windows 7 ram

• Please log in to reply
94 replies to this topic

#1 User345623

User345623

Aztek

• 55 posts

Posted 12 January 2009 - 12:32 AM

There are at least 2 ways to install Windows 7 in a computer with less than 512 mb of ram.
One way is installing Windows 7 with 512 mb of ram and then once Windows is installed you can remove the memory leaving into the system only 128 or 256 mb of ram installed.
The computer should run just fine.
I sold 3 computers, 2 with 256mb and 1 with 128 mb ram with windows 7 up and running just fine...probably even faster that if they would have windows xp.

Another way is modifying windows 7 xml setup data to allow it being installed with less than 512 mb of ram.

#2 Frylock86

Frylock86

WinMatrixian 1337

• 3,057 posts

Posted 12 January 2009 - 01:18 AM

Ok, but the question is... Why would you want to?

Those days are long gone... Nobody should be running Windows (XP, Vista, 7) with less than 2 Gigs unless you want to thrash the hell out of your HDD....

Edited by Frylock86, 12 January 2009 - 01:24 AM.

#3 User345623

User345623

Aztek

• 55 posts

Posted 12 January 2009 - 02:01 AM

Good point...
Actually i think that since RAM memory is so cheap these days people should have absolutely non less than 4Gb installed(including laptops), at least to take advantage of all the 32 bits potential.
But in many poor countries around the world you are lucky if you can afford a computer with p3 1GHz and 128Mb ram.
So this tip for some people is actually very useful.

#4 CommonSense

CommonSense

Super WinMatrixian

• 2,620 posts

Posted 12 January 2009 - 02:05 AM

Good point...
Actually i think that since RAM memory is so cheap these days people should have absolutely non less than 4Gb installed(including laptops), at least to take advantage of all the 32 bits potential.
But in many poor countries around the world you are lucky if you can afford a computer with p3 1GHz and 128Mb ram.
So this tip for some people is actually very useful.

Unless your computer doesn't support more than 2gb of RAM. I'm only allowed 1gb per slot and I only have 2 slots :D

#5 InlineSkate

InlineSkate

WinMatrix Addict

• 3,182 posts

Posted 12 January 2009 - 02:07 AM

There are at least 2 ways to install Windows 7 in a computer with less than 512 mb of ram.
One way is installing Windows 7 with 512 mb of ram and then once Windows is installed you can remove the memory leaving into the system only 128 or 256 mb of ram installed.
The computer should run just fine.
I sold 3 computers, 2 with 256mb and 1 with 128 mb ram with windows 7 up and running just fine...probably even faster that if they would have windows xp.

Another way is modifying windows 7 xml setup data to allow it being installed with less than 512 mb of ram.

Your first method removing memory after its installed if you had the memory to run it in the first place why the hell would you take it out?

#6 User345623

User345623

Aztek

• 55 posts

Posted 12 January 2009 - 02:34 AM

you borrow it from another computer for half hour until windows it´s installed.
of course nobody likes to run windows with less memory.

#7 Villain

Villain

An Old Geek

• Global Moderator
  • 6,000 posts

Posted 12 January 2009 - 03:34 AM

not everyone has the cashflow for more ram. myself included. my PC lives off of 512 ram.

think before you express your line of though, accept that not everyone has a well paying job, and that more that 3/4 of the world lives just to meet ends meet.

some of the greatest PC minds that i know of use lower ended machine just because if there app will work on a low end, then it should do great on a high end.

#8 pm_41

pm_41

CS student

• 1,394 posts

Posted 12 January 2009 - 09:00 AM

not everyone has the cashflow for more ram. myself included. my PC lives off of 512 ram.

think before you express your line of though, accept that not everyone has a well paying job, and that more that 3/4 of the world lives just to meet ends meet.

some of the greatest PC minds that i know of use lower ended machine just because if there app will work on a low end, then it should do great on a high end.

+1

I lived off my good 'ol Compaq DeskPro Pentium II machine (400 MHz, 256 MB RAM) for a good 5 years. Sure, it was sluggish. (It ran Win2k SP4 good, though.) But it got the job done.

*looks at the box in the garage*

#9 XP1

XP1

New WinMatrixian

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 12 January 2009 - 09:12 AM

You sold them? :blink:

I hope you put a big expiration date on those computers (they need it anyway). :lol:

Does the Windows 7 beta expire?
Yes, on 1st August. This from the EULA:
"This software will stop running on August 1, 2009. You may not receive any other notice. You may not be able to access data used with the software when it stops running."

By the way, which XML file do you edit to bypass the RAM restriction?
What do you replace or change in that XML file?

Edited by XP1, 12 January 2009 - 09:14 AM.

#10 janus

janus

New WinMatrixian

• 16 posts

Posted 12 January 2009 - 10:20 AM

Man, i wouldn't sell nobody a PC with windows 7 on it yet, u dunno what kinda bugs it might have and what software will run on it. What kidna testing have u done??

#11 wolken007

wolken007

New WinMatrixian

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 12 January 2009 - 01:53 PM

I can't imagine why anyone would want to run Windows 7 on a computer with less than 1GB of memory. That seems absurd. Also, you are selling PCs with Windows 7 on them? That seems a bit....bogus.

#12 Abhi

Abhi

Geek...

• 1,113 posts

Posted 12 January 2009 - 02:24 PM

Man, i wouldn't sell nobody a PC with windows 7 on it yet, u dunno what kinda bugs it might have and what software will run on it. What kidna testing have u done??

I can't imagine why anyone would want to run Windows 7 on a computer with less than 1GB of memory. That seems absurd. Also, you are selling PCs with Windows 7 on them? That seems a bit....bogus.

And WHAT's Surprising is, 3 People actually BOUGHT them from Him!!! :woot:
Now, "Ignorance is ::really:: Bliss"! ;)

#13 Guylia

Guylia

WinMatrixian

• 174 posts

Posted 12 January 2009 - 03:24 PM

@Villain +1, totally agree.

And why many cool guys with monster 4gb RAM on their PCs want to look even more cool? That's a true computer geek deal - to make impossible come possible. You can't imagine how fascinating is to bring an extremely old computer alive again :)
Ok, sorry for that... seems i'm getting old :D :D

About running win7 on 256Mb... Someone else tried that? Just want to know a bit more about how does it performs there - i mean boottime, superbar etc. (of course not speaking about transparency... that doesn't matter for me)

Edited by Guylia, 12 January 2009 - 03:24 PM.

#14 ritesh

ritesh

WinMatrixian

• 171 posts

Posted 12 January 2009 - 04:10 PM

+1 from me also, I live on AMD 2800+ 1.6 Ghz and 512 MB RAM

#15 Paulus

Paulus

New WinMatrixian

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 12 January 2009 - 06:16 PM

I hope you put a big expiration date on those computers (they need it anyway). :lol:

"This software will stop running on August 1, 2009. You may not receive any other notice. You may not be able to access data used with the software when it stops running."

Hi,

A patched winsetup.dll causes the setup to bypass the memory check; it is possible to install Win7 on a computer with as little as 256 MB!

If you are interested, just try the patched file. I installed Win7 on such a low end machine, and although it is a little slow, it really works!

Here is the patched file: Unfortunately it is not possible to attach the file, so let me know if you like to have it sent to you.

Greetz,

Paulus

#16 Another_User

Another_User

uhmmm...

• 326 posts

Posted 12 January 2009 - 06:52 PM

huh :blink:

I just made a post in the 7Lite NOW! topic saying my comp isn't the fastest... (core2duo)...
I really though ya'll had Quad core, 16gb memory, need to feed @ Macdonalds monster computers....

Edited by Another_User, 12 January 2009 - 06:52 PM.

#17 XP1

XP1

New WinMatrixian

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 12 January 2009 - 07:44 PM

Hi,

A patched winsetup.dll causes the setup to bypass the memory check; it is possible to install Win7 on a computer with as little as 256 MB!

If you are interested, just try the patched file. I installed Win7 on such a low end machine, and although it is a little slow, it really works!

Here is the patched file: Unfortunately it is not possible to attach the file, so let me know if you like to have it sent to you.

Greetz,

Paulus

The winsetup.dll patch was actually for Windows Vista. The patcher file name is "vista_nomem.exe".

I've used the winsetup.dll patcher before to test Vista on a 128MB RAM computer (not so good).

I tried to patch the winsetup.dll from the Windows 7 ISO but the patcher fails (saying that is a bad file?).

Are you saying that I can actually use the Windows Vista winsetup.dll instead of re-patching the Windows 7 winsetup.dll?
Wouldn't that cause some problems?

Or is there an already pre-patched winsetup.dll for Windows 7? Is there a patcher for Windows 7's winsetup.dll?

I'd rather have a modern solution for Windows 7 than use a Vista solution that may cause some incompatibly problems later on.
It looks like the XML editing is the best solution (if User345623 tells us which XML file to edit).

Edited by XP1, 12 January 2009 - 07:46 PM.

#18 XXX111

XXX111

My First Post!

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 12 January 2009 - 09:36 PM

Hi,

Greetz,

Paulus

Edited by XXX111, 16 April 2009 - 09:43 PM.

#19 Paulus

Paulus

New WinMatrixian

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 13 January 2009 - 12:00 PM

You sold them?  :blink:

I hope you put a big expiration date on those computers (they need it anyway).  :lol:

Hi,

Greetz,

Paulus

The winsetup.dll patch was actually for Windows Vista. The patcher file name is "vista_nomem.exe".

I've used the winsetup.dll patcher before to test Vista on a 128MB RAM computer (not so good).

I tried to patch the winsetup.dll from the Windows 7 ISO but the patcher fails (saying that is a bad file?).

Are you saying that I can actually use the Windows Vista winsetup.dll instead of re-patching the Windows 7 winsetup.dll?
Wouldn't that cause some problems?

Or is there an already pre-patched winsetup.dll for Windows 7? Is there a patcher for Windows 7's winsetup.dll?

I'd rather have a modern solution for Windows 7 than use a Vista solution that may cause some incompatibly problems later on.
It looks like the XML editing is the best solution (if User345623 tells us which XML file to edit).

Hi,

I examined the difference betweeen the original winsetup.dll of Vista and the patched one. I found the contents of that difference also in the original winsetup.dll of W7, and changed that to the same contents that I found in the patched Vista winsetup.dll file. And that way I created the patched winsetup.dll for W7! You could do it for yourself, if you like.

And... it really works!

I have to admit: my computer is a bit slow in responding, but everything works, except for the Aero, but that is caused by my very simple videocard.

I hope I have reassured you.

Let me know if you have other questions.

Greetz,

Paulus

#20 AMIRZ

AMIRZ

Loyal Member and Friend

• 2,033 posts

Posted 13 January 2009 - 01:21 PM

Hi,

I examined the difference betweeen the original winsetup.dll of Vista and the patched one. I found the contents of that difference also in the original winsetup.dll of W7, and changed that to the same contents that I found in the patched Vista winsetup.dll file. And that way I created the patched winsetup.dll for W7! You could do it for yourself, if you like.

And... it really works!

I have to admit: my computer is a bit slow in responding, but everything works, except for the Aero, but that is caused by my very simple videocard.

I hope I have reassured you.

Let me know if you have other questions.

Greetz,

Paulus

Hey Paulus interesting topic although my PC runs Windows Seven so well. Btw could you write the guide about how to patch it here or at least upload your patched file e.g to Rapidshare etc (since it's impossible to attach it)? I think that it will be very useful for some people who still have old machines. Thx alot mate :)

Want to comment?

Register or Sign In to go completely ad-free!