• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Eye Pie Rate

Eye Pie Rate

Super WinMatrixian

• 2,180 posts

Posted 14 January 2009 - 06:32 PM

Posted Image
Windows DreamScene, a feature which allows a video clip, movie show, slideshow or animated image and picture to be set as the desktop background in Windows Vista has been removed in Windows 7, in favor of Desktop Slideshow wallpaper auto rotator. Although Windows 7 no longer supports DreamScane, the DreamScene function can still be manually added and installed into Windows 7 with a little hack in order to turn on and enable the DreamScene support in Windows7.

In order to enable DreamScene in Windows 7, the similar hack which allows DreamScene to be installed on non-Ultimate edition of Windows Vista such as Windows Vista Home Basic, Home Premium, Business and Enterprise edition is used. The DreamScene installation hack has been compiled into an executable, which automatically copy the necessary DreamScene files and merge require registry keys and entries.

Note: To run DreamScene in Windows 7, Windows Aero has to be turned on.

How to Install DreamScene in Windows 7

1) Run the Windows7-DreamScene.exe as Administrator.
That's it.

Al the installer does is, it will copy DreamScene.dll to %WinDir%\System32 folder, DreamScene.dll.mui to %WinDir%\System32\en-US folder and add the required registry keys and values.
Then it will automatically restart the Explorer to make the installation of DreamScene works immediately.

A Windows DreamScene folder has also been created in %WinDir%\Web\ folder. You can place any video file that you want to set as DreamScene background wallpaper here as in Windows Vista, or anywhere you like. However, the folder is less useful as Windows 7 does not support direct viewing of video or animated media in Personalization Control Panel.

Download:
Windows7-DreamScene.exe

Source Here

#2 thorden

thorden

Active WinMatrixian

• 291 posts

Posted 14 January 2009 - 06:48 PM

Cool, now we'll wait for avery nice windows 7 video wallpaper.

#3 Peter Sebastian

Peter Sebastian

WinMatrixian

• 79 posts

Posted 14 January 2009 - 07:38 PM

Is it heavy on the resources?
PS. There are some Windows 7 backgrounds for Deskscapes on deviantart
like this one
http://bobops2.devia...ows-7-109438473

Edited by Peter Sebastian, 14 January 2009 - 08:01 PM.

#4 InlineSkate

InlineSkate

WinMatrix Addict

• 3,182 posts

Posted 14 January 2009 - 09:51 PM

I accidentally put did this on ultimate and it said dreamscene removed?

#5 henrydtv

henrydtv

Super WinMatrixian

• 1,111 posts

Posted 14 January 2009 - 11:46 PM

I will use this tut when i FINALLY install windows 7, ( got the iso but need DVD!!!

#6 maxpay

maxpay

WinMatrixian

• 66 posts

Posted 15 January 2009 - 12:33 AM

I am running this program with Admin rights and it just keeps telling me that I need to run this with Admin rights. Whats up with that! I am running Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit.

#7 Syzygy

Syzygy

Zing.

• 3,470 posts

Posted 15 January 2009 - 01:02 AM

I am running this program with Admin rights and it just keeps telling me that I need to run this with Admin rights. Whats up with that! I am running Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit.

Try creating a command prompt, running it as the administrator. Then open the program via cmd.

#8 maxpay

maxpay

WinMatrixian

• 66 posts

Posted 15 January 2009 - 01:42 AM

Ok, Will try...

Dang! Opening a command line with Admin rights didn't work for me.

Any ideas :)

#9 RickSOLET

RickSOLET

Super WinMatrixian

• 1,793 posts

Posted 15 January 2009 - 02:38 AM

Thanks for the hack.

#10 maxpay

maxpay

WinMatrixian

• 66 posts

Posted 15 January 2009 - 11:40 PM

This will not work with Windows 7 64 Bit.... :(

#11 Liskiller

Liskiller

Super WinMatrixian

• Elites
  • 2,045 posts

Posted 16 January 2009 - 10:54 AM

I'm wondering why Razorblade hasn't come up with a Windows 7 hack so far..

#12 Guest_nixter_*

Guest_nixter_*

Posted 15 October 2009 - 02:47 AM

Same here, dreamscene will not work with Windows 7 64-bit version. (Ultimate version in my case.) Safe to say that this is universally true with all 64-bit Win 7 systems.

#13 Guest_phtskllz_*

Guest_phtskllz_*

Posted 18 November 2009 - 02:01 AM

Same here, dreamscene will not work with Windows 7 64-bit version. (Ultimate version in my case.) Safe to say that this is universally true with all 64-bit Win 7 systems.

I agree, it worked smoothly on the beta, but now my 64 bit won't be fooled... :(

#14 Undreamer

Undreamer

New WinMatrixian

• 26 posts

Posted 04 December 2009 - 08:15 PM

Win7 Dreamscene No Admin Check
Try this, No Admin check + works great on Windows 64 bit built 7600.

DONT FORGET TO RESTART EXPLORER (if that not works try restartind windows desktop manager wdm.exe in taskmanager)

Edited by Undreamer, 04 December 2009 - 08:19 PM.

#15 Amv Playa

Amv Playa

EPIK :P

• 27 posts

Posted 27 December 2009 - 12:29 AM

Undreamer's file thing works for 64bit :D. I don't use Dreamscene much but I like having the option to set a video as my desktop background.

#16 nealloy

nealloy

Active WinMatrixian

• 492 posts

Posted 09 January 2010 - 09:04 PM

Hi,
how can i uninstall dreamscene patch from win7. u should have given that tip as well guys.

#17 xsever

xsever

ECE

• 996 posts

Posted 09 January 2010 - 10:06 PM

I think DreamScene in all is a waste of time and resources. What' so cool about having a video wallpaper?

Just run the video in a loop if you are dying so much to see it again and again.

Anyway, thanks for sharing the article.

#18 Guest_Samm_*

Guest_Samm_*

Posted 17 March 2010 - 12:42 AM

I think DreamScene in all is a waste of time and resources. What' so cool about having a video wallpaper?

Gay. Do you really prefer a slideshow of your boring family pictures? I think anyone reading this thread would agree.

#19 Guest_kailash_*

Guest_kailash_*

Posted 19 March 2010 - 07:23 AM

Hi,
how can i uninstall dreamscene patch from win7. u should have given that tip as well guys.

hi guys i have installed the patch successfully but when i right click on a video it says open with and opens with a wmp

#20 Guest_coffeeman_*

Guest_coffeeman_*

Posted 26 April 2010 - 11:27 AM

Undreamer's file thing works for 64bit :D. I don't use Dreamscene much but I like having the option to set a video as my desktop background.

Well, I already tried the first one, but I have 64bit windows, so it didn't work, and now I can't delete the old files or replace them with the new ones? says the dreamscene.dll file is in use and I should close it first. BUT... I don't know what process it's with. A little help?

Want to comment?

Register or Sign In to go completely ad-free!