38 replies to this topic

#1 Johnny Alex

Johnny Alex

New WinMatrixian

• 44 posts

Posted 01 July 2009 - 05:52 AM

Posted Image

Introducing Style Jukebox (Alpha 3)

Hello. I promised you a long time ago I will come back with a new media player. I worked very hard and now I can publish the first test version the application: Alpha 3.

Style Jukebox Alpha 3 version supports streaming and playing major audio and playlists formats like MP3, APE, FLAC, AAC, PLS, M3U, etc. Features like Auto Playlist, Folder Watch, Smart Remove and External Search makes access to your media files easier and faster so that you can listen music in a more enjoyable way. All this functionalities are available under an user interface that is easy to use and elegant.

Hope you like it! :unsure: I'm looking forward for your feedback!
Thanks!
Download Style Jukebox

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#2 Club17

Club17

Xradical

• 90 posts

Posted 01 July 2009 - 05:55 AM

Thxxx! Have equalizer?

#3 Secured Tim

Secured Tim

Call me Tim

• 2,085 posts

Posted 01 July 2009 - 05:55 AM

It looks good. :)

#4 Johnny Alex

Johnny Alex

New WinMatrixian

• 44 posts

Posted 01 July 2009 - 05:58 AM

Thxxx! Have equalizer?

I'm still working on an equalizer. I want to make a very good equalizer because it is an important part of a media player. I'm looking forward to integrate the equalizer in the next test version of Style Jukebox.

#5 Club17

Club17

Xradical

• 90 posts

Posted 01 July 2009 - 06:06 AM

Thxxx! Have equalizer?

I'm still working on an equalizer. I want to make a very good equalizer because it is an important part of a media player. I'm looking forward to integrate the equalizer in the next test version of Style Jukebox.

Thank you. Mmm, look also for compatibility for last.fm integration :) And will perfect for me :) (and for much people).

#6 Lord Devrexster

Lord Devrexster

Hardcore Winmatrixcian

• 999 posts

Posted 01 July 2009 - 11:32 AM

Yep looks good (Y)

#7 Preath

Preath

Elite WinMatrixian.

• 2,352 posts

Posted 01 July 2009 - 12:30 PM

Awesome application =) Looking forward to the final results =D

Btw, could you do something like.. in the playlist.. show the folders so you know where all the files are coming from, i hate to have all the songs in one very long playlist. =)

Edited by Emil2k, 01 July 2009 - 12:33 PM.

#8 Johnny Alex

Johnny Alex

New WinMatrixian

• 44 posts

Posted 01 July 2009 - 12:50 PM

Awesome application =) Looking forward to the final results =D

Btw, could you do something like.. in the playlist.. show the folders so you know where all the files are coming from, i hate to have all the songs in one very long playlist. =)

I can make this an AutoPlaylist option so that an autoplaylist contains files only from specific folders (including autoupdate the playlist when new files are added to that folder)

#9 Skrell

Skrell

New WinMatrixian

• 45 posts

Posted 01 July 2009 - 01:07 PM

so far i really like what i'm seeing!

#10 FalseAgent

FalseAgent

your average joe (tm)

• Elites
  • 6,694 posts

Posted 01 July 2009 - 01:43 PM

Pretty!
EDIT: I just tried it. IT. IS. AWESOME!!! YOU TOTALLY PWN!

seriously, this is surely THE running replacement for a free Media Center on your PC. All you guys should check it out!

But. One complaint. Why rip off Apple's old frontrow UI? :P

Edited by FalseAgent, 01 July 2009 - 02:00 PM.

#11 Johnny Alex

Johnny Alex

New WinMatrixian

• 44 posts

Posted 01 July 2009 - 06:16 PM

Because I liked very much and it was to me like a test to see if I can make something like this in WPF. It turned out I can, and it is very important to me so I didn't delete or replace it. I think it is very beautiful and while I don't find a better replace I will keep the old FrontRow UI

I'm developing alone the media player so is very hard for me to find always new things. I have some really cool new features in Style Jukebox and I'm trying to make it the best media player. Not the perfect. So I published it hopping that I will receive feedback so that I can improve it.

If you want to be a closer tester please send me an email at johnny@stylejukebox.com . I need closer testers.

Thanks you very much for your feedback! I will not stop improving Style Jukebox and add new features. Have a nice day!

#12 PurplePeopleEater

PurplePeopleEater

I'm an Android fanboy sue me

• 4,090 posts

Posted 01 July 2009 - 06:23 PM

I cant access the preferences menu, I dont mind since this is still in development.

I love the animations, like the play pause animation
I'm loving the looks of the media player, you should offer media server capabilities, and ipod sync then I will drop itunes for you

Edited by PurplePeopleEater, 01 July 2009 - 06:32 PM.

#13 Johnny Alex

Johnny Alex

New WinMatrixian

• 44 posts

Posted 01 July 2009 - 06:35 PM

I cant access the preferences menu, I dont mind since this is still in development.

I love the animations, like the play pause animation
I'm loving the looks of the media player, you should offer media server capabilities, and ipod sync then I will drop itunes for you

Only Library is available. To change Skins right click the system tray icon "S". I menu will appear from which you can change skins or settings.

Edited by Johnny Alex, 01 July 2009 - 06:36 PM.

#14 InlineSkate

InlineSkate

WinMatrix Addict

• 3,182 posts

Posted 01 July 2009 - 06:43 PM

Add multi-touch support for that equalizer for Windows 7?

#15 Johnny Alex

Johnny Alex

New WinMatrixian

• 44 posts

Posted 01 July 2009 - 06:46 PM

Add multi-touch support for that equalizer for Windows 7?

Microsoft just released a set of tools for .NET developers to use Windows 7 features. Style Jukebox will use most of Win7 features. But first I want to think some very useful ways to use the features.

#16 Villain

Villain

An Old Geek

• Global Moderator
  • 6,003 posts

Posted 01 July 2009 - 07:20 PM

While it looks very nice and you are getting good reviews, i dont see why you used .net 3.5 sp1. i dont have that, and i would have to download over 200MB just for your media player?

Can you try re-writing it, or atleast revising it, to use .net 2, seeing as how that comes with vista?

i have the latest visual studio, so i have all of the .nets, except for 3.1sp1. is there a specific function that that one has that you must depend on, or is it just the one that you selected when you started the project?

i just cant justify downloading over 200MB just for a media player and for a lot of people, that would be what keeps them from downloading and using your player.

#17 Johnny Alex

Johnny Alex

New WinMatrixian

• 44 posts

Posted 01 July 2009 - 07:43 PM

While it looks very nice and you are getting good reviews, i dont see why you used .net 3.5 sp1. i dont have that, and i would have to download over 200MB just for your media player?

Can you try re-writing it, or atleast revising it, to use .net 2, seeing as how that comes with vista?

i have the latest visual studio, so i have all of the .nets, except for 3.1sp1. is there a specific function that that one has that you must depend on, or is it just the one that you selected when you started the project?

i just cant justify downloading over 200MB just for a media player and for a lot of people, that would be what keeps them from downloading and using your player.

You're right. Choosing .NET was a difficult decision to take. But I didn't had any other options. I'm developing Style Jukebox alone. For the user interface I used Windows Presentation Foundation (that was introduced in .NET 3.0 - integrated in Windows Vista). I start developing Jukebox for .NET 3. But then Microsoft launched .NET 3.5 Service Pack 1. This latest version of .NET introduced a lot of optimizations for WPF and code. So using 3.5 SP1 Jukebox will run faster and look better (by using Hardware to render some visual elements, which is very important for the smooth animations). Style Jukebox will install latest .NET at setup. This is very important. The complete package has 200 MB, but Style Jukebox installs only the parts that you don't have for your platform: x86/x64, so the download size decreases to 40-50 MB, which is still a lot.
This year Microsoft will release Windows 7 with .NET 3.5 Service Pack 1 integrated - so fine with this users. I, as a developer, hope that most users will upgrade to Win7. To reason is simple: .NET 3.5 Sp1 integrated

All I can promise is that I will make Style Jukebox a better media player and make installation of .NET 3.5 SP1 for Windows Vista/XP users easier to use and fast (but the last part isn't really in my hands). Style Jukebox is a free application, .NET too. I just hope Style Jukebox is good enough to deserve a 5-10 minutes for a .NET installation.

Edited by Johnny Alex, 01 July 2009 - 07:46 PM.

#18 FalseAgent

FalseAgent

your average joe (tm)

• Elites
  • 6,694 posts

Posted 01 July 2009 - 07:49 PM

Because I liked very much and it was to me like a test to see if I can make something like this in WPF. It turned out I can, and it is very important to me so I didn't delete or replace it. I think it is very beautiful and while I don't find a better replace I will keep the old FrontRow UI

I'm developing alone the media player so is very hard for me to find always new things. I have some really cool new features in Style Jukebox and I'm trying to make it the best media player. Not the perfect. So I published it hopping that I will receive feedback so that I can improve it.

If you want to be a closer tester please send me an email at johnny@stylejukebox.com . I need closer testers.

Thanks you very much for your feedback! I will not stop improving Style Jukebox and add new features. Have a nice day!

Straight off the hat, i'll say that I love the way the album art animates. It's gorgeous! About the frontrow UI, eh. I don't mind it either. I don't know if i'm asking for too much, but do try to replace it as much as possible to make it more original as it's your own app.

another piece of feedback; try to offer different types of library views & sorting options. Personally, i'm thinking of a more graphical view for the library, instead of the plain database-type view which the current library offers...

here's what I mean:
Posted Image

also, it would be nice if the now playing notifications were made prettier.
oh, and finally, make the minimize/maximize/close buttons less intrusive. If possible, you can hide it altogether, and make it reappear over a mouseover event.

Edited by FalseAgent, 01 July 2009 - 07:57 PM.

#19 Johnny Alex

Johnny Alex

New WinMatrixian

• 44 posts

Posted 01 July 2009 - 08:06 PM

Straight off the hat, i'll say that I love the way the album art animates. It's gorgeous! About the frontrow UI, eh. I don't mind it either. I don't know if i'm asking for too much, but do try to replace it as much as possible to make it more original as it's your own app.

another piece of feedback; try to offer different types of library views & sorting options. Personally, i'm thinking of a more graphical view for the library, instead of the plain database-type view which the current library offers...

here's what I mean:

also, it would be nice if the now playing notifications were made prettier.
oh, and finally, make the minimize/maximize/close buttons less intrusive. If possible, you can hide it altogether, and make it reappear over a mouseover event.

I'm working very hard to deliver a 3D view of Library. An item in the library will look something like this: 3d object for album art, details like title,album. And when you click an item (if it's album, folder) will create a fade effect to another list of items (songs). It will be arranged in a Wrap Panel (not a list) - one after another on horizontally and vertically. Right know i'm thinking how to make this 3d view not only beautiful but very useful.

It will be available in the next preview version: Alpha 4 - I plan to release it in August. Thank you for your interest and your suggestions.

#20 CommonSense

CommonSense

Super WinMatrixian

• 2,620 posts

Posted 01 July 2009 - 08:10 PM

I'm not sure if this has been asked or already implemented, but is there iPod support?

Want to comment?

Register or Sign In to go completely ad-free!