• Please log in to reply
124 replies to this topic

#101 aerosciurida

aerosciurida

My First Post!

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 09 November 2010 - 04:15 AM

Went through all the steps. It doesn't work. Would very much like help, since if this doesn't work, I have no WMP at all.

#102 eveningsky

eveningsky

My First Post!

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 28 December 2010 - 11:26 PM

To all those who also experienced problems and didn't backup, system restore!!!

#103 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*

Posted 10 February 2011 - 06:03 AM

Damn im gettin mad because my Take Ownership command doesnt work! I cant control the folders! What i should do?

#104 Guest_Snow Monk_*

Guest_Snow Monk_*

Posted 27 February 2011 - 09:35 PM

Yeah, so i've had this working for a while (WMP 11 on W7), and its great. the changing and everything worked fine. but i need to update my cpu, and when i do so, it resets the media player, so when (after updating, and restarting) i start wmp, it revers back to 'set up wmp12', and if i continue, wmp 12 reinstals itself on my cpu....

is there a fix yet around this, is or is one or the other, wmp 11 on w7 without updating....

#105 Guest_umair_*

Guest_umair_*

Posted 19 April 2011 - 06:14 AM

you can use enhancement->play speed setting, for fast forward in media player 12.

#106 David Tanner Guinn

David Tanner Guinn

My First Post!

• 1 posts

Posted 21 May 2011 - 10:01 PM

I hate to bump this, but I am having only one problem with Windows Media Player 11. When, I downgraded for 64 bit, I can't open files regularly without a Server Execution Error. I have to open them via Windows Media Player to get the files to play. Anyone know a fix for this?

#107 Guest_lovemyvq_*

Guest_lovemyvq_*

Posted 23 June 2011 - 01:19 PM

I just did the downgrade (or upgrade depending on how you feel about 12) and when I restarted and opened wmp 11 for the first time I got a plugin error. Something about it not being shut down properly and all my plugins are disabled. Is there a way to get the plugins back so I can use it?

#108 Tim De Baets

Tim De Baets

New WinMatrixian

• 4 posts

Posted 25 June 2011 - 02:48 PM

I just did the downgrade (or upgrade depending on how you feel about 12) and when I restarted and opened wmp 11 for the first time I got a plugin error. Something about it not being shut down properly and all my plugins are disabled. Is there a way to get the plugins back so I can use it?

You can re-enable plug-ins by checking them in the Tools - Plug-ins menu (press Ctrl+M if you don't see the Tools menu).

#109 Zachariah Lloyd

Zachariah Lloyd

My First Post!

• 1 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 01:11 PM

I also do not appreciate Media Player 12 and would like to downgrade to 11 but after following you steps line for line when I try to install the older version I get errors saying there were problems copying certain files. I did the take ownership of as many files as it would do but there were several files in the folders you list that did not offer an option to take ownership and those are the files that I believe are causing the hold up. The one that comes to mind immediately was the setup_wm.exe file which does not give you the option of taking ownership. Should I just click ignore on these files?? Any advice would be golden and thanks in advance!!
zlloyd1

#110 Suresh Doraiswamy

Suresh Doraiswamy

My First Post!

• 1 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 07:43 AM

Hey, What is going on here? I downloaded the windows Media Player 11 Installer and when I try to install it, Norton Antivirus prevents the installation with the reason that this program contains a Trojan that collects all the Keystrokes and sends it back to a particular website.

How come such programs are made available on this website????

#111 _akier_

_akier_

Coming.

• 693 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 11:55 AM

HOLY! PLEASE DO NOT RESURRECT DEAD THREADS.

#112 Tim De Baets

Tim De Baets

New WinMatrixian

• 4 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 10:35 PM

Hey, What is going on here? I downloaded the windows Media Player 11 Installer and when I try to install it, Norton Antivirus prevents the installation with the reason that this program contains a Trojan that collects all the Keystrokes and sends it back to a particular website.

Some virus scanners indeed detect the ZIP file as a virus/trojan. I don't know if this is a false positive or not, but I would definitely *not* recommend using it to downgrade WMP until this is cleared out.

#113 Guest_Raba_*

Guest_Raba_*

Posted 14 April 2012 - 03:26 PM

i don't know how did you do it but it WORKS!!
i gave this media player 12 a chance for more than one year but i never liked it. the performance is poor and the design as well.
i just installed it and it works soooo goood. i thought it is only look and feel change but i checked the about this and it says windows media player version 11!!

thanks a lot man

#114 Andrea Borman

Andrea Borman

New WinMatrixian

• 4 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 09:03 AM

I have got WMP 11 for Windows 7 installed on Windows 7 and Windows 8.WMP 11 works on Windows 8 as well as Windows 7.And it works very well. The only downside is that the Visualisations in WMP 11 don't work on Windows 7 or Windows 8. But they do on WMP11 on Windows Vista and on WMP 11 in Windows XP.

It is the same with the WMP 11 taskbar toolbar.It works in Windows XP and Windows Vista but not on Windows 7 and Windows 8. And I could not find a way to fix this to get visualisations or the toolbar working in WMP 11 on Windows 7 or Windows 8.

But apart from that WMP 11 is working on Windows 7 and Windows 8 and it plays all video and audio files.Just like it does on Windows XP and Windows Vista.And of course WMP 11 is much nicer than WMP 12.

But why don't you make a WMP 9 or WMP 10 for Windows 7?

A lot of people like those better than WMP 11 or 12. But Windows won't let you install WMP 9 or WMP 10 on Windows Vista,Windows 7, or Windows 8. So why not make a WMP 9 and WMP 10 for Windows 7? Andrea Borman.

#115 Lord Devrexster

Lord Devrexster

Hardcore Winmatrixcian

• 999 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 09:55 AM

i dont have the files for wmp9 or wmp10 and i dont have xp anymore so not possible for me to do it. i am sorry :(

@people who are shouting "Virus".....stop using antivirus programs with HUGE PUSSIES....thank u

@people who just want the deskband on Win 7 check this thread -> http://www.winmatrix...2-mini-toolbar/
you dont need to downgrade

#116 Andrea Borman

Andrea Borman

New WinMatrixian

• 4 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 04:40 PM

i dont have the files for wmp9 or wmp10 and i dont have xp anymore so not possible for me to do it. i am sorry :(

@people who are shouting "Virus".....stop using antivirus programs with HUGE PUSSIES....thank u

@people who just want the deskband on Win 7 check this thread -> http://www.winmatrix...2-mini-toolbar/
you dont need to downgrade

Oh that's a real shame. In England you can no longer buy Windows XP or Windows Vista laptops you can only buy Windows 7.Unless you buy a second hand or reconditioned laptop from a shop that sells them.

I got my Windows Vista home Basic laptop a month ago, from a shop that sells second hand computers.And it is working well. I would have preferred a netbook,instead of a big heavy laptop, but still.It has Windows Vista 32 bit and I still have my Windows XP netbooks. And with those I can transfer program files like Windows Mail onto Windows 7 for example. And so I can run most Windows XP programs on Windows 7.

But when I tried transferring the WMP 9 and WMP 10 program files from Windows XP onto Windows 7 it did not work.Windows blocked the program. And I am not clever enough to how how to hack or edit the files to make WMP 9 or 10 work on Windows 7.

But maybe you could. WMP 11 download from the Microsoft website won't install or run on Windows 7. But your version of WMP 11 does.Because you got it working.

I am sure the same thing could be done for WMP 9 and 10 to create an installer for Windows 7.
But I cannot do it. Andrea Borman.

Edited by Andrea Borman, 13 June 2012 - 04:41 PM.

#117 Guest_si. m_*

Guest_si. m_*

Posted 03 July 2012 - 09:20 PM

I followed the info on the first page and has worked a dream :)

I managed to take control of windows 7 finally and got rid of a media player that never worked properly.
The hack to take control sticks two fingers up at the trustedinstaller problem of owning your computer programs, and allows you to clean and control the rubbish you dont need.

And now i have eleven back again:)

si.

#118 Redd

Redd

New WinMatrixian

• 7 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 12:23 PM

How do I install the 32bit version in a machine with x64 Win7?

I followed the steps to install the x64 and everything went smoothly. However, whenever I open a music or video file, Windows loads it the the 32 bit version, which I hadn't downgraded, and trying the change the file associations with the 64bit version only results in them being re-set to the 32 version. So I renamed C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Media Player and copied the WMP folder from a 32bit install of Vista to see if it would run, and id didn't saying that it expected to run a newer version (even though it had no problems running the 64bit version of WMP11). So I downloaded the Windows 7 installer for the 32bit version of WMP11 and followed all steps, but the installer gave me a error message saying that it failed to replace some files in System32 and the en-US folder in System32 and the WMP folder, even if I renamed or deleted the original already existent files it was trying to overwrite. I thought "I probably won't matter, as I already replaced those files when I installed the 64bit version" and, so I went on with the installation, clicking Ignore every time I got the message. I rebooted, and when I tried to load the newly installed 32bit version, I got the following error message:

"Windows Media Player is not installed properly and must be reinstalled.
Do you want to install the Player from the Microsoft Web site?"

I tried installing it again the installed failed to replace the once again, so I resorted to installed it on a XP install in a virtual machine (as you have more control over system files on XP) and was successful, so I followed by copying the newly installed files from the XP VM to my Win7 install. Rebooted again, and got again the previously error message.

I'm ready to rip my hair out (insert nonexistant rage emoticon here). What do I do now!?

#119 Redd

Redd

New WinMatrixian

• 7 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 04:25 AM

I managed to make the media files open with the 64 bit WMP1 install by tweaking the Registry, but there's still a problem: they only open if WMP is closed when I double click the file. If it's already, I get a "Server execution failed error message".

#120 Lord Kronus

Lord Kronus

My First Post!

• 1 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 04:14 PM

Hi
Installation ended successfully and wmp11 works(win7, 32-bit), but there are 2 strange things:
- if I choose any file in playlist, switching to another takes 5-10 seconds(!) and its too slow
- if I choose any file in folder on pc->right click->add to wmp list, there is always server execution failed error message. The same story with double click on mp3 file.

any solutions?

Want to comment?

Register or Sign In to go completely ad-free!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: wmp