• Please log in to reply
94 replies to this topic

#21 djpllayer2009

djpllayer2009

New WinMatrixian

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 13 January 2009 - 03:18 PM

or just post wich bytes to edit, got no orginal vista here for comparing with the patched vista files
so please tell me what to hexedit

thanks man!

#22 gajann

gajann

My First Post!

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 13 January 2009 - 05:56 PM

could you give some details to change the winsetup.dll :o

Edited by gajann, 13 January 2009 - 05:57 PM.

#23 Paulus

Paulus

New WinMatrixian

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 13 January 2009 - 06:40 PM

Hi,

I examined the difference betweeen the original winsetup.dll of Vista and the patched one. I found the contents of that difference also in the original winsetup.dll of W7, and changed that to the same contents that I found in the patched Vista winsetup.dll file. And that way I created the patched winsetup.dll for W7! You could do it for yourself, if you like.

And... it really works!

I have to admit: my computer is a bit slow in responding, but everything works, except for the Aero, but that is caused by my very simple videocard.

I hope I have reassured you.

Let me know if you have other questions.

Greetz,

Paulus

Hey Paulus interesting topic although my PC runs Windows Seven so well. Btw could you write the guide about how to patch it here or at least upload your patched file e.g to Rapidshare etc (since it's impossible to attach it)? I think that it will be very useful for some people who still have old machines. Thx alot mate :)

Hi,

The patched file has already been patched, of course. I will describe how I made Win7 installable for my 256 machine.

1. download the win7 iso
2. burn the iso to dvd, in order to make all files readable (they can't be extracted the normal way with winrar, eg., for in that way the files can't be seen)
3. copy all readable files from the dvd to your harddrive or thumb drive or whatever
4. copy the patched winsetup.dll into the sources map on the harddrive or where ever you copied the win7 files, replacing the original winsetup.dll
5a. install win7 by pressing setup.exe in the root of the (copied) win7 files, in case you install from within windows, or
5b. convert the complete win7 setup files, with the patched winsetup.dll file included, into the iso format again, and burn that (changed) iso onto a dvd: in this way you could install win7 on a system on which no windows is present - so that dvd has the same quality as the original one, except that it can be installed on systems with less than 512 MB!

That's it!

I've tried to upload the patched winsetup.dll, I zipped it, rarred it, deleted the extension, both the dll, zip and rar, but in no way it can be uploaded, unfortunately! I'm sorry for that, folks!

In my post before I already explained how I patched the file.

I hope your questions will be answered sufficiently; otherwise please let me know.

If you like: please post how this patch meets your wishes; also if it doesn't! That would be a great means for me in evaluating this patch.

Many thanks in advance!

Greetz,

Paulus

Edited by Paulus, 13 January 2009 - 06:44 PM.

#24 djpllayer2009

djpllayer2009

New WinMatrixian

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 13 January 2009 - 08:09 PM

hm can u upload the file to rapidshare.com or some other filehosting service? or megaupload.com

dont have a orginal vista so i cant get the difference between the files.. would be great

#25 Paulus

Paulus

New WinMatrixian

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 14 January 2009 - 11:01 AM

hm can u upload the file to rapidshare.com or some other filehosting service? or megaupload.com

dont have a orginal vista so i cant get the difference between the files.. would be great

Hi,

I uploaded the patched winsetup.dll file for W7 to Rapidshare. This is the link:

http://rapidshare.co...up_dll.rar.html

I'll be glad to hear from you if this suites your needs/wishes.

Greetz,

Paulus

#26 djpllayer2009

djpllayer2009

New WinMatrixian

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 14 January 2009 - 11:44 AM

thanks man this work, can start setup now :)

btw, for the ones who wanna know whats edited:

the offset 8BAE6 is changed from "77 07 3D 78 01" to "E9 04 00 00 00"

(use " Hex-Editor MX " for that, its freeware)

(on vista it's a other offset, but same bytes need to changed, then vista works too with 256mb)

THANKS AGAIN

Edited by djpllayer2009, 14 January 2009 - 11:56 PM.

#27 AMIRZ

AMIRZ

Loyal Member and Friend

• 2,033 posts

Posted 14 January 2009 - 01:42 PM

Hi Paulus and djpllayer2009, thx guys very informative and useful guide! (Y) IMHO this thread should be pinned :D

#28 Paulus

Paulus

New WinMatrixian

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 14 January 2009 - 02:14 PM

Hi Paulus and djpllayer2009, thx guys very informative and useful guide! (Y) IMHO this thread should be pinned :D

AMIRZ and djpllayer2009,

Thanks for your appreciation!

djpllayer2009,

Your description is exactly what I changed in the original Win7 winsetup.dll file, and changed into the new sequence: it wasn't that difficult! I just had to come to the idea that the difference between the Vista winsetup.dll file and the patched one, would be just the thing that had to be changed to the original winsetup.dll file of Win7 too.

I wish you all good luck!

Greetz,

Paulus

#29 djpllayer2009

djpllayer2009

New WinMatrixian

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 14 January 2009 - 11:54 PM

yea thats what i thought too hehe, but i changed the wrong offsetand didnt worked first and thought it wont work on 7 anymore hehe

install was very fast

man this runs realy fast, a lil bit tuning and it will be running like my xp but with aero and all off that :D
30mb ram still free, damn still cant belive, looks so goooood compared to xp..

have fun testing!

#30 User345623

User345623

Aztek

• 55 posts

Posted 15 January 2009 - 05:40 AM

Thank Paulus, Ritesh, Guylia, Winlover_41, Villain and whom i forget for supporting my thread.
You are all hackvillains !

But i still have a killer question...

How the heck djpllayer2009 knows that the offset 8BAE6 is changed from "77 07 3D 78 01" to "E9 04 00 00 00....

How do you guys find out which is the right offsted to modify and what to put instead of the original values ?

Please tell me with just a few words so i can start learning by myself modifying everything !

Edited by User345623, 15 January 2009 - 05:53 AM.

#31 henrydtv

henrydtv

Super WinMatrixian

• 1,111 posts

Posted 15 January 2009 - 11:27 AM

Good point...
Actually i think that since RAM memory is so cheap these days people should have absolutely non less than 4Gb installed(including laptops), at least to take advantage of all the 32 bits potential.
But in many poor countries around the world you are lucky if you can afford a computer with p3 1GHz and 128Mb ram.
So this tip for some people is actually very useful.

Unless your computer doesn't support more than 2gb of RAM. I'm only allowed 1gb per slot and I only have 2 slots :D

that kinds sucks!

#32 G-Oker

G-Oker

New WinMatrixian

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 27 January 2009 - 04:51 PM

hi,
I'm hoping someone will help i newbie.
I've downloaded the win 7 iso and mounted the DVD using Magiciso, copied the files onto the c:\, then over written the winsetup.dll with the patch version, and created and new ISO using Folder2ISO, but the DVD will not boot.
I've tried it in serval machines, and it doesn't boot in either.

I really don't know what I've doing wrong here, so any help would be great.

Thanks

#33 XP1

XP1

New WinMatrixian

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 27 January 2009 - 07:50 PM

hi,
I've downloaded the win 7 iso and mounted the DVD using Magiciso, copied the files onto the c:\, then over written the winsetup.dll with the patch version, and created and new ISO using Folder2ISO, but the DVD will not boot.

Thanks

Don't recreate the ISO by copying the ISO file contents to your hard drive. You will lose the boot information needed for the DVD to boot.

Make a backup copy of the Windows 7 ISO.
Open the backup copy of the ISO file with MagicISO
Navigate to the Sources folder in the ISO using the MagicISO UI
Drag and drop the winsetup.dll file into the Sources folder window pane
Replace the DLL file
Click File > Save
Burn ISO to DVD

#34 G-Oker

G-Oker

New WinMatrixian

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 27 January 2009 - 09:34 PM

hi,

Thanks

Don't recreate the ISO by copying the ISO file contents to your hard drive. You will lose the boot information needed for the DVD to boot.

Replace the DLL file
Click File > Save
Burn ISO to DVD

Hi thanks, But MagicISO won't let me replace the file ( more than 300mb ), is there freeware that will do the same job ?, or an already reconstructed ISO for 256mb I can download ?

cheers

#35 XP1

XP1

New WinMatrixian

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 27 January 2009 - 09:39 PM

hi,

Thanks

Replace the DLL file
Click File > Save
Burn ISO to DVD

Hi thanks, But MagicISO won't let me replace the file ( more than 300mb ), is there freeware that will do the same job ?, or an already reconstructed ISO for 256mb I can download ?

cheers

Did you try UltraISO?

#36 G-Oker

G-Oker

New WinMatrixian

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 06:38 AM

hi,

Thanks

Replace the DLL file
Click File > Save
Burn ISO to DVD

cheers

Did you try UltraISO?

Hi,
yes agian, it has a 300mb limit to saving files. aarrrhhh.
Any others. all the ones I seem to have googles sort far either just open or burn, none allow to edit and save. WinRar opens, but won;t save to ISO format.

Thanks

#37 XP1

XP1

New WinMatrixian

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 10:06 AM

hi,

Thanks

Replace the DLL file
Click File > Save
Burn ISO to DVD

cheers

Did you try UltraISO?

Hi,
yes agian, it has a 300mb limit to saving files. aarrrhhh.
Any others. all the ones I seem to have googles sort far either just open or burn, none allow to edit and save. WinRar opens, but won;t save to ISO format.

Thanks

Try ISO Master?

#38 SAero

SAero

New WinMatrixian

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 12:51 PM

I have a question: Windows 7 will install with configure ???

#39 G-Oker

G-Oker

New WinMatrixian

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 02:06 PM

HI Xp1,
I tried ISO Master, but I countine see the Direcotyr tree, just a readme file that says

This disc contains a "UDF" file system and requires an operating system
that supports the ISO-13346 "UDF" file system specification.

Thanks

#40 XP1

XP1

New WinMatrixian

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 07:47 PM

HI Xp1,
I tried ISO Master, but I countine see the Direcotyr tree, just a readme file that says

This disc contains a "UDF" file system and requires an operating system
that supports the ISO-13346 "UDF" file system specification.

Thanks

It seems like you can't avoid using shareware unless there is some freeware ISO editor.

Want to comment?

Register or Sign In to go completely ad-free!