Photo
* * * * * 8 votes

Windows Media Player 11 for Windows 7

wmp

• Please log in to reply
124 replies to this topic

#41 Culprit

Culprit

I live my life a quarter mile at a time.

• 817 posts

Posted 12 September 2009 - 07:22 PM

nice post thanks for the information

#42 Guest_Graeme West_*

Guest_Graeme West_*

Posted 15 October 2009 - 03:02 PM

Have been looking at retail versions of W7. I wonder if buying an ā€˜Nā€™ version will avoid having to go to the trouble of un-installing WMP12 before installing WMP11 ? Presumable the ā€˜Nā€™ versions still allow you to install WMP if you choose even if it is not bundled in.

#43 Guest_Mr.teeps_*

Guest_Mr.teeps_*

Posted 17 October 2009 - 05:42 PM

I keep getting an error which I have a link to a screenshot of. I changed ownership etc. I am running the final release version of win7, not the beta or rc.
Error Image

Thanks in advance.

#44 Guest_mafia_emu_*

Guest_mafia_emu_*

Posted 28 October 2009 - 03:57 AM

I followed this, and The visualizations in wmp 11 aren't working for some reason?
Can anyone help me? I'm using the 64 bit version of Windows 7 Ultimate build 7600.

#45 Guest_FlyingDoc_*

Guest_FlyingDoc_*

Posted 01 November 2009 - 10:42 AM

Hi..thanks for the brilliant work. I hated wmp12 for it's lack of Advanced Tag Editing. However "Find Album Info" option is not working on the downgraded WMP11. Did anybody else have this problem, and can it be solved? Any help will be much appreciated.

#46 Guest_Windows 7 RTM_*

Guest_Windows 7 RTM_*

Posted 01 November 2009 - 07:07 PM

I keep getting an error which I have a link to a screenshot of. I changed ownership etc. I am running the final release version of win7, not the beta or rc.
Error Image

Thanks in advance.

I'm getting the exact same error with the release version of Windows 7. I also tried to restore WMP 12, but it won't start. "Windows Media Player has stopped working".

Anyone get this working on the Release Windows 7? How do I get any version back?

:(

#47 Vuyolicious

Vuyolicious

New WinMatrixian

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 06 November 2009 - 03:56 AM

I think I may have found a solution to the problem of double clicking a file to open it (or at least until someone can come up with a better solution).

If you open up regedit and navigate to:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\WMP11.AssocFile.MP3\shell\Play\command

(I chose WMP11.AssocFile.MP3 because I wanted to play mp3 files in WMP, there are other folders for each file type, you would have to do this for all the file types you wish to use with WMP), you will see 2 entries. One is "(Default)" and the other is "DelegateExecute". You need to delete the DelegateExecute entry (make sure you create a backup of the registry first). You might have problems with deleting it due to permissions, if that is the case just right-click the registry folder, go to permissions and take ownership.

I did this and now I can double click on my mp3 files and they play in WMP11 no problem! Well, the only problem is that I still cannot select multiple files and have them all added to the now playing list, still gives me "Server Execution Failed" error when I right-click a file and go to "Add to Windows Media Player List". Hopefully someone can figure out how to do this, I really use that feature a lot.

#48 Lord Devrexster

Lord Devrexster

Hardcore Winmatrixcian

• 999 posts

Posted 06 November 2009 - 06:39 AM

@Vuyolicious

What happens when u delete this entry ??

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\WMP11.AssocFile.MP3\shell\Enqueue\command\DelegateExecute

Since I dont have this problem so only u can help me figure this out. Please try it and report back and I will cook up a quick registry script to fix this issue.

#49 Vuyolicious

Vuyolicious

New WinMatrixian

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 06 November 2009 - 12:48 PM

When I delete that entry I get the following error message:

Attached File  Untitled.jpg   32.32K   57 downloads

I then tried adding the following to the default entry in the location you suggested:

C:\Program Files\Windows Media Player\wmplayer.exe /Enqueue "%L"

but when I select multiple files and click "Add to Windows Media Player list", it only plays the last file in the selection, the one I right-clicked on.

#50 Illmatic94

Illmatic94

New WinMatrixian

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 11 November 2009 - 08:15 PM

i followed you instructions.
when i rebooted and tried opening WMP I got the error "Windows Media player is not installed properly and must be reinstalled."
When I try run your setup file again, I get "An error occurred while trying to copy a file: C:..... Click to try again, Ignore to proceed anyway, or Abort to cancel installation" for every file. When I click Abort, I get "Install Windows Media Player 11 - For Windows 7 is breaking".

Help! Now I dont have either! I cant even find a download for WMP12 for 7 either!!

Edited by Illmatic94, 11 November 2009 - 08:20 PM.

#51 Lord Devrexster

Lord Devrexster

Hardcore Winmatrixcian

• 999 posts

Posted 11 November 2009 - 11:22 PM

when i rebooted and tried opening WMP I got the error "Windows Media player is not installed properly and must be reinstalled."
When I try run your setup file again, I get "An error occurred while trying to copy a file: C:..... Click to try again, Ignore to proceed anyway, or Abort to cancel installation" for every file. When I click Abort, I get "Install Windows Media Player 11 - For Windows 7 is breaking".

Help! Now I dont have either! I cant even find a download for WMP12 for 7 either!!

That thing generally happens when there was a problem in the "taking ownership" process.

Dont worry, just insert the w7 dvd and do an "upgrade" over the same version. That will repair ur win7.

#52 Illmatic94

Illmatic94

New WinMatrixian

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 12 November 2009 - 05:01 PM

That thing generally happens when there was a problem in the "taking ownership" process.

Dont worry, just insert the w7 dvd and do an "upgrade" over the same version. That will repair ur win7.

ok thanks, ill try that

#53 Guest_Dioguh1_*

Guest_Dioguh1_*

Posted 12 November 2009 - 11:40 PM

I think I may have found a solution to the problem of double clicking a file to open it (or at least until someone can come up with a better solution).

(I chose WMP11.AssocFile.MP3 because I wanted to play mp3 files in WMP, there are other folders for each file type, you would have to do this for all the file types you wish to use with WMP), you will see 2 entries. One is "(Default)" and the other is "DelegateExecute". You need to delete the DelegateExecute entry (make sure you create a backup of the registry first). You might have problems with deleting it due to permissions, if that is the case just right-click the registry folder, go to permissions and take ownership.

I did this and now I can double click on my mp3 files and they play in WMP11 no problem! Well, the only problem is that I still cannot select multiple files and have them all added to the now playing list, still gives me "Server Execution Failed" error when I right-click a file and go to "Add to Windows Media Player List". Hopefully someone can figure out how to do this, I really use that feature a lot.

i cant delete DelegateExecute, can u help me please?

#54 Vuyolicious

Vuyolicious

New WinMatrixian

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 16 November 2009 - 12:12 AM

i cant delete DelegateExecute, can u help me please?

It's probably because of permission problems. Try right clicking the "command" folder that contains DelegateExecute, then go to Permissions. Click on advanced, then go to the Owner tab. Choose your username from the list, tick the "Replace owner on subcontainers and objects" checkbox, then click Apply. Click Ok then give your username full control by ticking the Full Control checkbox under Allow for your username. This should solve your problem.

#55 Guest_MangKikz_*

Guest_MangKikz_*

Posted 17 November 2009 - 10:48 AM

Got all the instruction and had no problem installing. Also followed the instructions by Vuyolicious which solved the double-click file execution error. Great! However, when I tried playing dvd, no sound comes out. I hope the masters of WMP 11 on Windows 7 can come up with a solution soon. DVD plays perfectly if you use media center.

@ Illmatic94:

You have to run the installer as administrator so that you won't have to skip files that won't install - the cause of errors.

I'm using 7 ultimate [7600] btw.

Thanks. :)

#56 Canowyrms

Canowyrms

My First Post!

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 18 November 2009 - 11:18 PM

Hey everyone. I would first like to say that I am indeed new,
I have been working with computers/windows for about 5 years now.
Im generally experienced, but no degrees or certifications yet.
I am also really impressed with how this site looks and functions.
Great job on that guys.

I took interest in downgrading WMP12 to 11, and attempted it.
Everything went smoothly, except now the SRS Wow effects do not work,
and its quite buggy/glitchy on my system. Though I do thank you
for taking your time and developing this, I was just wondering...
Is there any way to revert back to WMP12?

#57 YouWin

YouWin

My First Post!

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 23 November 2009 - 06:00 AM

I was able to install WMP 11 successfully but when I try to minmize it to toolbar mode it does not work. There is not option when I right click my taskbar and go to toolbars WMP is not there. I'm getting an error when I try to open a music file with WMP.Posted Image I've tried these two commands regsvr32.exe "c:\program files\windows media player\wmpband.dll"
regsvr32.exe c:\windows\system32\wmp.dll and they both give me an error message failing. What can I do to fix these two problems?

#58 Guest_MangKikz_*

Guest_MangKikz_*

Posted 25 November 2009 - 12:19 AM

@ Youwin: Read previous posts and follow instructions by Voyulicios.

#59 Guest_RX_Man75_*

Guest_RX_Man75_*

Posted 25 November 2009 - 05:22 PM

Had problems with the install (on WIn 7 Ultimate RTM 7600)and saw many of the same problems as noted above, ie server error, etc. The only way out that I found was to uninstall WMP 12 via control panel add/remove programs & features/turn windows features on & off/and then selected "media Features" to remove anything that had to do with Media Features" - then the WMP 11 installer worked. HOWEVER, if you uninstall WMP11 and reselect "Media Features" to re-install WMP 12 - no joy. It will be broken. Once you go down the path of WMP 11 there's no going back (except for Win 7 Reinstall/upgrade.

Anyone know how to resize the "corporate" skin so that the crappy vizualization pane area is hidden and STAYS THAT WAY. Mine reverts back to displaying the pane upon restarting WMP11 each time? I like to keep the desktop size of the player to a bare minumum, but need to see the time and be able to move the tracking bar to advance the music (I'm a DJ and I use it to preview 1,000's of tracks a week).

#60 Alexnoj

Alexnoj

New WinMatrixian

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 28 November 2009 - 01:59 PM

I've this error http://i47.tinypic.com/359bd78.jpg
(I did ownership on wmploc.dll.mui)

Edited by Alexnoj, 28 November 2009 - 02:00 PM.

Want to comment?

Register or Sign In to go completely ad-free!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: wmp