• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#21 ShamusHand

ShamusHand

Super WinMatrixian

• 1,574 posts

Posted 17 December 2008 - 01:02 AM

@xsever

Well yes, but as soon as you delete the 7 partition, Windows will not boot (or it might, but still keep a prompt when you start the computer). When you delete the 7 partition, boot into the Windows XP CD, go into the Recovery console, and type in fixmbr and fixboot. Now Windows XP should boot normally, and you can merge the partitions no problem. :)

Edited by ShamusHand, 17 December 2008 - 01:29 AM.

#22 xsever

xsever

ECE

• 996 posts

Posted 17 December 2008 - 03:04 AM

Thanks a lot for the info!

I came across this(HD Hacker) a couple of days ago. I think it is very helpful. I though I'd share it.

Edited by xsever, 17 December 2008 - 03:23 AM.

#23 hakimnama

hakimnama

New WinMatrixian

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 01 January 2009 - 10:34 AM

i have a nvidia xfx geforce 6200 512 mb graphics card...it works in xp. however in windows 7 , it gives a code 43 error. updating drivers doesnt help....any idea what could be going wrong?

-- this is on a 865 gbf intel mobo with integrated graphics.

#24 hakimnama

hakimnama

New WinMatrixian

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 02 January 2009 - 12:03 PM

oh i forgot to add that i am usinng the latest vista drivers for my nvidia 6200 in windows 7
by default win7 detects it and associates nvidia 6200(microsoft WDDM) driver.
in alll cases (win 7 driver or latest vista nvidia driver from website or a older vista driver from cd) it shows a code 43 error.
any way to resolve this?

#25 hakimnama

hakimnama

New WinMatrixian

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 02 January 2009 - 06:33 PM

oh i installed vista and found the drivers working all right!!..
so this is a specific win 7 problem...where do i report this?
also win 7 doesnot recognise the partition xp is on (ntfs C: drive). vista has no problems and recognises tho.

#26 xsever

xsever

ECE

• 996 posts

Posted 02 January 2009 - 08:21 PM

For the XP partiton, you need to go to disk management and enable it from there. I do not exactly remember what I did, but I was able to see it through Windows 7.

#27 hakimnama

hakimnama

New WinMatrixian

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 04 January 2009 - 04:49 AM

oh! .. yeah that works ,xsever that way

#28 kyosan

kyosan

Active WinMatrixian

• 770 posts

Posted 04 January 2009 - 05:21 AM

Just use EasyBCD

Posted Image

#29 yanike

yanike

I am YM. If you don't know me, you will.

• Global Moderator
  • 4,631 posts

Posted 04 January 2009 - 07:22 AM

I dual boot Vista and Windows 7. It works perfectly, everything is fine for me. I haven't used Vista at all since I installed Windows 7. :)

LOL!!!! The same here. I tried using Windows Vista it was so slow I just powered off and went back into 7. On the desktop, I have Windows Vista, Windows 7 and Mac OSX Leopard 10.5.5. On laptop, I had Windows XP Pro Corporate SP3 and Windows 7, but now I'm just using XP Pro Corporate SP3 with Windows Aero Seven XP Theme. XP picks up wifi better on my laptop and also having that space back from testing feels better as well.

VistaBootPro also works great with Windows 7 if you need to fix the bootloader. I installed Windows 7 fresh on the laptop and then XP. Once I installed XP the bootloader only booted XP and VistaBootPro helped me get back and forth through XP and Windows 7. STILL, I recommend installing XP first, so you don't have this problem.

Edited by yanike, 04 January 2009 - 07:24 AM.

#30 simplyss

simplyss

My First Post!

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 04 January 2009 - 07:30 AM

i have xp installed, and i downloaded 7 (iso). but i do not have a dvd drive so what are my options? there was a tutorial which explained how to install win 7 without actually burning a dvd, but in this method it replaces my original os (XP). how do i set up dual boot by this method? my xp is running from c drive, n plan to run 7 from my d drive. could u please explain how to modify this tutorial for a dual boot.

the tutorial is given here

#31 Soduka

Soduka

WinMatrixian

• 65 posts

Posted 04 January 2009 - 01:59 PM

but i do not have a dvd drive so what are my options?

Get a DVD drive. There's your option.

#32 hakimnama

hakimnama

New WinMatrixian

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 04 January 2009 - 03:58 PM

no no i think people got me wrong. my bootloader shows both the entries fine.windows 7 and earlier version of windows. my problem was that once i am in win 7 ,when i click my computer the C drive (on which xp was loaded) did not show. the D drive on which win 7 was loaded was shown as C in win 7 .
however , in xp all the drives were showing properly.

i have xp installed, and i downloaded 7 (iso). but i do not have a dvd drive so what are my options? there was a tutorial which explained how to install win 7 without actually burning a dvd, but in this method it replaces my original os (XP). how do i set up dual boot by this method? my xp is running from c drive, n plan to run 7 from my d drive. could u please explain how to modify this tutorial for a dual boot.

i have done the same thing. here is how i did that:
<optional step> format d drive (or drive u want to install to).keep minimum free space to 10 gb <>
install daemon tools (its is a virtual drive application) in xp. right click and load the iso file in d-tools.
the iso will auto play and win 7 will prompt u to "install now". do that and then u will b given the option to select drive. select your drive and you are done!

#33 shadowfunk

shadowfunk

New WinMatrixian

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 05 February 2009 - 09:53 PM

im having some major problems dual booting xp and windows 7 and looking all over the internet, this looks like a place where i could find some real help.

so i installed windows 7 on a partition. once that was done it only booted into windows 7, with out giving me a boot loader option.
from that i went into window 7( because thats all i could do) and set my xp partition as the active partition.
so now i boot into xp only, which is better than booting into win7 only because everything i have is on my xp os.
but i still have to boot loader option to choose operating systems.
so i started to play with my boot.ini file, but i cant seem to get it to add a working link to the windows 7.
can anyone please help me out? :(

#34 xsever

xsever

ECE

• 996 posts

Posted 05 February 2009 - 10:14 PM

Download and use this

It helped me organize the bootloader.

#35 henrydtv

henrydtv

Super WinMatrixian

• 1,111 posts

Posted 05 February 2009 - 10:27 PM

i dual booted xp and 7 and everything works fine
no driver issues

#36 CommonSense

CommonSense

Super WinMatrixian

• 2,620 posts

Posted 05 February 2009 - 10:51 PM

im having some major problems dual booting xp and windows 7 and looking all over the internet, this looks like a place where i could find some real help.

so i installed windows 7 on a partition. once that was done it only booted into windows 7, with out giving me a boot loader option.
from that i went into window 7( because thats all i could do) and set my xp partition as the active partition.
so now i boot into xp only, which is better than booting into win7 only because everything i have is on my xp os.
but i still have to boot loader option to choose operating systems.
so i started to play with my boot.ini file, but i cant seem to get it to add a working link to the windows 7.
can anyone please help me out? :(

Triple booting XP Vista and 7.

Definitely use EasyBCD that xserver suggested, it will help if you have problems. Weird thing is though is that you installed in oldest to newest so you shouldn't have had any problems.

#37 shadowfunk

shadowfunk

New WinMatrixian

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 05 February 2009 - 10:55 PM

no no theres no vista. its just xp and win7.
i try and run EasyBCD and its telling me its a vista app only?

#38 CommonSense

CommonSense

Super WinMatrixian

• 2,620 posts

Posted 06 February 2009 - 12:00 AM

no no theres no vista. its just xp and win7.
i try and run EasyBCD and its telling me its a vista app only?

It shouldn't. I've used it in XP and 7. Get it from the original site. It's worth a try.

#39 shadowfunk

shadowfunk

New WinMatrixian

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 06 February 2009 - 12:10 AM

after installation, when i go 2 run the exe i receive this message.

"EasyBCD has detect that your BCD boot data and MBR ear either not from the latest version of Windows Vista, or don't yet exist. If you'd like EasyBCD to correct these issues, press OK. This will modify the MBR and requires that you have Windows Vista installed on this machine."

that was from EasyBCD 1.7.2. um..... yeah?
im stuck on this 1

#40 CommonSense

CommonSense

Super WinMatrixian

• 2,620 posts

Posted 06 February 2009 - 12:32 AM

after installation, when i go 2 run the exe i receive this message.

"EasyBCD has detect that your BCD boot data and MBR ear either not from the latest version of Windows Vista, or don't yet exist. If you'd like EasyBCD to correct these issues, press OK. This will modify the MBR and requires that you have Windows Vista installed on this machine."

that was from EasyBCD 1.7.2. um..... yeah?
im stuck on this 1

Oh use your 7 dvd to repair Startup so that its Boot Manager takes over. Then use EasyBCD to edit it. It should allow you to use it then since 7's boot manager is "Vista's".

Want to comment?

Register or Sign In to go completely ad-free!