UxStyle: A better solution to patch Uxtheme.dll from Rafael

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
56 replies to this topic

#21 hab

hab

Active WinMatrixian

• 996 posts

Posted 23 March 2009 - 08:16 PM

First of all, nothing is wrong with a patched uxtheme.dll. Second, what's the difference between my patched uxtheme.dll and this software. There really is no point in it...

#22 Uxtheme Rafael

Uxtheme Rafael

New WinMatrixian

• 19 posts

Posted 23 March 2009 - 08:18 PM

UXTheme patches will continue where ether you like it or not...
I think most people can agree with a .dll patch is easier anyway.

First of all, nothing is wrong with a patched uxtheme.dll. Second, what's the difference between my patched uxtheme.dll and this software. There really is no point in it...

I think you two overrate their simplicity. For 9 years, I've received at least one email per day asking for support. It was okay during the XP days, but with Windows Vista and increased permissions, it's a nightmare to walk someone through. Patched files are great... until a hotfix or service pack comes out. Then it's panic time when there's not an updated patch available. You need to realize, I am the source for these patches.

Before anyone uses "but XYZ patcher works", let me point out that all the "patchers" on the internet fall into one of two categories:
  • Unreliable search and replace algorithm
  • Offset-driven (my work copied into their program)
Both suck. UxStyle will reverse engineer the Theming engine, on-the-fly, and provide a consistent experience after applying a hotfix/service pack.

Edited by Uxtheme Rafael, 23 March 2009 - 08:20 PM.

#23 Lord Devrexster

Lord Devrexster

Hardcore Winmatrixcian

• 999 posts

Posted 23 March 2009 - 08:59 PM

If Mr. Rafael is giving Uxstyle Core for free then I surely think this is better than patched dll's

I am not doing any "research" as long as theming can be done for free .... So cheers to Rafael for keeping this free !! :punk:

#24 CommonSense

CommonSense

Super WinMatrixian

• 2,620 posts

Posted 23 March 2009 - 09:23 PM

Good thing I read through this all before I posted.

Thanks Rafael for making Core free. I would've been pissed if that wasn't because it is nothing more than patching the files manually.

Anyway, looking forward to this. And good job for the last 9 years! :)

#25 The Flashing Fish

The Flashing Fish

om nom nom nom

• 684 posts

Posted 23 March 2009 - 10:30 PM

Thanks for the comments, guys.

First off, I'm a firm...
..I think this should satisfy everyone for now.

Thank you for reconsidering your position. My whole issue wasn't with "paying," but rather what you get for the price. Because you changed your position, I may just buy the Premium version.

I'm assuming what you mean by "auto-updating," is that any updates (service packs and Windows Updates) that may break the Uxtheme patches will be automatically updated, which while it doesn't happen often (typically when service packs are released I believe), it would be pretty convenient.

You said that it won't be subscription based. Does this mean that when the next version of Windows after Windows 7 is released, I won't have to re-buy the Premium version?

Since you plan on making this available only for Windows 7, do you plan on releasing a Beta version before the release of Windows 7 so that you can work out any bugs it might have? If you plan on releasing a Beta version, would you consider releasing a beta of the Premium version, or give us an option to pay at a reduced price to get a Beta of the Premium version while allowing us to contribute feedback before the final version is released, and then allow us to get a upgrade to the non-Beta version when Windows 7 goes RTM? I think this would be a good a promotion to allow people to give you feedback and get the program at a reduced price. I think it could be a win win.

#26 Uxtheme Rafael

Uxtheme Rafael

New WinMatrixian

• 19 posts

Posted 23 March 2009 - 10:40 PM

... because it is nothing more than patching the files manually.

You're over-simplifying this patching process, ignoring the amount of work that's required to actually figure out what to patch.

I'm assuming what you mean by "auto-updating," is that any updates (service packs and Windows Updates) that may break the Uxtheme patches will be automatically updated, which while it doesn't happen often (typically when service packs are released I believe), it would be pretty convenient.

UxStyle was designed to be pretty flexible with operating system hotfixes, updates, etc. As it reverse engineers on-the-fly, and not rely on offsets, it should figure things out on its own without update. That said, there may be a time where Microsoft screws things up royally to the point UxStyle becomes confused and requires an update.

It is planned it would detect and install any available updates, skipping the inconvenience of having to download/install manually. Core users can simply go to the site and download a new build.

You said that it won't be subscription based. Does this mean that when the next version of Windows after Windows 7 is released, I won't have to re-buy the Premium version?

I'm not planning on making users pay again for something they already have.

Since you plan on making this available only for Windows 7...

Correction: UxStyle applies to Windows XP, Server 2003, Vista, Server 2008, and Windows 7.

... do you plan on releasing a Beta version before the release of Windows 7 so that you can work out any bugs it might have?

Public beta of Core.

If you plan on releasing a Beta version, would you consider releasing a beta of the Premium version, or give us an option to pay at a reduced price to get a Beta of the Premium version while allowing us to contribute feedback before the final version is released, and then allow us to get a upgrade to the non-Beta version when Windows 7 goes RTM? I think this would be a good a promotion to allow people to give you feedback and get the program at a reduced price. I think it could be a win win.

I haven't really pieced together everything that will be in Premium, I'm focused on just getting Core out the door so I can kill the dll patches. I'll put this on the THINKABOUT list.

Edited by Uxtheme Rafael, 23 March 2009 - 10:42 PM.

#27 The Flashing Fish

The Flashing Fish

om nom nom nom

• 684 posts

Posted 24 March 2009 - 01:22 AM

Thank you for the clarification. For some reason when I first read the first post, it seemed that it was only going to be for Windows 7 and up.

#28 bhast2

bhast2

Hi I'm Win8

• 633 posts

Posted 24 March 2009 - 01:27 AM

i love this idea no more replacing the files manually. I will try out the core version and if it works well I will buy the Premium version if it isn't a let down and offers something more than just auto updates and fixes the Aero theme name

#29 CommonSense

CommonSense

Super WinMatrixian

• 2,620 posts

Posted 24 March 2009 - 01:28 AM

... because it is nothing more than patching the files manually.

You're over-simplifying this patching process, ignoring the amount of work that's required to actually figure out what to patch.

No I didn't mean it like that. I forgot that you're pretty much the only that releases the patched files, so anyone wanting to use the "manual" method would be screwed. But now it's no big deal since Core is free.

I know it's much more complicated than it seems.

Edited by CommonSense, 24 March 2009 - 01:29 AM.

#30 coldemone

coldemone

Sleeping Winmatrixian

• 2,029 posts

Posted 24 March 2009 - 03:24 AM

nice points set out there Rafael, your development was hardwork, but anyway it's going to get pwned by a pirate who doesn't even know what torrent he posted.

So this is for w7 right?

#31 Uxtheme Rafael

Uxtheme Rafael

New WinMatrixian

• 19 posts

Posted 24 March 2009 - 04:08 AM

nice points set out there Rafael, your development was hardwork, but anyway it's going to get pwned by a pirate who doesn't even know what torrent he posted.

So this is for w7 right?

Is there any software out there that hasn't been pirated? Fighting pirates is a waste of time, I'm not concerned with it. It's merely a percentage number of sales you must expect to lose to.

And this is for a multitude of platforms, see previous posts.

#32 InlineSkate

InlineSkate

WinMatrix Addict

• 3,182 posts

Posted 24 March 2009 - 04:11 AM

Tbh this is one of the most stupidest things to charge for.

$4 for a file patcher?

Aren't other people just going to make programs that do the same thing for free?

Edited by InlineSkate, 24 March 2009 - 04:12 AM.

#33 Uxtheme Rafael

Uxtheme Rafael

New WinMatrixian

• 19 posts

Posted 24 March 2009 - 04:18 AM

Tbh this is one of the most stupidest things to charge for.

$4 for a file patcher?

Aren't other people just going to make programs that do the same thing for free?

Are they? It's been 9 years, why hasn't something come out by now?

By the way, later in the thread I announced a change -- UxStyle Core will be free, Premium will cost an undetermined amount of money.

#34 SharmanNet

SharmanNet

Super WinMatrixian

• 1,543 posts

Posted 24 March 2009 - 04:33 AM

Rafael, you are da man! I'll first try the free core version and then buy the premium if it turns out to be good.

#35 Laguna

Laguna

Active WinMatrixian

• 830 posts

Posted 24 March 2009 - 04:06 PM

What does exactly this does? O.o

And what's wrong with uxtheme? It works nicely for me. Except Win 7 that I haven't found any theme yet.

#36 AMIRZ

AMIRZ

Loyal Member and Friend

• 2,033 posts

Posted 24 March 2009 - 05:40 PM

Rafael, you are da man! I'll first try the free core version and then buy the premium if it turns out to be good.

:) Same here. Thanks alot Rafael for everything you've done for 9 years, i don't mind to pay for a software which the developer of it really deserves reward/payment for the good work, (even though i'd still love to pirate anything hehe) :D However i'm still using TuneUp Utilities for 3rd party VS/themes (it only patches the theme in memory, so there's no system file "hacked"), but it's also a payware though...

Rafael rocks! :punk:

#37 Eye Pie Rate

Eye Pie Rate

Super WinMatrixian

• 2,180 posts

Posted 24 March 2009 - 07:14 PM

I still think its stupid.
Scrap the premium all together.
Believe me on this (seriously), it will get raped on Warez forums.
It will be cracked to the point of none existence.

Why let them have the glory?

#38 hab

hab

Active WinMatrixian

• 996 posts

Posted 24 March 2009 - 08:10 PM

I think I finally see the point in this. Basically, you can use the signed certificate theme on any computer, like the default xp themes. But still, the one you would have to pay for would need something really good if someone would want to buy it.

#39 Eye Pie Rate

Eye Pie Rate

Super WinMatrixian

• 2,180 posts

Posted 24 March 2009 - 09:15 PM

But still, the one you would have to pay for would need something really good if someone would want to pirate it.

Corrected for you.

Edited by Eye Pie Rate, 24 March 2009 - 09:15 PM.

#40 Island Dog

Island Dog

Active WinMatrixian

• 668 posts

Posted 25 March 2009 - 01:10 AM

People complaining about $4, oh goodness.

Want to comment?

Register or Sign In to go completely ad-free!