Also for the Uninstaller, you must "Right Click>Run as Admin" for it to work
Add that too.

Will do

#43 CommonSense

CommonSense

Super WinMatrixian

• 2,620 posts

Posted 29 January 2009 - 02:26 AM

So why do you think that we can't browse explorer through this mode? This is bothering me. I realize it's a limited functionality mode but still. If any knows why please post... I really want to know why.

Edited by CommonSense, 29 January 2009 - 02:26 AM.

#44 MistaBishi

MistaBishi

MSI and Apple Fanboy :D

• 622 posts

Posted 29 January 2009 - 02:29 AM

So why do you think that we can't browse explorer through this mode? This is bothering me. I realize it's a limited functionality mode but still. If any knows why please post... I really want to know why.

Well i just read that the SYSTEM account is the most powerful account in windows! :woot: But i would like to know why i cant get explorer windows aswell.. I'm going to try some methods....

#45 CommonSense

CommonSense

Super WinMatrixian

• 2,620 posts

Posted 29 January 2009 - 02:31 AM

AHHHHHHHHHH SHIIIIIIITTTTTTTTTTTTT! I LOST UTILMAN.EXE! I'm gonna see if I can replace it using my 7 dvd! I don't know what did it but I don't have it anymore. I think I ran the Uninstaller twice :lol:

Yeah don't run the Uninstaller twice. Bad idea.

WARNING: Do not run the Uninstaller after you have already uninstalled because you will lose the original Utilman.exe

Edited by CommonSense, 29 January 2009 - 02:37 AM.

#46 MistaBishi

MistaBishi

• 622 posts

Posted 29 January 2009 - 02:37 AM

AHHHHHHHHHH SHIIIIIIITTTTTTTTTTTTT! I LOST UTILMAN.EXE! I'm gonna see if I can replace it using my 7 dvd! I don't know what did it but I don't have it anymore. I think I ran the Uninstaller twice :lol:

:lol: Just run the installer again, that will fix it.

#47 CommonSense

CommonSense

Super WinMatrixian

• 2,620 posts

Posted 29 January 2009 - 02:45 AM

:lol: Just run the installer again, that will fix it.

Yeah I did. I got the cmd-utliman.exe back.

Yeah but if your blind, you can't use the "Use Computer without a display feature" or other Ease of Access features. Because it runs the cmd and opens up explorer :P (Thankfully, I don't need any of those features)

Just make sure you don't run uninstaller after you have already uninstalled...

Edited by CommonSense, 29 January 2009 - 02:46 AM.

#48 MistaBishi

MistaBishi

• 622 posts

Posted 29 January 2009 - 02:45 AM

I found a way to browse files, but it isn't the best way... Download FileZilla, then install it. Then run the hack from the logon screen. Then launch FileZilla. You have access to all the files

#49 CommonSense

CommonSense

Super WinMatrixian

• 2,620 posts

Posted 29 January 2009 - 02:47 AM

I found a way to browse files, but it isn't the best way... Download FileZilla, then install it. Then run the hack from the logon screen. Then launch FileZilla. You have access to all the files

It's not the best, but still it does browse. I would add that to the first post if you haven't already.

#50 MistaBishi

MistaBishi

• 622 posts

Posted 29 January 2009 - 02:49 AM

It's not the best, but still it does browse. I would add that to the first post if you haven't already.

Doing it now..

#51 AMIRZ

AMIRZ

Loyal Member and Friend

• 2,033 posts

Posted 29 January 2009 - 07:56 PM

Nice hack! (Y) Love it :D

#52 PurplePeopleEater

PurplePeopleEater

I'm an Android fanboy sue me

• 4,090 posts

Posted 29 January 2009 - 09:56 PM

That's pretty sweet. Too bad you can't have full functionality without logging in. But that wouldn't make any sense... oh well :D

Update: Ok so I fixed the Uninstaller. This is all for fun. But I was bored, so decided to fix it. The only thing I changed is the permissions. So once you run the Uninstaller (Unpatch), it resets permissions for your user so you can't accidentally delete it (I think). And since I can't update the first post...

Also, I haven't tested it because I can't find my f**king Utilman.exe. And it's compressed somewhere in the disk. But it should work.

that good so noone else erases the easy of access sys files lol

#53 CommonSense

CommonSense

Super WinMatrixian

• 2,620 posts

Posted 29 January 2009 - 10:02 PM

That's pretty sweet. Too bad you can't have full functionality without logging in. But that wouldn't make any sense... oh well :D

Update: Ok so I fixed the Uninstaller. This is all for fun. But I was bored, so decided to fix it. The only thing I changed is the permissions. So once you run the Uninstaller (Unpatch), it resets permissions for your user so you can't accidentally delete it (I think). And since I can't update the first post...

Also, I haven't tested it because I can't find my f**king Utilman.exe. And it's compressed somewhere in the disk. But it should work.

that good so noone else erases the easy of access sys files lol

Yeah pretty much. So does the updated Unpatcher (2nd post) give back only Read permissions instead of Full Access?

#54 Villain

Villain

An Old Geek

• Global Moderator
  • 6,003 posts

Posted 30 January 2009 - 01:20 AM

Send a PM to CommonSense on how you can use any web browser to navigate your folders.
I'll let him decide if it is worth posting or not.

#55 CommonSense

CommonSense

Super WinMatrixian

• 2,620 posts

Posted 30 January 2009 - 01:38 AM

We can now browse in Explorer. See my first post.

Thanks again Villain :)

Edited by CommonSense, 30 January 2009 - 01:42 AM.

#56 MistaBishi

MistaBishi

• 622 posts

Posted 30 January 2009 - 08:06 PM

This is my post for updates and all because I can't edit the first post.

Okay I tested it and it gives users only Read but Administrators still have Full access.... So it can still be deleted by running it twice :(

Everyone thank Villain for this :)
*Applauds Villain*

So it is possible to browse Explorer through this little trick. All you have to do is open up any Web Browser and type:

file:///c:/

This allows you to see a directory listing! And if you do this in IE (IE 8 in Win7 beta isn't working for me in this mode though), you get the Windows Explorer Interface.

WE CAN NOW BROWSE WINDOWS WITH THIS WELCOME SCREEN TRICK! :woot:

Thanks for that CommonSense. I didn't have access to the internet for a day. I'll edit it into the first post.

#57 CommonSense

CommonSense

Super WinMatrixian

• 2,620 posts

Posted 30 January 2009 - 08:11 PM

Yeah no problem. From now on if we get updates and your not on, I'll edit my first post. And then when you edit the OP, I'll remove the updates from my post ;)

#58 MistaBishi

MistaBishi

• 622 posts

Posted 30 January 2009 - 08:20 PM

Yeah no problem. From now on if we get updates and your not on, I'll edit my first post. And then when you edit the OP, I'll remove the updates from my post ;)

Do you want me to add the uninstaller to the first post? By the sounds of it, you can still uninstall twice :P

Send a PM to CommonSense on how you can use any web browser to navigate your folders.

Thanks!!! It was defiently worth posting !!! B)

#59 CommonSense

CommonSense

Super WinMatrixian

• 2,620 posts

Posted 30 January 2009 - 08:23 PM

Do you want me to add the uninstaller to the first post? By the sounds of it, you can still uninstall twice :P

Thanks!!! It was defiently worth posting !!! B)

Sadly not yet. I'm having someone look over it and maybe he could help. Permissions are a pain in the ass. The only difference in v2 is that USERS lose full access, but that doesn't help.

#60 MistaBishi

MistaBishi

• 622 posts

Posted 30 January 2009 - 08:27 PM

Ok thanks

Want to comment?

Register or Sign In to go completely ad-free!