• Please log in to reply
155 replies to this topic

#21 fediaFedia

fediaFedia

Super WinMatrixian

• Elites
  • 2,553 posts

Posted 01 May 2009 - 03:39 PM

Btw: Feel free to apply any of your ideas to the project and take your time, it just might turn into a badass terminal app for windows and not just a nicer looking cmd :)

Someone mentioned a project on sourceforge, console or something, it might be worth looking what it has.

#22 Villain

Villain

An Old Geek

• Global Moderator
  • 6,003 posts

Posted 01 May 2009 - 03:56 PM

Here is the border problem.
Posted Image
Actually Fedia, a Majority of the work is honestly done. once i get the frame border issue fixed, the reflection is no problem. All i need is a great looking "reflective" .png file, with the stripes set up like how you have suggested.

#23 fediaFedia

fediaFedia

Super WinMatrixian

• Elites
  • 2,553 posts

Posted 01 May 2009 - 04:02 PM

I think you're missing my point. The whole purpose is for CMD to have a aero glass client area inside:
Posted Image
It's coming from DWM, just like gadgets gallery etc

#24 Villain

Villain

An Old Geek

• Global Moderator
  • 6,003 posts

Posted 01 May 2009 - 04:13 PM

PNG? No need, it's coming from the aero background along with blur, just like in the gadgets gallery.

not for XP users. i will search dA.

ok, usage of cmd.exe is not an option. i am writing a new console / terminal now. thanks. :D

Ah. i see. ok. :D

#25 fediaFedia

fediaFedia

Super WinMatrixian

• Elites
  • 2,553 posts

Posted 01 May 2009 - 04:14 PM

PNG? No need, it's coming from the aero background along with blur, just like in the gadgets gallery.

not for XP users. i will search dA.

Why XP? The whole purpose of this suggestion was making use of Windows Aero technologies under vista only.

#26 Villain

Villain

An Old Geek

• Global Moderator
  • 6,003 posts

Posted 01 May 2009 - 05:52 PM

because i am on XP. I can use the DWM api's, but i need a vista user to test the binary for me.

#27 dtack68

dtack68

^^^ Me and my girl, Rachel :) ^^^

• 470 posts

Posted 01 May 2009 - 05:57 PM

I could test it

#28 SamiWiecieKto

SamiWiecieKto

Lurking all around

• 490 posts

Posted 01 May 2009 - 06:18 PM

If u want to use the DWM its easy. Here u go. Just the api's u need.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa969537(VS.85).aspx

I think

DwmExtendFrameIntoClientArea(hwnd,&margins)

wud do it. But on XP (without DWM), I dont think it wud look cool enough.

I am too busy with some f*cking exams or I wud have done it.

exams... You too?! xD

Anyway, why all are speaking about dwm, there is much more simpler way... guess everyone forgot simplest and oldest - ancient methods ;)

#29 fediaFedia

fediaFedia

Super WinMatrixian

• Elites
  • 2,553 posts

Posted 01 May 2009 - 06:29 PM

Anyway, why all are speaking about dwm, there is much more simpler way... guess everyone forgot simplest and oldest - ancient methods ;)

Because nothing beats DWM, glass, blur and stripes are awesome B)

#30 SamiWiecieKto

SamiWiecieKto

Lurking all around

• 490 posts

Posted 01 May 2009 - 06:59 PM

it's just a program, it's not so hard(from mine perspective) to write Your own implementation and people lived without it.

#31 PurplePeopleEater

PurplePeopleEater

I'm an Android fanboy sue me

• 4,090 posts

Posted 01 May 2009 - 07:00 PM

Thats what I have it like in OSX and Ubuntu, adding it to vista would make me right at home

#32 fediaFedia

fediaFedia

Super WinMatrixian

• Elites
  • 2,553 posts

Posted 01 May 2009 - 07:11 PM

it's just a program, it's not so hard(from mine perspective) to write Your own implementation and people lived without it.

Why bother writing your own glass\blur algorithms when DWM technology is just asking to be implemented into programs? DWM has all the interface work done for you, you just had to put content on top of it. Simple.
That's how glass notes and numerous dwm enabled apps were made.

#33 AMIRZ

AMIRZ

Loyal Member and Friend

• 2,033 posts

Posted 01 May 2009 - 07:22 PM

+ 1 fediaFedia and can't wait for the release! :punk: Awesome!

#34 SamiWiecieKto

SamiWiecieKto

Lurking all around

• 490 posts

Posted 01 May 2009 - 08:28 PM

Why bother writing your own glass\blur algorithms when DWM technology is just asking to be implemented into programs? DWM has all the interface work done for you, you just had to put content on top of it. Simple.

Cause it's useless for OS that don't have it - and I always bother to write my solutions, especially if they can speed up everything.

#35 fediaFedia

fediaFedia

Super WinMatrixian

• Elites
  • 2,553 posts

Posted 01 May 2009 - 08:43 PM

Cause it's useless for OS that don't have it - and I always bother to write my solutions, especially if they can speed up everything.

Well, in all cases your written solution won't be faster on vista or seven. Because DWM is a part of the OS.

#36 SamiWiecieKto

SamiWiecieKto

Lurking all around

• 490 posts

Posted 01 May 2009 - 09:32 PM

Well, in all cases your written solution won't be faster on vista or seven. Because DWM is a part of the OS.

Remember that API call consumes CPU as well - and if I get mad enough to code in assembler or C++ memory blocks then who knows ;], and once total share of Vista Basic or XP as far as I remember was equal or greater from newer operational systems.

And about part of the OS - from my experience and knowledge: DWM integration with OS is just very simple API interface. Guess why it runs as standalone exe, crashes from time to time and isn't integrated with system native theme manager.

Anyway, I still don't see point in using DWM for that task, there are simpler and better methods IMHO.

Btw, we are talking about 0,001s differences You realize that ;)

Edited by SamiWiecieKto, 01 May 2009 - 09:38 PM.

#37 fediaFedia

fediaFedia

Super WinMatrixian

• Elites
  • 2,553 posts

Posted 01 May 2009 - 09:59 PM

Remember that API call consumes CPU as well - and if I get mad enough to code in assembler or C++ memory blocks then who knows ;], and once total share of Vista Basic or XP as far as I remember was equal or greater from newer operational systems.

And about part of the OS - from my experience and knowledge: DWM integration with OS is just very simple API interface. Guess why it runs as standalone exe, crashes from time to time and isn't integrated with system native theme manager.

Anyway, I still don't see point in using DWM for that task, there are simpler and better methods IMHO.

Btw, we are talking about 0,001s differences You realize that ;)

So what you're saying is that you can create your own aero algorythm (which took thousands of microsoft programmers to come up) and use it? And it will perform just like aero with 0.001s difference having realtime non-offscreen DirectX based blur, reflections, stripe shift, plus few layers of overlay PNGs and a system defined color overlay completing it with cropping masks and adding PNGs for shadows (keeping the shadows off the resizable area). Sounds so much simpler and better than just adding a single line of code which will enable aero in the program instantly.

#38 fediaFedia

fediaFedia

Super WinMatrixian

• Elites
  • 2,553 posts

Posted 01 May 2009 - 10:11 PM

Posted Image

#39 AndreasV

AndreasV

WinMatrixian

• Developer
  • 56 posts

Posted 01 May 2009 - 11:11 PM

The DWM is also tightly coupled to a part of the kernel, so it's not possible to replace it with a userland app only. Furthermore, DWM also does more than simple desktop compositing, it also manages all toplevel windows (hence it's name: desktop window manager).

Secondly, console apps actually run in a different subsystem, so it's not really easy to modify a lot - the window handle is not guaranteed to be able to be used with all win32 functions. (you can see this, for example, with the scrollbar in the console window - it's not themed, since uxtheme can't access the particular subsystem).

#40 Frank2d

Frank2d

Elite WinMatrixian

• 205 posts

Posted 02 May 2009 - 12:05 AM

Hey, this is nice.

Want to comment?

Register or Sign In to go completely ad-free!