Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Xbox 360 vs Playstation 3: Graphics Comparison

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

Poll: Which game console do you have? (124 member(s) have cast votes)

X360 vs PS3

1. Xbox 360 (30 votes [25.00%])

Percentage of vote: 25.00%

2. Voted Playstation 3 (36 votes [30.00%])

Percentage of vote: 30.00%

3. Wii (11 votes [9.17%])

Percentage of vote: 9.17%

4. PC (43 votes [35.83%])

Percentage of vote: 35.83%

Vote Please sign in to vote.

#21 FalseAgent

FalseAgent

your average joe (tm)

• Elites
  • 6,694 posts

Posted 12 December 2008 - 07:30 AM

okay, after reading all the posts, I'd rather go get a PS3.

#22 gergux

gergux

Pirate = Noob Human

• 363 posts

Posted 12 December 2008 - 12:34 PM

Now if only Nvidia would release its Video driver for the ps3 to the Linux community. As it stands Linux video is software rendered rather than hardware. Still makes for an awesome workstation as well!

Watch Video Regarding Linux on PS3

#23 ThunderROM

ThunderROM

Super WinMatrixian

• 2,628 posts

Posted 12 December 2008 - 02:28 PM

^ It's a great video! I wish if I could install Linux or Windows on my Xbox 360. :P

#24 Syzygy

Syzygy

Zing.

• 3,470 posts

Posted 12 December 2008 - 02:47 PM

Will PS3 support 1440p ?

EDIT: YUP! http://www.engadgeth...0p-lcd-in-2007/

so keep an eye out for a PlayStation 3 software update to 1440p, the only true definition of HD.

1920p is coming out soon aswell...PS4 or something would be out then though :) Sony makes kick-ass-bravia-tv's

Woops, looks like Sharp has already made an experimental 2080p, that's right 2080p TV.

http://boardsus.play...sage.id=1069516

Edited by Syzygy, 12 December 2008 - 02:51 PM.

#25 Eye Pie Rate

Eye Pie Rate

Super WinMatrixian

• 2,180 posts

Posted 12 December 2008 - 05:23 PM

HD TV is not the future, O-Led tv's are coming. http://uk.youtube.co...h?v=3Ufs9Wx0VXQ

Edited by Eye Pie Rate, 12 December 2008 - 05:23 PM.

#26 Merforga

Merforga

Iron Man = Fe Male?

• 1,089 posts

Posted 12 December 2008 - 07:18 PM

The PC's graphics will never be surpassed, just because it is the most customizable of any system. Every year new processors, video cards, etc. are released, while the 360, PS3, and Wii have to stick with their old outdated technology for the next 4 years.

#27 lareeth

lareeth

Super WinMatrixian

• 1,166 posts

Posted 13 December 2008 - 12:06 AM

HD TV is not the future, O-Led tv's are coming. http://uk.youtube.co...h?v=3Ufs9Wx0VXQ

You are talking about 2 different technology's there,

HDTV is a resolution that a device can show

OLED is a type of screen technology

For instance, you can get a LCD SDTV, TFT HDTV, Plasma SDTV, OLED HDTV etc

#28 Syzygy

Syzygy

Zing.

• 3,470 posts

Posted 13 December 2008 - 01:18 AM

I'd love to hook one of those..say 40inch, 2cm thick TV's to my computer...look so good :drool:

#29 Secured Tim

Secured Tim

Call me Tim

• 2,079 posts

Posted 13 December 2008 - 05:31 AM

Any display which supports 1920x1080 progressive resolution is a full HD TV. O-Led, LCD or Plasma has nothing to do with it.

#30 Jo-Mamma

Jo-Mamma

WinMatrixian

• 87 posts

Posted 13 December 2008 - 11:41 AM

I think this thread is a big red flag: "FLAME WAR HERE" no matter how much you stimulate it's just for 'educational' or 'research' or even discussion purposes.

But with that said....

I'm for the PS3. Why? Well:

A) Because I bought one and it's worked flawless since day one - compared to the like, 12 or so Xbox 360's I've gotten (three of which I've paid retail for..).

B) The PS3 has the technology built-in and is not as proprietary (better value). I can actually use any generic hard-drive if I want to upgrade or have to replace from a failure. Versus dishing out $200+ for a 20GB/60GB drive. In addition, the PS3 has wireless built in and I don't need to drop $100+ for a wireless adapter. Did I mention my PS3 controllers actually come with a rechargeable battery and I'm not forced to buy rechargeable double AA batteries or a battery pack? Hell, my PS3 controller retails for $10 less... That's only half my complaints.

C) I don't have to dish out $60+ every year to play a damn video game online. I don't care how 'fancy' the Xbox Live service is, if I want online social tools I'll use my FREE Facebook account or one of the million other free online social sites. *Rolls eyes*

D) It's not made by Microsoft... =) (PS3) Do you catch my drift? Not a happy Microsoft experienced user/ex-customer. No matter what area, they always eff-up me or themselves.

Anyways. That's that. It's 4 major highlights why I prefer an apple over a lemon (lemon can stand for many things in my experience for this case =/).

Regardless how curious someone is, I think these side-by-side comparisons are foolish and almost useless - simply put I fail to understand the point..lol. While playing the games you'll literally notice ZERO difference, even if one console completely turned some major off, intentionally.

Both consoles differ greatly from a technical standpoint in programing fundamentals. Many developers still struggle with the PS3's complicated architecture - so really I'm not surprised sometimes when I see minor differences in the PS3's version compared to some equivalent on a different platform.

With that said, I never really seen one game look identical on different platforms in my life, as all platforms handle things a little different from one to the next and developers don't really look for those differences. As long as it plays their happy...

But to avoid a major flame-war or debate I'll leave it at that. I'm for the PS3 since I'm still waiting to get a working Xbox 360 that I can play for longer then an hour.

*Shakes knuckle* Damn you Microsoft!

#31 ThunderROM

ThunderROM

Super WinMatrixian

• 2,628 posts

Posted 13 December 2008 - 11:53 AM

I think these side-by-side comparisons are foolish and almost useless

No I think these are very useful. Looks at the MC vs DC screenshots, PS3 has dull graphics and in Fallout 3 the water reflection is gone!

PS3 hardware is better but after more than 2 years, PS3 still lacks in graphics! I know PS3 is "future proof" but right now I'll go for Xbox 360.

#32 Eye Pie Rate

Eye Pie Rate

Super WinMatrixian

• 2,180 posts

Posted 13 December 2008 - 11:57 AM

I think these side-by-side comparisons are foolish and almost useless

No I think these are very useful. Looks at the MC vs DC screenshots, PS3 has dull graphics and in Fallout 3 the water reflection is gone!

PS3 hardware is better but after more than 2 years, PS3 still lacks in graphics! I know PS3 is "future proof" but right now I'll go for Xbox 360.

"Dull Graphics"

Its because of the settings, you can set the PS3 to FULL HDMI, it makes it alot brighter and improves the graphics abit, also i garantuee you that the PS3 screenshots are NOT on a FULL HD TV, making it unfair because it does not show its true potentual.

Here is a video to what i mean:
http://uk.youtube.co...h?v=5HvdRfUmoqQ

#33 AMIRZ

AMIRZ

Loyal Member and Friend

• 2,033 posts

Posted 14 December 2008 - 02:25 AM

PS3 (Y) !

agreed with Cap'n n Jo-Mamma :D

#34 Minga

Minga

Minganator

• 246 posts

Posted 14 December 2008 - 05:01 AM

Hardware-wise and performance (in terms of video playback) the PS3 is superior

#35 Jo-Mamma

Jo-Mamma

WinMatrixian

• 87 posts

Posted 15 December 2008 - 07:20 PM

PS3 has dull graphics

Like I stated in my post, Fallout 3's pitfall on the PS3 is the developers lack of ability - Hence why the PS3 version is more buggy then all the other platforms the game is also available on. Really that's all the proof I need; The developers lack the experience and knowledge to program effectively for the PS3. And that's why glitchy graphics such as non-existent shadows and water reflections problems exist along with gameplay bugs.

Still really not enough for me to go running back to my pile of 360's to be honest.. lol

The Xbox 360 is already, and has been for the last year (from what developers claim) at it's graphical potential peak - meaning the graphics won't get any better then they are now. Which is horrible news for anyone buying a 360 right now or has recently - I see it as a big red-flag that the 360 has run it's course and Microsoft is due to release a new platform. But that's just my speculation - they may get another year out of it - max. Hopefully longer..

Within the next few months Sony should be unlocking all the cores on the PS3 and that will open the doors to even more potential for better game play and graphical features (More power = more possibilities = less technical restrictions = developers adore). So if everything does go to Sony's plan B: the PS3 will become the more 'preferred' platform for developers as they'd have less restrictions (which means better gameplay possibilities and better graphics) - which should result in the PS3 getting a huge leap on the Xbox. Let's face it, everyone always buys what has the best graphics typically, this thread contributes to that fact..

Anyways, with all that speculation and facts said: they both play games, so I don't really care.. lol

#36 BigBadAss

BigBadAss

New WinMatrixian

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 15 December 2008 - 07:32 PM

of course xbox360 ..ps3 is much like ipod both are useless ....if i want a decorate part for my house console ....i would prefer the PC :D ..SPECIALLY IT'S MORE POWERFUL :D
IT makes me laugh when i see someone say that developer aren't good enough to make good application for it...as i know developers are very smart people with wide knowledge ...so why do we blame them for complicated hardware designs NO one have the gut to say that his beloved ps3 is too complicated which is a stupid thing ....

Edited by BigBadAss, 15 December 2008 - 07:49 PM.

#37 Eye Pie Rate

Eye Pie Rate

Super WinMatrixian

• 2,180 posts

Posted 15 December 2008 - 08:00 PM

@ Jo-mamma, that is not it at all.

Read my post.
http://www.winmatrix...?...21306&st=32

Edited by Eye Pie Rate, 15 December 2008 - 08:01 PM.

#38 ~{/^OoMoO^\}~

~{/^OoMoO^\}~

Active WinMatrixian

• 517 posts

Posted 24 February 2009 - 12:31 PM

Why don't Sony unlock all the PS3 cells to increase the performance?

#39 _akier_

_akier_

Coming.

• 693 posts

Posted 24 February 2009 - 12:50 PM

how about buying both and stop comparing?

its like trying to compare something to itself.

point is, both the 360 and the PS3 are superior in hardware.

Also, if you will notice, the ps3 setting here, is not in FULL HDMI.

#40 Syzygy

Syzygy

Zing.

• 3,470 posts

Posted 24 February 2009 - 12:50 PM

Why don't Sony unlock all the PS3 cells to increase the performance?

Theres no point, the GPU would bottleneck the PS3.

Unless ofcourse, it was only CPU powered.

Want to comment?

Register or Sign In to go completely ad-free!