Photo
* * * - - 1 votes

Will you keep using XP after the release of Windows 7?

• Please log in to reply
66 replies to this topic

Poll: 7 or XP? (113 member(s) have cast votes)

Continue using XP?

1. Yes (45 votes [42.06%])

Percentage of vote: 42.06%

2. No (52 votes [48.60%])

Percentage of vote: 48.60%

3. May be (10 votes [9.35%])

Percentage of vote: 9.35%

Vote Please sign in to vote.

#61 khelben1979

khelben1979

New WinMatrixian

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 09 June 2009 - 08:33 PM

The fact is, most XP users are scared or too ignorant to move to Vista. I've asked many people (some who have never tried Vista) and most of those who regularly use XP will say they hate or don't like Vista. That's coming from people who have never even tried it! Many said they have read about it or heard about it from a friend who hates it. That's ignorance.

I have tried it and I don't like it, although I must confess it "looks good". B.t.w. why going from XP to Vista when you can move to Linux? I choose to keep my hardware and Linux don't forces me to upgrade either. I'm actually running Open Office 3.0.1 on my old powerbook (using Linux) which was produced 10 years ago. Impressed?

#62 CommonSense

CommonSense

Super WinMatrixian

• 2,620 posts

Posted 09 June 2009 - 08:49 PM

The fact is, most XP users are scared or too ignorant to move to Vista. I've asked many people (some who have never tried Vista) and most of those who regularly use XP will say they hate or don't like Vista. That's coming from people who have never even tried it! Many said they have read about it or heard about it from a friend who hates it. That's ignorance.

I have tried it and I don't like it, although I must confess it "looks good". B.t.w. why going from XP to Vista when you can move to Linux? I choose to keep my hardware and Linux don't forces me to upgrade either. I'm actually running Open Office 3.0.1 on my old powerbook (using Linux) which was produced 10 years ago. Impressed?

That's not really the point. Sure people could move to Linux, but it's a different game. Yes, most people can use Linux, but when it comes to gaming, Windows wins. But for everything else, there is Linux. It's always a possibility. For the majority of the users, however, don't want to or need to learn something new. Windows is Windows, it doesn't change shape... besides where things are located sometimes. Vista is good, especially now that SP2 is out, and XP is just as good with SP3, but doesn't have the looks. Windows 7 is all good too, but like someone said in another thread, it doesn't matter the choice of OS as long as the hardware is good.

I will most likely be running when 7 when it is released, maybe a few months after.

#63 DeadWrong00

DeadWrong00

WinMatrixian

• 75 posts

Posted 09 June 2009 - 10:23 PM

I completely skipped over Vista because I was dealing with older hardware (thank goodness I was able to scrounge up the $$ to build myself a new PC this year) and was learning how to mod XP and use Ubuntu heavily.

Now, I've got my triple-boot Mac OSX, Ubuntu, WIN7 machine tuned and running any of those I choose to use that day and I will not go back to XP at home. We still use it at work, so for that I have no choice right now.

#64 Ace Starr

Ace Starr

the winmatrix addict

• 289 posts

Posted 25 June 2009 - 06:17 AM

No way! Seven all the way! XP for games does have some merit - i mean, its lighter so less overhead, but with directx 11 being bundled with Seven, thats clearly the way to go! XP has had its share of its glory (In fact i would say it stole some of Vista's as well), but the old must now rest, and make way for the new and future proof Seven!

#65 Ace Starr

Ace Starr

the winmatrix addict

• 289 posts

Posted 25 June 2009 - 06:33 AM

That's not really the point. Sure people could move to Linux, but it's a different game. Yes, most people can use Linux, but when it comes to gaming, Windows wins. But for everything else, there is Linux. It's always a possibility. For the majority of the users, however, don't want to or need to learn something new. Windows is Windows, it doesn't change shape... besides where things are located sometimes. Vista is good, especially now that SP2 is out, and XP is just as good with SP3, but doesn't have the looks. Windows 7 is all good too, but like someone said in another thread, it doesn't matter the choice of OS as long as the hardware is good.

I will most likely be running when 7 when it is released, maybe a few months after.

I accept this totally. I use Linux and Vista on my computer simltaneously and although i've not found any specific problem with Vista, i would like to make a complete switch to Linux one day. Only games and some apps hold me back! If only those linux guys got together and developed a directx equivalent for Linux or made OpenGL more powerful, then i think that a complete switch becomes possible for many people! That should be folowed with Vendors releasing hardware modules for linux and These windows only apps releasing linux versions! Then, and only then can i discard Windows completely! All seems like pipe dream today! :angry:

Edited by Ace Starr, 25 June 2009 - 06:34 AM.

#66 tonyokoro

tonyokoro

New WinMatrixian

• 26 posts

Posted 25 June 2009 - 09:19 AM

As far as I am concerned, all these positive comments people keep making about seven is just way way over the top. In my opinion, being a vista sp2 user and having tried windows 7, there is precious little difference between the two in performance terms. I run what many would call a legacy system P4 3.06GHZ 1.5Gig ram geforce 6200. Vista for me since sp1 has been a very good performer...most of the people who bash vista have never used it before which is just stupid. I am sure when microsoft finally rtm 7 with a huge price tag opinions will change just as they did for vista. I als o followed intently vistas' development cycle right from the longhorn days and I don't remember too many negative comments back then it was all praise praise praise. But as soon as the rtm was released with the price tag everything changed...it was bad comments after bad comments after bad comments. I am pretty sure the same will happen to windows 7.. u like and praise it ignoring everything else when its free in beta stage but focus its shortcommings when u have to pay for it.
Just sad really.

#67 absenteekamsunshine

absenteekamsunshine

New WinMatrixian

• 41 posts

Posted 25 June 2009 - 09:58 AM

Since I have has a Windows XP Computer and I now have a Windows Vista computer and laptop I can say that Window XP is 1 of the worst windows out there since my Windows XP computer kept crashing every week and with Windows 7 I have tried Windows 7 with some help from a computer friend only to find out that while in the setup Windows 7 said that I have no dvd drive so I will stay with the best windows out there today Windows Vista

Want to comment?

Register or Sign In to go completely ad-free!