Posted 24 February 2009 - 11:59 AM

Posted Image
About This Mac

Posted Image
The System Preferences include some minor UI changes

Posted Image
The Keyboard Shortcuts Preference pane is now considerably easier to use

Posted Image
Application footprints in Snow Leopard are significantly reduced. Almost all of the applications have been rebuilt in Cocoa and 64 bit

Posted Image

Posted Image
The majority of running processes are now Intel (64 bit)

Posted Image
Mail has a significantly smaller application footprint than in Leopard. Also note the option to open applications in 32 bit mode

Posted Image
The new Put Back feature allows deleted files to be returned to the folder they were deleted from

Posted Image
Despite Apple touting QuickTime X as a big feature of Snow Leopard it is yet to make an appearance

Posted Image
All features are now enabled in QuickTime by default. No longer requires a QuickTime Pro upgrade

Posted Image

Posted Image
Stacks

Posted Image
You can now navigate the the folder structure in Stacks (view video below)

Download: Stacks Video
Source: Worldofapple

#2 Elijah?

Elijah?

Believe it.

• 1,246 posts

Posted 25 February 2009 - 02:40 AM

Nice to finally see some features being introduced :) .
The only problem is that my motherboard isn't 64 bit compatible, so no Hackintosh Snow Leopard for me :( .

#3 InlineSkate

InlineSkate

WinMatrix Addict

• 3,182 posts

Posted 25 February 2009 - 03:29 AM

Essentially a service pack?

#4 Eye Pie Rate

Eye Pie Rate

Super WinMatrixian

• 2,180 posts

Posted 25 February 2009 - 08:04 AM

Can someone actually show me the differences?
Like, I'm not trying to start a flame war or hate, but I genuinely cannot see a single thing different from Leopard.

#5 Ammarx

Ammarx

GeneralfeldmarschallROMMEL

• 934 posts

Posted 25 February 2009 - 08:29 AM

Wow i would love to browse whole HDD through new Stacks

#6 AMIRZ

AMIRZ

Loyal Member and Friend

• 2,033 posts

Posted 25 February 2009 - 04:22 PM

I really want hackintosh right now

#7 InlineSkate

InlineSkate

WinMatrix Addict

• 3,182 posts

Posted 25 February 2009 - 05:50 PM

Why would you want one anymore now then before?

Theres not one damn noticeable difference L

#8 darkredbbb

darkredbbb

Digital Artist

• 269 posts

Posted 25 February 2009 - 08:35 PM

Like, I'm not trying to start a flame war or hate, but I genuinely cannot see a single thing different from Leopard.

Snow Leopard is introducing a new set of technologies that are all under-the-hood and very few new features, since over a 300 have been offered with Leopard.
though it is speculated that a Marble UI would replace Aqua, similar to that of iTunes and iLife '09.

#9 Freka

Freka

Super WinMatrixian

• 2,758 posts

Posted 25 February 2009 - 08:47 PM

Hopefully this comes out before August when I am buying the 17" Macbook Pro :D.

#10 AMIRZ

AMIRZ

Loyal Member and Friend

• 2,033 posts

Posted 25 February 2009 - 08:54 PM

Bcoz i just realized that it's cool and... something new for me sorry (i never own Mac) hehe :D

#11 yanike

yanike

I am YM. If you don't know me, you will.

• Global Moderator
  • 4,631 posts

Posted 25 February 2009 - 09:20 PM

Snow Leopard is introducing a new set of technologies that are all under-the-hood and very few new features, since over a 300 have been offered with Leopard.
though it is speculated that a Marble UI would replace Aqua, similar to that of iTunes and iLife '09.

Eye Pie Rate and InlineSkate obviously didn't watch the videos or research Snow Leopard. There have been a lot of changes in Snow Leopard which makes it better than Leopard. Which will make remaining users of Tiger move to Snow Leopard without looking back. Also, saying it's an OS without any new features is incorrect. Yes, there will be more fixes done then new features and apps (which is even better), but still you will get a lot of new features as well with Snow Leopard.

Also, I'm sure there will be a Mac Box set which includes the new iLife, iWork and Mac OSX Snow Leopard at a very good price like now.

New changes and apps I know so far:

1. Safari 4

2. Quicktime X (Introducing a lot of new features and a broader video and audio codec support)

3. The new iTunes

3. Stack Folders (mentioned above)

4. A lot of under the hood fixes which makes it even better than Leopard, which is very fast and stable on 10.5.6 now

5. Updated "Trash Bin" and "Finder" with video preview of video files and more.

6. Better updates to the recent applications in Leopard.

7. Also, driver support :) Like Linux and even Windows now, it will detect a new device and find the correct drivers for it.

I'm sure there is more I'm missing and Apple hasn't revealed yet.

@AMIRZ,
Hackintosh is great, but it still doesn't beat a real Mac with OSX on it.

Edited by yanike, 25 February 2009 - 09:22 PM.

#12 Elijah?

Elijah?

Believe it.

• 1,246 posts

Posted 26 February 2009 - 03:37 AM

Yeah, I totally agree with Yanike. Running Leopard on a PC is great, but the performance isn't near as great as it is on a real Mac.
Plus, with my current problem plaguing me (an AHCI problem) is just one of many difficult things about Hackintoshing ;) .

#13 coldemone

coldemone

Sleeping Winmatrixian

• 2,029 posts

Posted 26 February 2009 - 09:20 AM

Eye Pie Rate and InlineSkate obviously didn't watch the videos or research Snow Leopard.

I didn't see eye pie rate replying here.

Let's face it, every OS has something good in them and something bad. It depends whether how people see it.

Mac OS is fine for me, it's cool and simple. But some things lack on it that win users enjoy.

#14 Abhi

Abhi

Geek...

• 1,113 posts

Posted 26 February 2009 - 09:29 AM

Eye Pie Rate and InlineSkate obviously didn't watch the videos or research Snow Leopard.

I didn't see eye pie rate replying here.

Here

#15 fediaFedia

fediaFedia

Super WinMatrixian

• Elites
  • 2,553 posts

Posted 26 February 2009 - 09:58 AM

What I don't like about apple is releasing service packs and calling them a new OS version. Like from Leopard to Snow Leopard the difference is very slight, just some fixes and features. And from Vista to Seven there are tons of new features, if microsoft called every bugfix a feature like apple does they'd have thousands...

#16 Lord Devrexster

Lord Devrexster

Hardcore Winmatrixcian

• 999 posts

Posted 26 February 2009 - 10:04 AM

MMM... the stacks look better

#17 yanike

yanike

I am YM. If you don't know me, you will.

• Global Moderator
  • 4,631 posts

Posted 26 February 2009 - 11:53 AM

What I don't like about apple is releasing service packs and calling them a new OS version. Like from Leopard to Snow Leopard the difference is very slight, just some fixes and features. And from Vista to Seven there are tons of new features, if microsoft called every bugfix a feature like apple does they'd have thousands...

????

What do you think 10.5.1, 10.5.2, 10.5.3, 10.5.4, 10.5.5 and 10.5.6 were? Apple is always releasing service packs aka bundled fixes and new features. Saying Apple charges for new features and fixes is a lie. Apple is always releasing new Quicktimes, iTunes, Safari's, security updates and requested updates to their apps to make them compatible with more files, more stable and secure and more. You can see a big difference between 10.5 to 10.5.6. Even in 10.5.2 Apple released new features to the OS for the stacks, menu bar and more.

Microsoft is the only one charging for new fixes and making a nice new theme to make it seem worth while. Even with Home Basic, Microsoft stripped DVD Playback from Windows Media Player and to this day hasn't add that feature and kept that edition below basic. I remember a post with someone asking what Snippet was because they didn't get that app with Home Basic. To me, a company that charges for every small feature and fix and breaks them down into multiple ridiculous editions, is a company that is running out of ideas and making their users pay for something they hardly can deliver. Windows best edition cost 3 times more than Apple's OS and runs 3 times slower than it to with less features.

Apple's done such a good job with the look and features of Leopard they really don't have to do more. Still, with Snow Leopard they raise the bar again with a lot of fixes, more features and new apps.

I don't care what anybody says, Apple takes care of their users.

Microsoft would be better off getting rid of their editions and making a site that users go to to select the features they want in the OS. Like customizing a PC, the site tallies up the features and gives them a price for the custom OS they made. LOL! Then we could see what feature cost the most. LOL! Microsoft, what a Joke! It's time for one (1) OS, with all the features.

Edited by yanike, 26 February 2009 - 12:23 PM.

#18 Eye Pie Rate

Eye Pie Rate

Super WinMatrixian

• 2,180 posts

Posted 26 February 2009 - 11:55 AM

agreed.

even from xp to vista is was a big change.

#19 InlineSkate

InlineSkate

WinMatrix Addict

• 3,182 posts

Posted 26 February 2009 - 04:57 PM

????

What do you think 10.5.1, 10.5.2, 10.5.3, 10.5.4, 10.5.5 and 10.5.6 were? Apple is always releasing service packs aka bundled fixes and new features. Saying Apple charges for new features and fixes is a lie. Apple is always releasing new Quicktimes, iTunes, Safari's, security updates and requested updates to their apps to make them compatible with more files, more stable and secure and more. You can see a big difference between 10.5 to 10.5.6. Even in 10.5.2 Apple released new features to the OS for the stacks, menu bar and more.

Microsoft is the only one charging for new fixes and making a nice new theme to make it seem worth while. Even with Home Basic, Microsoft stripped DVD Playback from Windows Media Player and to this day hasn't add that feature and kept that edition below basic. I remember a post with someone asking what Snippet was because they didn't get that app with Home Basic. To me, a company that charges for every small feature and fix and breaks them down into multiple ridiculous editions, is a company that is running out of ideas and making their users pay for something they hardly can deliver. Windows best edition cost 3 times more than Apple's OS and runs 3 times slower than it to with less features.

Apple's done such a good job with the look and features of Leopard they really don't have to do more. Still, with Snow Leopard they raise the bar again with a lot of fixes, more features and new apps.

I don't care what anybody says, Apple takes care of their users.

Microsoft would be better off getting rid of their editions and making a site that users go to to select the features they want in the OS. Like customizing a PC, the site tallies up the features and gives them a price for the custom OS they made. LOL! Then we could see what feature cost the most. LOL! Microsoft, what a Joke! It's time for one (1) OS, with all the features.

Windows 7 has alot more to offer from vista then Leopard to Snow Leopard

Everything has been improved and sped up things have been added and gui has been improved if thats just a service pack in mac users eyes then a few features that virtually just help developers is nothing more then a service pack in its self.

The ability to use more RAM who's going to use that much anytime within the next decade honestly

Grand Central - Helps developers develop for multicore systems and gives a little bit of a speed boost.
The MinWin kernel architecture in Windows 7 speeds things up

New iTunes and Quicktime - We have WMP12 with more codec support as well.

And you know Apple is gonna release Quicktime X to the rest of the world anyways

OpenCL - Nvidia already had this on Windows and DirectX 11 is supposed to do the same thing.

Support for Microsoft Exchange its about time

Those are the main new features Apple is boasting compare that to all the new architectual , gui, and program features in Win 7 then tell me which one is really a service pack

Edited by InlineSkate, 26 February 2009 - 05:03 PM.

#20 fediaFedia

fediaFedia

Super WinMatrixian

• Elites
  • 2,553 posts

Posted 26 February 2009 - 05:28 PM

Saying Apple charges for new features and fixes is a lie.

This
Those "300+" new features might seem a lot, but after I looked thru them - most are merely bug fixes and non-mandatory features, like adding a new screensaver.
If microsoft listed a change from XP to vista there would be 3000+ features, because it's actually a huge difference and not just a service pack. Snow leopard has even less features, and almost no GUI changes whatsoever. Yet apple calls it a new OS and you have to pay just to get things service packs should offer.

Edit: +1 to InlineSkate
New iTunes and Quicktime can't be called a major feature of a OS because it's a program update and you can download it separately. Like for instance vista had wmp11 and it was available for XP too, same with wmp12 i think.

Edited by fediaFedia, 26 February 2009 - 05:30 PM.

Want to comment?

Register or Sign In to go completely ad-free!