Magnets are Dangerous

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Ammarx

Ammarx

GeneralfeldmarschallROMMEL

• 934 posts

Posted 19 February 2009 - 06:44 PM

Dirk had an accident. Below is the X-ray showing his totally crushed finger tip. It took 1 1/2 hours of surgery to remove the shattered bones and repair the damage. Medically speaking, he crushed his right index finger distal phalange. The magnets had a 50 cm (20 inch) separation when they decided to fly together.

Posted Image
These Monsters Flew 20 Inches (50 cm) Before Crushing Bone!

He is lucky that he only lost a finger tip as opposed to his whole hand. The block Neo below is about 4" by 2" by 2" N45 with a pull force of around 700 lbs (320 kg). The disk is about 3" dia. by 2 1/2" thick N45 with a pull force of about 400 lbs (180 kg). That is his fingernail and some of his finger tip caught between the magnets.

Posted Image

Image1 (GORE WARNING!)
Image2 (GORE WARNING!)

Read Dirk's full Explanation

Read more about Neodymium magnets

Edited by Jatin, 19 February 2009 - 07:17 PM.

#2 punkrockerz

punkrockerz

-M-

• 486 posts

Posted 19 February 2009 - 06:58 PM

Umm k, since when have magnets not been dangerous? They damage monitors, ipod touchs, hard drives, etc. and if you go in a MRI machine and you have recently done metal work the MRI will pull out any tiny piece of metal out of your body through your skin even if its on your back. So a tiny piece of metal can get pulled from your back through any of your internal organs. Ouch, now that fudgeing sucks.

Also you might want to put links to the goreish pictures they don't bother me but they could bother other users, so instead of a big picture but a link to it and a warning.

Edited by punkrockerz, 19 February 2009 - 06:59 PM.

#3 Ammarx

Ammarx

• 934 posts

Posted 19 February 2009 - 07:16 PM

Also you might want to put links to the goreish pictures they don't bother me but they could bother other users, so instead of a big picture but a link to it and a warning.

They don't look that bad, last year my feet nails got pulled out while playing football bare footed and they looked much worse than these,

#4 Jatin

Jatin

Administrator

• Admin
  • 4,867 posts

Posted 19 February 2009 - 07:18 PM

Also you might want to put links to the goreish pictures..

Good suggestion. Post edited!

#5 Jatin

Jatin

Administrator

• Admin
  • 4,867 posts

Posted 19 February 2009 - 07:34 PM

...last year my feet nails got pulled out while playing football bare footed and they looked much worse than these

Two months ago the root of my index finger's nail got pulled out when a 20 Kg dumbbell fell on it while working out in gym. I cleaned the blood off and immediately took a picture of it from my cell phone. :P

Pictures:
Two months ago! (GORE WARNING!)
Now, with a new nail! (GORE WARNING!)

#6 Ammarx

Ammarx

• 934 posts

Posted 19 February 2009 - 07:37 PM

Two months ago the root of my index finger's nail got pulled out when a 20 Kg dumbbell fell on it while working out in gym. I cleaned the blood off and immediately took a picture of it from my cell phone. :P

Pictures:
Two months ago! (GORE WARNING!)
Now! (GORE WARNING!)

:lol:

Here is what happened to my foot nail
Posted Image
and as soon as ball hit my foot, nail was in the air, after that it was all about pure pain :cry:

Edited by Ammarx, 19 February 2009 - 08:01 PM.

#7 PurplePeopleEater

PurplePeopleEater

I'm an Android fanboy sue me

• 4,090 posts

Posted 20 February 2009 - 02:33 AM

Why would you need a magnet that strong in a household?

Want to comment?

Register or Sign In to go completely ad-free!