• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Liskiller

Liskiller

Super WinMatrixian

• Elites
  • 2,034 posts

Posted 05 June 2009 - 03:20 AM

Rafael did it again! For those who can't use the custom visual styles in Windows Vista SP2, download and replace these three system files (uxtheme.dll, shsvcs.dll and themeui.dll).

:download: Patched.UxTheme.Files.for.Windows.Vista.zip [mirror]

How to..
1. Login as a user with Administrative privileges -or- have Administrative credentials ready (check under the keyboard for a slip of paper).
2. Navigate to %systemroot%\System32
3. Right-click uxtheme.dll and click properties.
4. Take ownership of the file and close dialogs.
5. Repeat steps 3 and 4 for themeui.dll and shsvcs.dll
6. Right-click uxtheme.dll and click properties.
7. Give yourself (or group) Full Control permissions and close dialogs.
8. Repeat steps 6 and 7 for themeui.dll and shsvcs.dll.
9. Rename uxtheme.dll to uxtheme.old.
10. Rename themeui.dll to themeui.old.
11. Rename shsvcs.dll to shsvcs.old.
12. Copy patched files into %systemroot%\System32
13. Reboot (yes, this is really required)
14. Enjoy!

You can use Take Control or these registry files for taking ownership of system files on Windows Vista. ;)

Note:
These files are for Vista SP2 only. If you are still using Vista SP1, then click here.
This thread is for those who want to manually edit their system files. If you are new to customization then use VistaGlazz 1.2

#2 AMIRZ

AMIRZ

Loyal Member and Friend

• 2,033 posts

Posted 05 June 2009 - 03:31 AM

Thanks for the update :)

#3 BliND123

BliND123

WinMatrixian

• 61 posts

Posted 05 June 2009 - 04:40 AM

Do either UxTheme patch or the VistaGlazz 1.2 method show the names for the themes on the list?

#4 Gragier_521

Gragier_521

WinMatrixer

• 1,761 posts

Posted 05 June 2009 - 05:26 AM

@BliND123 You need DeskHack for showing the theme names on the list.

#5 ThoriumKnight

ThoriumKnight

New WinMatrixian

• 34 posts

Posted 17 July 2009 - 10:12 AM

W00t! :woot: might install SP2 mow thanx!

#6 Will Pittenger

Will Pittenger

New WinMatrixian

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 26 July 2009 - 12:16 AM

I used the 64-bit files listed above as I have 64-bit Vista SP2 and the above installation instructions. But those files (or at least uxtheme.dll) made Windows VERY sick. Programs left and right were acting up because they couldn't find uxtheme.dll. It would be things like the file open dialogs not opening. I restored the original files for the time being. Any ideas on how to solve the problem?

BTW: I do have VistaGlazz, but it is acting up and has been for a while. See All my themes look alike after VistaGlazz patched my system on the CodeGazer forums.

#7 Syzygy

Syzygy

Zing.

• 3,470 posts

Posted 26 July 2009 - 12:45 AM

Welcome to WM Will, it seems your problem at the moment is that you are seeing all the Visual Style names in the dialogue box as the same 'Windows Aero'. If you continue to use VistaGlazz, please try DeskHack. After DeskHack has been run, you should be able to see the names of the Visual Styles.

#8 Will Pittenger

Will Pittenger

New WinMatrixian

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 26 July 2009 - 01:20 AM

Welcome to WM Will, it seems your problem at the moment is that you are seeing all the Visual Style names in the dialogue box as the same 'Windows Aero'. If you continue to use VistaGlazz, please try DeskHack. After DeskHack has been run, you should be able to see the names of the Visual Styles.

That wasn't my problem at the time. But since then, I noticed that I had a reply at the CodeGazer forum. Now what you suggested is the problem, but DeskHack hasn't helped. This is a 64-bit system with SP2 (just installed it). Is DeskHack 64-bit capable?

#9 Syzygy

Syzygy

Zing.

• 3,470 posts

Posted 26 July 2009 - 01:53 AM

That wasn't my problem at the time. But since then, I noticed that I had a reply at the CodeGazer forum. Now what you suggested is the problem, but DeskHack hasn't helped. This is a 64-bit system with SP2 (just installed it). Is DeskHack 64-bit capable?

Yes, DeskHack should work fine on a 64-bit system. You just need to use the AMD64 dll instead of the x86. All is included in the download.

EDIT: Just another thing, what exactly is your problem? DeskHack or the fact that you can't install custom styles? If you are having troubles installing the uxtheme patched files, have you tried the new service rafael has provided? It's alot hassle free.

Try UXTheme here: http://www.winmatrix...showtopic=25076

Edited by Syzygy, 26 July 2009 - 02:04 AM.

#10 Will Pittenger

Will Pittenger

New WinMatrixian

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 26 July 2009 - 03:07 AM

Uh, you appear to be behind on the times. VistaGlazz fixed the problem. My main problem now is getting DeskHack to work. How do I tell it which DLL to use? I had assumed it figures it out. Nothing about that is mentioned in the DeskHack.txt file.

#11 Syzygy

Syzygy

Zing.

• 3,470 posts

Posted 26 July 2009 - 03:51 AM

Use the AMD64.dll if you are on a 64-bit system.

#12 Will Pittenger

Will Pittenger

New WinMatrixian

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 26 July 2009 - 04:22 AM

I know that. But how do you use it? All I know is to run the CMD file. Never mind. I solved the problem by manually copying the file over. I didn't succeed in registering it, but then the batch file ran just fine after that. I know I had previously run the batch file as an admin, so that can't be it. None the less, problem solved.

Edited by Will Pittenger, 26 July 2009 - 05:40 AM.

#13 Nights

Nights

New WinMatrixian

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 02 September 2009 - 05:10 AM

ZOMG HELP! iv been racking my brain on how to get this to work, iv tried vistaglazz, VistaVisualMaster, UxStyle_Core,and manually and like 15 tutorials and i CANNOT get this to work, i am running Vista Home Premium SP 2 64-bit... i can get all the .dlls in to place, take ownership of them, but from what i can tell "desk hack" does NOTHING i cant get them to show up in the list and i cant even get it to load by double clicking on the visual style! im at my wits end lol plz some one help!

#14 Will Pittenger

Will Pittenger

New WinMatrixian

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 02 September 2009 - 07:08 AM

ZOMG HELP! iv been racking my brain on how to get this to work, iv tried vistaglazz, VistaVisualMaster, UxStyle_Core,and manually and like 15 tutorials and i CANNOT get this to work, i am running Vista Home Premium SP 2 64-bit... i can get all the .dlls in to place, take ownership of them, but from what i can tell "desk hack" does NOTHING i cant get them to show up in the list and i cant even get it to load by double clicking on the visual style! im at my wits end lol plz some one help!

#15 Will Pittenger

Will Pittenger

New WinMatrixian

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 02 September 2009 - 07:09 AM

I suggest starting a new thread.

#16 billgatesrebel117

billgatesrebel117

My First Post!

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 13 April 2010 - 11:15 PM

not to be a pain in the behind but i have tried patch after patch after patch i am not able to use custom themes period and i like to use the customs obviously since this is apparently far from my reach could you please explain to me what the problem is

#17 Guest_al_*

Guest_al_*

Posted 02 March 2011 - 02:01 PM

Hello guys ! can someone told me about uxtheme patcher for vista, is it legal ? this patch doesnt kill activated vista ?

Want to comment?

Register or Sign In to go completely ad-free!