Photo
- - - - -

Netscape Navigator - Bring it back?!

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

Poll: Netscape Navigator (48 member(s) have cast votes)

Bring it back?

1. Yes (12 votes [25.53%])

Percentage of vote: 25.53%

2. No (35 votes [74.47%])

Percentage of vote: 74.47%

Vote Please sign in to vote.

#21 Culprit

Culprit

I live my life a quarter mile at a time.

• 817 posts

Posted 25 April 2009 - 06:34 PM

die die die

#22 dtack68

dtack68

^^^ Me and my girl, Rachel :) ^^^

• 470 posts

Posted 25 April 2009 - 07:03 PM

This is what happened:

Netscape is about to close after being outsourced by IE, because Netscape had a price
Netscape gives source code out to the world
Some college guys picked up the source code, executed some necessary changes, and made a web browser
Firefox is born.

All-in-all, Firefox =/= Netscape, but Netscape = Firefox

#23 yanike

yanike

I am YM. If you don't know me, you will.

• Global Moderator
  • 4,631 posts

Posted 25 April 2009 - 07:07 PM

Posted Image
There's light on the horizon

YeoWorks Operating System

Edited by yanike, 25 April 2009 - 07:08 PM.

#24 The Flashing Fish

The Flashing Fish

om nom nom nom

• 684 posts

Posted 25 April 2009 - 09:05 PM

This is what happened:

Netscape is about to close after being outsourced by IE, because Netscape had a price
Netscape gives source code out to the world
Some college guys picked up the source code, executed some necessary changes, and made a web browser
Firefox is born.

Uhhh.... NO.

By the time IE had made its way onto the scene, Netscape was free (and even before it was officially free, the "trial" version just put an "N" at the end of the version number to remind you to pay).

And Netscape created the Mozilla Foundation, who in turn made the browser's code available. Work done by Mozilla was rebranded as Netscape. Basically, the only thing that happened was that work was no longer really done by Netscape, but by Mozilla. Basically, Mozilla was Netscape.

Firefox was a completely different project from Mozilla/Netscape. It wasn't "changes." They started new because by that point in time, the old Netscape/Mozilla code was crap.

Back in the day, Netscape Navigator was kick ass. I loved watching that little "N" as the page was loading. It made dial-up not that bad.

#25 pm_41

pm_41

CS student

• 1,394 posts

Posted 26 April 2009 - 03:03 AM

Posted Image
There's light on the horizon

YeoWorks Operating System

Yay! You're reviving Netscape! :D

Netscape is a good browser, just a little bloated.

#26 PRATOSH

PRATOSH

WINMATRIX DEVELOPER.

• 563 posts

Posted 26 April 2009 - 03:23 AM

let be dead,buried and hope this netscape does not rise again like jesus did not in 3 days,nor in years nor in centures.tried it once it was just pure crap.safari is better and well chrome rocks.

#27 fediaFedia

fediaFedia

Super WinMatrixian

• Elites
  • 2,553 posts

Posted 26 April 2009 - 06:25 AM

Just because it's a dead browser doesnt mean it's free to use in your own personal (payware) software.
If you even intend on making your "OS" payware, you'll have to purchase the rights for netscape, and I can tell, they're not cheap.

#28 Guest_doubletrance_*

Guest_doubletrance_*

Posted 26 April 2009 - 07:00 AM

nowadays the name netscape navigator sounds more like a gps navigation software lol

#29 FalseAgent

FalseAgent

your average joe (tm)

• Elites
  • 6,694 posts

Posted 26 April 2009 - 01:31 PM

nowadays the name netscape navigator sounds more like a gps navigation software lol

LOL

#30 Afzal

Afzal

Super WinMatrixian

• 1,668 posts

Posted 26 April 2009 - 04:06 PM

LOL

LMAO :P

seriously, enough already, its just a browser and it isnt any better than the current ones. the fact is, even though its had a nice history, its no use reviving something obsolete now

....just because windows 95 made some great waves, doesnt mean we should start using that ;)

#31 FalseAgent

FalseAgent

your average joe (tm)

• Elites
  • 6,694 posts

Posted 26 April 2009 - 04:17 PM

LOL

seriously, enough already, its just a browser and it isnt any better than the current ones. the fact is, even though its had a nice history, its no use reviving something obsolete now

....just because windows 95 made some great waves, doesnt mean we should start using that ;)

also, i'd like to add on that "Netscape Navigator" was renamed to "Netscape Browser" since version 8 onwards.

#32 uch_haiden

uch_haiden

WinMatrixian

• 224 posts

Posted 26 April 2009 - 04:20 PM

Netscape though sounds nicer (well at least to me) than Firefox, Opera, Internet Explorer, etc.

And I'm really serious.

#33 MistaBishi

MistaBishi

MSI and Apple Fanboy :D

• 622 posts

Posted 26 April 2009 - 10:30 PM

LOL

You just gave me an idea..... I'm going to install Windows 95!

#34 PurplePeopleEater

PurplePeopleEater

I'm an Android fanboy sue me

• 4,090 posts

Posted 26 April 2009 - 11:30 PM

LOL

Didnt windows 95 go free?

MY windows xp came with netscape, is it still available or is it completely gone?

#35 pm_41

pm_41

CS student

• 1,394 posts

Posted 27 April 2009 - 04:13 AM

LOL

MY windows xp came with netscape, is it still available or is it completely gone?

You can still download it. However, it's unsupported.

#36 MistaBishi

MistaBishi

• 622 posts

Posted 27 April 2009 - 05:06 AM

LOL

Well, its free from TPB :D

#37 FalseAgent

FalseAgent

your average joe (tm)

• Elites
  • 6,694 posts

Posted 27 April 2009 - 06:08 AM

everything is free from TPB :D

Edited by comedy_guy, 27 April 2009 - 06:09 AM.

#38 MistaBishi

MistaBishi

• 622 posts

Posted 27 April 2009 - 06:34 AM

But i get all my software legally, honest :whistle:

#39 FalseAgent

FalseAgent

your average joe (tm)

• Elites
  • 6,694 posts

Posted 27 April 2009 - 06:54 AM

But i get all my software legally, honest :whistle:

Lais.
admit it, you didn't pay for winRAR.
Posted Image

Edited by comedy_guy, 27 April 2009 - 06:54 AM.

#40 AMIRZ

AMIRZ

Loyal Member and Friend

• 2,033 posts

Posted 27 April 2009 - 10:43 AM

+1000 (Y)

:devil: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :devil:

Want to comment?

Register or Sign In to go completely ad-free!