Apple's 3D Desktop Revealed!

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 SharmanNet

SharmanNet

Super WinMatrixian

• 1,543 posts

Posted 12 December 2008 - 03:29 AM

Dozens of Apple patent applications were published today revealing research that Apple had done in 2007 on many topics encompassing future versions of Mac OS X. The most intriguing is a series of patent applications which describe a "Multidimensional" user interface. Apple has essentially been working on true 3D desktop environments.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

It's not clear when and if Apple will decide to implement these design ideas into a future version of Mac OS X.

Mac Rumors

#2 Minga

Minga

Minganator

• 246 posts

Posted 12 December 2008 - 03:40 AM

Looks interesting...are those blueprints?

#3 Syzygy

Syzygy

Zing.

• 3,470 posts

Posted 12 December 2008 - 03:46 AM

It looks...confusing...

Most people would probably try shoving their heads into their monitors.

#4 ShamusHand

ShamusHand

Super WinMatrixian

• 1,574 posts

Posted 12 December 2008 - 03:56 AM

Looks interesting...are those blueprints?

No... It's a diagram they came up with to patent the concept.

IMO, it reminds me of BumpTop, with the boxes and the 3D windows, it might turn out pretty cool. :)

Edited by ShamusHand, 12 December 2008 - 03:58 AM.

#5 Makaizen

Makaizen

New WinMatrixian

• 36 posts

Posted 12 December 2008 - 04:05 AM

So it's like a rotating cube or something? Like of like Deskspace? http://www.otakusoft...pace/index.html

#6 yanike

yanike

I am YM. If you don't know me, you will.

• Global Moderator
  • 4,631 posts

Posted 12 December 2008 - 04:28 AM

looks good.... but I'd rather stick with Linux. Also, linux users have something similar and better structured.

Bumptop does have this design so how can apple patent it?

#7 FalseAgent

FalseAgent

your average joe (tm)

• Elites
  • 6,694 posts

Posted 12 December 2008 - 07:44 AM

apple's OSX is epic phail these days, but something at the back of my head keeps telling me that apple might just come back with some super hit version of OSX, so...i'm waiting...

....and still waiting. Apple is being seriously quiet about thier stuff.

#8 Munkypoo7

Munkypoo7

Proud WinMatrix Member

• 1,015 posts

Posted 12 December 2008 - 10:16 AM

apple's OSX is epic phail these days, but something at the back of my head keeps telling me that apple might just come back with some super hit version of OSX, so...i'm waiting...

....and still waiting. Apple is being seriously quiet about thier stuff.

+1

---
Just another crappy yet shiny looking THING from apple, which is exactly what we've come to expect from them, whoopty doo

#9 fediaFedia

fediaFedia

Super WinMatrixian

• Elites
  • 2,553 posts

Posted 12 December 2008 - 12:09 PM

Wasn't this already done? I remember reading about something similar in a 2007 magazine

#10 PRATOSH

PRATOSH

WINMATRIX DEVELOPER.

• 563 posts

Posted 12 December 2008 - 12:48 PM

ha ha apple has did it again the most creative of them all.more creative than microsoft,linux and oh well yanikes operating system.apple has always rocked the computer industry and microsoft are just plain copycats.by just making the taskbars prettier and prettier they make users feel that they have done a lot.just look at apple time machine,finder,cover flow,spaces and oh well apple has the guts to tell every single one of their 300 features in detail not like microsoft.but a stupid idiot like steve is bringing the company to ruins.cmon steve unleash the leopard out of macs and onto pcs and your iphone out of at and t and just see apple take the world and make microsoft as a micro software company.

#11 InlineSkate

InlineSkate

WinMatrix Addict

• 3,182 posts

Posted 12 December 2008 - 12:48 PM

just seems like eye candy tbh

#12 InlineSkate

InlineSkate

WinMatrix Addict

• 3,182 posts

Posted 12 December 2008 - 01:24 PM

Time Machine -- Screams system restore
Finder -- Thought of way before tiger existed
Cover flow -- Actually isn't even there idea they bought it

We are pleased to announce that all CoverFlow technology and intellectual property was recently sold to Apple. It has been incorporated into the latest version of iTunes.

http://www.steelskies.com/coverflow/?
Apple doesn't innovate they claim programs from other developers and then act like they don't recognize it.

Apple is just as bad as MS lol...

MS comes up with the concepts Apple beats them to the release then claims there copying then the MAC Fanboys after sucking steve job's dick of course follow through and claim that as well

Edited by InlineSkate, 12 December 2008 - 01:26 PM.

#13 yanike

yanike

• Global Moderator
  • 4,631 posts

Posted 12 December 2008 - 06:37 PM

ha ha apple has did it again the most creative of them all.more creative than microsoft,linux and oh well yanikes operating system.apple has always rocked the computer industry and microsoft are just plain copycats.by just making the taskbars prettier and prettier they make users feel that they have done a lot.just look at apple time machine,finder,cover flow,spaces and oh well apple has the guts to tell every single one of their 300 features in detail not like microsoft.but a stupid idiot like steve is bringing the company to ruins.cmon steve unleash the leopard out of macs and onto pcs and your iphone out of at and t and just see apple take the world and make microsoft as a micro software company.

lol. yeah right. not.

checkout this video

I knew I've seen something similar to the design of this, but it was a portal of some sort
http://www.cubiceye.net/

So, again Apple isn't the first to think up of this.

Edited by yanike, 12 December 2008 - 06:48 PM.

#14 adrynalyne

adrynalyne

Active WinMatrixian

• 903 posts

Posted 12 December 2008 - 07:47 PM

*sniff*

You smell that?

That is the stench of an apple fanboy.

Every feature you mentioned is not an innovation. Cover flow=Neat eye candy. Time machine= a front end for what VSS has been doing since at least XP, and maybe even 2k. Not a bad feature, but not innovation either. Spaces...../yawn, virtual desktop apps are a dime a dozen and been around for a very long time.

As far as I am concerned, a 3d interface = epic fail. You'd spend more time trying to find a way to use it, that it would hinder productivity.

Nothing more than a toy, at this point of time.

#15 yanike

yanike

• Global Moderator
  • 4,631 posts

Posted 12 December 2008 - 08:58 PM

adrynalyne,
OH MAN!!! I just thought of something great. Oh Man! This idea is going to be great.

Thanks

Edited by yanike, 12 December 2008 - 09:19 PM.

#16 ShamusHand

ShamusHand

Super WinMatrixian

• 1,574 posts

Posted 12 December 2008 - 11:09 PM

just seems like eye candy tbh

Well... Computers are getting to the point were they do everything they're supposed to do, really... What else is there to come up with?

Edited by ShamusHand, 12 December 2008 - 11:10 PM.

#17 fediaFedia

fediaFedia

Super WinMatrixian

• Elites
  • 2,553 posts

Posted 13 December 2008 - 12:26 AM

Looking Glass anyone?

#18 yanike

yanike

• Global Moderator
  • 4,631 posts

Posted 13 December 2008 - 12:43 AM

Looking Glass anyone?

That's the OS on the video I posted about earlier. I was wondering what the name was.

#19 Secured Tim

Secured Tim

Call me Tim

• 2,085 posts

Posted 13 December 2008 - 05:33 AM

Now when we have the images, I hope someone would come up with a working Windows program soon. :D

#20 coldemone

coldemone

Sleeping Winmatrixian

• 2,029 posts

Posted 13 December 2008 - 10:32 AM

Apple OS is a toy. No matter how you like the toy, you just play with it. And grow with it. Then it become used for other stuff.

Want to comment?

Register or Sign In to go completely ad-free!