Photo
* * * - - 1 votes

Will you keep using XP after the release of Windows 7?

• Please log in to reply
66 replies to this topic

Poll: 7 or XP? (113 member(s) have cast votes)

Continue using XP?

1. Yes (45 votes [42.06%])

Percentage of vote: 42.06%

2. No (52 votes [48.60%])

Percentage of vote: 48.60%

3. May be (10 votes [9.35%])

Percentage of vote: 9.35%

Vote Please sign in to vote.

#21 Secured Tim

Secured Tim

Call me Tim

• 2,085 posts

Posted 07 April 2009 - 04:13 PM

Continue using XP?

Not at all! I'm quite impressed with Windows 7 development. I've installed the beta version in my Laptop and I'll buy it as soon as it will be released officially.

#22 nemesiscult

nemesiscult

WinMatrixian

• 135 posts

Posted 07 April 2009 - 04:45 PM

Will buy new machine with Windows 7 and still using XP on old machine maybe :)

#23 AMIRZ

AMIRZ

Loyal Member and Friend

• 2,033 posts

Posted 07 April 2009 - 05:41 PM

Well, my another reason is, since my Xp MCE 2005, Pro, and Vista Home Premium are genuine (i bought them legally, only the Ultimate from torrent as i ever said lol sorry just "upgraded" it hehe) and the licenses are not transferrable (some OEM), i think i'll still keep them even after buying Windows 7 with new machine :D anyway long live Xp!

#24 Guylia

Guylia

WinMatrixian

• 174 posts

Posted 07 April 2009 - 05:46 PM

yes, i'm oldfashioned... i love Xp no matter what :) I still think OS should work for mind, not for eyes - i don't need attractive or "user-friendly" interfaces and other improvements "to make things easier", i want to think how to do things i need without suggetions from my OS...

Sorry for my english, can't explain my thought correctly, hope someone understood it :D

#25 FalseAgent

FalseAgent

your average joe (tm)

• Elites
  • 6,694 posts

Posted 07 April 2009 - 05:48 PM

my reason for keeping XP is simple - i'm on XP-based hardware.
Windows 7 is the final blow to XP, but until I get a more confident rig, i'm not upgrading.

That said, windows7's performance on a P4 system similar to mine is absolutely jaw-dropping. Xp is definitely snappier than windows 7 on my system, but what windows7 has and offers isn't bad at all, even at beta stage.

Edited by comedy_guy, 07 April 2009 - 05:50 PM.

#26 uch_haiden

uch_haiden

WinMatrixian

• 224 posts

Posted 07 April 2009 - 06:23 PM

Definitely XP for legacy apps and...

Windows Seven is quite sluggish in my computer. I honestly now don't see much difference as compared to Vista.

In XP, I can run 3 simultaneous instance of a software (program eats 350-650 MB) RAM. In Vista it won't cut in 2 (it opens but not workable), and in Seven (Seven 7048) it just dies and BSOD in my attempt to have 2 instances.

I have 4GB RAM (Actually 3GB since I am stuck with 32 bit versions).

Faulty ram maybe? :huh:

Faulty RAM? No not definitely. I tested it several times using Linux testers out there.

It eats 667MB-1.1GB RAM in Vista making it sluggish, multiply that to two if you have 2 instances (supposedly but a point in Vista not exactly x2). Never tried it on SP2 beta though since I erased Vista in favor of 7 when I downloaded the beta.

Its the corporate software (I think). It had been customized/built in-house (won't mention it here due to company restrictions).

@Eye Eye Pie Rate
Maybe you should try something more RAM intensive. Let me see, for your case try doing CADs and 3d modeling. In our case the workers generally switch all to classic themes whether in Vista or XP when using these applications. And do you always need to say F___K and S__T?

My definition of 2 instances, 2 same programs running independently. And NOT a software with 2 files opened like working 2 documents in Word. So basically multiply it by two when you have 2 applications.

Finally, it shouldn't be actually a RAM problem if it can't load it, Windows alot a Virtual memory using the HD space in theory. Again in my case it BSODs then freezes. At times it also beeps and reboots.

PS/ In my observation, most software uses the same RAM amount in Vista and Se7en.

<<Sorry that's the best way I can explain it >>

Just to clarify I will use XP on the machine it presently runs until it dies. I won't say XP forever since some items are just better handled in Se7en compared to XP.

Edited by uch_haiden, 07 April 2009 - 06:33 PM.

#27 InlineSkate

InlineSkate

WinMatrix Addict

• 3,182 posts

Posted 07 April 2009 - 06:33 PM

Definitely XP for legacy apps and...

Windows Seven is quite sluggish in my computer. I honestly now don't see much difference as compared to Vista.

In XP, I can run 3 simultaneous instance of a software (program eats 350-650 MB) RAM. In Vista it won't cut in 2 (it opens but not workable), and in Seven (Seven 7048) it just dies and BSOD in my attempt to have 2 instances.

I have 4GB RAM (Actually 3GB since I am stuck with 32 bit versions).

Faulty ram maybe? :huh:

Faulty RAM? No not definitely. I tested it several times using Linux testers out there.

It eats 667MB-1.1GB RAM in Vista making it sluggish, multiply that to two if you have 2 instances (supposedly but a point in Vista not exactly x2). Never tried it on SP2 beta though since I erased Vista in favor of 7 when I downloaded the beta.

Its the corporate software (I think). It had been customized/built in-house (won't mention it here due to company restrictions).

@Eye Eye Pie Rate
Maybe you should try something more RAM intensive. Let me see, for your case try doing CADs and 3d modeling. In our case the workers generally switch all to classic themes whether in Vista or XP when using these applications. And do you always need to say F___K and S__T?

My definition of 2 instances, 2 same programs running independently. And NOT a software with 2 files opened like working 2 documents in Word. So basically multiply it by two when you have 2 applications.

Finally, it shouldn't be actually a RAM problem if it can't load it, Windows alot a Virtual memory using the HD space in theory. Again in my case it BSODs then freezes. At times it also beeps and reboots.

PS/ In my observation, most software uses the same RAM amount in Vista and Se7en.

<<Sorry that's the best way I can explain it >>

But you seriously can't expect a OS designed for 2009 systems to be less memory intensive then one designed for 2001 systems.

And in my experience i've noticed it more snappier then xp on systems with alot of memory.

#28 uch_haiden

uch_haiden

WinMatrixian

• 224 posts

Posted 07 April 2009 - 06:48 PM

@InlineSkate

Yeah point taken. But if its the same program, people will expect it to have the same consumption under any OS version. Plus the fact that they are both Windows. In general people will expect it to consume/eat the same amount if not, just slightly higher.

If I am not mistaken this is the case with some OS out there.

Yeah it does feel more snappier in Seven... just those mentioned annoyances. ;)

Edited by uch_haiden, 07 April 2009 - 06:50 PM.

#29 The Flashing Fish

The Flashing Fish

om nom nom nom

• 684 posts

Posted 07 April 2009 - 07:14 PM

The thing you guys are forgetting is Windows 7 prefetches so its going to appear to use more ram..

But it always frees it when its needed.

Just like Vista...

Anyway, I don't even use XP now, so of course, when Windows 7 is released, I doubt I'll use it then either.

#30 hab

hab

Active WinMatrixian

• 996 posts

Posted 07 April 2009 - 08:05 PM

I'm still xp cuz my laptop can't handle 7. If I had a good computer though, I would probably choose 7.

#31 Rudy

Rudy

Not a Geek...

• 70 posts

Posted 07 April 2009 - 08:18 PM

XP is GOD for me

#32 PurplePeopleEater

PurplePeopleEater

I'm an Android fanboy sue me

• 4,090 posts

Posted 07 April 2009 - 10:24 PM

Ill keep xp for when I need to use my battery because it never needs my harddrive for virtual memory, I'll us win 7 for general browsing to keep it fast.

#33 InlineSkate

InlineSkate

WinMatrix Addict

• 3,182 posts

Posted 07 April 2009 - 11:53 PM

Ill keep xp for when I need to use my battery because it never needs my harddrive for virtual memory, I'll us win 7 for general browsing to keep it fast.

Win 7 doesn't go for virtual memory unless you have really low ram what are you talking about.

#34 henrydtv

henrydtv

Super WinMatrixian

• 1,111 posts

Posted 08 April 2009 - 12:15 AM

next year i don't think i will use either xp or 7
i'm getting a mac next year.
i love xp though

#35 Elijah?

Elijah?

Believe it.

• 1,246 posts

Posted 08 April 2009 - 01:56 AM

Never used XP, never will. I tried dual-booting it alongside Vista a while back, but I just found everything to be a bit more complicated.
I was forced (until I bought my own laptop, which included Vista) by my parents to use Windows ME. That's right. The worst operating system of all time. I finally convinced them to get a decent computer after they kept hogging my laptop because it was faster.

#36 gergux

gergux

Pirate = Noob Human

• 363 posts

Posted 08 April 2009 - 02:14 AM

Yes.. XP works and Does everything I need at a computing standpoint. When I "Have" to change I will.

#37 deathvirus_me

deathvirus_me

WinMatrixian

• 108 posts

Posted 10 April 2009 - 04:42 PM

Vista x64 is better than XP x86 for me. .. particularly on my home rig. .. and most development i do are 100% Vista compatible :P .. can't wait to shift to Windows 7 x64

Edited by deathvirus_me, 10 April 2009 - 04:43 PM.

#38 AMIRZ

AMIRZ

Loyal Member and Friend

• 2,033 posts

Posted 10 April 2009 - 06:26 PM

Yeah whatever...Xp rules for me! :punk:

#39 ascendant

ascendant

New WinMatrixian

• 34 posts

Posted 10 April 2009 - 06:44 PM

Never used XP, never will. I tried dual-booting it alongside Vista a while back, but I just found everything to be a bit more complicated.
I was forced (until I bought my own laptop, which included Vista) by my parents to use Windows ME. That's right. The worst operating system of all time. I finally convinced them to get a decent computer after they kept hogging my laptop because it was faster.

I find it funny that everyone else hated ME so much... I only ever had it BSOD on me 1 time, and that was because of a bad driver install for my video card, other than that, I never had an issue with it across all 3 machines I had it on. I even installed it on an XP machine that I bought when XP first came out.

And in response to the poll... I'll keep XP on my older machine, but when the official release comes out, I'll be installing it on my main PC as my only OS.

Edited by ascendant, 10 April 2009 - 06:46 PM.

#40 GentlemanGezzy

GentlemanGezzy

WinMatrixian

• 80 posts

Posted 11 April 2009 - 03:19 PM

XP has come a long way for me. I mean so many programs, documents, just alot of life around XP thru out these years. I love XP. I been on Vista but I really haven't like tried it out. I kinda see 7 as a grown up from XP (if it works out good in the near future.) I think Vista was just adopted. I been with XP for the longest. So I really love XP. It seems to be the only thing working for me. Vista? No. 7? Maybe. I just hope 7 goes really good for the longest, just like XP. :D

Want to comment?

Register or Sign In to go completely ad-free!