• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 phoenix_abhi

phoenix_abhi

Phoenix

• 787 posts

Posted 05 December 2008 - 05:19 AM

From Paul Thurrott's super site for windows

Microsoft's decision to finely tune every nook and cranny in its upcoming Windows 7 operating system in a bid to dramatically simplify the system. This work is valuable and necessary. But I'm worried that Microsoft is turning Windows into an OS that is far more like the Mac than previous Windows versions. And that's not necessarily a good thing. That's because Windows 7 is turning into something that is simple, but not easy.

An interesting read

#2 pm_41

pm_41

CS student

• 1,394 posts

Posted 05 December 2008 - 05:43 AM

Very interesting...

I agree with the fact that the Windows UI hasn't really been changed much since the Windows 95 days. Sure, it looks better. But it reality it has the same functionality of the old taskbar. It just has some new bells & whistles.

However, if MS were to change it, users around the world would probably have to learn how to use a computer all over again.

That's the argument...

#3 Ajust

Ajust

WinMatrixian

• 95 posts

Posted 05 December 2008 - 04:41 PM

I love this article.

"So with this release, the company is instead taking the decades-old, convoluted, and complicated Windows UI and giving it a spit shine."

This quote is a bit harsh, but I love what he's getting at, and I totally agree.

#4 phoenix_abhi

phoenix_abhi

Phoenix

• 787 posts

Posted 05 December 2008 - 06:05 PM

I could go on and on if I wanted, but I think you get the idea. Windows 7 basically takes Windows one step closer to the design aesthetic of the Mac, where form is valued over function. I'm not sure this is the right strategy. Simplicity, taken in isolation, may seem like a good idea. But I'm afraid that in Windows 7, Microsoft is sacrificing too much in its bid to be more like Apple. And it's the users of Windows who will pay the price.

I think we need MS to maintain its Windows way, not Mac or Linux.

If MS producing similarities to Mac or Linux, why we need a new OS from them? There are a sea of choices available

#5 Villain

Villain

An Old Geek

• Global Moderator
  • 6,003 posts

Posted 05 December 2008 - 06:59 PM

going to read now.

#6 Villain

Villain

An Old Geek

• Global Moderator
  • 6,003 posts

Posted 05 December 2008 - 07:32 PM

very interesting to read. he has some good points in the article, like how the way that the OS has not REALLY changes since the XEROX PARC days.

#7 Afzal

Afzal

Super WinMatrixian

• 1,668 posts

Posted 05 December 2008 - 11:31 PM

yes, i want a mac i want a mac clone !! wohoo and that too from MS!! YES YES YES!!!!!!! :P

#8 Syzygy

Syzygy

Zing.

• 3,470 posts

Posted 06 December 2008 - 01:05 AM

yes, i want a mac i want a mac clone !! wohoo and that too from MS!! YES YES YES!!!!!!! :P

I hope that is sarcasm. :o

#9 CommonSense

CommonSense

Super WinMatrixian

• 2,620 posts

Posted 06 December 2008 - 04:02 AM

It's weird. MS changed (I mean location) around. I mean it really isn't a big deal to the user, but to developers it could be. But it's mostly for Personal Docs and such. It's a shame there trying to hard to compete with Apple, where, in my opinion, they don't need to compete at all.

#10 coldemone

coldemone

Sleeping Winmatrixian

• 2,029 posts

Posted 06 December 2008 - 07:25 AM

I'm also anxious about the superbar like him. I would like a superbar, but i would separate or identify shortcuts from tasks. It will not comingle that good.

#11 G3ZZY

G3ZZY

New WinMatrixian

• 18 posts

Posted 14 December 2008 - 03:43 PM

It's seems like MS just can't get right no matter what they do, I mean they do it right but then it's not good enough or just wrong, they did very good on XP but really, when they are going to do something simple AND easy?

#12 Eye Pie Rate

Eye Pie Rate

Super WinMatrixian

• 2,180 posts

Posted 14 December 2008 - 04:01 PM

Hypocrites.

I remember the XP release
Here are what people said

"Its too slow!"
"Its just 2000 with some colour!"

Look at XP now, its a legendary OS.

Want to comment?

Register or Sign In to go completely ad-free!