• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

#1 MistaBishi

MistaBishi

MSI and Apple Fanboy :D

• 622 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 09:48 PM

Hi all!

If someone knows how to replace that stupid ease of access icon, please let me know!
I found this awesome trick on unlockforus today! It allows you to browse the web and do some other stuff without logging on B)

You all know the little Ease of Access icon on the Welcome Screen/Logon? Well you can hack that so it opens up a Comand Prompt window, with full admin priveliges. :D

Well me and CommonSense have created an automated installer that automaticly applies this patch for you. Attached File  Auto_Patcher.zip   69.15K   95 downloads All you have to do is double click it, and follow instructions! When you are on the logon/welcome screen, click the Ease of Access icon (bottom left hand corner) and it will launch the SYSTEM user account. Then you can run any application you like. But you can't use explorer (Pictures, Documents, Computer, Network, Control Panel etc.). Feel free to explore it! If you get sick of it, or don't like it, its easily uninstallable! Just run the uninstaller located on the Desktop. The uninstaller is placed in the directory the installer is in. Also for the Uninstaller, you must "Right Click>Run as Admin" for it to work. If you wish to do this manually, you can, but it is easier to apply this patch.
http://unlockforus.b...dows-vista.html

Me and CommonSense are trying to find a way to be able to browse files, so you can replace system files without having to take ownership! :woot: You can use FileZilla to browse and replace system files. Its not ideal, but its the only thing untill we find a way to get the real explorer!

Thanks to CommonSense for keeping this updated while i was away! And thanks to Villain for telling us how to get Explorer in the Welcome Screen Trick!

Everyone thank Villain for this smile.gif
*Applauds Villain*

So it is possible to browse Explorer through this little trick. All you have to do is open up any Web Browser and type:

file:///c:/

This allows you to see a directory listing! And if you do this in IE (IE 8 in Win7 beta isn't working for me in this mode though), you get the Windows Explorer Interface. I tested it, and it doesn't seem to be working in IE in windows vista either.

WE CAN NOW BROWSE WINDOWS WITH THIS WELCOME SCREEN TRICK! w00t.gif

NOTE: The IE trick doesn't work in Windows 7
Note: It works on Windows 7 (CommonSense tested it)
Note: You cannot use any ease of access features. So you can use this if you are blind :P

If you want to recomend something, or tell us a bug, let us know!

Edited by MistaBishi, 31 January 2009 - 05:59 AM.

#2 CommonSense

CommonSense

Super WinMatrixian

• 2,620 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 09:58 PM

That's pretty sweet. Too bad you can't have full functionality without logging in. But that wouldn't make any sense... oh well :D

This is my post for updates and all because I can't edit the first post.

Update: Ok so I fixed the Uninstaller. This is all for fun. But I was bored, so decided to fix it. The only thing I changed is the permissions. So once you run the Uninstaller (Unpatch), it resets permissions for your user so you can't accidentally delete it (I think). And since I can't update the first post...

Okay I tested it and it gives users only Read but Administrators still have Full access.... So it can still be deleted by running it twice :(

Attached Files

Edited by CommonSense, 30 January 2009 - 08:29 PM.

#3 MistaBishi

MistaBishi

• 622 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 10:00 PM

That's pretty sweet. Too bad you can't have full functionality without logging in. But that wouldn't make any sense... oh well :D

Yea lol. But at least you can still browse the web etc.

#4 CommonSense

CommonSense

Super WinMatrixian

• 2,620 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 10:03 PM

Does it use as much ram as it would if you were logged in? And can you run games in this mode? :P

Edited by CommonSense, 28 January 2009 - 10:03 PM.

#5 MistaBishi

MistaBishi

• 622 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 10:12 PM

Does it use as much ram as it would if you were logged in? And can you run games in this mode? :P

I think it does use as much RAM, because you have pretty much logged on to another user account. And I'm not sure if you can play games, cause you can't open explorer windows to launch the game.But there could be some way :P

#6 CommonSense

CommonSense

Super WinMatrixian

• 2,620 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 10:15 PM

I think it does use as much RAM, because you have pretty much logged on to another user account. And I'm not sure if you can play games, cause you can't open explorer windows to launch the game.But there could be some way :P

Does this work in 7 because I'm gonna try it and see if I can play GTA SA :D

#7 MistaBishi

MistaBishi

• 622 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 10:16 PM

Does this work in 7 because I'm gonna try it and see if I can play GTA SA :D

I'm pretty sure this works in Se7en, because 7 has the Ease of Access Button there

#8 CommonSense

CommonSense

Super WinMatrixian

• 2,620 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 10:32 PM

I can't take ownership of the file. I tried the WinBubbles method, the cmd method, and the owner method. But nothing works. There is no "Take Ownership of this file" in the context when I click utilman. But every other file has it. Maybe someone with more experience can figure out what went wrong and can test if games work :angry: :cry:

Okay, now it says "are you sure you want to take permission" blah blah blah, but it still won't let me change the name!

Edited by CommonSense, 28 January 2009 - 10:37 PM.

#9 MistaBishi

MistaBishi

• 622 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 10:37 PM

I can't take ownership of the file. I tried the WinBubbles method, the cmd method, and the owner method. But nothing works. There is no "Take Ownership of this file" in the context when I click utilman. But every other file has it. Maybe someone with more experience can figure out what went wrong and can test if games work :angry: :cry:

Hold on mate, i'll post a tutorial on how i took ownership.

EDIT: Tutorial edited into post

Edited by MistaBishi, 28 January 2009 - 10:42 PM.

#10 CommonSense

CommonSense

Super WinMatrixian

• 2,620 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 10:41 PM

Wow I'm a f**king idiot. I took ownership but never changed permissions for my account. Epic fail on my part. :lol:

Edited by CommonSense, 28 January 2009 - 10:43 PM.

#11 MistaBishi

MistaBishi

• 622 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 10:43 PM

Wow I'm a f**king idiot. I took ownership but never changed permissions for my account. Epic fail on my part.

LOL :D .

#12 Eye Pie Rate

Eye Pie Rate

Super WinMatrixian

• 2,180 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 10:46 PM

Trying it now.
Instead of putting a cmd there, i am renaming Google Chrome Portable to utilman.exe :P

#13 CommonSense

CommonSense

Super WinMatrixian

• 2,620 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 10:50 PM

HELL YEAH! IT WORKS! YOU CAN PLAY GAMES THROUGH THIS :D

It's so much easier to just log in though. By the time it applies all personal settings and all, you could already be playing. Still really cool. I think cmd has to be there so it can load all the things to run the programs and "desktop". Unless Endrit proves me wrong by running Chrome at the log in screen :P

Nice find (Y)

Edited by CommonSense, 28 January 2009 - 10:54 PM.

#14 MistaBishi

MistaBishi

• 622 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 10:55 PM

Trying it now.
Instead of putting a cmd there, i am renaming Google Chrome Portable to utilman.exe :P

Thats what i was thinking of doing aswell. But i'd preffer to have access to all the programs :P

#15 Eye Pie Rate

Eye Pie Rate

Super WinMatrixian

• 2,180 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 10:56 PM

Chrome does run at the login screen i assure you.
Problem is, no internet :(

So I don't get it, if i get CMD on it, will that let me get internet?

#16 MistaBishi

MistaBishi

• 622 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 10:56 PM

It's so much easier to just log in though. By the time it applies all personal settings and all, you could already be playing. Still really cool. I think cmd has to be there so it can load all the things to run the programs and "desktop". Unless Endrit proves me wrong by running Chrome at the log in screen :P

Nice find (Y)

Can you post how you opened the game? I will edit it into the 1st post.

#17 CommonSense

CommonSense

Super WinMatrixian

• 2,620 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 10:59 PM

Nice find (Y)

Haha well... you know how the superbar appears? Well you open up the Start menu and it has all the apps installed and you can run pretty much every app I would assume. I was too excited that I GTA ran that I didn't test anything else. No special tutorial needed :P

#18 MistaBishi

MistaBishi

• 622 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 11:01 PM

Chrome does run at the login screen i assure you.
Problem is, no internet :(

So I don't get it, if i get CMD on it, will that let me get internet?

Give it a shot. I think you might have to open explorer.exe for it to connect to the internet.

Nice find (Y)

Haha well... you know how the superbar appears? Well you open up the Start menu and it has all the apps installed and you can run pretty much every app I would assume. I was too excited that I GTA ran that I didn't test anything else. No special tutorial needed :P

Ahhhh, so you just have to put the shortcut for the application you want in the start menu. Is there an inprovement in the games? (Frame rate etc)

#19 CommonSense

CommonSense

Super WinMatrixian

• 2,620 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 11:05 PM

I have internet writing with the backdoor trick now :D

And no you don't need to place it into the Start Menu. It's already there under All Programs. For me anyway.

And no I didn't notice much of a difference but I only played for like a minute :lol:
Someone else try this with a better system that can run games and post if they notice a difference.

INTERNET EXPLORER DOESN'T WORK. You have to use Firefox/Chrome/Safari. It's bonded to explorer.exe so if that doesn't load then IE won't either.

Edited by CommonSense, 28 January 2009 - 11:07 PM.

#20 MistaBishi

MistaBishi

• 622 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 11:11 PM

I have internet writing with the backdoor trick now :D

And no you don't need to place it into the Start Menu. It's already there under All Programs. For me anyway.

And no I didn't notice much of a difference but I only played for like a minute :lol:
Someone else try this with a better system that can run games and post if they notice a difference.

INTERNET EXPLORER DOESN'T WORK. You have to use Firefox/Chrome/Safari. It's bonded to explorer.exe so if that doesn't load then IE won't either.

I'll try Call of Duty 4, and see if there is an improvement.

Internet Explorer 7 is working fine on Vista, maybe its IE8, or Se7en?

Want to comment?

Register or Sign In to go completely ad-free!