• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#21 FalseAgent

FalseAgent

your average joe (tm)

• Elites
  • 6,694 posts

Posted 11 June 2009 - 09:52 AM

it's such a resource hog. If it were to be as lightweight as Chrome, chances are, Safari might be faster.

#22 binzoo

binzoo

Active WinMatrixian

• 447 posts

Posted 11 June 2009 - 10:18 AM

It's turned into itunes.

#23 Villain

Villain

An Old Geek

• Global Moderator
  • 6,003 posts

Posted 11 June 2009 - 12:39 PM

iSafari?

#24 FalseAgent

FalseAgent

your average joe (tm)

• Elites
  • 6,694 posts

Posted 11 June 2009 - 02:17 PM

iSafari?

ew, i'm tired of all iStuff.

#25 InlineSkate

InlineSkate

WinMatrix Addict

• 3,182 posts

Posted 11 June 2009 - 04:41 PM

It just uses so much ram and resources for a browser its like surfing with a office suite.

#26 NealTheGuitarist

NealTheGuitarist

Nothing is sound

• 621 posts

Posted 13 June 2009 - 02:57 PM

So Safari is not that good? :huh:

#27 AMIRZ

AMIRZ

Loyal Member and Friend

• 2,033 posts

Posted 13 June 2009 - 03:49 PM

Cool but still Firefox and/or Chrome for me :wub: thanks

#28 yoni5002

yoni5002

Active WinMatrixian

• 345 posts

Posted 13 June 2009 - 04:22 PM

if your browser does not have adblock support, then it is a waste of my time.

You must admit you got to this conclusion because there was nothing better to be said, I guess.
There are few ad-blockers for Safari in OSX and they are very effective. For Windows you can implement the following CSS file.
Attached File  fanboy_adblocklist_elements.css   60.9K   11 downloads
USAGE: Save this css file anywhere in your computer i.e: Documents. Launch Safari. Go to Menu Bar -> Edit -> Preferences -> Advanced/ Style sheet and select the css you previously saved in the Documents folder. Restart Safari.

Each browser offers it's own goodies. Feel free to use the one that works for you. At the end they are nothing but a tool. Now, credit where credit is due: Safari Java-script "Nitro" engine makes it really a fast browser if not the fastest one in the market.

granted, i have not used safari since ver 1.

That's probably the reason why you can't really have a clear idea of what you are talking about.

Maybe you want to give it a try now that you have an adblock solution.

Greetings,
Yoni

#29 yoni5002

yoni5002

Active WinMatrixian

• 345 posts

Posted 13 June 2009 - 04:56 PM

It just uses so much ram and resources for a browser its like surfing with a office suite.

People often tag applications as "resources hog" when the application takes advantages of your hardware. I have a different approach for this.

1- You don't want to have 4GB RAM in a system while 3GB are sitting there idle all the time not being used. It defeats the propose of having the extra GBs RAM in your PC. Doesn't it?
2- Safari, instead of trashing data to your hard drive it loads it onto memory (RAM) providing faster access times to the data. I/Os from-to RAM (Read and Write) are way faster than reading and writing from and to your hard drive. It's being proved that not even solid state drives provide such a great speed because of the direct communication between RAM and CPU, specially now days that the middle man (FSB) is being replaced for built-in memory controllers on the CPU.

3- I don't believe you will be willing to upgrade your car with a scooter engine because it is not a "gas hog engine".

Greetings,
Yoni

#30 Munkypoo7

Munkypoo7

Proud WinMatrix Member

• 1,015 posts

Posted 13 June 2009 - 05:34 PM

1- You don't want to have 4GB RAM in a system while 3GB are sitting there idle all the time not being used. It defeats the propose of having the extra GBs RAM in your PC. Doesn't it?
2- Safari, instead of trashing data to your hard drive it loads it onto memory (RAM) providing faster access times to the data. I/Os from-to RAM (Read and Write) are way faster than reading and writing from and to your hard drive. It's being proved that not even solid state drives provide such a great speed because of the direct communication between RAM and CPU, specially now days that the middle man (FSB) is being replaced for built-in memory controllers on the CPU.

Ok lets address these....

1. You MUST be kidding! Jut because I have 8GB of RAM doesn't mean i want 6 to be unused (to keep to your ratio of 4:3), HOWEVER having such a large overhead is basically so i CAN have the ability to run Photoshop, Visual Studio, WMP, Ventrlio and maybe Guild Wars for chatting and eating general crap and XFire to chat some more and be amused, not to mention utorrent which justs wastes bandwidth, and all the other crap that runs in the background, and even Vista itself uses RAM, with all of that i do NOT need a stupid web browser to take up 150mb+ of my ram to "be fast" thats utter crap, and until Apple learns that, Chrome and Fx3 Will be my browsers of choice, fully customizable and FASTER than Safari, without the RAM leakage.

2. Kinda covered that, I don't care if my response time is 4ms (arbitrary amount of time, it might actually be 10ms, oh no! -.-) slower because my web browser is running of my hdd and placing all of its files in there in comparison to my ram, in simpler terms, i have 8gb of ram BUT 1TB of hdd, guess what? ill be more than happy to dedicate a GB of HDD space for a bloated web browser over 150MB of ram for the same crap its simple, ~1:1000 (HDD) or ~1:100 (RAM) kinda common sense

So Fx3 and Chrome 3 are my main browsers, period.

#31 InlineSkate

InlineSkate

WinMatrix Addict

• 3,182 posts

Posted 14 June 2009 - 03:06 AM

People often tag applications as "resources hog" when the application takes advantages of your hardware. I have a different approach for this.

3- I don't believe you will be willing to upgrade your car with a scooter engine because it is not a "gas hog engine".

Greetings,
Yoni

Look why is it I can run other browsers that perform more stable with just as fast page loads without killing my CPU, RAM or HDD?

Its just wasting the RAM if the RAM was being utilized properly on a Dual Core AMD with 4GB of RAM my computer shouldn't stutter trying to open a tab.

Edited by InlineSkate, 14 June 2009 - 03:07 AM.

#32 FalseAgent

FalseAgent

your average joe (tm)

• Elites
  • 6,694 posts

Posted 14 June 2009 - 03:42 AM

Greetings,
Yoni

Look why is it I can run other browsers that perform more stable with just as fast page loads without killing my CPU, RAM or HDD?

Its just wasting the RAM if the RAM was being utilized properly on a Dual Core AMD with 4GB of RAM my computer shouldn't stutter trying to open a tab.

we all can agree that we don't wanna waste 200mb of RAM on just a browser.
done.

Edited by FalseAgent, 14 June 2009 - 03:46 AM.

#33 воυпту нυптея

воυпту нυптея

Sniper

• 20 posts

Posted 14 June 2009 - 12:55 PM

I am not impressed (N) , a resource hog plus the UI looks awful now. It still can't load some websites correctly, such as - mail.live.com....

#34 Munkypoo7

Munkypoo7

Proud WinMatrix Member

• 1,015 posts

Posted 14 June 2009 - 06:51 PM

I am not impressed (N) , a resource hog plus the UI looks awful now. It still can't load some websites correctly, such as - mail.live.com....

Probably done on purpose :lol:

#35 FalseAgent

FalseAgent

your average joe (tm)

• Elites
  • 6,694 posts

Posted 15 June 2009 - 01:08 AM

Probably done on purpose :lol:

Yeah...the resource hog (they don't care how much memory it takes, as long as it's mac-ed up) and not being able to load some M$ pages are probably done on purpose :D

#36 InlineSkate

InlineSkate

WinMatrix Addict

• 3,182 posts

Posted 15 June 2009 - 01:55 AM

Its probably made bloated on purpose to make PC's look bad as well.

#37 Siraka_Serion_Semi

Siraka_Serion_Semi

S3

• Global Moderator
  • 2,227 posts

Posted 19 June 2009 - 08:40 AM

News: Safari 4 for Windows slows down after Apple security update :P

#38 JuanArg

JuanArg

Le Torow

• 72 posts

Posted 19 June 2009 - 09:14 AM

Greetings,
Yoni

If you use your computer only for browsing the Internet then it's fine, let the software use as much hardware resources as it wants.
But, there are some of us who use our PCs for other things other than browsing the Internet, and we want our PCs to be as "light" as possible so we can run those apps.
I mean, I really don't care if I my PC gets put on its knees if I'm running Cubase, SoundForge, Sibelius and Reaktor at the same time (which I usually do), but I really DO care and it's annoying to pop up a browser window and see all my precious system resources go to waste and make my computer slower just because the browser itself "is the fastest".

SRWare Iron for me. It just rules.

#39 PRATOSH

PRATOSH

WINMATRIX DEVELOPER.

• 563 posts

Posted 19 June 2009 - 11:35 AM

safari 4 is amazing.hats of to the great apple.google chrome is ok but safari 4 takes the bar to a whole new level.

Want to comment?

Register or Sign In to go completely ad-free!