Apple Safari 4 Beta Available Now

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#41 воυпту нυптея

воυпту нυптея

Sniper

• 20 posts

Posted 26 February 2009 - 07:00 AM

I installed and uninstalled it at the same day. Its fast but a speed tweaking addon in FF3 does the same thing pretty well and as for the UI, previous look was better to me, dunno where apple is going with this...

#42 xm4r5h4llx

xm4r5h4llx

New WinMatrixian

• 35 posts

Posted 27 February 2009 - 01:21 AM

I like how the windows version integrates into the visual style better than chrome... and to me it seems pretty fast... but it'll take a couple days of playing with it before i really can say whether its good or no...

#43 coldemone

coldemone

Sleeping Winmatrixian

• 2,029 posts

Posted 28 February 2009 - 01:18 AM

that's way too huge our net can't catch that. It's just like Quicktime, taking 80 mb when others are 12mb below!

#44 yanike

yanike

I am YM. If you don't know me, you will.

• Global Moderator
  • 4,631 posts

Posted 28 February 2009 - 02:52 AM

Why is it so huge? 24/25MB just for a browser?

Firefox & Chrome is just 7MB and Opera is 5MB.

PS. Congratulations to me, I just posted my 100th post in winmatrix. LOL

Congrats!

There's nothing wrong with the browser's size. The great features it has makes it that big. You have to remember that Google Chrome and Firefox don't have the same features and compatibility as Safari and IE. They will always be light weight browsers. Safari 4, iTunes and Quicktime are very advanced applications and will always be big, but the right size.

I have no complaints when they work excellent.

#45 Ammarx

Ammarx

GeneralfeldmarschallROMMEL

• 934 posts

Posted 28 February 2009 - 08:05 AM

Safari 4, iTunes and Quicktime are very advanced applications

Yeah so advanced hardly anyone uses them on PC, and they require advanced hardware too, like GTA IV made for next generation PCs

#46 FalseAgent

FalseAgent

your average joe (tm)

• Elites
  • 6,694 posts

Posted 10 March 2009 - 07:44 PM

If Apple came up with this BEFORE google came up with chrome, I would say Apple did something good. However, i'm very sure Apple just just fking ripped off a few ideas from chrome. Personally, i'm sick and tired of Apple integrating CoverFlow into ALL off their shit. TBH, CoverFlow isn't attractive at all.

Everything else about Safari4 is excellent. Even the performance surprised me (excluding memory consumption)

It gobbles resources in Windows: With 14 tabs open, it ate over 400MB of RAM.

I wish Apple would stop being stubborn about the colors they use (GREY-ISH UI IS DULL FAIL).

What i'm saying is, Google Chrome has built it's name upon lightweight-speed, and a UI that just sit perfectly. Safari's UI just doesn't "sit" into their browser as well as Chrome does. I still will take chrome over Safari, mainly because i'm not too interested in browsing my history and bookmarks via CoverFlow's animated shit.

That said, I still like it. Getting it on my MacBook now!

EDIT:

okay, I take what I said back. Safari is (surprisingly) original, and is the only other browser that moved together with the web, other than Chrome. Good job Apple! Tabs are unclear though. At least, Safari's tabs are less clearer and obvious than chrome's. AND MEMORY USAGE IS A BICH

Edited by comedy_guy, 10 March 2009 - 08:22 PM.

Want to comment?

Register or Sign In to go completely ad-free!