Posted Image

COMPLETED
Download link: http://komalo.devian...Vista-121457868

Screenshot
Posted Image

Created by komalo

Vision:
Posted Image
I was thinking, if vista\seven have so many smooth elements - why can't CMD also look good?
Here is a mock up for what I think would look awesome.

What do you guys think?

P.S. Maybe someone can make one? It requires dwm stuff though.

#2 SamiWiecieKto

SamiWiecieKto

Lurking all around

• 490 posts

Posted 01 May 2009 - 01:22 PM

Posted Image
I was thinking, if vista\seven have so many smooth elements - why can't CMD also look good?
Here is a mock up for what I think would look awesome.

What do you guys think?

I'm big fan of console applications - as usually they are more effective than others, and if You type fast... not to mention You were using DOS and Linux without GUI from very beginnings :)

P.S. Maybe someone can make one? It requires dwm stuff though.

Doesn't require DWM... and actually isn't so hard to write, hour maybe (with using Nimi existing libraries). I can write such if I find it interesting and finally get some free time :D *said coding NV9.1*

#3 fediaFedia

fediaFedia

Super WinMatrixian

• Elites
  • 2,553 posts

Posted 01 May 2009 - 01:30 PM

Well, I really want a DWM console, not just semi transparent. Notice the lines and blur behind it...

#4 ThunderROM

ThunderROM

Super WinMatrixian

• 2,637 posts

Posted 01 May 2009 - 01:32 PM

It looks cool in a nerd way.

#5 Syzygy

Syzygy

Zing.

• 3,470 posts

Posted 01 May 2009 - 01:33 PM

Aero Command Prompt.

Not a bad idea. Actually, I'd love it :) Never liked the plain old CMD much until I made the font green :P

#6 fediaFedia

fediaFedia

Super WinMatrixian

• Elites
  • 2,553 posts

Posted 01 May 2009 - 01:37 PM

It's inspired by Linux's terminal by the way:
http://www.foo-proje...transparent.png

#7 AMIRZ

AMIRZ

Loyal Member and Friend

• 2,033 posts

Posted 01 May 2009 - 01:38 PM

Sorry fediaFedia but i don't get it... :blink: what are you talking about? My Vista CMD has Aero UI (blurred/glass border) , or you meant the transparent window?

#8 fediaFedia

fediaFedia

Super WinMatrixian

• Elites
  • 2,553 posts

Posted 01 May 2009 - 01:38 PM

Sorry fediaFedia but i don't get it... :blink: what are you talking about? My Vista CMD has Aero UI (blurred/glass border) , or you meant the transparent window?

Look at the screenshot closely :)

#9 AMIRZ

AMIRZ

Loyal Member and Friend

• 2,033 posts

Posted 01 May 2009 - 01:48 PM

Look at the screenshot closely :)

Oh i see :P without the scroll bar on right side + semi-transparent window + different font? Yeah it looks better

#10 fediaFedia

fediaFedia

Super WinMatrixian

• Elites
  • 2,553 posts

Posted 01 May 2009 - 01:50 PM

Oh i see :P without the scroll bar on right side + semi-transparent window + different font? Yeah it looks better

I don't see the need for scrollbar anyways.
Semi-transparent client area is the hardest to do...

#11 AMIRZ

AMIRZ

Loyal Member and Friend

• 2,033 posts

Posted 01 May 2009 - 01:58 PM

1000% agreed. Maybe we can reshack cmd.exe/.mui for that, + use some 3rd party add on such as Power Menu or Actual Transparency for semi-transparent client area :D Lol i'd like to try it later

#12 Villain

Villain

An Old Geek

• Global Moderator
  • 6,003 posts

Posted 01 May 2009 - 02:34 PM

good idea! between Metaknight and a few other tricks, give me a day, and i can have something for you, ok?

#13 AMIRZ

AMIRZ

Loyal Member and Friend

• 2,033 posts

Posted 01 May 2009 - 02:37 PM

Wow it sounds great Villain (Y) i know you're the man :D

#14 Ammarx

Ammarx

GeneralfeldmarschallROMMEL

• 934 posts

Posted 01 May 2009 - 02:40 PM

good idea! between Metaknight and a few other tricks, give me a day, and i can have something for you, ok?

Yes Waiting Posted Image

#15 SamiWiecieKto

SamiWiecieKto

Lurking all around

• 490 posts

Posted 01 May 2009 - 03:02 PM

Well, I really want a DWM console, not just semi transparent. Notice the lines and blur behind it...

and who said something about semi-transparent?

Aero Command Prompt.

Not a bad idea. Actually, I'd love it :) Never liked the plain old CMD much until I made the font green :P

xD

nope - though it depends on approach.

Do Your best :) Actually I think it would be great for You to focus on those - weren't You one who made that notepad and word with that icon bar whatever it's called etc.? (took medicine, kind of sleepy now - recalling is rather hard now)

#16 fediaFedia

fediaFedia

Super WinMatrixian

• Elites
  • 2,553 posts

Posted 01 May 2009 - 03:08 PM

Sounds good, but pls make it use aero glass like in the screenshot. Because semi-transparency can be achieved even with glass2k...

Oh one more thing: It would be nice if the dark background opacity could be adjusted, and maybe even the color too :)
If you make it, you can call it CMD+ for Windows :P

#17 Villain

Villain

An Old Geek

• Global Moderator
  • 6,003 posts

Posted 01 May 2009 - 03:25 PM

ok, using GlassFrame (The MetaKnight frame-replace and capture code) works on cmd.exe ... BUT... it uses a wierd frome. you know, like all Win98 and such, so the sourcework is not recognizing it, as i have to play with it a bit to get it to remove the frame... then it is a matter of making the window transparent (the cmd.exe) and add in the "shine" graphics behine it ... that means bitblt.

Anyhow. A day or so. should be about right. Glad you gave me something to work on, i was going nuts not having anything to code!

Oh, and i was reminded of something that i made back in 198? -- something. I was using QBasic 4.5 , a DOs version of basic that could compile. So i went back and found some very, VERY OLD and primitive source code for my own Command Line Interperter... Actually it was a shell set up around command.com...
{code removed because it stretched the thread to much}

So yeah, if i can correctly parse the CMD.exe's output, then we can make a custom command line interpreter. like BASH for Windows, but better.

#18 kyosan

kyosan

Active WinMatrixian

• 770 posts

Posted 01 May 2009 - 03:27 PM

Very Nice, Fedia :D

#19 Lord Devrexster

Lord Devrexster

Hardcore Winmatrixcian

• 999 posts

Posted 01 May 2009 - 03:27 PM

If u want to use the DWM its easy. Here u go. Just the api's u need.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa969537(VS.85).aspx

I think

DwmExtendFrameIntoClientArea(hwnd,&margins)

wud do it. But on XP (without DWM), I dont think it wud look cool enough.

I am too busy with some f*cking exams or I wud have done it.

#20 Villain

Villain

An Old Geek

• Global Moderator
  • 6,003 posts

Posted 01 May 2009 - 03:33 PM

Thanks Dev! I wil have to make a XP version that uses bitblt (lack of DWM) and a Vista / 7 version that makes use of DWM, but that is cool!

Want to comment?

Register or Sign In to go completely ad-free!