Vista / Windows 7 Media Center Skin for Xp MCE 2005 and
Windows Media Center Installer for Xp Pro, Home, Tablet PC, 2003
(With The Same Vista / Windows 7 Skin)
PS: If you want more Vista and Windows 7 applications and features on XP, then please also visit (Recommended):
"List of Most Vista and Windows 7 Applications for XP"
And "Windows 7 Applications, Tools, and Features on XP"
Hello Everybody, (Btw i have released them on Deviantart too: http://amirsyahrani....-2005-111784108 and included in my another thread "List of Most Vista (& Windows 7) Applications and Tools for Xp"too: http://www.winmatrix...showtopic=20480)
PS: If you want to link/share/reupload everything here, you're not required to ask me any permission. Do it for free...
Windows Media Center is an application designed to serve as a home-entertainment hub. It is included in Windows XP Media Center Edition and premium editions of Windows Vista (Vista Home Premium and Vista Ultimate) -> and latest builds of Windows 7 too. Since it was only available with Xp MCE 2005, Here are a Vista/7 like skin and Windows Media Center installer for Xp All Edition:
1) Vista (Or 7) Media Center Skin (Resource) for Xp MCE 2005 (Windows Media Center Application):
(Note: Windows 7 MCE GUI looks not much different with Vista version for me, except "the first setting page" when you configured MCE/WMP at first time).Well, if you already have Xp MCE 2005 or the converted Xp Pro/Home etc with Media Center application, and you'd like to make it like Vista/Windows 7 version (yeah, that's way it's called "Windows Customization" ), then you can also use this MCE skin (or theme) that i created for Xp MCE 2005. Unlike other MCE skins, this one change all media center features to be like Vista (Icons, GUI, infotip, splash, overlay background, file association and so on). Although it's not perfect yet, but hey still better than nothing at all for me. I have also patched ehshell.exe, ehui.dll, and ehdrop.dll (full) beside ehres.dll.
- Full patched MCE files resources: ehres.dll, ehdrop.dll, ehui.dll, ehshell.exe, RegisterMCEApp.exe (not only ehres.dll)- Full Vista Media Center GUI element/resources (Window, overlay background,icon, layout i.e as you can see the layout of back button and Windows ball which nearly similar with Vista MCE, item names, etc) like Vista.- Vista MCE + Some Associated Media Center File Type icons (dvr-ms, mcl, etc) etc like Vista.
- Change Media Center window and taskbar name from only "Media Center" to "Windows Media Center" and its icon similar with Vista.
- Change Media Center shortcuts from "Media Center" to "Windows Media Center" with comment/tooltip similar with Vista. Etc (Guide/Note included)
- Some minor GUI layouts will depend on your monitor resolution (best/optimized for 1024x768/1200x800 or better than "standard" 800x600). Updating your driver will give better result.
- Screenshot :
- Screenshot of My Xp "MultiMedia Center" Desktop Lol Too busy... :
)* Some goodies that were included on the desktop:
- MS Windows Media Center v4.0 Build 5.1.2715.2883 UR2 (Xp MCE 2005) with this Vista Skin Resource
- MS - Aquarium Wallpaper (Default MS Xp MCE 2005 Plus! wallpaper)
- MS - Windows Media Player 11 for Xp with
- WMP 11 Vista Skin Resource for WMP 11 Xp (Credits to ~pierdelp, Deviantart) : http://pierdelp.devi...for-XP-52704429
- VistaXp VS by Kol (Credits to Kol): http://www.winmatrix...showtopic=20424
- Transbar (Transparent Taskbar on Xp): http://www.home.no/aksoftware/
- Original Microsoft Windows Vista Sidebar for Xp + Gadgets by Ricktendo64 (Credits to MS, Rafael, Zoronax, VAIO/Alky, (for porting it to Xp), Ricktendo64 (for creating Sidebar installer/add on) + MS too): http://www.wincert.n...?showtopic=1442
- Tablet PC Input Panel for Xp Pro, Home, MCE, 2003 (Installer by me): http://www.winmatrix...showtopic=21199
- Windows Dancer for Xp, Vista, Windows 7 (Installer by me): http://www.winmatrix...showtopic=22526
- Original Vista / 7 style Flip 3d Icon (QuickLaunch) for Topdesk / Winflip etc by me: http://www.winmatrix...showtopic=19627
- Btw there's also a WMP 12 (Windows 7 Media Player) Skin Resource for WMP 11 Xp (Credits to Bogo and fediaFedia): http://fediafedia.de...or-XP-106429599
(Full credits to all authors)
This skin is only for Windows Media Center application in Windows Xp Media Center 2005 OS build 5.1.2715.2883 - Post Update Rollup 2 (for MCE Latest Build 5.1.2715.3011, also please read below). Please check the Media Center version by opening Media Center application -> Software version or manually right clicking the ehshell.exe -> file version. It should be version 5.1.2715.2883 (do not replace if different or usually it won't work!).
If your MCE version is lower, to update MCE to latest version 5.1.2715.2883, then you must have to install Update Rollup 2 for MCE 2005 KB900325 and April 2006 Update Rollup KB914548 for Xp Media Center 2005 which you can download them all from Microsoft for free (WGA validation required).
- Download Update Rollup 2 for MCE 2005 KB900325 :
- Download April 2006 Update Rollup KB914548 : http://www.microsoft...;displaylang=en
- Download Vista Skin for Xp MCE 2005 (Build 5.1.2715.2883):
File Name: Vista Skin For Xp MCE 2005.zip
Size: 9,73 Mb
UPDATED: -> Vista Skin For The Latest Xp MCE 2005 (Build 5.1.2715.3011):
(Please check your MCE version first before downloading) -> Thanx to our friend kth7 - WinMatrix for the info (please read his post below). I have updated/added new link of Vista /7 skin for MCE version 5.1.2715.3011 - Update rollup October 2006 (lol i thought it was included in Xp SP3, in fact it wasn't, even update rollup 2 is not too. Strange, seems that Xp SP3 only included MCE 2004 files as i have extracted medctr.cab and only found lower versions than UR2). UR2 (2006) > SP3 (2007)? Lol
Note: You can check which is your MCE version number you're running only by opening Media Center inside "Software Version Page" in Media Center 2005: Settings > General > About Media Center > Software Version. It's not same with the Windows OS version (some info i.e. OS / Applications name, major & minor version numbers, Service Packs/RTM if available, etc...) which you can just check it on e.g System Properties or Help menu (Btw just FYI to open "About Windows" dialog box on any Windows OS (98 or higher as far as i know): Run > type "winver" without quotes > Enter).
If your MCE version is lower, to update MCE to latest version 5.1.2715.3011, then you must have to install Update Rollup 2 for MCE 2005 KB900325 and April 2006 Update Rollup KB914548 (skip them if your version is already 5.1.2715.2883), and KB925766 for Xp Media Center 2005 (to get version 5.1.2715.3011) which you can download them all from Microsoft for free (WGA validation required).
- Download Update Rollup 2 for MCE 2005 KB900325 : http://www.microsoft...;displaylang=en
- Download April 2006 Update Rollup KB914548 : http://www.microsoft...;displaylang=en
- Download update Rollup October 2006 KB925766 : http://support.microsoft.com/kb/925766
and maybe some other latest MCE 2005 updates too (but at least you must already have them all above installed before using this MCE skin version 5.1.2715.3011).
Note: Again They are not included in SP3 for Xp, you have to download and install them all manually.
- Download Vista Skin For Xp MCE 2005 (Build 5.1.2715.3011):
File Name: Vista Skin For Xp MCE 2005 (Build 5.1.2715.3011).zip
Size: 9,73 Mb
MD 5: c70dd446bd4eed909378abe450a61f0b
- Vista-style CD/Flash Drive Autoplay Handler (Icon & Strings) for Xp MCE 2005 (Icon and string)
I have already included it (it's only a .reg file) on both Skin and Installer above/below, but if you had already previously download it, then just simply apply this registry entries:
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00 [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\AutoplayHandlers\CancelAutoplay\CLSID] "52D96F1B-33C6-40b6-9421-6652744B81A1"="" "621B5925-3992-4654-B2A3-00FF2D4015FC"="" [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\AutoplayHandlers\EventHandlers\PlayCDAudioOnArrival] "EHomeMusicDropTarget"="" [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\AutoplayHandlers\EventHandlers\PlayDVDMovieOnArrival] "EHomeVideoDropTarget"="" [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\AutoplayHandlers\EventHandlers\PlayVideoFilesOnArrival] "EHomeVideosHandler"="" [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\AutoplayHandlers\EventHandlers\ShowPicturesOnArrival] "EHomePhotosHandler"="" [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\AutoplayHandlers\Handlers\EHomeMusicDropTarget] @="" "Action"="Play Audio CD" "DefaultIcon"="%WinDir%\\ehome\\ehdrop.dll,-201" "FriendlyName"="eHome UserXP" "InvokeProgId"="EHomeDropTarget.EHomeMusicDropTarget" "InvokeVerb"="play" "Provider"="Windows Media Center" [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\AutoplayHandlers\Handlers\EHomePhotosHandler] @="" "Action"="View pictures" "DefaultIcon"="%WinDir%\\ehome\\ehdrop.dll,-201" "FriendlyName"="eHome UserXP" "InvokeProgId"="EHomeDropTarget.EHomePhotosHandler" "InvokeVerb"="play" "Provider"="Windows Media Center" [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\AutoplayHandlers\Handlers\EHomeVideoDropTarget] @="" "Action"="Play DVD Video" "DefaultIcon"="%WinDir%\\ehome\\ehdrop.dll,-205" "FriendlyName"="eHome UserXP" "InvokeProgId"="EHomeDropTarget.EHomeVideoDropTarget" "InvokeVerb"="play" "Provider"="Windows Media Center" [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\AutoplayHandlers\Handlers\EHomeVideosHandler] @="" "Action"="View videos" "DefaultIcon"="%WinDir%\\ehome\\ehdrop.dll,-201" "FriendlyName"="eHome UserXP" "InvokeProgId"="EHomeDropTarget.EHomeVideosHandler" "InvokeVerb"="play" "Provider"="Windows Media Center"Copy and paste it on Notepad then save it as .reg extension (e.g MCE.reg). Apply/double click it to merge into registry. For any version of MCE 2005 with or without this skin (again, i have already included it on both Vista Skin and Windows Media Center installer above/below). You can also edit the tip string yourself if you want.
2) Windows Media Center Installer for Xp Pro, Home, Tablet PC, 2003, All Editions (Lite, Installer, Uninstallable):
(I know people can convert Xp Pro/Home to Xp MCE 2005 in another way (or some Xp MCE 2005 torrents, maybe? Lol), but i'm here to make the process faster, easier, better, and shorter, not complicated especially for most end users). If you only have Xp Pro, Home, Tablet or Server 2003 without Media Center 2005, but you want to have Windows Media Center application like the ones in Xp MCE 2005, Vista, and Windows 7, then you can install it by using Windows Media Center installer that i created.
Only in 2 minutes, you'll get a working Windows Media Center application with full Vista GUI in your Xp Pro/Home/2003 plus some MCE powertoys, and it's uninstallable without messing up your system. Without any long and complicated steps and process at all. Again, unlike other usual ways, this installer will act like 3rd parties, that means it's uninstallable, easier, faster, and it won't hack any system file. It's also faster as you don't have to get "long time and complicated process" such as finding and extracting medctr.cab reformatting Windows OS, hacking registry, or booting with Bart PE CD etc etc. it's already included my Vista Skin above (the Vista skin would be installed by default).
- Full Vista GUI (even also some icons, tooltip, taskbar icon and windows name etc - Already included the above skin
.- Tweaked for Non MCE Machine (no any "annoying error message" of lack of MCE hardware anymore and so on, just like Vista Media Center).
- Instant/fast. Easy-Uninstallable (clean) without hacking any system file/changing/converting the OS.- Smaller size - Installs only Windows Media Center application, no any complicated process anymore.
- Etc + Included All above Vista MCE Skin features.
Prerequisites (For Windows Xp Pro, Home, Tablet PC with SP2 or SP3 and Windows Server 2003):
(user with administration rights who can install Windows Media Center).
1. Windows Media Player (WMP) version 10 or 11 -> Required.
2. .Net Framework 1.1 with SP1 (or maybe higher) -> Required. (Note: MCE add ons (Alarm Clock and Playlist Editor) need .Net Framework 2.0 (or higher) to work. It's recommended to install it too).
Note: Btw I have eliminate dependencies on .Net Framework 1.0 by changing/tweaking the runtime code, so you can only install .net Framework 1.1 (or maybe higher) -> so far so good. If there are still some errors, just use .net clean up tool (included) and/or you can install both .Net Framework 1.0 SP3 and .Net Framework 1.1 SP1 (like original Xp MCE)
3. Optional: Supported DVD/MPEG-2 Decoder for MCE (With DVD-Rom/Writer) and some 3rd party codecs -> Optional but recommended.
UPDATE: You can download and install free DVD Decoder (WMP and Media Center 2005 Compatible) Here and K-Lite MegaCodec Here (you can skip this step if you already have them installed). To know the DVD decoder that installed on your system is compatible or not with MCE then you can download and run free Windows Xp Decoder Checkup Utility
4. MCE compatible hardware such as decent DirectX9 VGA card with latest driver (optional)
- Download Windows Media Center Installer for Xp Pro, Home, Tablet PC, 2003, All Editions (Instant Installer, Uninstallable):
File Name: Windows Media Center for Xp Pro, Home, and 2003 Installer.zip
Size: 52,62 Mb
Note: Since you only have MCE application installed on Xp Pro (by using the installer above), but not the OS itself, then maybe some MCE add ons from MS (e.g http://www.microsoft.com/Downloads/details...displaylang=en) may or may not work since they need to recognize/validate the OS is really Xp MCE before they can run. If you go to Windows Update, you won't also get any updates for Windows Media Center since your OS is still recognized as Xp Pro (but with Windows Media Center already installed) as you can see no change in Xp system properties. No problem with WGA at all.
(However, if you prefer to convert the OS (Xp Pro/Home) to real Xp MCE 2005 OS, please read below:)
- Some antivirus and antispyware programs (rare) may flag the softwares as being infected/malware, although the application is perfectly safe and does not pose a threat to your system. This is called a "false positive". The term false positive is used when antivirus software wrongly classifies an innocuous ( inoffensive ) file as a virus. The incorrect detection may be due to heuristics or to an incorrect virus signature in a database.
)* Other Alternative Ways to Convert Xp Pro/Home/2003 to MCE 2005 OS:
Unlike Vista (Premium and Ultimate), Media Center app in Xp MCE 2005 was made the way more integrated into the OS itself (except my port, since i have ported, recompiled, and tweaked MCE app on Xp Pro like other common app, and i guarantee there's almost no difference). That's why you can't find Vista MCE OS like Xp MCE 2005, but only Windows Media Center application as well as WMP 11 in Vista Premium and Ultimate, and that's why i created installer of MCE port for Xp Pro/Home (to create an installer for MCE like other third parties, without integration within the OS itself.
Actually Xp MCE 2005 is a superset of Xp Pro, with no difference except MC app, MCE add ons, and optimization, and MCE 2005 has no domain joining feature unlike Xp Pro. If you really want to convert the OS (Xp Pro/Home) to real Xp MCE 2005 OS in order to get perfect Media Center app (with long time and some "difficult/complicated" steps/process though), the process/result is not installable/reversible (but it would really give the "most perfect result" since the OS would really become "real" Xp MCE 2005 OS + all MCE stuffs, possible optimization, driver supports, etc (see below)) and it will be recognized as Xp MCE 2005 by system properties, also MS (as you can always get update for MCE from Windows Update/Automatic Update since your converted OS has been recognized as Xp MCE 2005), i've found these ways too:
Download MCE 2005 Installer (MCE Converter) -> Credits to Orbit30 (Wincert/MSFN) also included mediactr.cab, plus.cab, sonic.cab and their .inf files etc after extracting it :
Convert Xp To Xp MCE 2005 OS without reinstalling Windows.(You still need Bart PE disk/load hive function from another OS to change MCE registry installed = 1 later + some next processes)
File Name: MCE_Installer.rar
Size: 254 Mb
extract and install/double click to run the first exe (MCE-INSTALLER.Orbit30.exe), wait till it ask to reboot. Before booting you'll also need to insert Bart PE bootable Disk/ERD Commander 2005 bootable CD (my fave) (You can search their ISO files on the internet for free then burn on DVD/CD. or at least just load hive from another OS if exists). Boot into the CD. Create/change registry by creating a dword named "installed" (without quotes) with dword value=1 in key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\WPA\MediaCenter (read below)
- Convert Xp Pro/Home/Tablet PC to Xp MCE 2005 without reinstalling the OS:
If you really want to convert Xp to real Xp MCE 2005 OS without reinstalling/reformatting the OS (it will be recognized as original MCE 2005 by MS and updated!). The process is not reversible/uninstallable (but again you will get "original" Xp MCE 2005 OS). And you can still apply above Vista Skin on MCE application later as well. Some necessary files were already included in the package (mediactr.cab, inf so on). You can download my package below. Here's the guide: (Thanks to neo.JoeJoe)
(1.)Install Microsoft .NET Framework 1.0
Install Microsoft .NET Framework 1.0.3705 and It's SP3.
Copy "Copy2Gac.exe" to "C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.0.3705" (Optional)
Install Microsoft .Net Framework 1.1 and its SP1.
Install WMP 10 or 11 (WMP 11 is better) and Supported MCE DVD Decoder such as ones from NVIDIA, Sonic, or WinDVD.
(2.)modify MCE registry
Open regedit.exe, goto HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\WPA,
create key named “MediaCenter”. Create DWORD Value named “Installed” in key and valued “1”.
you'll also need to insert Bart PE bootable Disk/ERD Commander 2005 bootable CD (my fave) (You can search their ISO files on the internet for free then burn on DVD/CD. or at least just load hive from another OS if exists). Bcoz the value is locked by Windows. Boot into the CD. Create/change registry by creating a dword named "installed" (without quotes) with dword value=1 in key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\WPA\MediaCenter (also create MediaCenter key if it doesn't exist):
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00 [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\WPA\MediaCenter] "Installed"=dword:00000001
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00 [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\WPA\MediaCenter] "Installed"=dword:00000001Installed value in MediaCenter of XP retail/OEM OS must be Dword Value. “Installed” value in “MediaCenter” of XP (VLK Ver) OS must be String Value. And “Installed” value in “MediaCenter” key in all server 2003 OS must be string values. Because there are no WinXP MCE VLK and Win 2003 MCE versions. You can’t login if these values are DWORD!
If there is “Installed” valued “0” in “MediaCenter” in your Windows XP, you can not modify it in current OS.
You must use “load HIVE” function in another OS (in another PC/partition) like this: Click HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE.
From the File menu, choose Load Hive,
Navigate to the registry location on your OS such as c:\windows\system32\config\system,name it “temp”.
after you modified the value to “1”,click temp,choose “unload HIVE” to save it.
You can also use Bart PE bootable disc or my fave: ERD Commander 2005 CD
(google them or download Here )
(3.)Install Media Center
Get medctroc.inf, plusoc.inf, sonic.inf (all included) .copy them to C:\windows\inf\ ; then Run following commands to install Media Center
Open Command Prompt (Run -> Type "CMD" without Quotes) or directly double click"MCE.cmd" to run the MCE commands (included).
Install Media Center (Need MEDIACTR.CAB): rundll32 setupapi.dll,InstallHinfSection Freestyle 128 medctroc.inf Install Windows Digital Media Enhancement (Need plus.cab): rundll32 setupapi.dll,InstallHinfSection PlusGold 128 plusoc.inf rundll32 setupapi.dll,InstallHinfSection PlusSpac 128 plusoc.inf rundll32 setupapi.dll,InstallHinfSection PlusDavn 128 plusoc.inf rundll32 setupapi.dll,InstallHinfSection PlusNatr 128 plusoc.inf rundll32 setupapi.dll,InstallHinfSection PlusMpix 128 plusoc.inf rundll32 setupapi.dll,InstallHinfSection PlusDancer 128 plusoc.inf rundll32 setupapi.dll,InstallHinfSection PlusParty 128 plusoc.inf rundll32 setupapi.dll,InstallHinfSection PlusAudio 128 plusoc.inf rundll32 setupapi.dll,InstallHinfSection PlusCDLM 128 plusoc.inf rundll32 setupapi.dll,InstallHinfSection PlusTheme 128 plusoc.inf Install Sonic DVD and CD Burning (Need sonic.cab): rundll32 setupapi.dll,InstallHinfSection SonicDVDandCDBurning 128 sonic.infNote: After executing command, it will open new dialog window and ask you to navigate/browse to where you placed mediactr.cab, sonic.cab, and plus.cab. Follow and do it.
4) update your MCE 2005 to UR2 (Update Rollup 2). Download it from Microsoft Download Center for free (also with other higher MCE updates if available).
1.Please open full Video and Audio acceleration in Windows Server 2003
Create a folder named "ehome" if it doesnt exist on Server 2003. Copy "CUSTSAT.dll" to it.
2.this way also can be applied to Windows XP/2003 x64 Edition, Both “Installed” must be string values
3.if you have MCE remote control,MCE remote keyboard U can use Drives for XP in Windows Server 2003.
4.Can not install MCE upgrades in Windows Server 2003 because the OS is not WinXP,and there're some other problems by this cause.
5.Can not install Update Rollup 2 for MCE2005 when "Installed" is string value.so when you use XP VOL, you can expand "WindowsXPMediaCenter2005-KB900325-XXX.exe",and install upgrades listed in "paths.ini" manual.
- Download Xp to Xp MCE 2005 OS transformation package (no need to reinstall the OS), above guide included: also included mediactr.cab, plus.cab, sonic.cab and their .inf files etc after extracting it :
Name : Convert_Xp_to_Xp_MCE_2005.zip
Size : 165 Mb
Mirror download link: http://depositfiles....files/e36w3x9ja
- 4Shared: http://www.4shared.c..._2005_Pack.html
Note: The process is not reversible/uninstallable though...
After you have converted Xp to Xp MCE 2005, then please download and install update rollup 2 for MCE 2005 KB900325 and April 2006 Update Rollup KB914548 and update Rollup October 2006 KB925766 (All download links above). Then you can apply my Vista skin later as well. Please note unlike original MCE 2005 you will still be able to join domain in this converted MCE OS (without extender). If you can't download from the links above, then you can download them (both, Media Center and Tablet PC packages) on my thread Wincert HERE (please read Post #1 and #7) seems that bcoz of "hotlink protection" by Wincert so you can only download them there (don't worry, you're not required to register or login on Wincert, but again just visit my thread there on Wincert). Thanks to my friend Ricktendo64 for the info.
MCE 2005 Add on (credits to Ricktendo64 Wincert): also included mediactr.cab, plus.cab, sonic.cab and their .inf files etc after extracting it :
(must be integrated with Xp set up CD first as add on (by Nlite) or won't work, you have to reinstall Windows using it), so the OS would become "real" Xp MCE 2005 OS + some MCE stuffs (see below):
Follow the next instruction there. However, if you still want to get a working Windows Media Center with Vista GUI in instant, fastest and easiest way in Xp Pro, Home, and 2003, it's also fastest and easiest to use my Windows Media Center installer above (tweaked and smaller installer size), and it's uninstallable too without hacking/converting your OS at all.
* Some Other Tutorials about converting Xp Pro, Home, 2003 to MCE 2005 OS:
1) Tutorial : Port Media Center (and also Tablet PC programs!) to non-media center Windows XP or Xp Pro/Home (Credits to neo.joejoe, JoeJoe):
2) Installing Media Center 2005 on WinXP Home or Pro and avoiding a clean install (Credits to tmksnyder, The Green Button):
3) Media Center 2005 on a Windows 2003 Server (Credits to Cactus, The Green Button):
To get Vista /7 GUI in MCE, you can still apply my Vista skin above on it
Again, instead of the "complicated" ways above, you can just use my Windows Media Center installer in instant, fastest and easiest way and it's uninstallable too without hacking/converting your OS at all, in only about 2 minutes lol.
3) Other MCE Stuffs for Xp, Vista, Windows 7 (Windows All) :
For Xp, 2003, Vista, 2008, Windows 7:
If you still wanted to get some MCE goodies which were available with Xp MCE 2005 (Windows Plus! MCE, Dancer, Screensavers etc) on Xp, please visit my previous thread for more info (recommended) : http://www.winmatrix...showtopic=22526
- Screenshot :
Or use these direct links:
1) Windows Dancer only :
Size: only 7,77 Mb
- Screenshot :
Download Scooby Doo Dancer Port (Windows Dancer must be installed first):
File Name: Scooby Doo for Windows Dancer MCE 2005.zip
Size: Only 2,17 Mb
2) Windows Plus! Digital Media Enhancements - Full Package :(contains Windows Dancer, Windows Audio Converter, Windows CD Label Maker, and Windows Party Mode):
Size: only 23,5 Mb
3) Additional stuffs from Xp MCE 2005 - All Original Screensavers : (patched/ported to other Windows OSes, yeah actually you couldn't run them on other OSes without patching them too as well as the apps):
Aquarium, Davinci, Nature, and Space, Require minimal 128 Mb supported DirectX9 VGA card. Btw Aquarium has been my favorite Windows screensaver (till now)
MD 5: df85eb6fb6a47cd52aa18d7b31c0e7b8
Size: only 9,7 Mb
(Extract and copy them to System32 folder)
- Screenshot of Aquarium Screensaver ported from Xp MCE 2005 to Xp, Vista, 7 (My Fave) :
4) Original MCE 2005 Themes (Skin, Cursors, Wallpapers etc) for Xp/2003 All:
Size: 24,9 Mb
5) Vista Movie Maker 2.6 for Xp enhanced with Plus! MCE 2005 Movie Maker addon, ability to edit dvr-ms files etc-> You can also install it on Vista (e.g Vista Basic) and Windows 7 too.
Size: only 9,6 Mb
6) Media Center Solitaire Powertoys game ported to Xp Pro and Vista: (thanks to Cephead - WinMatrix)-> Actually you don't need to have MCE for playing it, full screen Windows game with MCE background:
Size: 2,24 Mb
- Screenshot of Media Center Solitaire:
7) Original Vista Sample MCE Recorded TV (dvr-ms: Apollo 13, Jewels of Caribbean, Vertigo):
4) Added: How to Patch the files and Create a Skin for your Xp MCE 2005 (Simplest Guide):
So i'm just sharing my little knowledge and experience here. You can also make your own resource skin especially if i.e your MCE 2005 has different version/language or you want something "different" or maybe even better than mine here (i.e res from latest build of Windows 7 Beta maybe)
Btw please don't forget to share it on WinMatrix too, Thanx alot
List of Patched Files (MCE executables and resource libraries) :
- ehshell.exe (main MCE executable, icon and string)
- RegisterMCEApp.exe (MCE app registration exe)
- ehres.dll (MCE GUI resource and string library)
- ehdrop.dll (MCE drop target module library, some file type icon and handler)
- ehui.dll (MCE rendering engine library, MCE icon on tasknar minimized window)
- Resource Hacker or any binary res editor
- MyThemesStudio app and themes 4 advanced MCE ehres.dll editor (optional)
- Adobe Photoshop, icon 2 PNG converter or vice versa etc
- Powerful text file editor (UltraEdit) or at least Notepad
- .Net framework 1.1 or higher installed
- Ildasm.exe (MS IL disassembler) from .Net Framework SDK/Visual Studio
- Ilasm (MS IL assembler)
- sn.exe (.Net Strong Name Validation tool)
- MSVCR71.dll (MS C runtime library) for runtime dependency
- Replacer or WFP switcher (you can do it in safe mode too)
Patching ehres.dll, ehui.dll, ehdrop dll: You can patch/hack (decompile) them as common resource libraries using Reshack to replace some their resources (icon, WAV, bitmap, png, string etc). Take them especially ehres.dll from Vista / or Windows 7 beta OS in C:\Windows\ehome folder, or from my patched files as your skin templates. Edit (you can edit them i.e PNG by using Photoshop etc) and replace, compile and save them.
ehres.dll -> Most MCE GUI window resource icon and string,
ehdrop.dll -> file type icon association (you can edit them in registry though)
ehui.dll -> MCE icon on taskbar mode (minimized window) and systray
You can also edit some resource as you want, i.e some PNGs by photoshop. Another easier and maybe better way to patch ehres.dll yourself is using MyThemesMCE application: http://www.downloads...d...44&Itemid=3 + some free themes as the basic templates for your own MCE skin later. Even it's better/easier than any binary editor for editing ehres.dll resources only.
Patching ehshell.exe and RegisterMCEapp.exe: Since they are also .net assemblies, you can't treat them as usual PE win32 executables or libraries in usual way, bcoz their code can be tampered too and won't work anymore. You need ilasm to dissambly them before, edit. and re-assembly.
Decompile ehshell.exe (as .net resource) by using ildasm.exe:
1) Open ildasm.exe (it should be in one directory with msvcr71.dll).
2) Copy the "ehshell.exe" file from "C:\Windows\eHome" directory to a temporary directory )i.e C:\temp).
3) By using ildasm Open the "ehshell.exe" file from wherever you put it. Go to File > Dump and in the options dialog that appears afterwards make sure only 'Dump IL Code' and 'Expand try/catch' and "show progress Bar" (optional) checkboxes are checked.
Click ok and save the resulting IL file in a separate directory as "ehshell.il", wait for finishing.
4) Go to temp directory, you will find 2 new files: ehshell.il (Intermediate Language/IL Program logic, Its size should be about 30MB or more (depends on the file version).) and ehshell.res (resource) please uncheck "Hide extensions for known files" before in Windows Explorer to recognize/separate them easier).
5) Open ehshell.res by using resource hacker (or whatever resource editor you have) as .res file/all files not PE, In resouce tree, replace the icon resouce with Vista one (you can take it from original Vista ehshell.exe) etc and change/rename the resource named "0" below the ?? (Icon group resource) and call it
NEUTRALSTRINGS.XMLafter that save it back.
6) Open ehshell.il by using any text file editor (e.g. Notepad, Wordpad, or powerful UltraEdit -> My favorite), and only find (by using find/search function) string
"Media Center" (with quotes!)
and change them all (manually one by one - its recommended dont use replace all function) to
"Windows Media Center"
(This will change the taskbar title bar (minimized window) from "Media Center" to "Windows Media Center" like Vista. By patching ehui.dll too, you also get Vista icon on it. Lol that's it
Save it back as previous/default (UTF-8 format, never use ANSI)
7) Recompile ehshell.exe:
Open command prompt (run-> type "cmd") and execute ilasm (should be in same directory/folder with ehshell.res, ehshell.il, and msvcr71.dll) with this command line parameter:
ilasm /resource:ehshell.res /exe ehshell.il
or simply create, copy, and execute a .bat file in the same folder then execute it. After long time assembly process (few minutes) about 30Mb in size, Please make sure you have seen the created ehshell.exe with new Vista Icon (or refresh the folder).
(Note: This icon is useful to get "100% Vista Flavor" though it may not be much useful in MCE UI (you can still manipulate the old Xp MCE Icon shortcut with Vista before). But if you use e.g Application launcher Gadget for Vista Sidebar ported to Xp, you'll find it's useful since it links only to executables, not their shortcuts, to be perfect "Vistaized"...
8) Last steps/finishing:
Copy all patched MCE files (ehshell.exe, ehres.exe, ehdrop.exe, ehui.dll) + sn.exe + msvcr71.dll in safe mode or using Replacer etc to ehome directory (%WinDir%\eHome) and replace the old files (dont forget to create back-up of them b4!).
Then same simple step above to disable strong name validation error:
open command prompt and execute sn.exe by using this command in ehome folder (to disable .net assembly strong name validation for ehshell.exe, or it won't work since it's been hacked by us!):
cd %windir%\ehome sn -Vr ehshell.exeor only
sn -Vr *(for all .net executables, but i prevented this selectively because of security issue, you can find other executables later) or simply create the bat file with that, copy, and execute it in the directory
You can do the same way with registerMCEapp.exe (it's optional though, or unnecessary)
Or you can also create a reg file that contains this entry for them (would give similar result):
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00 [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\StrongName\Verification\ehshell,31BF3856AD364E35] [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\StrongName\Verification\RegisterMCEApp,31BF3856AD364E35]
9) After that, copy "Windows Media Center" shortcut (Windows Media Center.lnk) to:
Start Menu : %AllUsersProfile%\Start Menu or default value "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu" All Programs : %AllUsersProfile%\Start Menu\Programs or default value "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs" Media Center Program Folder: %AllUsersProfile%\Start Menu\Programs\Accessories\Media Center or default value "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Accessories\Media Center" QuickLaunch : %UserProfile%\Application Data\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch or default value "C:\Documents and Settings\[Your user name]\Application Data\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch" (You must have to show hidden files and folders before: Windows Explorer->Tools->Folder Options->View, then check "Show hidden files and folders". You can restore them back to default setting later.) Desktop (optional/additional) : %AllUsersProfile%\Desktop or %UserProfile%\Desktop default value "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Desktop" or "C:\Documents and Settings\[Your user name]\Desktop"You can also create the Vista Windows Media Center Shortcuts by yourself there in every place above:
Right Click empty area -> New -> Shorcut (or right click ehshell.exe, "create shortcut" then edit it as below):
Name : Windows Media Center (will be Windows Media Center.lnk) Location (Target) : %windir%\ehome\ehshell.exe (or C:\Windows\ehome\ehshell.exe by default) Start in : %windir%\ehome Comment : Opens your home entertainment option for digital and on-demand media, including TV, movies, music and pictures. Run : Normal Window (by default)Note: Comment infotip resource is also from ehres.dll (ehres.dll,-116) in MCE setup (in medctroc.inf)
Then also delete all old MCE shortcuts (Media Center.lnk) there. Congrats, now you also have Vista-like shortcut (Windows Media Center.lnk) with its name and comment/infotip to launch Windows Media Center, with Vista taste/flavor. Icon should be automatically linked to default ehshell.exe by default (ehshell.exe,0).
10) Optional: "Optimizing MCE" (Only in Old/Low End Machine - Preventing any error of it on Low End Machine).
- Decompile ehshell.exe by using the above way (ildasm.exe)
- After that, open ehshell.il file by using any text file editor/Notepad (again i recommend UltraEdit, it's awesome app for editing text and scripting)
Go to line 567908 (usually will be different address on another version/build) or only search for the second #StartupError.Title" string (without quotes-This is a load string function for error message) and find some routines like below:
// Code size 161 (0xa1) .maxstack 9 .locals (string V_0, string V_1, class ServiceBus.UIFramework.Dialog V_2, class [EhCM]eHome.UI.Library.DialogMenuItem V_3) IL_0000: call class ServiceBus.UIFramework.PageBasedUCPService ServiceBus.UIFramework.PageBasedUCPService::get_DefaultUCP() IL_0005: pop IL_0006: call class ServiceBus.UIFramework.StringTable ServiceBus.UIFramework.UCPService::get_StringTable() IL_000b: ldstr "#StartupError.Title" IL_0010: ldnull IL_0011: callvirt instance string ServiceBus.UIFramework.StringTable::ProcessLocalisableString(string, class ServiceBus.UIFramework.XmlControl)
OK, look at this string above:
IL_0000: call class ServiceBus.UIFramework.PageBasedUCPService ServiceBus.UIFramework.PageBasedUCPService::get_DefaultUCP()
Change it all to:
So the entire lines will become:
// Code size 161 (0xa1) .maxstack 9 .locals (string V_0, string V_1, class ServiceBus.UIFramework.Dialog V_2, class [EhCM]eHome.UI.Library.DialogMenuItem V_3) IL_0000: ret IL_0005: pop IL_0006: call class ServiceBus.UIFramework.StringTable ServiceBus.UIFramework.UCPService::get_StringTable() IL_000b: ldstr "#StartupError.Title" IL_0010: ldnull IL_0011: callvirt instance string ServiceBus.UIFramework.StringTable::ProcessLocalisableString(string, class ServiceBus.UIFramework.XmlControl)
That's it. save and recompile it as the above way (step 6 & 9). Next time while you're opening Media Center on old machine, you won't get any error anymore, and it will load quicker. (But you don't have to do this on a capable/new machine, it will be useless and reduced)
11) Optional/Not Necessary In Most Cases -> (Not necessary for converted and original Xp MCE 2005 OS) Porting MCE executable (ehshell.exe) to work on any non Xp MCE 2005 OS (Xp Pro, Home, Tablet PC, 2003, Home Server, even maybe Vista Basic) as well as my Windows Media Center installer :
OK, Here are the steps (Just for your information/knowledge):
- After dissasemblying ehshell.exe by ildasm, open ehshell.il by using above way (text editor) then find string "StartupError.NotFreestylePID" (without quotes), using Find and Replace function, then you should see the routines like this:
IL_0019: call int32 [EhCM]eHome.Native.Win32::GetSystemMetrics(int32) IL_001e: brtrue.s IL_002d IL_0020: ldc.i4.1 IL_0021: stloc.0 IL_0022: ldstr "#StartupError.NotFreestylePID" IL_0027: starg.s id IL_0029: br.s- look at "GetSystemMetrics" function call string, In MSDN here, it's just the function to retrieves various system metrics and system configuration settings (Note: System metrics are the dimensions (widths and heights) of Windows display elements). But here it's actually an internal function to recognize the OS is MCE or not (e.g Xp Pro, Home, etc).
So i just reversed the call (make it would recognize non Xp MCE as Xp MCE, but if you used it on original Xp MCE, of course the load string function (below that) would give error message (small window) like "Media Center only works in Windows Xp MCE" or something stupid like that, (So it's just optional, as you can also totally disable and skip this step on Xp MCE 2005)
change IL_001e: brtrue.s IL_002d to IL_001e: brfalse.s IL_002d
save and recompile it as usual as the above way (step 6 & 9). Done.
Thanks and Credits to Microsoft, Rafael Rivera and The Green Button , my good friend Ricktendo64 for his kind permission so i can use most of his MCE skin/ehres.dll resource for my own one and N1K (Wincert), Orbit30, MyThemesStudio app (PCoverhaulers)->for Vista style skin template, and of course mainly the coolest forum WinMatrix with all Winmatrixians here, thanx alot i love you all hehe. Also special thanx to our friend Kyosan (WinMatrix) for inspiring me. And very sorry 4 my very bad English and layout.
5) Recommended Links for Xp Users:
- The best internet forum ever for Xp, Vista, and Windows 7 MCE users -> The Green Button (very recommended) :or just Google it:
Since Windows 7 (Beta) is just updated version of Vista at least for now (it still has Vista features but much more enhanced), alternatively you can still use many more replacements for Vista features on Xp. Please visit some of my own threads on WinMatrix below:
- List of Vista Application and Features for Xp (Recommended): http://www.winmatrix...showtopic=20480
- List of Windows 7 Application and Features for Xp (Recommended):
- Please Visit my 4shared - Sharing Download page to get more Vista / 7 stuffs for Xp etc for free (Recommended):
Finally Long Live Xp and Cya! Sorry if my English sucks...
Alternative FTP Mirrors/FTP Links: -> Thanks to N1K from Wincert
you can also download some of them directly from 4shared Folder like above as usual or from FTP links by visiting My similar thread on Wincert too
- Alternative Great Windows 7 Style MCE Skin for XP MCE by Ricktendo64:
Please continue to read My Post #3 below for more info and so on...
Edited by AMIRZ, 02 January 2010 - 01:39 PM.