WKOW TV via NeoWin

In a nutshell, she bought a notebook from Dell running Ubuntu and not Windows. The Dell technician said that college student love Ubuntu and that she doesn't need to worry about it. However, she was unable to install her Verizon High-Speed Internet using their CD, or MS Office. So she had to drop out of her online courses.

Hahahaha! I rememember that one. :D That's pretty stupid. I wonder what she was thinking. She should have callen Verizon and had them tell her how to set up the internet and then she should have looked around on her system and seen that it probably came with OpenOffice.org or something. :D

EDIT: Just re-read the article. Her laptop DID have OOo and Verizon IS compatible with Ubuntu (I knew that because I have Ubuntu and FiOS). I wonder how her online course is going considering she couldn't figure out how to use a phone and actually call anyone to help her. Glad she made such a big deal out of it. :D

Edited by ViViDboarder, 10 September 2009 - 04:38 PM.

#27 Ace Starr

Ace Starr

the winmatrix addict

• 289 posts

Posted 10 September 2009 - 05:37 PM

Lets look at this from a logical point of view.

1) Can a netbook offer you gaming performance? Would you really want to run something like GTA San Andreas on a netbook?

2) Any Windows installation, unfortunately, has to be followed by an antivirus installation. And also a firewall, and an antispyware for a good measure on top. All that overhead leaves very little room for your apps.

3) I don't think any serious designer/gamer/programmer would prefer a netbook as their primary gadget. But a blogger will.

Considering above, I don't think Windows is the right way about it. Sure you can install Se7en and might even squeeze out quite a good performance but the way I see it, windows today carries on, only because all the apps and games that have been developed for it all this a long will have to be redone if it doesn't. A netbook is quite underpowered to be used for modern games, and games that can run smoothly in a netbook, might just be already supported by wine. So its mostly pointless to install Windows on it. And please don't give me the reason that hardware might not be supported. If an OEM wanted to base their machine on linux, they jolly well can.

I know that some of my friends hate ubuntu, just because of all the hype surrounding it. But they made the switch to debian instead of Seven. These recent OSes based on ubuntu such as Netbook remix and Jolicloud do give us something to play with, as we have grown bored on that same brown ubuntu.

#28 ViViDboarder

ViViDboarder

WinMatrixian

• 115 posts

Posted 10 September 2009 - 05:59 PM

Lets look at this from a logical point of view.

1) Can a netbook offer you gaming performance? Would you really want to run something like GTA San Andreas on a netbook?

2) Any Windows installation, unfortunately, has to be followed by an antivirus installation. And also a firewall, and an antispyware for a good measure on top. All that overhead leaves very little room for your apps.

3) I don't think any serious designer/gamer/programmer would prefer a netbook as their primary gadget. But a blogger will.

Considering above, I don't think Windows is the right way about it. Sure you can install Se7en and might even squeeze out quite a good performance but the way I see it, windows today carries on, only because all the apps and games that have been developed for it all this a long will have to be redone if it doesn't. A netbook is quite underpowered to be used for modern games, and games that can run smoothly in a netbook, might just be already supported by wine. So its mostly pointless to install Windows on it. And please don't give me the reason that hardware might not be supported. If an OEM wanted to base their machine on linux, they jolly well can.

I know that some of my friends hate ubuntu, just because of all the hype surrounding it. But they made the switch to debian instead of Seven. These recent OSes based on ubuntu such as Netbook remix and Jolicloud do give us something to play with, as we have grown bored on that same brown ubuntu.

Well spoken. :D I usually don't even like to run a VS in Windows. It's so slow... I've also only seen it go off and find something ONCE for the years I did use one. I guess I'm just good at avoiding them. I just run a check every so often to make sure I'm still clean.

#29 CommonSense

CommonSense

Super WinMatrixian

• 2,620 posts

Posted 10 September 2009 - 06:17 PM

Do you mean AV? :lol:

Yeah I don't run AV. I think it's very stupid of me that I don't run one. But if you know what you download, what websites you go on, then you most likely won't get a virus or spyware. So I take my chances.

#30 yanike

yanike

I am YM. If you don't know me, you will.

• Global Moderator
  • 4,631 posts

Posted 10 September 2009 - 06:37 PM

Windows7 will be the choice for any netbook or notebook.

#31 ViViDboarder

ViViDboarder

WinMatrixian

• 115 posts

Posted 10 September 2009 - 06:56 PM

Do you mean AV? :lol:

Yeah I don't run AV. I think it's very stupid of me that I don't run one. But if you know what you download, what websites you go on, then you most likely won't get a virus or spyware. So I take my chances.

I meant VS as Virus Scan... But I suppose Anti Virus is more correct. :P

Would you care to share why you formed that opinion? I may agree that Win7 is a serious contender for a notebook (I'd probably go with a full Linux OS if not for it already having OSX ;) ) but I don't understand paying a couple hundred dollars for a web browser and a word processor... I guess you have no problem with that. :D

#32 PurplePeopleEater

PurplePeopleEater

I'm an Android fanboy sue me

• 4,090 posts

Posted 10 September 2009 - 06:56 PM

Windows 7 or Kalyway 1.5.7

#33 ViViDboarder

ViViDboarder

WinMatrixian

• 115 posts

Posted 10 September 2009 - 07:13 PM

Ok... So I'd never seen Jolicloud or Moblin before actually... I just figured they were basically Ubuntu NBR clones. Wow. They look really cool. Great concepts. I can't wait to get home and test them out on my netbook :D

#34 yanike

yanike

I am YM. If you don't know me, you will.

• Global Moderator
  • 4,631 posts

Posted 10 September 2009 - 07:29 PM

Would you care to share why you formed that opinion? I may agree that Win7 is a serious contender for a notebook (I'd probably go with a full Linux OS if not for it already having OSX ;) ) but I don't understand paying a couple hundred dollars for a web browser and a word processor... I guess you have no problem with that. :D

The reason I chose Windows 7 is because that's the only thing I put on computers I fix now. Unless the computer is real old or doesn't have much memory, then Xubuntu or maybe XP will be a good choice.

The other reason is because on all the computers I fix that came with XP and others, Windows 7 out performed linux, windows xp and windows vista. Even people that want me to install hackintosh on their new laptops, one recently was a dell studio, I recommended Windows 7 instead. Mainly because hackintosh is very risky and with one minor change to the system or accidental upgrade, you can lose everything.

Also, with Windows, you can just about install any linux within it. Some netbooks don't hold that much memory, so why install an OS that will only do so much without Windows or isn't completely compatible.

Like now I'm looking at a Fujitsu Lifebook, lol never seen this laptop before, and I will be checking the wifi hardware and then cleaning it and installing Windows 7 on it.

Edited by yanike, 10 September 2009 - 07:35 PM.

#35 supr2nr

supr2nr

New WinMatrixian

• 11 posts

Posted 10 September 2009 - 08:10 PM

Just a question, do you think this could run OS X anybody?

The amount of time a typical person would take to figure out how to get OSX to run natively on it with no issues Windows 7 could have been installed and running circles around OSX.

I'm sorry hackintosh's are nice (I run one on my personal laptop) but a typical computer user would never be able to figure out how to figure out the correct patches, kexts, etc. to install.

#36 M!W

M!W

Active WinMatrixian

• 306 posts

Posted 10 September 2009 - 08:28 PM

I run Ubuntu Netbook Remix 9.10 Alpha 5 on my Netbook and it runs stable as hell (which really surprised me :D )
But seriously, what votes are you expecting on a Windows board? Ask the same question on a Linux board and you will get the complete oposite result. The best idea would be to ask on a neutral board.

#37 Linda V

Linda V

OHLOOKIEME.

• 212 posts

Posted 10 September 2009 - 09:32 PM

Moblin looks damn sexy and Joli looks pretty delicious too.

I'm going to test them on my little brother's netbook :)!

#38 NotoriouS-GrafiX

NotoriouS-GrafiX

The NotoriouS One

• 49 posts

Posted 12 September 2009 - 02:55 PM

LOL when you don't wanna test it on your own, go for the little brothers PC!!! lol jk

But anyways, has anyone ever tried running Windows 7 with 1 GB of RAM? Seeing as that is pretty much all netbooks have, I don't know if Seven would go so smoothly.

P.S. Just curious if anyone thinks you could run Vista with less than 1 GB of RAM, maybe I will boot up my old PC and try to get it running.

#39 Airflow

Airflow

wolfriA

• 796 posts

Posted 12 September 2009 - 03:20 PM

LOL when you don't wanna test it on your own, go for the little brothers PC!!! lol jk

But anyways, has anyone ever tried running Windows 7 with 1 GB of RAM? Seeing as that is pretty much all netbooks have, I don't know if Seven would go so smoothly.

P.S. Just curious if anyone thinks you could run Vista with less than 1 GB of RAM, maybe I will boot up my old PC and try to get it running.

Oh, I did. My mom uses a netbook, and hers has 1 GB RAM, and she was using Windows 7 easily.

Vista with less than 1 GB RAM.. well.. that's a different story.. I'm not so sure but you can try and tell us!

#40 CommonSense

CommonSense

Super WinMatrixian

• 2,620 posts

Posted 12 September 2009 - 03:40 PM

I've ran Windows 7 on 1GB of RAM since Beta. I've ran Vista with 1GB of RAM since I got my notebook. I just got more RAM, so now I have 2GB and there really is a noticeable difference. Vista with less than 1GB, you can do it, but it won't be smooth.

Want to comment?

Register or Sign In to go completely ad-free!