Dual boot XP & 7

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#1 xsever

xsever

ECE

• 996 posts

Posted 15 December 2008 - 02:58 AM

I did some Google searches to see if anyone dual-booted XP and 7. I found nothing.

Is there something in particular for this or just a coincidence?

Did anyone try it? Could you provide feedback/steps?

Thanks,

#2 ShamusHand

ShamusHand

Super WinMatrixian

• 1,574 posts

Posted 15 December 2008 - 03:12 AM

I have a quint boot between Windows 7, XP, Vista, Ubuntu, and Mac OS X... So i think I can help you here. :lol:

Just make a partition for Windows 7 and install it. It'll automatically set up a dual boot, so when you turn on your computer it will have a prompt to boot into "Windows 7" or "Earlier Version of Windows". :)

#3 xsever

xsever

ECE

• 996 posts

Posted 15 December 2008 - 03:17 AM

You should add Win 2000, 98, and 95 to that list! :D

Thanks for the reply. Are drivers' installation any hassle?

#4 hab

hab

Active WinMatrixian

• 996 posts

Posted 15 December 2008 - 03:35 AM

Yes, I have done it. First download the Windows 7 iso image and burn it to a dvd disc. Then create a partition. This process is different on different operating systems so just google it. I used EASEUS partition manager. After you create a new partition(should be more than 10GB), put the windows 7 disc into your computer. It will run the installer. Make sure you install it on the new partition(the new one is usually E:\) and the rest is pretty straight forward.

#5 xsever

xsever

ECE

• 996 posts

Posted 15 December 2008 - 03:41 AM

Oh i know how to install OSs and all that. I build my own rigs.

I just wanted to know if dual booting XP and 7 will cause any drivers conflicts.

My secondary PC, which is not very new, that I will be testing the 7 on has XP Pro. I am just worried about drivers' conflict and if when I uninstall 7, I will have problems with the original XP.

Thanks,

#6 PUGALENTHI

PUGALENTHI

WinMatrixian

• 181 posts

Posted 15 December 2008 - 01:15 PM

Hi i'm dual booting XP and Windows7..So even i could help you...Acc to me there was no driver conflicts..But for the sound driver i don't think ur driver cd would help,if it does na no props...Suppose if it does not na..Just go into ControlPanel->System and Security->Device Manager and uninstall it..After that just goto View and go for hardware changes and then u will prompted with an install..So first it searches within ur computer just goto change settings and then try searching with Windows Update..Thats all...For ur Video Driver..I think it's better to install the vista driver..

#7 aarohimostwanted

aarohimostwanted

n3o

• 111 posts

Posted 15 December 2008 - 04:01 PM

hey anyone tell me how to set up Leopard as I am already having XP/vista dual boot to make it a tripple boot.......m havin 3 partitions C:(XP), D:(VIsta) and E:(free) all three NTFS............

Do I have to remove XP/Vista first to install leopard as whenever I ttry to install it on the third partition the dsk utility wont format it to HFS journalled extended giving some checksum error....................which leaves me with only one option to format the whole hard drive that I didnt follow...

I successfully installed Leopard but when its the only OS on the PC....I cant set up the dual boot menu which gives all the three options/....like
"Earlier version of Windows"
"Windows Vista"
"Mac OS X"

thx

Edited by aarohimostwanted, 15 December 2008 - 04:04 PM.

#8 Som

Som

Som

• 448 posts

Posted 15 December 2008 - 08:05 PM

basically, you can set up as many partitions as you want

and then install the windows os' according to year,

so if you wanted to you could start with windows 95, and finish with windows 7

#9 yungjay

yungjay

Graphics Designer

• 63 posts

Posted 15 December 2008 - 08:28 PM

I have a quint boot between Windows 7, XP, Vista, Ubuntu, and Mac OS X... So i think I can help you here. :lol:

Just make a partition for Windows 7 and install it. It'll automatically set up a dual boot, so when you turn on your computer it will have a prompt to boot into "Windows 7" or "Earlier Version of Windows". :)

I am currently dual booting Vista and Windows 7. I've always wondered where to get Mac OS X, can I ask where you got it and what its called?

#10 ShamusHand

ShamusHand

Super WinMatrixian

• 1,574 posts

Posted 15 December 2008 - 09:37 PM

I am currently dual booting Vista and Windows 7. I've always wondered where to get Mac OS X, can I ask where you got it and what its called?

I got it from a torrent. I can't tell you exactly, just look for either Kalyway or iAtkos on The Pirate Bay. :)

#11 Culprit

Culprit

I live my life a quarter mile at a time.

• 817 posts

Posted 16 December 2008 - 12:56 AM

I got it from a torrent. I can't tell you exactly, just look for either Kalyway or iAtkos on The Pirate Bay. :)

I got mine the same way but make sure you download the correct version for your chip I had to get a different version then everyone said to because my chips amd 64

#12 Silare Alvreon

Silare Alvreon

WinMatrixian

• 85 posts

Posted 16 December 2008 - 03:26 AM

@SHAMUSHAND: Which version of Windows 7 (build number) did you get to boot alongside Linux and Mac? Did you do it all on one hard drive?

I've been trying to get a Windows 7/Linux Mint/Mac OS X Leopard tri-boot, but when I installed Windows 7, I couldn't boot into Mac from the Windows Bootloader until I reset the boot flag onto Mac OS X Leopard. After changing the boot flag to Mac OS X Leopard however, Windows 7 would never boot again.

Can you explain how you did what you did in terms of getting Windows 7 and Mac OS X to work together?

#13 xsever

xsever

ECE

• 996 posts

Posted 16 December 2008 - 07:39 PM

I am still debating dual booting XP and 7 because of drivers issues.

The system I will dual boot on, which is my secondary system, is old (2005). All the drivers that came with the components when I built it are for XP. Do you think this is an issue and I need to look for drivers that will work with Vista so that 7 recognizes it? Or the original drivers (designed for XP) should do the job?

Thanks,

Edited by xsever, 16 December 2008 - 07:40 PM.

#14 ShamusHand

ShamusHand

Super WinMatrixian

• 1,574 posts

Posted 16 December 2008 - 09:19 PM

@SHAMUSHAND: Which version of Windows 7 (build number) did you get to boot alongside Linux and Mac? Did you do it all on one hard drive?

I've been trying to get a Windows 7/Linux Mint/Mac OS X Leopard tri-boot, but when I installed Windows 7, I couldn't boot into Mac from the Windows Bootloader until I reset the boot flag onto Mac OS X Leopard. After changing the boot flag to Mac OS X Leopard however, Windows 7 would never boot again.

Can you explain how you did what you did in terms of getting Windows 7 and Mac OS X to work together?

Quite simply, it's all universally under GRUB. When you install Mac OS X, install the old boot loader (not Chameleon) and find a copy of boot_v8 on Google. Then just put it in the /Boot/Grub directory and add it to menu.lst. :)

I am still debating dual booting XP and 7 because of drivers issues.

The system I will dual boot on, which is my secondary system, is old (2005). All the drivers that came with the components when I built it are for XP. Do you think this is an issue and I need to look for drivers that will work with Vista so that 7 recognizes it? Or the original drivers (designed for XP) should do the job?

Thanks,

Try to find Windows Vista drivers for it first, then go with the XP drivers. I have one little problem - the sound card that came with my computer works in Vista with the XP driver, but not in Windows 7. So results may vary depending on your machine. :)

#15 xsever

xsever

ECE

• 996 posts

Posted 16 December 2008 - 09:28 PM

@ShamusHand

Thanks for the help man. Your nickname should be "The Boot Master" :D

I read in one of your deviantart posts that you are running a Celeron D. My secondary system has a Celeron D 2.8GHZ. I just wanted to know how is it performing with 7?

#16 ShamusHand

ShamusHand

Super WinMatrixian

• 1,574 posts

Posted 16 December 2008 - 09:52 PM

It's actually holding up really well. It doesn't run very well on Vista, but with Windows 7, it runs as fast XP (and that's impressive, considering it has Aero and everything). Here's a screenshot. :)

Edited by ShamusHand, 16 December 2008 - 09:54 PM.

#17 yungjay

yungjay

Graphics Designer

• 63 posts

Posted 16 December 2008 - 10:57 PM

I dual boot Vista and Windows 7. It works perfectly, everything is fine for me. I haven't used Vista at all since I installed Windows 7. :)

#18 Eye Pie Rate

Eye Pie Rate

Super WinMatrixian

• 2,180 posts

Posted 16 December 2008 - 11:06 PM

It's actually holding up really well. It doesn't run very well on Vista, but with Windows 7, it runs as fast XP (and that's impressive, considering it has Aero and everything). Here's a screenshot. :)

Depending on your specs, they are both faster.

#19 xsever

xsever

ECE

• 996 posts

Posted 16 December 2008 - 11:12 PM

@ShamusHand

That's pretty impressive for a Celeron.
Let's say I installed 7 on another partition, used it for a while, and then decided to get rid of it. Would I just delete the partition I installed it on, and then re-partition it and join it with the XP one?

#20 Silare Alvreon

Silare Alvreon

WinMatrixian

• 85 posts

Posted 17 December 2008 - 12:15 AM

@SHAMUSHAND: Ahh, nice. All GRUB? Well, Mac boots fine as long as it's not Windows with the bootflag trying to do the job. It's just that when I installed Win7, it acted up. Thanks a lot though, man. I'll try it out.

Want to comment?

Register or Sign In to go completely ad-free!