Changing the Windows 7 start button

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 maxpay

maxpay

WinMatrixian

• 66 posts

Posted 16 June 2009 - 09:37 PM

How and could someone make a windows 7 version of the standby symbol on the left. The black Windows symbol on the right is for Windows 7 & the standby symbol on the left is for Windows Vista. I would like a version of the standby symbol on the left for Windows 7. How could I do this or could anyone do it for me?

Thanks for the help... :) :D
Attached File  471.png   20.55K   80 downloads Attached File  68011.png   6.38K   166 downloads

#2 Frylock86

Frylock86

WinMatrixian 1337

• 3,057 posts

Posted 17 June 2009 - 02:33 AM

That one on the right... Where did you find it?

That would be an awesome Windows 7 orb replacement!

#3 PurplePeopleEater

PurplePeopleEater

I'm an Android fanboy sue me

• 4,090 posts

Posted 17 June 2009 - 02:34 AM

Yea I love the one on the right, I think it's from the steel flash theme or one of the vista longhorn themes

#4 kyosan

kyosan

Active WinMatrixian

• 770 posts

Posted 17 June 2009 - 02:54 AM

Use Restoratork

Restorator -> File -> open " Ctrl+0" ->find explorer.exe

explorer.exe -> Bitmap -> replace PNG 6801 , 6805 , 6809 > Assingn..-> Assign To > save

Use TakeOwnerShip to replace explorer.exe

More Orb:

http://www.mediafire...php?dwmdxmmmwdj

http://windowsvn.net...ead.php?t=14586

Edited by kyosan, 17 June 2009 - 02:59 AM.

#5 SharmanNet

SharmanNet

Super WinMatrixian

• 1,543 posts

Posted 17 June 2009 - 08:00 AM

Wow, thanks kyosan :)

#6 maxpay

maxpay

WinMatrixian

• 66 posts

Posted 17 June 2009 - 09:25 PM

I picked it up on the Deviant Art web site under customization then visual styles then vista themes. I am trying to make the one on the left the start button for a visual style.

I am a newbee to modding... :(

Thanks for the help everyone... :D

#7 cclloyd9785

cclloyd9785

New WinMatrixian

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 19 September 2009 - 06:57 PM

I would like to know how to create a .bmp file that works without the ugly white bg (tried making it in photoshop) and it turned out that way.

Anyone know how i could convert this to a .bmp or use it in explorer?

Posted Image
MADE BY ME!

#8 fediaFedia

fediaFedia

Super WinMatrixian

• Elites
  • 2,538 posts

Posted 19 September 2009 - 07:01 PM

Use GIMP to save it as BMP with alpha

#9 asfaltas

asfaltas

New WinMatrixian

• 49 posts

Posted 19 September 2009 - 07:34 PM

I would like to know how to create a .bmp file that works without the ugly white bg (tried making it in photoshop) and it turned out that way.

Anyone know how i could convert this to a .bmp or use it in explorer?

Posted Image
MADE BY ME!

wow super super :D

#10 cclloyd9785

cclloyd9785

New WinMatrixian

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 19 September 2009 - 08:10 PM

Can you explain how to for me? Im sry im nub with gimp cause i use photoshop.

Edited by cclloyd9785, 19 September 2009 - 08:20 PM.

#11 cclloyd9785

cclloyd9785

New WinMatrixian

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 19 September 2009 - 09:00 PM

Nevermind to anything said above.

Finally found out how to in photoshop.

Heres a dl of it.

http://www.mediafire...php?ryim2hm5tnd

Just copy into the Windows folder and run as admin. Then restart explorer or log off.

#12 PurplePeopleEater

PurplePeopleEater

I'm an Android fanboy sue me

• 4,090 posts

Posted 19 September 2009 - 11:43 PM

thats ironic 6801 is one of the resources and thats my favorite build of seven.

I love cclloyd9785's start button images, I'd love to see a theme with it

#13 tipu

tipu

WinMatrixian

• 84 posts

Posted 20 September 2009 - 10:44 AM

I love cclloyd9785's start button. I applied it but its edges are not smooth when there is no mouse over the start button. May be there should be thread for custom start button images. :whistle:
If you have more kindly share them.

#14 Guest_Heliosintrism_*

Guest_Heliosintrism_*

Posted 15 October 2009 - 02:49 AM

im having the same problem. im using fireworks. with windows vista all i had to do was put a black rectangle behind the 3 images and turn its opacity from 100 to 1 (it would look transparent) and i had no problems. but when i try to with windows 7 i get it to show up but its very faint, and between changes like mouse over and down a white box appears and then goes away in the background. could i get some step by step instructions please :) or i guess i could upload the img if someone wants to try it for me. itll be a .png please! and thank you!

#15 heliosintrism

heliosintrism

New WinMatrixian

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 15 October 2009 - 02:54 AM

im trying to make one too with fireworks, but im not having any luck. i tried what i did in vista to get it transparent by putting a black rectangle in the background and setting its opacity from 100 to 1 so you couldn't see it. then saving it as bmp and replacing it in explorer. it worked but its very very faint you can barely see it! and during mouse over and down the background turns white then goes back to transparent. can i possibly get a walk through or could someone convert them for me since i don't have ps. please! and thank you!

Attached Files

• Attached File  6801.png   86.23K   20 downloads

#16 Guest_kane_*

Guest_kane_*

Posted 15 October 2009 - 09:16 AM

Does anyone else get the impression that cclloyd9785, asfaltas, and heliosintrism are the same person?

All are new to WM and have a very low post count, speak the same way and want the same things..

#17 heliosintrism

heliosintrism

New WinMatrixian

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 15 October 2009 - 08:01 PM

Does anyone else get the impression that cclloyd9785, asfaltas, and heliosintrism are the same person?

All are new to WM and have a very low post count, speak the same way and want the same things..

actually not-

i got the images converted finally! however there is still the issue with them being very faint. like they have been set at 50% opacity or something its very frustrating. any ideas?

#18 L34K3D

L34K3D

My First Post!

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 21 October 2009 - 03:26 AM

im trying to make one too with fireworks, but im not having any luck. i tried what i did in vista to get it transparent by putting a black rectangle in the background and setting its opacity from 100 to 1 so you couldn't see it. then saving it as bmp and replacing it in explorer. it worked but its very very faint you can barely see it! and during mouse over and down the background turns white then goes back to transparent. can i possibly get a walk through or could someone convert them for me since i don't have ps. please! and thank you!

Try using a Grey Some where closer to black then white, on the Alpha Channel. over where you want it to be some what transparent.

I also actually had to crop my picture to the four or five different sizes that where in explorer.exe. Then I had to replace them all to get my start button to appear.... well It didn't change after I changed the first one so I just went a head to cropped it four or so times. saving it each time.

To get my white background to disappear was paint change the background to black.

Posted Image

Edited by L34K3D, 21 October 2009 - 03:29 AM.

#19 xtntx

xtntx

My First Post!

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 07 May 2010 - 08:08 PM

hi all ....
i have a little problem with the changing the orb of the start button windows 7 ...
i've tryed to change it in all kind of ways ...
i have must be missing some detail...

i have changed the Explorer.exe i tool ownership
but the button still like it was b4 ...

any one knows why ? :)

Want to comment?

Register or Sign In to go completely ad-free!