• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 Liskiller

Liskiller

Super WinMatrixian

• Elites
  • 2,045 posts

Posted 03 March 2009 - 09:19 PM

Remember when Vista SP1 was released in first half of 2008, Microsoft shut down the Grace Timer, and the TimerStop. Now Microsoft is going to release another Windows Genuine Advantage (WGA) update in the coming weeks to kill the available activation exploit commonly referred to as the 'SoftMod hack'.

Alex Kochis, senior product manager, WGA

I'm excited to announce that beginning this week, and over the next several weeks depending on where you are, we will be releasing an update to that particular technology to help Windows Vista Ultimate Edition based systems detect the presence of additional activation exploits, namely the activation exploit commonly referred to as the 'SoftMod hack'. We're releasing this update to Windows Vista Ultimate Edition only at this time and only to systems with English as their primary language. As I've said before, we continuously evaluate the risk each reported hack poses to our customers, our partners and the protection of Microsoft's intellectual property; then we plan our activities accordingly.

Below is a screenshot showing what a user would see on a system that has detected the SoftMod activation exploit:
Posted Image

Track this topic!
I'll update this post with more info.

Edited by Liskiller, 03 March 2009 - 09:20 PM.

#2 Eye Pie Rate

Eye Pie Rate

Super WinMatrixian

• 2,180 posts

Posted 03 March 2009 - 09:27 PM

Give it about 3 hours, it will be cracked.

#3 InlineSkate

InlineSkate

WinMatrix Addict

• 3,182 posts

Posted 03 March 2009 - 09:40 PM

Personally I don't honestly think that they think its supposed to kill cracks I think it is supposed to drive the user to just buy a legal copy.

To stop dealing with the hassle of cracking it which I would find annoying to constantly repatch tbh with you

#4 Eye Pie Rate

Eye Pie Rate

Super WinMatrixian

• 2,180 posts

Posted 03 March 2009 - 09:56 PM

repatch like every 2 months and it takes 30 seconds or pay ?
hmm..

#5 PurplePeopleEater

PurplePeopleEater

I'm an Android fanboy sue me

• 4,090 posts

Posted 03 March 2009 - 10:36 PM

Couldn't you just turn off automatic updates? or mark that as "never ask for this update" like the WGA update in XP?

#6 InlineSkate

InlineSkate

WinMatrix Addict

• 3,182 posts

Posted 03 March 2009 - 10:51 PM

Couldn't you just turn off automatic updates? or mark that as "never ask for this update" like the WGA update in XP?

No

If you don't patch it it can prevent further updates unless they're security fixes

#7 Munkypoo7

Munkypoo7

Proud WinMatrix Member

• 1,015 posts

Posted 03 March 2009 - 11:10 PM

I had the same thought as Endrit >.>

#8 Secured Tim

Secured Tim

Call me Tim

• 2,085 posts

Posted 03 March 2009 - 11:20 PM

Personally I don't honestly think that they think its supposed to kill cracks I think it is supposed to drive the user to just buy a legal copy.

To stop dealing with the hassle of cracking it which I would find annoying to constantly repatch tbh with you

Agreed. It's better to buy the genuine copy of Windows. ;)

#9 pm_41

pm_41

CS student

• 1,394 posts

Posted 03 March 2009 - 11:28 PM

I pay for my software. This is just another update to me...

However, MS must be going broke. They're only patching the Vista that's cracked the most. What happened to us Home Premium users? 0.o

#10 PurplePeopleEater

PurplePeopleEater

I'm an Android fanboy sue me

• 4,090 posts

Posted 04 March 2009 - 12:08 AM

repatch like every 2 months and it takes 30 seconds or pay ?
hmm..

you can repatch w/o installing again? This crack interests me.... to bad its caught

#11 InlineSkate

InlineSkate

WinMatrix Addict

• 3,182 posts

Posted 04 March 2009 - 02:07 AM

I pay for my software. This is just another update to me...

However, MS must be going broke. They're only patching the Vista that's cracked the most. What happened to us Home Premium users? 0.o

Why would you waste time patching something no one is cracking

#12 Flaw

Flaw

Lurker

• 67 posts

Posted 04 March 2009 - 05:39 AM

What about those of us who already own a genuine copy of Vista Ultimate, but don't wanna pay another 300e just to get the 64bit edition?
I mean, M$ already screwed me over big time with ultimate, extra features my ass.
And now they would expect me to pay again for the same OS I already own? BS.

#13 Bill_Puertas

Bill_Puertas

WinMatrixian

• 218 posts

Posted 05 March 2009 - 02:49 AM

i wont pay for vista !!! it doesnt work well ... may be win7 :D

#14 InlineSkate

InlineSkate

WinMatrix Addict

• 3,182 posts

Posted 05 March 2009 - 04:17 AM

What about those of us who already own a genuine copy of Vista Ultimate, but don't wanna pay another 300e just to get the 64bit edition?
I mean, M$ already screwed me over big time with ultimate, extra features my ass.

Uhm its still a different OS the architecture in both are different.

Why wouldn't you of got 64bit in the first place?

This is like buying a car with automatic then later demanding they get you a new one with manual same power different ways of running

And if im not mistaken theres somewhere on the MS site where they will send you a copy of the 64bit version if you can verify a 32bit key all you pay for is shipping.

Edited by InlineSkate, 05 March 2009 - 04:20 AM.

#15 The Flashing Fish

The Flashing Fish

om nom nom nom

• 684 posts

Posted 05 March 2009 - 07:02 AM

You don't have to crack Vista 64-bit in order to use it if you don't want to pay for it again if you have Vista 32-bit. Just acquire a 64-bit DVD [size=1]image[/img], throw in your DVD tray, install it as you normally would. When asked to input your key, put in the one you already have for Vista 32-bit. You might have to call MS, but it should accept the key without question.

The keys aren't 32-bit or 64-bit specific. They are version specific (Basic, Premium, Business, Enterprise, Ultimate).

#16 AMIRZ

AMIRZ

Loyal Member and Friend

• 2,033 posts

Posted 05 March 2009 - 01:13 PM

It's really a bad news, but don't worry no one can stop people cracking Vista and other stupid paid softwares :D

Pirates Rule! :devil: always!

#17 93-art ~ Alim93

93-art ~ Alim93

Âlîм •• мøhămmэð

• 379 posts

Posted 05 March 2009 - 02:21 PM

OMG....here we go again

People of Winmatrix....Prepare yourself for another Topic War

Its others Vs. Eye Pie Rate

Edited by 93-art ~ Alim93, 05 March 2009 - 09:01 PM.

#18 gergux

gergux

Pirate = Noob Human

• 363 posts

Posted 05 March 2009 - 03:15 PM

Rofl! :woot: thats the lamest line I've heard! Something I would here from my 10 year old.

#19 Liskiller

Liskiller

Super WinMatrixian

• Elites
  • 2,045 posts

Posted 05 March 2009 - 05:25 PM

Don't turn WinMatrix into a pirate community! :huh:

#20 Eye Pie Rate

Eye Pie Rate

Super WinMatrixian

• 2,180 posts

Posted 05 March 2009 - 05:36 PM

Rofl! :woot: thats the lamest line I've heard! Something I would here from my 10 year old.

Rofl! :woot: you are an idiot.
If it bothers you so much, PM him.

Want to comment?

Register or Sign In to go completely ad-free!