* * * * - 1 votes

Install Windows 7 with 128 or 256 Mb Ram - how to

windows 7 ram

• Please log in to reply
94 replies to this topic

#61 Guest_gilera_*

Guest_gilera_*

Posted 31 July 2009 - 01:08 PM

I could not install Windows 7 on my old HP pavillion ze5700, with only 256mb RAM. Just bought up a bsod, something about lesser_greater_than_equal, anyways, I guess it was the ram. Was hoping it would work as I've read at a few places 7 can be run on lower spec machines, and this laptop does run XP just fine. Ordered 2 new 512mb sticks, cheap as chips nowadays, lets just hope they work..... Hopefully it will?

any info welcome, cheers guys

#62 Guest_Ugur Akgoz_*

Guest_Ugur Akgoz_*

Posted 11 August 2009 - 12:59 PM

+1 from me also, I live on AMD 2800+ 1.6 Ghz and 512 MB RAM

not everyone has the cashflow for more ram. myself included.

From me also, I als using AMD 1.6 Ghz and two 256 mb RAM modules, third RAM slot is defect.

#63 eder.g

eder.g

New WinMatrixian

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 12 August 2009 - 10:51 AM

this will take like for ever to install and boot.

#64 Guest_Matthew S_*

Guest_Matthew S_*

Posted 02 October 2009 - 08:51 PM

Hi I'm Going away next week and I need to put Windows 7 on my notebook or I Won't be going anywhere! Can you please send me the patched file! thematt7000@sbcglobal.net

Thank You! (I need this before Sunday!!!! Please) :cry:

#65 Guest_Vineet Jain_*

Guest_Vineet Jain_*

Posted 07 October 2009 - 03:20 PM

can u plz send me the patched file to vineet8137@gmail.com

#66 Guest_Chetan_*

Guest_Chetan_*

Posted 17 October 2009 - 03:25 PM

You sold them? :blink:

I hope you put a big expiration date on those computers (they need it anyway). :lol:

Does the Windows 7 beta expire?
Yes, on 1st August. This from the EULA:
"This software will stop running on August 1, 2009. You may not receive any other notice. You may not be able to access data used with the software when it stops running."

By the way, which XML file do you edit to bypass the RAM restriction?
What do you replace or change in that XML file?

Hi,

A patched winsetup.dll causes the setup to bypass the memory check; it is possible to install Win7 on a computer with as little as 256 MB!

If you are interested, just try the patched file. I installed Win7 on such a low end machine, and although it is a little slow, it really works!

Here is the patched file: Unfortunately it is not possible to attach the file, so let me know if you like to have it sent to you.

Greetz,

Paulus

Can u please email me the patched file and the instructions to use it? It is chetanmahajan27@gmail.com

Thanks..

#67 Guest_MadDog3360_*

Guest_MadDog3360_*

Posted 07 November 2009 - 07:29 PM

As far as you should have 2GB of Ram for any Windows that is also bogus. Windows XP runs perfectly fine, and fast with 1GB, and Page File turned completely off. I intalled Win7 on a computer with 6GB DDR2, but I want to compare performance to WinXP. I have an old Dell Latitude C600, 1.0Ghz PIII, 256MB Ram, and I just want to see how Win7 peforms compared to WinXP Home SP3 I have installed on there right now. It is also true that not alot of people don't have the money to upgrade. I run about six desktops, two laptops and a netbook, and I am forced to run 512 in a few of the desktops. If Windows is configured correctly, your Ram usage can be extremely low. When XP first came out on Pentium III's and Celeron's @ around 1-1.4Ghz, and 128MB Ram, they ran fast, and didn't use Page File at all. Why couldn't we do that today

#68 Guest_turtleboyf_*

Guest_turtleboyf_*

Posted 08 November 2009 - 07:16 AM

Can anyone confirm that this works with the retail version of windows 7?

#69 ThePrall44

ThePrall44

My First Post!

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 15 November 2009 - 05:59 PM

Could someone please re-upload the winsetup.dll file? Old link's dead now and I tried editting the HEX, but that didnt work... Thanks!

#70 hab

hab

Active WinMatrixian

• 996 posts

Posted 15 November 2009 - 09:16 PM

I sold 3 computers, 2 with 256mb and 1 with 128 mb ram with windows 7 up and running just fine...probably even faster that if they would have windows xp.

Not true - I have a very old laptop that only has 512 mb of ram in it and it runs hella slow on Windows 7 compared to XP. There's a reason Vista and 7 recommend at least 1GB or 2GB of ram. But I'm not saying Windows Vista and 7 are slow - because with the computers and prices these days, a pretty cheap computer can easily run Vista and 7 fast - they're just not meant for the old school computers and laptops

#71 ayoshi

ayoshi

Active WinMatrixian

• 722 posts

Posted 30 November 2009 - 03:40 AM

can i have a copy of the file. I want to test it to my old P4 PC, thanks in advance :woot:

#72 Guest_tom thomas_*

Guest_tom thomas_*

Posted 09 December 2009 - 04:03 AM

Paulus

Can u please email me the patched file and the instructions to use it? It is tomytomthomas@gmail.com

#73 Guest_Bl1zz4rd.b0y_*

Guest_Bl1zz4rd.b0y_*

Posted 09 December 2009 - 09:33 AM

I really need the patched file of winsetup.dll
the links above is broken :no:
please post it again :yes:

#74 richluk

richluk

WinMatrixian

• 72 posts

Posted 09 December 2009 - 01:35 PM

http://eugeneslz16.d...7k-RC-120612375

#75 netbox

netbox

Customizer

• 380 posts

Posted 09 December 2009 - 10:37 PM

Hmmm. this is very insteresting topic indeed..I will try it out in my IBM Thinkpad :)Thanks for the tips guys.. :)

#76 ayoshi

ayoshi

Active WinMatrixian

• 722 posts

Posted 17 December 2009 - 05:02 PM

User345623 Thanks for the file. Finally I installed Windows 7 on my old computer :lol:

But we did it in other way. :yes:

Heres the result:

--------------------------------------------------------------------
Screenshot 1

Posted Image

Screenshot 2

Posted Image

Screenshot 3

Posted Image

My Computer Specs:
- Intel Pentium 4, 1.69 MHZ
- 256 MB RAM
- 32 MB Video Card
- 80 GB Hard Disk

My only complain was, I can't use Aero Theme hehe :woot:
I also got the lowest ratings hehehe, what can I expect from my old PC hehe :lol:

Thanks to:
1. User345623
2. juliankreuz

Note:
This is for experimental purpose only. :lol:

Edited by ayoshi, 17 December 2009 - 07:43 PM.

#77 Guest_Andy L_*

Guest_Andy L_*

Posted 04 January 2010 - 06:01 PM

win7 home premium v6.1.7600.16385

replace winsetup.dll trick is not working..too bad.
I burn the modified-ISO file to DVDR.
boot from the DVDR, it still report the RAM is too small while installation process..

#78 ayoshi

ayoshi

Active WinMatrixian

• 722 posts

Posted 07 January 2010 - 11:25 PM

win7 home premium v6.1.7600.16385

replace winsetup.dll trick is not working..too bad.
I burn the modified-ISO file to DVDR.
boot from the DVDR, it still report the RAM is too small while installation process..

uhmm we tried intalling XP first then we create an ISO of Win 7, mount it to a virtual CD ROm then auto play it. then we choose install the Win 7 inside the XP but without upgrading it. there we by pass the RAM requirements options.

But I still recommend to follow minimum requirements needed to install Win 7.

We just do it as an experiment. :lol:

Edited by ayoshi, 07 January 2010 - 11:32 PM.

#79 Dr. Doom

Dr. Doom

Active WinMatrixian

• 529 posts

Posted 08 January 2010 - 01:31 AM

How bad is it?

I mean what can you tell us about your experience with Windows 7 on a machine like that?

#80 ayoshi

ayoshi

Active WinMatrixian

• 722 posts

Posted 12 January 2010 - 11:43 PM

How bad is it?

I mean what can you tell us about your experience with Windows 7 on a machine like that?

It's a little bit slow, it takes about 2-3 minutes boot up sometimes up to 5 minutes.

Its like I'm still running XP with full Vista Theme on it. :yes:

Want to comment?

Register or Sign In to go completely ad-free!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: windows 7, ram