Photo
- - - - -

WinMatrix Debate #1 - Road to Windows 7 from Windows Vista, better or

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#1 yanike

yanike

I am YM. If you don't know me, you will.

• Global Moderator
  • 4,631 posts

Posted 19 May 2009 - 08:41 AM

Posted Image

Let it all out while you still can.

Hold nothing back! Speak what's on your mind.

Let's begin :)

#2 Syzygy

Syzygy

Zing.

• 3,470 posts

Posted 19 May 2009 - 08:53 AM

Not better, nor worse.

I don't see much of a difference, it was a disappointment for me.

#3 yanike

yanike

I am YM. If you don't know me, you will.

• Global Moderator
  • 4,631 posts

Posted 19 May 2009 - 09:03 AM

@Syzygy - Post #2,
I think the look of Windows 7 has improved for the better and how it functions is better. I honestly think Windows 7 is great and a step in the right direction FINALLY!

I LOVE libraries and how it works. Superbar is awesome as well. I do HATE how it doesn't read and charge some mobile device like Vista did. Still, it's in development and I think by final that will be fixed.

IE8, Windows Fax and Scan and Windows Media Player 12 is great :) Windows Media Player still needs a store like iTunes, but with better features. It would be soo cool if I could load up WMP and watch the latest music videos and stream the latest tracks and rent a movie or show. Windows Media Guide Beta is nice, but needs lots of work. I don't see why they CAN'T just integrate MSN Music, MSN Movies and MSN TV into WMP and make the audio and video play within it. Also, make the previews show inside the WMP without having to go into that box play mode. Also, if you want to preview an album, just make WMP load the album art and track listing into the "Play" list. They need a progress bar as well instead of a new window showing the progress bar.

I hope Paint gets layers! I still think Microsoft needs to adopt paint.net features.

Edited by yanike, 19 May 2009 - 09:26 AM.

#4 Syzygy

Syzygy

Zing.

• 3,470 posts

Posted 19 May 2009 - 09:18 AM

@Yanike #3
I loved the functions of the superbar, but it isn't that much of a change from Vista's taskbar (Other than the grouping, and botox injecting).

Libraries make it confusing for the general public who are used to using XP/Vista. The music library has definitely improved, and I'd like to see something similar in Vista (I'm a music fr34k). IE8 is fail like all IE's; FFx ftw. Windows Fax and Scan haven't changed much either, but Windows Media player was a definite improvement, much easier to use GUI.

*Overall, I find that the only good general-use improvement was the Start Menu.

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Edited by Syzygy, 19 May 2009 - 09:21 AM.

#5 AMIRZ

AMIRZ

Loyal Member and Friend

• 2,033 posts

Posted 19 May 2009 - 11:40 AM

Congrats for the first open debate. Btw there is no other topic than Windows 7 here? Over and over again. I just think that we may need something "fresh" instead... :P

#6 fediaFedia

fediaFedia

Super WinMatrixian

• Elites
  • 2,553 posts

Posted 19 May 2009 - 11:47 AM

I'm not sure about windows 7 anymore, I hoped that microsoft would ad more features. For now the ONLY useful feature for me is the superbar which I'm not really used to much + some nice things i can live without.
My friend who works closely with microsoft calls 7 Vista R2, and i think he's right. There isn't a huge leap from Vista to Seven like there was from XP to Vista, all in all it's just added extra functionality, some optimizations etc. Not to mention Vista seems to be more visually appealing that seven for me.

The first beta build was like wow, I thought at this rate they'll come up with something amazing, but RC1 is nearly exactly the same as beta just with tweaks and a new number...
I also hate some of the updated apps in seven, mostly paint. From being minimalistic it became a bloated pos editor for kids. I don't need that! I need paint to be just a lightweight window that can store temporary images, and I need only minimal tools there. I liked vista's paint the most. It's like adding a ribbon to wordpad the result is nor fully functional like word nor minimalistic like classic wordpad. WMP12 i also don't like, mostly how it looks - wth did microsoft had to remove the bottom gloss? I liked the sidebar itself in vista, it looked really good and was useful on a widescreen display, yet now they decide to entirely copy leopard and make them simple desktop gadgets, for me the gadgets system is now dead, I'm more likely to use Yahoo Widgets which are nicer. I think that explorer got somehow worse too, the favorute links is a treeview which spoils the look of explorer completelly - what are those blank spaces? Why couldn't they just use that empty space so one could ad more links? Libraries seems unnecessary for me, I really wouldn't want all my pictures in one folder (We're talking 15.000+ pics), same with music.

#7 InlineSkate

InlineSkate

WinMatrix Addict

• 3,182 posts

Posted 19 May 2009 - 12:32 PM

I'm not sure about windows 7 anymore, I hoped that microsoft would ad more features. For now the ONLY useful feature for me is the superbar which I'm not really used to much + some nice things i can live without.
My friend who works closely with microsoft calls 7 Vista R2, and i think he's right. There isn't a huge leap from Vista to Seven like there was from XP to Vista, all in all it's just added extra functionality, some optimizations etc. Not to mention Vista seems to be more visually appealing that seven for me.

The first beta build was like wow, I thought at this rate they'll come up with something amazing, but RC1 is nearly exactly the same as beta just with tweaks and a new number...
I also hate some of the updated apps in seven, mostly paint. From being minimalistic it became a bloated pos editor for kids. I don't need that! I need paint to be just a lightweight window that can store temporary images, and I need only minimal tools there. I liked vista's paint the most. It's like adding a ribbon to wordpad the result is nor fully functional like word nor minimalistic like classic wordpad. WMP12 i also don't like, mostly how it looks - wth did microsoft had to remove the bottom gloss? I liked the sidebar itself in vista, it looked really good and was useful on a widescreen display, yet now they decide to entirely copy leopard and make them simple desktop gadgets, for me the gadgets system is now dead, I'm more likely to use Yahoo Widgets which are nicer. I think that explorer got somehow worse too, the favorute links is a treeview which spoils the look of explorer completelly - what are those blank spaces? Why couldn't they just use that empty space so one could ad more links? Libraries seems unnecessary for me, I really wouldn't want all my pictures in one folder (We're talking 15.000+ pics), same with music.

Not many features? How many were you expecting? http://en.wikipedia....ew_to_Windows_7 Dozens of new features to Windows 7.

And as far as bloat what you consider bloat may not be what other people consider bloat not everyone just uses paint for picture pasting alot of people use it for alterations on pictures as they can't afford PS.

#8 fediaFedia

fediaFedia

Super WinMatrixian

• Elites
  • 2,553 posts

Posted 19 May 2009 - 12:43 PM

Not many features? How many were you expecting? http://en.wikipedia....ew_to_Windows_7 Dozens of new features to Windows 7.

And as far as bloat what you consider bloat may not be what other people consider bloat not everyone just uses paint for picture pasting alot of people use it for alterations on pictures as they can't afford PS.

Too little features compared to how many vista had after XP. Don't even need a list to see the humongous difference, it comes from experience while using these Operating systems. Also most of the features in seven are not useful for me. In fact there isn't a single good reason for me to upgrade unlike it was with vista.

Paint even with this bloat is still a awful editor, people who edit graphics will most definitely prefer either (pirated) Photoshop or GIMP or anything else.

#9 NealTheGuitarist

NealTheGuitarist

Nothing is sound

• 621 posts

Posted 19 May 2009 - 12:56 PM

Too little features compared to how many vista had after XP. Don't even need a list to see the humongous difference, it comes from experience while using these Operating systems. Also most of the features in seven are not useful for me. In fact there isn't a single good reason for me to upgrade unlike it was with vista.

Paint even with this bloat is still a awful editor, people who edit graphics will most definitely prefer either (pirated) Photoshop or GIMP or anything else.

I agree with you but the improvements will definitely make Windows 7 as something new. Because in my opinion, the Aero in 7 is a definite improvement. It takes a lot less memory in 7 than Vista for Aero. I didn't like the Superbar. I like the normal one. I don't know about paint because I don't use paint as my photo editor. And I hope definitely, we'll see something in the Final release.

#10 Borix

Borix

Active WinMatrixian

• 823 posts

Posted 19 May 2009 - 02:30 PM

A clearer topic tittle would be useful :)

I think W7 is a good thing for MS. For us consumer W7 is not such a big change from Vista, but is nice to see MS cleaning up there act.

Edited by Borix, 19 May 2009 - 02:31 PM.

#11 Syzygy

Syzygy

Zing.

• 3,470 posts

Posted 19 May 2009 - 02:44 PM

I think W7 is a good thing for MS. For us consumer W7 is not such a big change from Vista, but is nice to see MS cleaning up there act.

I don't think microsoft will sell many RTM W7's, it's not a huge step forward from Vista, unless you are upgrading from XP.

#12 lareeth

lareeth

Super WinMatrixian

• 1,169 posts

Posted 19 May 2009 - 02:56 PM

I don't think microsoft will sell many RTM W7's, it's not a huge step forward from Vista, unless you are upgrading from XP.

People will do what Microsoft proved in the Mojave experiment, they will buy Windows 7, just to get away from Vista due to the negative perceptions they have of it, even though the visual aspect of Windows 7 will be mostly the same.

#13 fediaFedia

fediaFedia

Super WinMatrixian

• Elites
  • 2,553 posts

Posted 19 May 2009 - 03:58 PM

On the contrary, did you forget those XP users who are afraid of that V-word?

#14 NealTheGuitarist

NealTheGuitarist

Nothing is sound

• 621 posts

Posted 19 May 2009 - 04:09 PM

:lol: :lol: :rofl: :rofl:

I know my friends who just hate Vista. They use XP and they know it as the best operating system yet. Actually, people like to talk against the thing they can't use. :angry:

#15 Villain

Villain

An Old Geek

• Global Moderator
  • 6,003 posts

Posted 19 May 2009 - 04:45 PM

Having ren Vista on my pretty much XP only machine, and having run Win 7 also on the same said machine, i found the user experience better in 7 than what i did in either XP or Vista.

The start menu re-design was logical to me, it made sense and "flowed" very well.

The new and improved system tray was such a vast improvement over the same old tech that we have been using since Win98 SE i believe.

Explorer's UI made much more sense to me in 7 than what it did in Vista. And yes, there is differences.

Heck, even "old, out-dated" hardware (SB Live!) sound card that i need a special driver for in XP, that almost refuses to work in Vista worked "out of the box" in Windows 7.

So IMHO, The road ahead is a good one, and is the right one. Some one as MS realized that not all PCs run off of cutting edge tech, and the re-designs make sense.

Villian

#16 fediaFedia

fediaFedia

Super WinMatrixian

• Elites
  • 2,553 posts

Posted 19 May 2009 - 04:57 PM

I know my friends who just hate Vista. They use XP and they know it as the best operating system yet. Actually, people like to talk against the thing they can't use. :angry:

This is exactly why people hate vista, I once hated vista because I couldn't use it lol
Same with leopard, people hate it because they can't use it :D

#17 AMIRZ

AMIRZ

Loyal Member and Friend

• 2,033 posts

Posted 19 May 2009 - 05:15 PM

I never hated (but just little "criticized") Vista for first time even finally i own it, and yes it's already proven itself as a nice, stable, and working OS mainly after SP1. Btw i just imagine that how will hackers hack Windows 7 RTM when it comes out, will the OEM BIOS crack still work to make the OS activated and genuine hehe? But yeah if you really want Windows 7 to be a good OS, please support MS by purchasing it legally. Oops sorry for being offtopic lol cya :D

#18 PUGALENTHI

PUGALENTHI

WinMatrixian

• 181 posts

Posted 19 May 2009 - 05:29 PM

Lets wait till October and will decide whether to go or not!!!

#19 NealTheGuitarist

NealTheGuitarist

Nothing is sound

• 621 posts

Posted 19 May 2009 - 07:24 PM

This is exactly why people hate vista, I once hated vista because I couldn't use it lol
Same with leopard, people hate it because they can't use it :D

I never hated Vista, it's a new OS and I try everything new.

People just don't want to use the new thing, they'll criticise it to hell. I just hope people stop critcising about what Microsoft is doing and as PUGALENTHI said let's wait till October to see what actually happens.

#20 PurplePeopleEater

PurplePeopleEater

I'm an Android fanboy sue me

• 4,090 posts

Posted 19 May 2009 - 07:34 PM

I see windows 7 as the 'snow leopard' of vista,

No major inprovments, it's mostly under the hood, Windows 7 is MUCH more efficient in terms of resources used.

The only addons that really stand out is the SuperBar, the new system tray and libraries (in my mind)

In snow leopard they are greatly improving the performance while the only actual visual thing I see changed is the theme and the minor cosmetic changes (correct me if I'm wrong)

Want to comment?

Register or Sign In to go completely ad-free!