• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 RickSOLET

RickSOLET

Super WinMatrixian

• 1,793 posts

Posted 27 April 2009 - 09:43 PM

Posted Image

Want to get a Windows 7 head start? Then Microsoft has the right resources for you. The Windows 7 – Learning Portal is now live, and it promises to enable users to get the skills and knowledge necessary to make them experts on the next iteration of the Windows client.

"Built on the foundation of Windows Server 2008 and Windows Vista, Windows 7 is the desktop operating system you need as an IT professional to enhance your organization's desktop environment. Windows 7 provides greater security and manageability for remote and local PCs, and improves the fundamentals of performance and reliability."

Windows 7 – Learning Portal

#2 PurplePeopleEater

PurplePeopleEater

I'm an Android fanboy sue me

• 4,090 posts

Posted 27 April 2009 - 09:46 PM

Kewl now I can show out school IT workers up... ohh wait they cant even connect a network properly :P

#3 CommonSense

CommonSense

Super WinMatrixian

• 2,620 posts

Posted 27 April 2009 - 09:49 PM

Why do IT people continue to rely on XP even though it is going to die soon? They need to move on, yeah they may have been taught on that OS in college/uni but still they should have the knowledge to adjust and adept. I am not in a working environment so I don't know how hard it is to upgrade the computers and laptops to a newer OS, but still I believe they should move on.

#4 Abhi

Abhi

Geek...

• 1,113 posts

Posted 28 April 2009 - 08:44 AM

Why do IT people continue to rely on XP even though it is going to die soon? They need to move on, yeah they may have been taught on that OS in college/uni but still they should have the knowledge to adjust and adept. I am not in a working environment so I don't know how hard it is to upgrade the computers and laptops to a newer OS, but still I believe they should move on.

You see, everyone is not an enthusiast like us, and there will always be some 'reluctance' moving to newer technologies the moment it comes out, factors may be many, like cost of upgradation, training everyone to use newer things and so on.
You can clearly see a trend that continues to follow here...they wait for at least one service pack before migrating big time to newer OS. Same happened with XP, and the same thing is happening with Vista, which is now being adopted by organizations better than it was one year ago.
It is not just about the difficulty to upgrade computers to newer OS, but all the decisions that the top management has to make when it comes to large organizations, and the IT guys cannot make such decisions on their own.

#5 CommonSense

CommonSense

Super WinMatrixian

• 2,620 posts

Posted 28 April 2009 - 04:15 PM

You see, everyone is not an enthusiast like us, and there will always be some 'reluctance' moving to newer technologies the moment it comes out, factors may be many, like cost of upgradation, training everyone to use newer things and so on.
You can clearly see a trend that continues to follow here...they wait for at least one service pack before migrating big time to newer OS. Same happened with XP, and the same thing is happening with Vista, which is now being adopted by organizations better than it was one year ago.
It is not just about the difficulty to upgrade computers to newer OS, but all the decisions that the top management has to make when it comes to large organizations, and the IT guys cannot make such decisions on their own.

Thanks for the explanation! In my school, the IT guys pretty much control what computers are ordered and with what OS. But they still need the OK from the Admin.

#6 something

something

WinMatrixian

• 55 posts

Posted 01 May 2009 - 11:04 AM

[quote name='CommonSense' post='222980' date='Apr 28 2009, 03:19 AM'] Why do IT people continue to rely on XP even though it is going to die soon? They need to move on, yeah they may have been taught on that OS in college/uni but still they should have the knowledge to adjust and adept. I am not in a working environment so I don't know how hard it is to upgrade the computers and laptops to a newer OS, but still I believe they should move on. [/quote]
[/quote]

and do you know why they put this ugly classic theme on all school computers? in my opinion, the xp green theme looks better.......

Edited by something, 01 May 2009 - 11:05 AM.

#7 HappyAndyK

HappyAndyK

New WinMatrixian

• 23 posts

Posted 02 May 2009 - 06:53 PM

You can also check out the Windows 7 learning snacks here : http://www.microsoft...01/Default.html

#8 InlineSkate

InlineSkate

WinMatrix Addict

• 3,182 posts

Posted 02 May 2009 - 08:05 PM

[quote name='something' date='May 1 2009, 07:04 AM' post='223563']
[quote name='CommonSense' post='222980' date='Apr 28 2009, 03:19 AM'] Why do IT people continue to rely on XP even though it is going to die soon? They need to move on, yeah they may have been taught on that OS in college/uni but still they should have the knowledge to adjust and adept. I am not in a working environment so I don't know how hard it is to upgrade the computers and laptops to a newer OS, but still I believe they should move on. [/quote]
[/quote]

and do you know why they put this ugly classic theme on all school computers? in my opinion, the xp green theme looks better.......
[/quote]

Probably less distracting.

Want to comment?

Register or Sign In to go completely ad-free!